Anybody heard back from SMU?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zach127

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby zach127 » Fri May 01, 2009 2:54 pm

man I hope so, just seems that smu is a fan of calling in accepts for both ft and pt

gator08

Postby gator08 » Fri May 01, 2009 3:12 pm

BigAristotle wrote:
soccerchick47 wrote:
OasisFan wrote:
BigAristotle wrote:Rant incoming-

I'm getting a little peeved at SMU's admission office. As an applicant I'm fairly strong. According to LSN I'd have the highest LSAT for an applicant is still pending. Chuck in a laundry list of very strong softs and good to very good LOR's, I'm a strong candidate. However, I know my C&F addendum is a warning label (which I'm kicking myself for how much I disclosed at this point). Yet, if my C&F is going to stop my admittance, just LET ME KNOW! I applied back in October! I was fine with being held from ED to be compared against the RD pool, but at this point, I'm either accepted or rejected! What good is me going on the waitlist going to be? What else could I do to get off of a waitlist there? 2 LOCI's(one of which stated I would attend unequivocally) as well as a visit & interview. If I get waitlisted, how long am I suppose to wait on a non-ranked waitlist?! (That's an entirely different issue, I hate non-ranked waitlists, the ambiguous, vague grouped waitlist offers no peace of mind!) I'll have the strongest stats (or close enough) of anyone on there, so what else could I possibly be asked to do to get off! And now with money all but gone, I'd have to look at 20-60k more debt to attend SMU over U of H. Gorramit!

/rantoff

+1

i'm surprised how you haven't heard back. I know that my LSAT doesn't meet the magic # of 160, but I was hoping that my GPA from a strong school might have given me a boost for their PT program bc after all that is what I wanted all along. Oh well...

Aristotle- I feel your pain, waiting an extra week doesn't seem lke much of a help to them and more of just an annoyance to us. You seem like a great candidate and I think you will get in, but I agree that it's annoying to be jerked around so long. Also, maybe dumb question but what is C&F and what did you disclose that might have hurt your chances?

Oasis- Why do you say that 160 is the magic #? Because of LSN? Just wondering since I'm right around there....

Character & Fitness. I disclosed a criminal incident, but I way overdisclosed, and the entire incident is about to be sealed/expunged :(.

You would still need to disclose it even if it has been sealed or expunged. The risk of playing the "sealed/expunged" game is not close to being worth ot. The BAR association of each state runs an FBI criminal report on you b4 admission, which includes even expunged or sealed convictions. You did the right thing.

BigAristotle

Postby BigAristotle » Fri May 01, 2009 3:15 pm

gator08 wrote:You would still need to disclose it even if it has been sealed or expunged. The risk of playing the "sealed/expunged" game is not close to being worth ot. The BAR association of each state runs an FBI criminal report on you b4 admission, which includes even expunged or sealed convictions. You did the right thing.

Trust me, I know. However, I included details/facts/specifications that were not necessary, out of fear of not disclosing enough.

And also, the Texas Bar does not even take expunged or sealed convictions into consideration for C&F portion. If it is not on your official record, it does not come into question via the process.

sapereaude2012

Postby sapereaude2012 » Fri May 01, 2009 5:10 pm

I can totally empathize BigA. I have a similar situation regarding C&F (all charges dropped, going to get expunged soon) but I disclosed EVERYTHING and now I have to think that's why its taking SMU so long. I'm pretty peeved myself. They could have at least given me some sort of notification like the held for further review. My LORs were great, 3.8 GPA, 162 LSAT, and tons of good softs. Is getting arrested as a 17 year old really this big of a deal?!?

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Fri May 01, 2009 5:12 pm

sapereaude2012 wrote:I can totally empathize BigA. I have a similar situation regarding C&F (all charges dropped, going to get expunged soon) but I disclosed EVERYTHING and now I have to think that's why its taking SMU so long. I'm pretty peeved myself. They could have at least given me some sort of notification like the held for further review. My LORs were great, 3.8 GPA, 162 LSAT, and tons of good softs. Is getting arrested as a 17 year old really this big of a deal?!?

Doubtful, You will be hearing an acceptance soon with #'s like that

smiley26

Postby smiley26 » Fri May 01, 2009 9:05 pm

OasisFan wrote:
sapereaude2012 wrote:I can totally empathize BigA. I have a similar situation regarding C&F (all charges dropped, going to get expunged soon) but I disclosed EVERYTHING and now I have to think that's why its taking SMU so long. I'm pretty peeved myself. They could have at least given me some sort of notification like the held for further review. My LORs were great, 3.8 GPA, 162 LSAT, and tons of good softs. Is getting arrested as a 17 year old really this big of a deal?!?

