Anybody heard back from SMU?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
smiley26
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:21 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby smiley26 » Thu May 14, 2009 2:31 pm

Adele wrote:Still NOTHING!! Really SMU??? All i have is app completed 4/30


you are probably in...
and I am jealous.

User avatar
eamonbriggs08
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Thu May 14, 2009 3:46 pm

Ugh, guess there are just a few of us left without any sort of decision, but it still sucks....I can only take this a few more days...

OasisFan
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby OasisFan » Thu May 14, 2009 6:15 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:Ugh, guess there are just a few of us left without any sort of decision, but it still sucks....I can only take this a few more days...


I hope that all of ya'll get some good news very soon.

User avatar
sapereaude2012
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby sapereaude2012 » Thu May 14, 2009 6:51 pm

BigA and TC - guys I am shocked, and sorry. I started to figure I might be a waitlist over the last week, but I definitely thought you two would be in.

TC I loved your response, I will be sending a similar letter on Monday. Man oh man. Best of luck to you guys, and to all of you riding out the waitlist!

tcwhat
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:33 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby tcwhat » Thu May 14, 2009 8:25 pm

sapereaude2012 wrote:BigA and TC - guys I am shocked, and sorry. I started to figure I might be a waitlist over the last week, but I definitely thought you two would be in.

TC I loved your response, I will be sending a similar letter on Monday. Man oh man. Best of luck to you guys, and to all of you riding out the waitlist!



I tried to make it as respectful as possible while expressing my unhappiness.

We just got shafted; it's hard to contain it.

pammons
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:10 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby pammons » Fri May 15, 2009 10:53 am

I too was waitlisted yesterday and will be withdrawing soon. Good luck to all of those who are still vying for those last spots.

User avatar
BigAristotle
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby BigAristotle » Fri May 15, 2009 11:01 am

tcwhat wrote:
sapereaude2012 wrote:BigA and TC - guys I am shocked, and sorry. I started to figure I might be a waitlist over the last week, but I definitely thought you two would be in.

TC I loved your response, I will be sending a similar letter on Monday. Man oh man. Best of luck to you guys, and to all of you riding out the waitlist!



I tried to make it as respectful as possible while expressing my unhappiness.

We just got shafted; it's hard to contain it.


I agree pretty much as a whole. Knowing 3 other applicants very well, all who were accepted with substantial scholarships, none of them would argue saying I was the best applicant (among the 4 of us) by GPA/LSAT numbers alone, not even including my more thorough resume and EC activities which far outpace theirs. Its almost a tad shameful when I tell them what happened.

The fact that I'm waitlisted is infinitely frustrating. A. What could I possibly do to have SMU let me in? My numbers have to exceed almost everyone else's. B. I've already written 2 LOCI's, one specifically talking about my criminal addendum, as well as a campus visit/interview. Seems like a random waitlist for someone like me.

Then, even if I get in, I'm looking at SMU@sticker? That's 150k+, no thanks. Not like UofH is overtly generous or anything, but I'm only looking at 8k+COL, opposed to 36k+COL. God, if Dallas wasn't where I'd wanted to be, I'd have written a much less polite email than tcwhatdid.

However, Conga Rats to everyone that got in!
Last edited by BigAristotle on Fri May 15, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
eamonbriggs08
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:25 pm

There is no way I will get better than BigA, Smiley, or Pammons...so why are they taking so long for me?!

kxg
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby kxg » Fri May 15, 2009 2:59 pm

Me too! In fact, my numbers kind of suck in comparison. Just hurry up already!

LSmit1723
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 7:11 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby LSmit1723 » Fri May 15, 2009 3:20 pm

Nothing in the mail from SMU today. Has anyone who was wait-listed on 5/11 received anything yet??

raoul79
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:10 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby raoul79 » Fri May 15, 2009 3:58 pm

LSmit1723 wrote:
Post subject: Re: Anybody heard back from SMU? Reply with quote
Nothing in the mail from SMU today. Has anyone who was wait-listed on 5/11 received anything yet??


Nothing yet... I don't want to send LOCI until I receive letter from them... Anyone else?

