Anybody heard back from SMU? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DallasJosh

New

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Post by DallasJosh » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:40 pm

houstonlonghorn wrote:Does anyone else fear they use these phone calls to determine worthy scholarship recipients?!
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think they just make the call to congratulate you, then move on to the next admit. I would seriously doubt they make any kinds of notes or allow a 15 second phone call to persuade them either way. Now, if you dropped a few vulgarities and said some choice things, that might leave a bad impression. But, other than that, forget about it. No worries...

kormybear

New

Post by kormybear » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:01 pm

Anyone get fin-aid info yet? I got the call on Jan 30 and they said it would be sent out in 2-3 weeks. I really want to see what their aid package is gonna be. If the aid they award is 30%+, I'm going to SMU without question. If it is less, I'll need to see what some other schools say. But I really want to go to SMU so I hope they make it affordable for me!

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:49 pm

Nothing yet, but I remember the same timeline as you - 2 to 3 weeks from Jan. 30. Hopefully we will begin to get our scholly info in the mail this week, as last week was the 3 week mark since the calls...

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:21 pm

bcb1986 wrote:
perin wrote:Add me to the list. My person didn't sound too enthusiastic, can't say I blame her, she has probably had to make calls all day long. No mention of scholarships. :cry:
They had an ASD today, too (that may be why she sounded tired). Wish I could've made it. I called financial aid earlier this week and they said that they were running late on scholarship offers, but they said we should expect it to take at least another two weeks.
If bcb1986 received good info, we may be in for a few more frustratingly quiet weeks. I certainly hope not, but I'm also not hopeful for a quick scholarship response.

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:22 pm

I was thinking that they would do scholarship offers in batches like they did the acceptances. ED admits get their scholarship offers first, then they send others by wave of admits regular decision. I guess they could just do them all at once, though... murmur...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

screech

New

Post by screech » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:24 pm

DallasJosh wrote:I was thinking that they would do scholarship offers in batches like they did the acceptances. ED admits get their scholarship offers first, then they send others by wave of admits regular decision. I guess they could just do them all at once, though... murmur...
Any day now!

kormybear

New

Post by kormybear » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:35 pm

UPDATE ON SMU FINANCIAL AID

I spoke with the admissions office at SMU yesterday. They told me that at the end of January they expected financial aid to be awarded 2-3 weeks later. Things are different now. They have yet to award said financial aid, (although I assume a select few got aid with their acceptance letters) and they now hope to award aid in 3-4 weeks. Which sucks a little, cuz i was really hoping to get a 30-50% scholarship (or more I WISH) so that I could make SMU "The one," tell every other school to piss-off, and move on with my life. But now I'll have to wait longer and see what happens with them and other schools. Oh well.

Anyway, I hope this is useful to people.

art vandelay

Bronze

Post by art vandelay » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:25 pm

kormybear wrote:UPDATE ON SMU FINANCIAL AID

I spoke with the admissions office at SMU yesterday. They told me that at the end of January they expected financial aid to be awarded 2-3 weeks later. Things are different now. They have yet to award said financial aid, (although I assume a select few got aid with their acceptance letters) and they now hope to award aid in 3-4 weeks. Which sucks a little, cuz i was really hoping to get a 30-50% scholarship (or more I WISH) so that I could make SMU "The one," tell every other school to piss-off, and move on with my life. But now I'll have to wait longer and see what happens with them and other schools. Oh well.

Anyway, I hope this is useful to people.
Sheesh. They're gonna lose lots of students who are getting nervous about fast approaching deposit deadlines at other schools. 4 weeks from now is cutting it reaaally close.

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:48 pm

Things must be really hectic up there, going from a 2 to 3 week timeline to a 6 to 7 week one. Guess we've got nohing better to do than wait it out... *sigh*

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bcb1986

New

Post by bcb1986 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:06 pm

betasteve wrote:Anyone care to elaborate on what us new admits are likely to see in our admit packages, other than the aforementioned housing information?
The standard acceptance letter, info on admitted student days, deposit forms, scholarship/financial aid info, health forms, campus/dallas maps, a brochure on the rec, a student handbook, and the housing guide.

