Anybody heard back from SMU?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
OasisFan

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby OasisFan » Mon May 11, 2009 8:50 pm

I'm buggin out right now...I might just drive up to SMU tomorrow and ask them whats up. My status check says "Application Completed" from 5/4/09

I don't even know if that means my file has even been "reviewed" or anything. So ridiculous :| I am not humored SMU, get on the ball!

Giletal

Postby Giletal » Mon May 11, 2009 9:03 pm

OasisFan wrote:I'm buggin out right now...I might just drive up to SMU tomorrow and ask them whats up. My status check says "Application Completed" from 5/4/09

I don't even know if that means my file has even been "reviewed" or anything. So ridiculous :| I am not humored SMU, get on the ball!

I don't know about anyone else's status history, but mine read "Application Completed" since February. It never changed until today when it changed from "Application Completed" to "Waitlisted", with no other status in between such as "In Review" or the like. So maybe they are still reviewing it and just aren't telling you, because it seems that's what they did to me.

Attorney2012

Postby Attorney2012 » Mon May 11, 2009 9:08 pm

Yeah, this "waitlist status" is probably an attempt to buy more time. Think about it, it seems like everyone is calling asking for an explanation or status update. So they probably gave a ton of waitlists (another extension) to pacify inquiring minds and buy more time. I'm definitely in the mind set that they're still reviewing....stay hopeful everyone!

Giletal wrote:
OasisFan wrote:I'm buggin out right now...I might just drive up to SMU tomorrow and ask them whats up. My status check says "Application Completed" from 5/4/09

I don't know about anyone else's status history, but mine read "Application Completed" since February. It never changed until today when it changed from "Application Completed" to "Waitlisted", with no other status in between such as "In Review" or the like. So maybe they are still reviewing it and just aren't telling you, because it seems that's what they did to me.

masondixon

Postby masondixon » Mon May 11, 2009 10:27 pm

im waitlisted too. i guarantee you this "waitlist" status is just another attempt from them to buy more time. roar. can't deal.

Rocky Estoppel

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Mon May 11, 2009 10:49 pm

just returned from seeing Star Trek...awesome movie btw...thought I'd get home to have my status checker changed but no...still at "application completed" :?

argentinabrends

Postby argentinabrends » Mon May 11, 2009 11:08 pm

i've been complete since 1/9/09...applied mid december and took the december lsat which made me go "re-complete"...and the kicker...i GO to SMU...woohoo!

BigAristotle

Postby BigAristotle » Mon May 11, 2009 11:11 pm

masondixon wrote:im waitlisted too. i guarantee you this "waitlist" status is just another attempt from them to buy more time. roar. can't deal.

I'm fairly certain if your status is Waitlisted, you are actually waitlisted and will have to ride it out like any other waitlist. I'm more curious on those who haven't had a status change.

Does anyone know if SMU's waitlist is ranked?

soccerchick47

Postby soccerchick47 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:15 pm

I don't know if it's ranked but I would love to find out~ that, and information such as when the next seat deposit is, the size of the WL, etc....

sapereaude2012

Postby sapereaude2012 » Tue May 12, 2009 12:17 am

So May 11 has come and gone, and I still am "Application Complete 2/19/2009"...

Wow SMU. And they probably won't offer any scholarship money even if I get in.

BigAristotle

Postby BigAristotle » Tue May 12, 2009 12:57 am

sapereaude2012 wrote:So May 11 has come and gone, and I still am "Application Complete 2/19/2009"...

+1. Without almost any money lurking (unless they have substantial need-based aid, cuz I'm super poor), I can't take 150K at SMU over ~60-70 at U of H.

sapereaude2012

Postby sapereaude2012 » Tue May 12, 2009 1:24 am

BigAristotle wrote:
sapereaude2012 wrote:So May 11 has come and gone, and I still am "Application Complete 2/19/2009"...

