Anybody heard back from SMU?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
screech

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby screech » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:10 pm

bcb1986 wrote:
DallasJosh wrote:Not that it really means anything, but I did a little digging back through this thread and people's profiles to compile the numbers for these three "groups" SMU seems to be putting together. See below:

Held for Further Review (Deferred to regular admission cycle)
167/3.7
166/3.2
155/3.6
xxx/3.7

Decision Reached
155/3.59

Date updated, but still listed as "Application Complete"
172/3.1 - non trad
170/2.8 - non trad
165/3.95
161/3.6
158/3.6
xxx/3.8

After looking at these numbers closely, I am more convinced than ever that none of us know what the hell is going on. We'll just have to sit tight until early-to-mid next week when the mail starts coming in, I think...

** feel free to add your numbers to this list so we can get a broader survey grouping.

Mine is 3.93/159 app complete with new date (1/28/09) Non trad. applied to both ft and pt and "JD Evening"

nmazsd

Postby nmazsd » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:36 pm

DallasJosh wrote:Not that it really means anything, but I did a little digging back through this thread and people's profiles to compile the numbers for these three "groups" SMU seems to be putting together. See below:

167/3.7
166/3.2
155/3.6
xxx/3.7

Decision Reached
155/3.59

172/3.1 - non trad
170/2.8 - non trad
165/3.95
161/3.6
158/3.6
xxx/3.8

After looking at these numbers closely, I am more convinced than ever that none of us know what the hell is going on. We'll just have to sit tight until early-to-mid next week when the mail starts coming in, I think...

** feel free to add your numbers to this list so we can get a broader survey grouping.

I'm the xxx/3.7, and it's a 151....maybe DallasJosh is embarrased for me?!?! It's ok....I'm fine with it. I never "expected" to get in, but they sent me an unsolicited fee waiver....so why not?

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:50 pm

I originally applied only to the part-time program and it used to say "JD Evening" but then I emailed them and asked them to consider me for Both Full-Time and Part-Time with a preference to Part-Time and now it just says "JD". I hope they didn't think that I meant the Part-Time Day (Reduced Load) program, i'm gonna call them tomorrow and ask because now i'm nervous...

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:56 pm

nmazsd wrote:

167/3.7
166/3.2
155/3.6
xxx/3.7

Decision Reached
155/3.59

172/3.1 - non trad
170/2.8 - non trad
165/3.95
161/3.6
158/3.6
xxx/3.8

I'm the xxx/3.7, and it's a 151....maybe DallasJosh is embarrased for me?!?! It's ok....I'm fine with it. I never "expected" to get in, but they sent me an unsolicited fee waiver....so why not?

Why don't you expect to get in, you have a 50/50 shot in my opinion for PT? Your numbers are a high GPA/low LSAT split for SMU's part-time program, and I recall reading at LSD that there was people with LSAT's in and around 151 that were in that program.

DallasJosh

Postby DallasJosh » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:45 pm

nmazsd wrote:I'm the xxx/3.7, and it's a 151....maybe DallasJosh is embarrased for me?!?! It's ok....I'm fine with it. I never "expected" to get in, but they sent me an unsolicited fee waiver....so why not?

I'm not embarassed for you at all, those numbers are nothing to be upset about. I just got your GPA from your profile and your LSAT score wasn't listed. No disrespect or ill will intended on my part...

kp1981

Postby kp1981 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:28 pm

Who else got unsolicited fee waivers? What did I do wrong? :(

DallasJosh

Postby DallasJosh » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:21 pm

This may seem really weird, but I think your numbers are too high to have received a fee waiver from SMU. I guess the logic is, why would they send out fee waivers to (and admit) people who they feel have a very strong chance of going elsewhere. In your case, that would be Irvine or UVA (congrats). Make sense if you think about it in terms of it ultimately hurting their numbers...

smiley26

Postby smiley26 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:30 pm

kp1981 wrote:Who else got unsolicited fee waivers? What did I do wrong? :(

I didn't get one either. No love for us townies!