OasisFan
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby OasisFan » Fri May 15, 2009 4:58 pm

Hey all, I got the admission packet in the mail today. if anyone has any Q's i'd be happy to answer them for you, but honestly its just pretty plain jane stuff.

I'm rooting for all of yall! Best of luck!

Lizzy081881
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:07 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Lizzy081881 » Sun May 17, 2009 1:19 pm

Well, I've been out of town for 2 weeks and I'm sad to see that SMU is still stringing people along and are as disorganized as ever.... I just wanted to interject a little rant about my letters *yes letterS* that I hadn't seen until yesterday. It wasn't enough to send me one letter saying that I was rejected, BUT they sent me a SECOND letter... I guess to clarify... that I was in fact rejected from both the FT and PT. Both were dated on the same day and my husband said he got them on the same day. hhhmmmmmm thanks SMU for really making me feel rejected on a whole new level!

User avatar
Hook 'Em
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Hook 'Em » Sun May 17, 2009 1:34 pm

Lizzy081881 wrote:Well, I've been out of town for 2 weeks and I'm sad to see that SMU is still stringing people along and are as disorganized as ever.... I just wanted to interject a little rant about my letters *yes letterS* that I hadn't seen until yesterday. It wasn't enough to send me one letter saying that I was rejected, BUT they sent me a SECOND letter... I guess to clarify... that I was in fact rejected from both the FT and PT. Both were dated on the same day and my husband said he got them on the same day. hhhmmmmmm thanks SMU for really making me feel rejected on a whole new level!


Sorry to hear that. It does seem like overkill to send two letters.

bill51
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby bill51 » Tue May 19, 2009 1:42 pm

Anything in the mail yet for any of you waitlisters?

I've got nothing here ...

LSmit1723
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 7:11 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby LSmit1723 » Tue May 19, 2009 3:05 pm

Me either!

No change on the mailings either though. I wonder if the SMU admissions rep was misinformed when he told me the waitlist letters had already been sent for the 5/11'ers.

Please post if you receive any information, thanks!

smubound
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:43 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby smubound » Tue May 19, 2009 3:09 pm

I received a letter yesterday that was dated May 11.

User avatar
eamonbriggs08
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Tue May 19, 2009 3:55 pm

anyone else out there, anyone at all, who still hasn't heard anything?

User avatar
BigAristotle
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby BigAristotle » Tue May 19, 2009 4:08 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:anyone else out there, anyone at all, who still hasn't heard anything?


You STILL haven't heard anything back yet? WTF SMU!

User avatar
eamonbriggs08
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Tue May 19, 2009 4:15 pm

BigAristotle wrote:
eamonbriggs08 wrote:anyone else out there, anyone at all, who still hasn't heard anything?


You STILL haven't heard anything back yet? WTF SMU!


um, YEAH!. Still 'in review' from 1/29. I just went to my LSAC page...My application was submitted 10/20/2008. So that means tomorrow will mark 7 months since I sent in my application.

bill51
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby bill51 » Tue May 19, 2009 4:44 pm

smubound wrote:I received a letter yesterday that was dated May 11.


Waitlist letter? Could you fill us in on what it says?

I can't say I'm surprised at the PROMPT correspondence. Good to know I'm not the only one without any communication.

Mustangcoug
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Mustangcoug » Tue May 19, 2009 5:08 pm

still nothing here...went from 'decision defered' to 'application complete' on 4/30. was supposed to hear back on 5/11...still waiting.

kxg
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby kxg » Wed May 20, 2009 12:55 am

Waitlisted... the date on the status checker says 5/11, but it didn't show up until today, 5/19. Bummed, but it's so late that I wasn't entirely shocked.

smubound
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:43 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby smubound » Wed May 20, 2009 11:04 am

The waitlist letter was your typical letter. "Due to the high number of applications blah blah blah. If you don't want to stay on the waitlist, please email us.

User avatar
eamonbriggs08
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:50 pm

Today, on the 7-month anniversary of my application submission, SMU finally gave me an 'answer'...waitlisted...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], KeYe88, notsolawful, Solidfood and 8 guests