+1. Without almost any money lurking (unless they have substantial need-based aid, cuz I'm super poor), I can't take 150K at SMU over ~60-70 at U of H.

BigA you haven't heard anything yet either? Man this is lame. For me if it's sticker at SMU, I'm just gonna bite the bullet and take out the extra money for GW at ~$200k

Horns4LYFE

Postby Horns4LYFE » Tue May 12, 2009 1:40 am

Hey all, I have had a few requests for information on my May 11 admit. Once I get my admissions packet (they said it should be mailed either Tuesday or Wednesday, hopefully it will get here by Thursday), I can give you all information on when the seat deposit is due, admit days, scholarship info (doubtful there will be any), and any other information they give me.

Here's to hoping they don't send me a big "OOPS -- we made a mistake" in the mail instead

--Horns4LYFE

betasteve wrote:
soccerchick47 wrote:I don't know if it's ranked but I would love to find out~ that, and information such as when the next seat deposit is, the size of the WL, etc....

I was a Feb admit, and we have a seat deposit of $300 due June 1st. It seems like later admits have a different due date, though the June 1 could also be for all. Don't know.

Good luck to all that still do not know and to those on the WL!

thiscyclesucks

Postby thiscyclesucks » Tue May 12, 2009 10:00 am

Did anyone try calling yesterday??? I keep re-reading the extended decision deadline email in case I missed anything and it's driving me nuts.

Hook 'Em

Postby Hook 'Em » Tue May 12, 2009 10:06 am

BigAristotle wrote:

I called again yesterday to ask about scholarship availability. They mentioned that they don't have any money now, but anticipate some funds being available after the June 1 deposit deadline.

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Tue May 12, 2009 11:32 am

So should we just assume that we are all waitlisted??

thiscyclesucks

Postby thiscyclesucks » Tue May 12, 2009 11:38 am

What we know:

People were rejected/given postponed decision deadline on April 30th.

A ton of people seem to be waitlisted on May 11th, and one person supposedly got accepted yesterday (that we know of).

What we don't know:

Besides everything...what they are doing about the people who had no change at all yesterday...any ideas?

cybpiero

Postby cybpiero » Tue May 12, 2009 12:15 pm

I called them. No decision has been made for people who are still in the application complete stage. They "are working hard to make a decision by this week". There is still hope apparently...

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Tue May 12, 2009 12:35 pm

cybpiero wrote:I called them. No decision has been made for people who are still in the application complete stage. They "are working hard to make a decision by this week". There is still hope apparently...

+1 that is what they told me as well...so I guess they are not just waitlisting everybody?

BigAristotle

Postby BigAristotle » Tue May 12, 2009 12:38 pm

cybpiero wrote:I called them. No decision has been made for people who are still in the application complete stage. They "are working hard to make a decision by this week". There is still hope apparently...

That is good news, maybe, or not. God, there is almost no way I can concentrate on work...I put all the stress/tension/pressure in the back of my mind since April 1st, when I visited, but it started piling up this weekend, and I expected the release valve to be opened on Monday.

I've got friends attending SMU and U of H bugging me if I know where I'm going, and for living plans; and don't even get started on parentals and relatives.

soccerchick47

Postby soccerchick47 » Tue May 12, 2009 12:45 pm

Good luck to all of you still waiting- I'm so bummed that I got WLed, but I think that if you haven't heard yet it's a good thing because they think you're such a strong candidate! Interested to hear how it all works out, and hoping they make some moves from the WL....!

sprint047

Postby sprint047 » Tue May 12, 2009 12:53 pm

Hi Everyone-

I have been following this post for about a month, but this is the first time I have posted a reply. I was one of the very lucky ones that received a call on April 20 and was admitted into the PT program. For those wondering about seat deposits and such, here it is:

Full seat deposit of $400.00 due by June 1st.
PT admitted students dinner-May 21.
PT orientation-August 17, 18, and 19 during the evenings.
First day of class-August 24.
No mention of scholarship money or any type of financial aid package as of yet.

