Anybody heard back from SMU? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LSmit1723

New

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Post by LSmit1723 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:30 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:Today, on the 7-month anniversary of my application submission, SMU finally gave me an 'answer'...waitlisted...
eamonbriggs08 wrote:
Wow, I thought three months was agonizing. Do you think you'll ride it out or commit elsewhere?

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:33 pm

I did not respond very 'traditionally' to my waitlisted status (below is real):

To: lawadmit@smu.edu
Date: 5/20/2009
Subject: :-(

Today, 7 months after submitting my Early Decision application, I was waitlisted by your admissions office. As much as I would like to attend SMU Law, I am not in a position to wait any longer for a final decision.

Sooooo, unless I can convince you to change your mind in the next few hours, I must ask that my name be removed from the waitlist. No hard feelings.

Thank you.

Eamon Briggs

bill51

New

Post by bill51 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:34 pm

smubound wrote:The waitlist letter was your typical letter. "Due to the high number of applications blah blah blah. If you don't want to stay on the waitlist, please email us.
Anything about LOCI's or the like? Yet another day with no letter in the mail for me. Been "Waitlisted" since 5/11.

EDIT: Finally received the waitlist letter (5/21).

ougrad

New

Post by ougrad » Thu May 21, 2009 3:23 pm

Does anyone have a guess as to what your chances may be to get off of the waitlist?! Is it worth riding out, and what do you have to do to get them to accept you! :x

amatheus

New

Post by amatheus » Thu May 21, 2009 8:17 pm

So, I talked with someone who has an in with the Admission office, and evidently, they took a relatively small amount of people on the waitlist, but are expecting to pull almost NO ONE off of it...

Take from it what you will, I am not going to say names as I do not want to get my Dad's buddy in trouble, but that is what they said....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSmit1723

New

Post by LSmit1723 » Thu May 21, 2009 8:53 pm

Well that's discouraging...

lonegun3

New

Post by lonegun3 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:54 pm

Well there are 36 wait listed applicants at LSN out of 233 total applicants reporting.

Let's say there are roughly 3000 applicants total (ABA lists 2665 total last year). I'd imagine there are a lot more than 36 wait listed people.

It's fair to say the chances of getting off this wait list stink. Plus, they stated the wait list is not ranked. I also like how the letter said they hope to get open seats before the first day of classes on August 21 (which if that process is as slow as the everything else so far...).

I can't really complain myself, but it's ridiculous to read that some of the people on here applied six or seven months ago and just now got a wait list letter this week.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:59 pm

Just realized that I failed to cancel my rsvp request for the PT Welcome Reception Dinner tonight ... oh well!

The Philosoraptor

New

Post by The Philosoraptor » Fri May 22, 2009 11:21 am

I have a couple of questions for those accepted at SMU.

First, do you get scholarship information by logging on to the smu website? And if so, how long does it take to have it posted? Filling out the FAFSA is required for need-based aid right, not merit?

Also, is the June 1st seat deposit binding? I assume not, but I just want to make sure.

FYI for those on the waitlist etc.. I got the call on Monday of last week. Hispanic, 158, 3.8, weak softs. I was surprised to get the call, especially for the FT program. Maybe the hispanic bump got me in or they liked my personal statement/why SMU/Dallas essay. Pending scholarship $ or lack thereof, I may be declining my acceptance within a month or so. So there might be a chance for someone to get that spot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Fri May 22, 2009 11:30 am

I got my scholarship info three weeks after my acceptance. I was accepted at the end of Jan. I would hope that they are moving faster with the scholarship money now, but I don't know. I put down the first deposit (April 1) and then withdrew about 2 weeks later. That first deposit wasn't binding. I don't know about the June 1 deposit. I got the idea that the second deposit was binding, but mostly just because it was expensive. I only lost $100 buying myself some time to get fin aid info from UT.

The FAFSA is for need based aid. I got the scholarship info before my FAFSA went in.

EDIT: Scholarship info came via snail mail.

thiscyclesucks

New

Post by thiscyclesucks » Fri May 22, 2009 11:44 am

Barring the obvious...what does a "binding" deposit do?

How can a school lock you in based on a deposit?

The Philosoraptor

New

Post by The Philosoraptor » Fri May 22, 2009 12:15 pm

Thanks for the response penni_rose

JD2008

New

Post by JD2008 » Fri May 22, 2009 1:01 pm

thiscyclesucks wrote:Barring the obvious...what does a "binding" deposit do?

How can a school lock you in based on a deposit?
Nothing really - it just means your deposit is non-refundable if you go to another law school. The only time you are precluded from going to another law school is if you initially select "binding early admission" during application.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

art vandelay

Bronze

Post by art vandelay » Sat May 23, 2009 1:46 am

Somehow after scholarship considerations it is still cheaper for me to go to UT than SMU. Sort of unbelievable, given the fact that UT is a premier school. I was really looking to get back to Dallas for good, but apparently SMU didn't want me badly enough. Oh well. See you in 3 years, Dallas.