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:42 pm

Can anyone shed some insight onto the status checker with the "JD" and "JD Evening" thing?

screech

Postby screech » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:45 pm

OasisFan wrote:Can anyone shed some insight onto the status checker with the "JD" and "JD Evening" thing?

"JD Evening" wasn't there before my update on 1/28/09 that still showed "Application Complete"

I wonder if it means I didn't make full time (applied to both) and now I'm being considered for part time. I wouldn't go as far to say I think I'm in JD evening. But my email says I'll find out by the 31st. 2 days isn't bad.

nmazsd

Postby nmazsd » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:51 pm

I guess with my LSAT score, I wasn't expecting anything. I was just giving you a hard time Dallas......of course I would love to get admitted, but it isn't my top choice. If they would not have sent me a fee waiver, I probably would not have applied.

On a separate note, good luck to everyone who is awaiting their decisions......I'm sure the status checker mystery will become clear soon.

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:54 pm

screech wrote:
OasisFan wrote:Can anyone shed some insight onto the status checker with the "JD" and "JD Evening" thing?

"JD Evening" wasn't there before my update on 1/28/09 that still showed "Application Complete"

I wonder if it means I didn't make full time (applied to both) and now I'm being considered for part time. I wouldn't go as far to say I think I'm in JD evening. But my email says I'll find out by the 31st. 2 days isn't bad.

Term: Fall Year: 2009
Program Time: Full Time and Part Time Degree: JD
Current Status: Held for Further Review
Current Status Date: 1/29/2009

mine looks like this...so I guess it means that I went through both adcomms and they just decided to defer me?

jadedV

Postby jadedV » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:30 am

smiley26 wrote:
kp1981 wrote:Who else got unsolicited fee waivers? What did I do wrong? :(

I didn't get one either. No love for us townies!

Ask, and you may receive (atleast thats what I did)!

jmoc2009

Postby jmoc2009 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:57 am

bcb1986 wrote:They may not have gotten through all the ED apps in time for the Jan 31 deadline. Many of the "holds" may simply be files they haven't gotten around to reading yet. As for all these other status changes... who knows, but I expect they will be getting up/down decisions.

Does anyone know how smu notifies? I assume via snail mail (based on their not so stellar use of technology).

just read the email again:

"Thank you for your recent application to SMU Dedman School of Law. Since you have applied for the early decision deadline of December 1, 2008, provided your file is complete by December 15, 2008, a decision letter will be mailed no later than January 31, 2008. Early decisions are not binding. SMU policy does not allow decisions to be given out over the telephone or e-mail."

cheers to next week!

DallasJosh

Postby DallasJosh » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:01 am

jmoc2009 wrote:SMU policy does not allow decisions to be given out over the telephone or e-mail."

I wonder how the poeple in Dec got phone calls from the adcomms, then? And there were lots of people last year that got phone calls. Hmmm...

bcb1986

Postby bcb1986 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:39 am

DallasJosh wrote:
jmoc2009 wrote:SMU policy does not allow decisions to be given out over the telephone or e-mail."

I wonder how the poeple in Dec got phone calls from the adcomms, then? And there were lots of people last year that got phone calls. Hmmm...

There's a good chance they'll be calling (based on last year's SMU thread from January and at LSN for 2007-2008). Last year they called Dec 19th, Jan 25th and Jan 31st. This year, it appears that they only made the first round December calls on 12/19 as well. That leaves two days worth of calls to make for EA candidates, based on last year's timeline. If they're updating the status checkers now, then they must be getting paperwork together. The notification deadline is the 31st (Saturday), and their office is closed on Saturdays. That leaves two days to make phone calls. So... will they start tomorrow, or will they wait until Friday and do last year's 2 days of calling in 1?

Now the real pull-it-out-of-your-_-speculation:

There appears to be a chance that full time accepted students status may have been updated Tuesday, and part time accepted students status checkers may have been updated Wednesday. If so, it seems reasonable to assume that full-time calls would go out thursday, followed by part-time calls on friday. The "hold" status changes were dated 1/29 (though they went up on the 26th or 27th). So, perhaps that snail mail is going out tomorrow, the 29th.