I hope this helps and good luck to everyone!

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Tue May 12, 2009 12:57 pm

sprint047 wrote:Hi Everyone-

I have been following this post for about a month, but this is the first time I have posted a reply. I was one of the very lucky ones that received a call on April 20 and was admitted into the PT program. For those wondering about seat deposits and such, here it is:

Full seat deposit of $400.00 due by June 1st.
PT admitted students dinner-May 21.
PT orientation-August 17, 18, and 19 during the evenings.
First day of class-August 24.
No mention of scholarship money or any type of financial aid package as of yet.

I hope this helps and good luck to everyone!

Do you mind sharing your #'s?

thucydides

Postby thucydides » Tue May 12, 2009 1:02 pm

Hey guys, I just withdrew. I'm one of the ones with no decision still, so now they have one less file to review. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

sprint047

Postby sprint047 » Tue May 12, 2009 1:37 pm

Sure-

My story is kinda long, but here it goes:

I originally took the LSAT in Dec 2007 and had a TERRIBLE score. I still applied to SMU with the terrible score, was surprisingly wait listed, but ended up not getting in (I got a letter on August 23-the day after orientation-letting me know I had not been admitted off of the wait list). I re-took the LSAT in Dec 2008 and ended up with a 158. Also, I applied to both Full and PT.

I had returned to school to complete my undergrad in 2006 (I'm 40) and my overall GPA is 3.65. I think it helped, though, that my GPA from my most recent last two years of undergrad was a 4.0, since my first two years of college were done 20 years ago.

To everyone who is wait listed: last year I sent a wait list letter within a week or so of being wait listed, but did not call or follow up throughout the summer to express my continued interest. In an info session I attended this year, the dean did say that if wait listed, you most defiantly should call periodically or even better, send a few e-mails which will get put into your file for the committee to see.

Also, on the whole status checker changing and admit call questions, this is how mine went:

Sent app on December 19 but they had to wait to receive my Dec LSAT score. Went complete on 1/23.
Status Date changed on 4/14 and program changed to JD Evening. Still said application completed.
Status changed to Decision Rendered on Monday, 4/20 sometime between 9:00 and 12:00. Got the call later that day on 4/20 at 4:30 Dallas time.

I also had sent an e-mail expressing my continued interest on April 3.

soccerchick47

Postby soccerchick47 » Tue May 12, 2009 1:49 pm

sprint047 wrote:Sure-

My story is kinda long, but here it goes:

I originally took the LSAT in Dec 2007 and had a TERRIBLE score. I still applied to SMU with the terrible score, was surprisingly wait listed, but ended up not getting in (I got a letter on August 23-the day after orientation-letting me know I had not been admitted off of the wait list). I re-took the LSAT in Dec 2008 and ended up with a 158. Also, I applied to both Full and PT.

I had returned to school to complete my undergrad in 2006 (I'm 40) and my overall GPA is 3.65. I think it helped, though, that my GPA from my most recent last two years of undergrad was a 4.0, since my first two years of college were done 20 years ago.

To everyone who is wait listed: last year I sent a wait list letter within a week or so of being wait listed, but did not call or follow up throughout the summer to express my continued interest. In an info session I attended this year, the dean did say that if wait listed, you most defiantly should call periodically or even better, send a few e-mails which will get put into your file for the committee to see.

Also, on the whole status checker changing and admit call questions, this is how mine went:

Sent app on December 19 but they had to wait to receive my Dec LSAT score. Went complete on 1/23.
Status Date changed on 4/14 and program changed to JD Evening. Still said application completed.
Status changed to Decision Rendered on Monday, 4/20 sometime between 9:00 and 12:00. Got the call later that day on 4/20 at 4:30 Dallas time.

I also had sent an e-mail expressing my continued interest on April 3.

Interesting story- congrats on your admission! Do you know if the waitlist is ranked? Or how many people (about) were able to get off it the year you were on it?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”