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Sat May 23, 2009 7:00 pm

art vandelay wrote:Somehow after scholarship considerations it is still cheaper for me to go to UT than SMU. Sort of unbelievable, given the fact that UT is a premier school. I was really looking to get back to Dallas for good, but apparently SMU didn't want me badly enough. Oh well. See you in 3 years, Dallas.
Wow. Good for you. UT is more expensive for me. I just want to work in Austin, so I found it hard to care.

thiscyclesucks

New

Post by thiscyclesucks » Tue May 26, 2009 3:49 pm

Not like anyone has the answer...but, does anyone think there will be much activity on the SMU waitlist?

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Tue May 26, 2009 4:01 pm

thiscyclesucks wrote:Not like anyone has the answer...but, does anyone think there will be much activity on the SMU waitlist?
I highly doubt it. Most deposited at SMU a while back, and SMU doesn't seem like a school many attending would ditch (except for maybe UT), simply because of its location and the students that tend to gravitate to it. Movement on the list should correlate to the June 1st final deposit, and then be silent until the first week of classes. I wouldn't expect anything to really happen at all.

I've all but withdrawn, I have no real hope of myself getting in, but I'll stay on the waitlist (both there and at W&L/W&M) A) Because you never know, B) all 3 schools took nearly 8 months to get back to me, so waiting a bit longer doesn't hurt me any more, and C) if by some random chance I am admitted I'll have another option to attend, or exact sweet revenge by rejecting their feeble pick up line! :-P

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thiscyclesucks

New

Post by thiscyclesucks » Tue May 26, 2009 4:22 pm

BigAristotle wrote:
thiscyclesucks wrote:Not like anyone has the answer...but, does anyone think there will be much activity on the SMU waitlist?
I highly doubt it. Most deposited at SMU a while back, and SMU doesn't seem like a school many attending would ditch (except for maybe UT), simply because of its location and the students that tend to gravitate to it. Movement on the list should correlate to the June 1st final deposit, and then be silent until the first week of classes. I wouldn't expect anything to really happen at all.

I've all but withdrawn, I have no real hope of myself getting in, but I'll stay on the waitlist (both there and at W&L/W&M) A) Because you never know, B) all 3 schools took nearly 8 months to get back to me, so waiting a bit longer doesn't hurt me any more, and C) if by some random chance I am admitted I'll have another option to attend, or exact sweet revenge by rejecting their feeble pick up line! :-P

Right, but we are only assuming they received a lot of deposits because of online hearsay. But, if they did submit a deposit way back when, maybe they are holding SMU in their back pocket until something better (not just UT) comes along.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Wed May 27, 2009 1:08 pm

So, just got a missed call from a 214 (Dallas) number. Got super excited, decided to google it before I called back. Just one of those "Your factory warranty is about to expire".

Mother fuckers.

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Wed May 27, 2009 1:24 pm

BigAristotle wrote:So, just got a missed call from a 214 (Dallas) number. Got super excited, decided to google it before I called back. Just one of those "Your factory warranty is about to expire".

Mother fuckers.
Keep the faith. Your numbers are great, and I'm pretty sure they'll need more high-LSAT students to boost the medians (especially for PT). I also had a C&F issue, but it turned out ok for me. Good luck!

rjl

New

Post by rjl » Wed May 27, 2009 2:08 pm

BigAristotle wrote:So, just got a missed call from a 214 (Dallas) number. Got super excited, decided to google it before I called back. Just one of those "Your factory warranty is about to expire".

Mother fuckers.
Wow, I really can't believe you got waitlisted in the first place.

My numbers are quite a bit less than yours.

My undergrad GPA is horrendous (between 2.5 and 2.75), but that was quite a while ago, with lots of work experience between now and then. My LSAT is a few points below yours as well. (In self defense, I only studied for a few weeks as I initially planned on just applying to the two in-state schools where I live).

Yet we are both on the same waitlist (I didn't apply to PT), which, if the SMU email is to be taken at its word, is unranked.

Maybe my PS, LORs, or resume helped me more than I initially thought? Either way, this is strange, strange behavior from what would appear to be the law school acceptance norm.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Wed May 27, 2009 2:31 pm

I only applied FT, and as noted several times. I had a strange Criminal Addendum which marred my cycle.

Mustangcoug

New

Post by Mustangcoug » Wed May 27, 2009 3:51 pm

Mother fuckers.
214-768-

Thats SMU

great8

New

Post by great8 » Sat May 30, 2009 1:30 am

Just withdrew (got in Wed. off a waitlist) - so now I'm hoping the spot goes to a fellow TLS'er! Good luck all!

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:08 pm

Anyone expecting any waitlist movement post June 1st Seat Depost date?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”