Archon D: terrorface

New

Post by Archon D: terrorface » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:14 pm

bcb1986 wrote:
betasteve wrote:Anyone care to elaborate on what us new admits are likely to see in our admit packages, other than the aforementioned housing information?
The standard acceptance letter, info on admitted student days, deposit forms, scholarship/financial aid info, health forms, campus/dallas maps, a brochure on the rec, a student handbook, and the housing guide.
Oh oh oh, and it all comes wrapped in a lovely blue SMU Dedman School of Law folder. Pretty classy.

Also, did anyone else get a personal note typed into their acceptance letter about the adcom's points of interest in admission?

houstonlonghorn

New

Post by houstonlonghorn » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:19 pm

DallasJosh wrote:
houstonlonghorn wrote:Does anyone else fear they use these phone calls to determine worthy scholarship recipients?!
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think they just make the call to congratulate you, then move on to the next admit. I would seriously doubt they make any kinds of notes or allow a 15 second phone call to persuade them either way. Now, if you dropped a few vulgarities and said some choice things, that might leave a bad impression. But, other than that, forget about it. No worries...
Thanks for the reassuring words DJ. I think I was just going through a paranoid/egocentric moment to think they would care that much about little old me. :lol: Hopefully I get some financial aid or scholarship.

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:26 pm

Archon D: terrorface wrote: Also, did anyone else get a personal note typed into their acceptance letter about the adcom's points of interest in admission?

I had a comment in my acceptance letter about my work experience. I thought that was nice, but I'm a pushover. :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

screech

New

Post by screech » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:33 pm

nontradintexas wrote:
Archon D: terrorface wrote: Also, did anyone else get a personal note typed into their acceptance letter about the adcom's points of interest in admission?

I had a comment in my acceptance letter about my work experience. I thought that was nice, but I'm a pushover. :D
Yes, i got one. It was a one sentence..."we especially liked (insert accomplishment here)" But it was a nice effort. Someone had to type it in there, even if it was into a mail merge!

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:44 pm

Well, one thing is for sure. After this whole process is over, we will all be much more experienced in the "patience" department.

santdani

New

Post by santdani » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:06 am

got the package today!!! It says that scholly notification (if at all) should come in a few weeks....here s to hoping!

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:39 pm

Received my scholarship offer in the mail today. Not as much as I had hoped for, but I am thankful to have received something, at least. Going to have to do some serious number-crunching now if I'm not asked to interview for Hatton Sumner...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bcb1986

New

Post by bcb1986 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:46 pm

DallasJosh wrote:Received my scholarship offer in the mail today. Not as much as I had hoped for, but I am thankful to have received something, at least. Going to have to do some serious number-crunching now if I'm not asked to interview for Hatton Sumner...
argh. i'm in the metroplex, and i didn't get anything in the mail today. i hope this doesn't mean i'm not getting any money at all.

jaxon05

New

Post by jaxon05 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:50 pm

Out of curiosity, DallasJosh, when were you accepted/how much time elapsed before you got your scholarship?

bcb1986

New

Post by bcb1986 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:01 pm

DallasJosh- did your status checker change to reflect a scholarship offer?

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:03 pm

jaxon05 wrote:Out of curiosity, DallasJosh, when were you accepted/how much time elapsed before you got your scholarship?
Got the acceptance call on Jan. 30.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jtw1386

New

Post by jtw1386 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:17 pm

Just my scholarship today in the mail too. Its the Dean's Scholarhsip.

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:59 pm

jtw1386 wrote:Just my scholarship today in the mail too. Its the Dean's Scholarhsip.

+1 - I'm in the Austin area.

I like the fact that the only stipulation for renewal is that I remain "in good standing".

Does anyone know if the Hatton Sumner is the only full-tuition they give?

Also, anyone have insight on negotiating scholarships with SMU? I've read other threads about it, but didn't know if anyone had heard/knew someone who has done it with SMU.

Alison585

New

Post by Alison585 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:05 pm

For those of you that have heard back from SMU what was shown under the Mailings section on your status checker? Or was nothing ever shown in the Mailings section on your status checker?

Also, before you were accepted did your just status show Application Completed...or did it say Application in Review?

Thanks for your help!

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:21 pm

My status checker hasn't changed at all since the day I got the acceptance call Jan. 30. Nothing in the mailings field or anywhere else. Wish I could be of more help...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”