Anybody heard back from SMU?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thiscyclesucks
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby thiscyclesucks » Wed May 13, 2009 3:20 pm

OasisFan wrote:
eamonbriggs08 wrote:Not that it means much at this point, but I just called the admissions office and they said they are desperately trying to get all letters in the mail by Friday afternoon.


I just called and got the same thing...anyone else's statuses change today?


No change...I hope it's an acceptance, but I'll settle with a waitlist at this point...I'm going to be really ticked if I get rejected after waiting this long though.

OasisFan
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby OasisFan » Wed May 13, 2009 3:26 pm

thiscyclesucks wrote:
OasisFan wrote:
eamonbriggs08 wrote:Not that it means much at this point, but I just called the admissions office and they said they are desperately trying to get all letters in the mail by Friday afternoon.


I just called and got the same thing...anyone else's statuses change today?


No change...I hope it's an acceptance, but I'll settle with a waitlist at this point...I'm going to be really ticked if I get rejected after waiting this long though.


I am starting to get a little bit scared because what if it's a rejection! eek :shock: :shock: :shock: :| :|

pharaohatem
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:25 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby pharaohatem » Wed May 13, 2009 5:02 pm

Hey guys!

Long time listener, first time caller. I tried to avoid posting in this thread because I didn't want to get my hopes up, or lose some sorta'. . .essential law school spiritual energy that obviously the adcomms are monitoring when they make their decisions.

But! All joking aside, I was one of the people who recieved a decision rendered notice today, which also changed my degree listing from JD to JD evening. I was pretty much losing my mind about it, because you really don't know if it's an acceptance or a rejection;

but for me, it actually was an acceptance. I got the call just about 3 oclock, which is a little later than usual for them, so they might be pretty busy. But I just wanna' extend some hard data to show that the decision rendered to JD Evening people are probably in fact acceptances.

Good luck ~ .

User avatar
Hook 'Em
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Hook 'Em » Wed May 13, 2009 5:03 pm

pharaohatem wrote:Hey guys!

Long time listener, first time caller. I tried to avoid posting in this thread because I didn't want to get my hopes up, or lose some sorta'. . .essential law school spiritual energy that obviously the adcomms are monitoring when they make their decisions.

But! All joking aside, I was one of the people who recieved a decision rendered notice today, which also changed my degree listing from JD to JD evening. I was pretty much losing my mind about it, because you really don't know if it's an acceptance or a rejection;

but for me, it actually was an acceptance. I got the call just about 3 oclock, which is a little later than usual for them, so they might be pretty busy. But I just wanna' extend some hard data to show that the decision rendered to JD Evening people are probably in fact acceptances.

Good luck ~ .


Congrats!!!

Soonergrad
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:40 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Soonergrad » Wed May 13, 2009 5:09 pm

pharaohatem wrote:Hey guys!

Long time listener, first time caller. I tried to avoid posting in this thread because I didn't want to get my hopes up, or lose some sorta'. . .essential law school spiritual energy that obviously the adcomms are monitoring when they make their decisions.

But! All joking aside, I was one of the people who recieved a decision rendered notice today, which also changed my degree listing from JD to JD evening. I was pretty much losing my mind about it, because you really don't know if it's an acceptance or a rejection;

but for me, it actually was an acceptance. I got the call just about 3 oclock, which is a little later than usual for them, so they might be pretty busy. But I just wanna' extend some hard data to show that the decision rendered to JD Evening people are probably in fact acceptances.

Good luck ~ .


Congrats! Glad to hear the acceptances are finally rolling out...

OasisFan
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby OasisFan » Wed May 13, 2009 6:17 pm

GOT THE PHONE CALL (Voicemail actually at 3:30!) I am very excited! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :P :P :P :P :P

smiley26
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:21 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby smiley26 » Wed May 13, 2009 6:29 pm

OasisFan wrote:GOT THE PHONE CALL (Voicemail actually at 3:30!) I am very excited! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :P :P :P :P :P


Congrats OasisFan...I know how much you have wanted this!!

As for the lack of change in FT statuses, I am taking it as a good sign that none of us are rejected...just for sure waitlisted or accepted. Although a waitlist will make my decision pretty hard at this point.

nontradintexas
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:01 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby nontradintexas » Wed May 13, 2009 7:12 pm

OasisFan wrote:GOT THE PHONE CALL (Voicemail actually at 3:30!) I am very excited! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :P :P :P :P :P



Congrats!! I know how badly you wanted that call! :D

Attorney2012
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:30 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Attorney2012 » Wed May 13, 2009 7:15 pm

Ditto - congrats!!!!

PT or FT?

smiley26 wrote:
OasisFan wrote:GOT THE PHONE CALL (Voicemail actually at 3:30!) I am very excited! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :P :P :P :P :P


Congrats OasisFan...I know how much you have wanted this!!

As for the lack of change in FT statuses, I am taking it as a good sign that none of us are rejected...just for sure waitlisted or accepted. Although a waitlist will make my decision pretty hard at this point.

User avatar
BigAristotle
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby BigAristotle » Wed May 13, 2009 7:25 pm

OasisFan wrote:GOT THE PHONE CALL (Voicemail actually at 3:30!) I am very excited! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :P :P :P :P :P


Dude, gratz! You're there 100%, right?

mynameisizy
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:21 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby mynameisizy » Wed May 13, 2009 7:30 pm

just got waitlisted. status changed within the hour.

User avatar
sapereaude2012
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby sapereaude2012 » Wed May 13, 2009 7:32 pm

Just got waitlisted via status checker, I'll withdraw by Friday. GW here I come! Best of luck to you all still waiting!