You all may think this is crazy; it seems logical to me, though. Either way, we'll know in the next few days.

It's probably best that I have 5.5 hours of class tomorrow. It will calm the constant staring at the phone.

joonix

Postby joonix » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:50 am

bcb1986 wrote:
DallasJosh wrote:

There's a good chance they'll be calling (based on last year's SMU thread from January and at LSN for 2007-2008). Last year they called Dec 19th, Jan 25th and Jan 31st. This year, it appears that they only made the first round December calls on 12/19 as well. That leaves two days worth of calls to make for EA candidates, based on last year's timeline. If they're updating the status checkers now, then they must be getting paperwork together. The notification deadline is the 31st (Saturday), and their office is closed on Saturdays. That leaves two days to make phone calls. So... will they start tomorrow, or will they wait until Friday and do last year's 2 days of calling in 1?

Now the real pull-it-out-of-your-_-speculation:

There appears to be a chance that full time accepted students status may have been updated Tuesday, and part time accepted students status checkers may have been updated Wednesday. If so, it seems reasonable to assume that full-time calls would go out thursday, followed by part-time calls on friday. The "hold" status changes were dated 1/29 (though they went up on the 26th or 27th). So, perhaps that snail mail is going out tomorrow, the 29th.

You all may think this is crazy; it seems logical to me, though. Either way, we'll know in the next few days.

It's probably best that I have 5.5 hours of class tomorrow. It will calm the constant staring at the phone.

"Thank you for your recent application to SMU Dedman School of Law. Since you have applied for the early decision deadline of December 1, 2008, provided your file is complete by December 15, 2008, a decision letter will be mailed no later than January 31, 2008. Early decisions are not binding. SMU policy does not allow decisions to be given out over the telephone or e-mail. "

They never claimed we would know by the 31st. They just said they would mail out decisions by then. And from the looks of it, they are behind on their apps. Mine still says Application Completed without a date change. Don't expect to hear until next week.

jtw1386

Postby jtw1386 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:16 am

The theory sounds pretty good. I guess the next question is, of the people whose status changed to complete on Tuesday, did anyones degree type change from JD to Evening JD?

jadedV

Postby jadedV » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:23 am

jtw1386 wrote:The theory sounds pretty good. I guess the next question is, of the people whose status changed to complete on Tuesday, did anyones degree type change from JD to Evening JD?

Mine didn't. I'm still Full Time JD.

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:03 am

crap!! I should have applied only to the PT program...apparently if you apply to both programs, they its like a conveyor belt and that the full-time Adcomms evaluate first, then they send you to part-time.

I wish i'd known that before

G_Girl4098

Postby G_Girl4098 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:27 am

I am also a "decision rendered" person. It was changed on Tuesday (1/27) but had 1/29 as the status date.
Also, my status was first set to "application complete" on 10/24 and the date was later changed to 12/28.
I'm not sure what all the date changing means, if it means anything at all. You guys may be reading WAY too far into all of this.

G_Girl4098

Postby G_Girl4098 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:28 am

OasisFan wrote:crap!! I should have applied only to the PT program...apparently if you apply to both programs, they its like a conveyor belt and that the full-time Adcomms evaluate first, then they send you to part-time.

I wish i'd known that before

Ditto

kimberbug

Postby kimberbug » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:56 am

I applied to both programs and my status used to say "JD," yesterday it changed to "JD Evening."

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:08 pm

I just changed my application to only be considered strictly for PT, so we'll see what happens, I don't expect them to look at my application this wave, but we'll see about the regular application pool. Good luck all!

G_Girl4098

Postby G_Girl4098 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:21 pm

OasisFan wrote:I just changed my application to only be considered strictly for PT, so we'll see what happens, I don't expect them to look at my application this wave, but we'll see about the regular application pool. Good luck all!

it's probably too late for me, but how did you do that?
Last edited by G_Girl4098 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”