Doubtful, You will be hearing an acceptance soon with #'s like that

I DON'T have a criminal record of any kind and I have a 162 and a 3.7...so it could just be that they are taking a while and have nothing to do with your C&F

eamonbriggs08

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Sat May 02, 2009 6:38 pm

lol, well aren't we all just a bunch of thugs- I also have an expunged 'situation' that I chose to write about in my C&F essay. Long story short, it involves comrade Stolichnaya and explains part of why I hate Baylor so much...

Everyone except Mrs. Smiley apparently. I'm sure Huston and Oravetz are proud of you. *inside joke*

smiley26

Postby smiley26 » Sun May 03, 2009 2:14 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:lol, well aren't we all just a bunch of thugs- I also have an expunged 'situation' that I chose to write about in my C&F essay. Long story short, it involves comrade Stolichnaya and explains part of why I hate Baylor so much...

Everyone except Mrs. Smiley apparently. I'm sure Huston and Oravetz are proud of you. *inside joke*

BAHA!

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Mon May 04, 2009 12:57 pm

hm....my status went from "Held For Further Review" to "Application Completed" today....how strange (and confusing) Why are the going reverse when looking at my application?

eamonbriggs08

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Mon May 04, 2009 1:04 pm

OasisFan wrote:hm....my status went from "Held For Further Review" to "Application Completed" today....how strange (and confusing) Why are the going reverse when looking at my application?

haha, is this the movie-moment where the clock hand slowly comes to a stop and then starts to go backwards?

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Mon May 04, 2009 1:31 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:
OasisFan wrote:hm....my status went from "Held For Further Review" to "Application Completed" today....how strange (and confusing) Why are the going reverse when looking at my application?

haha, is this the movie-moment where the clock hand slowly comes to a stop and then starts to go backwards?

BINGO

smiley26

Postby smiley26 » Mon May 04, 2009 1:37 pm

I am waiting for any locals who had their decision rendered at the end of last week to get their letters in the mail...

Jsmith20

Postby Jsmith20 » Mon May 04, 2009 2:15 pm

I am as local as you can get: I live across the street from the school. I was told Friday that they were mailed out Friday morning. I did not get it on Saturday but I am expecting to see it today. I will post once the mail arrives....

soccerchick47

Postby soccerchick47 » Mon May 04, 2009 2:51 pm

So when do you get your mail, JSmith!? I'm excited to hear!

bantha

Postby bantha » Mon May 04, 2009 3:16 pm

I live 1 1/2 hours away from SMU...got my letter today. Stone Cold Reject...expected however.

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Mon May 04, 2009 3:25 pm

bantha wrote:I live 1 1/2 hours away from SMU...got my letter today. Stone Cold Reject...expected however.

Sorry to hear it...were you in that group of "Decision Rendered" last week?

bantha

Postby bantha » Mon May 04, 2009 3:34 pm

OasisFan wrote:
bantha wrote:I live 1 1/2 hours away from SMU...got my letter today. Stone Cold Reject...expected however.

Sorry to hear it...were you in that group of "Decision Rendered" last week?

Yes I was....4/30 decision rendered date. Best of luck to all of you who have not heard yet.

soccerchick47

Postby soccerchick47 » Mon May 04, 2009 4:44 pm

I'm sure you will enjoy wherever you do go, Bantha! Anyone else that had a decision rendered hear anything? Or any status checkers change today?

Lizzy081881

Postby Lizzy081881 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:03 pm

Well, I got my letter this afternoon and it was a rejection. A tiny bit surprised.... I called to see why and then just said pretty much what we've been hearing.... basically that they've gotten a lot of seat deposits back so they can be a bit picker. Oh well, good luck to you all!

OasisFan

Postby OasisFan » Mon May 04, 2009 6:41 pm

Lizzy081881 wrote:Well, I got my letter this afternoon and it was a rejection. A tiny bit surprised.... I called to see why and then just said pretty much what we've been hearing.... basically that they've gotten a lot of seat deposits back so they can be a bit picker. Oh well, good luck to you all!

Did you apply to FT & PT?? If not, you should ask them to consider you for PT

dgippoli

Postby dgippoli » Mon May 04, 2009 6:58 pm

I live a few miles from SMU. Status changed to decision 4/30. Nothing in the mail today. I applied to the PT.

Jkess

Postby Jkess » Mon May 04, 2009 9:54 pm

My status still says "application completed", as of 1/22. Does that mean that I could be on the waitlist? Or do you think it means an outright rejection? I got the email the other day too about the postponement too and I changed my application to PT as well as FT. I hope that helps some.

smiley26

Postby smiley26 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:08 pm

:|

Jsmith20

Postby Jsmith20 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:32 pm

I still didn't get anything in the mail either. I applied for FT and PT.

Jsmith20

Postby Jsmith20 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:06 am

One more thing! To those who had decision rendered on 4/30 if you check the law school numbers site, they sent out accepts and rejects both; you can see what those LSAT and gpas were too.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”