User avatar
BigAristotle
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby BigAristotle » Wed May 13, 2009 7:36 pm

sapereaude2012 wrote:Just got waitlisted via status checker, I'll withdraw by Friday. GW here I come! Best of luck to you all still waiting!


Sorry about the WL guys, best of luck at GW tho! Still Held here :(

smiley26
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:21 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby smiley26 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:04 pm

waitlisted.

Horns4LYFE
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Horns4LYFE » Wed May 13, 2009 9:26 pm

hey all--

I got my SMU Admitted Student packet today. Pretty impressive stuff, considering they spent $5 on priority postage for me...gotta love that.

I was accepted to the full-time program, and my seat deposit (like everyone else) is due on June 1st.

No word on scholarships in the packet, although I would be surprised if they had any money left.

What was in the admitted student packet:

--A navy blue folder in feaux gold-leafed columns that reads "SMU Dedman School of Law" on the front

Inside the folder:

-A large poster that folds out and reads "Go Mustangs!"
-Admitted students letter, dated on May 11th, signed by Dean Attanasio, personalized by the line in the opening paragraph "...In reviewing your outstanding qualifications, the Admissions Committee found particular interest in your outstanding academic achievements at the University of Texas" (although this could be an automatic fill-in-the-blank with the applicant's school)
-Some packet that talks about how good SMU law grads are in the business realm and the DFW law realm
-very useful apartment listing guide with apt. complexes that are often frequently inhabited by SMU law students
-an 'Essential information for Admitted full-time JD students' packet that talks about tuition fees, needing final transcripts, seat deposit form, and information about orientation
-some brochure called 'Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports' -- wtf is this?
-2008 - 2009 Dedman School of Law Catalog

Also, in addition to no scholarship info, there is also no information on the admitted students dinner. Can someone who was admitted and is attending that dinner clarify how they were notified about the admitted students dinner next week?

Thanks and good luck to you all...here's to hoping you will all be there with me next week

User avatar
Hook 'Em
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Hook 'Em » Wed May 13, 2009 9:31 pm

OasisFan wrote:GOT THE PHONE CALL (Voicemail actually at 3:30!) I am very excited! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :P :P :P :P :P



Congrats, it seemed like you wanted SMU more than anyone here. Are you going to the dinner next Friday? I'll be driving in from Austin.

thiscyclesucks
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby thiscyclesucks » Wed May 13, 2009 9:54 pm

Well, I'm still "Application Complete"...

Besides, BigA, who else?...And why do you think it's going so slowly for us?

tcwhat
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:33 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby tcwhat » Wed May 13, 2009 9:57 pm

thiscyclesucks wrote:Well, I'm still "Application Complete"...

Besides, BigA, who else?...And why do you think it's going so slowly for us?


Count me in - well I'm not Application Completed but I am still "Held for Further Review"

User avatar
Adele
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Adele » Wed May 13, 2009 10:01 pm

^ ditto. I think if i don't hear anything by Friday Im going to withdraw, this is just ridic!
Also dedman lifetime sports is SMU's gym, its a reaaaalllly nice gym but its way crowded with undergrads(read sorority girls and frat guys) fyi

sprint047
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:17 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby sprint047 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:02 pm

Hook 'Em-

My information says the PT dinner is Thursday evening, not Friday...

User avatar
Hook 'Em
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Hook 'Em » Wed May 13, 2009 10:03 pm

Adele wrote:^ ditto. I think if i don't hear anything by Friday Im going to withdraw, this is just ridic!
Also dedman lifetime sports is SMU's gym, its a reaaaalllly nice gym but its way crowded with undergrads(read sorority girls and frat guys) fyi



You say that like it's a bad thing 8) . Dallas sorority girls FTW!

argentinabrends
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:09 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby argentinabrends » Wed May 13, 2009 10:03 pm

tcwhat wrote:
thiscyclesucks wrote:Well, I'm still "Application Complete"...

Besides, BigA, who else?...And why do you think it's going so slowly for us?


Count me in - well I'm not Application Completed but I am still "Held for Further Review"


I have been "application completed" since 1/9/09. I was never even "under review"....I wonder if they've even LOOKED at my file or just have it in some random pile they'll "get to later"
I have to say, as a soon-to-be graduate from SMU UG, I am really disappointed in the law school this cycle.

And yes, dedman is crowded with UG but that 1)depends on what time you go--if you go during peak hours from 5-7 then yeah...or in the morning, i'm usually there around 8:30 and it's pretty free. 2)i've seen many law school students there...

User avatar
penni_rose
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby penni_rose » Wed May 13, 2009 10:12 pm

Horns4Lyfe-

I don't know if there's going to be money left or if more will open after the June 1st deadline, but I just thought I'd share my experience. I got a scholarship letter about 3 weeks after the admissions packet. They did not come at the same time.

I'm not going, so that's at least one large scholarship that I hope they will give to someone else.

Good luck to all of you that haven't heard!

tcwhat
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:33 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby tcwhat » Wed May 13, 2009 10:15 pm

Hook 'Em wrote:
Adele wrote:^ ditto. I think if i don't hear anything by Friday Im going to withdraw, this is just ridic!
Also dedman lifetime sports is SMU's gym, its a reaaaalllly nice gym but its way crowded with undergrads(read sorority girls and frat guys) fyi



You say that like it's a bad thing 8) . Dallas sorority girls FTW!


SMU sorority girls are generally a pain in the ass.

Horns4LYFE
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Horns4LYFE » Wed May 13, 2009 11:32 pm

Argentina--

I was 'application complete' from February until May 11th when my status changed to 'decision rendered'. I never once saw 'held for further review' or 'under review' or anything. You still have a good shot as far as I'm concerned




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, Google Adsense [Bot], lawschoolapp1987, Yahoo [Bot], zeglo and 17 guests