Anybody heard back from SMU?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bill51
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby bill51 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:14 pm

My status hasn't changed (Held for Further Review) but I do have the 4/30/09 mailing (got the email this afternoon).

tcwhat
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:33 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby tcwhat » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:22 pm

Great. I love being jerked around by an admission committee.

I just can't fathom that SMU would have a jump in their applications that would warrant such dereliction in their review process. Other schools have handled increases in applications perfectly fine and the fact that your dean is out on maternity leave is something that should have been foreseen.

User avatar
bcb1986
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:36 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby bcb1986 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:33 pm

Someone asked about deposit deadlines. The first $100 deposit has varied based on your acceptance date (ED: April 1, first round RD: April 15, second round RD: May 1, apparently now there's a May 15 group). The second $300 deposit is due June 1 for everyone.

Good luck to all of you.

bill51
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby bill51 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:33 pm

Here's a question: For those of you with your status as "Decision Rendered" and no mailings, did you receive the email about the deadline extension?

smuwannab
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby smuwannab » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:52 pm

no email or mail date just decision rendered dun dun duuuuun - ok maybe w/o the last part

User avatar
eamonbriggs08
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby eamonbriggs08 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:59 pm

smuwannab wrote:I have a sneaky suspicion that decision rendered are rejections - no phone calls yet right?


I'd have guessed those were acceptances...I guess they will find out soon enough...

smuwannab
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby smuwannab » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:19 pm

i hope they are acceptances since I got the decision rendered aka poss death notice - the only way I can see them being acceptances if we are all accepted into the PT program (which is what I applied for) b/c based on what I can tell with LSN all decision rendered seemed to have LSAT scores close to 155

smuwannab
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby smuwannab » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:21 pm

not really a good sign given the other recently acceptance LSAT scores

mynameisizy
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:21 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby mynameisizy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:23 pm

I think everyone might be getting it wrong. I don't necessarily believe the "decision rendered" change for today are rejects, and especially not waitlists. I think the waitlist letters are going out closer to May 11. No one got a phone call today b/c they were probably too busy playing catch-up.

mattgiraud wrote:
...also, i have a friend at SMU who never received a call when she was accepted last year. So don't give up hope :D


ex. Lizzy with a 160/3.0 and apparently good soft factors would definitely be competitive for PT and is in no way an outright reject for FT (especially with a lot of the other lower stats i've seen who still haven't heard anything).

It is my personal belief that all of the outright rejects have already been notified. I think that today they just wanted to give out enough offers to fill the remaining of the class. They probably postponed 'til 5/11 b/c apparently there's a seat deposit due 5/1. Assuming many people withdraw, this would keep the people at the top of their waitlist (the people who are better for their stats) from accepting offers elsewhere and withdrawing from SMU if they had gotten waitlisted today.


Sorry everyone, I'm just typing as I think, so here's what I think is going on:
1. They have a tentative waitlist, with preferred, general, and last resort (probably people who would've normally been rejected by this time last year) stacks. This waitlist is probably large to compensate for an expected large withdrawal in the coming days b/c of the large amount of seat deposits.
2. Depending on how many people withdraw and/or don't put down a deposit tomorrow will ultimately determine the fate of all of us who haven't yet heard. Those at the top of the preferred list will get offers as people withdraw, keeping all seats filled (much like a normal waitlist, just not officially).
3. Once the 5/11 deadline nears, the admissions committee can then determine their final waitlist. With a large withdrawal, some of the last resort people might make the waitlist cut (but still their chances are bleak). Either way, many/most of them will be rejected.

Essentially, b/c of the large amount of deposits, SMU feels they need to postpone things until they hear back after the May 1st deadline. It's a US News ranking tactic. SMU's hedging their high stats, especially after their ranking drop. If they waitlist now, they will potentially lose the better numbers to other schools. Either way, they still need a large enough tentative waitlist to makeup for all those expected withdrawals coming.


So what does this mean for us? That there will only be as many offers in the next week as there are withdrawals by those already offered. And those offers are only going to the preferred/top of the list. The remaining will be officially waitlisted up to the limit, and everyone else rejected. Yup, these are my opinions... any thoughts?

lol i just reread what i typed. i pretty much said the same thing in 3 different ways.

~AndrewQ

smuwannab
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby smuwannab » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:22 pm

i hope u r correct, maybe phone calls will be tomorrow - it is Friday after all, either way gl to everyone!

User avatar
Rocky Estoppel
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:40 pm

Got the postponement email here as well. :?

Dallasbound
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:28 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Dallasbound » Fri May 01, 2009 9:31 am

The 'decision rendered' guys are probably rejections. Look at the LSAT scores for those people versus the people who got the hold email. They wanted to clear the rejects out, leaving the rest to either fill the spots as people withdraw, or languish on the waitlist.

Jsmith20
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Jsmith20 » Fri May 01, 2009 9:55 am

If you applied to both the FT and the PT, if the FT did not outright accept you, your application was sent to different admissions counselors for review to the PT program. Those would not be candidate for the FT waitlist, they automatically shoot them for review into the PT program. That was told to me verbatim from the admissions office. Looks to me like all the decision rendered people applied to both. So I am willing to bet they are either accepts for PT or outright rejections.

OasisFan
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby OasisFan » Fri May 01, 2009 10:16 am

Jsmith20 wrote:If you applied to both the FT and the PT, if the FT did not outright accept you, your application was sent to different admissions counselors for review to the PT program. Those would not be candidate for the FT waitlist, they automatically shoot them for review into the PT program. That was told to me verbatim from the admissions office. Looks to me like all the decision rendered people applied to both. So I am willing to bet they are either accepts for PT or outright rejections.


I applied to both programs, and my application hasn't changed whatsoever since I got held...its becoming pretty annoying

smuwannab
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby smuwannab » Fri May 01, 2009 10:45 am

I got a decision rendered and only applied to the PT program not both

User avatar
BigAristotle
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby BigAristotle » Fri May 01, 2009 10:55 am

Rant incoming-

I'm getting a little peeved at SMU's admission office. As an applicant I'm fairly strong. According to LSN I'd have the highest LSAT for an applicant is still pending. Chuck in a laundry list of very strong softs and good to very good LOR's, I'm a strong candidate. However, I know my C&F addendum is a warning label (which I'm kicking myself for how much I disclosed at this point). Yet, if my C&F is going to stop my admittance, just LET ME KNOW! I applied back in October! I was fine with being held from ED to be compared against the RD pool, but at this point, I'm either accepted or rejected! What good is me going on the waitlist going to be? What else could I do to get off of a waitlist there? 2 LOCI's(one of which stated I would attend unequivocally) as well as a visit & interview. If I get waitlisted, how long am I suppose to wait on a non-ranked waitlist?! (That's an entirely different issue, I hate non-ranked waitlists, the ambiguous, vague grouped waitlist offers no peace of mind!) I'll have the strongest stats (or close enough) of anyone on there, so what else could I possibly be asked to do to get off! And now with money all but gone, I'd have to look at 20-60k more debt to attend SMU over U of H. Gorramit!

/rantoff

OasisFan
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby OasisFan » Fri May 01, 2009 10:57 am

BigAristotle wrote:Rant incoming-

I'm getting a little peeved at SMU's admission office. As an applicant I'm fairly strong. According to LSN I'd have the highest LSAT for an applicant is still pending. Chuck in a laundry list of very strong softs and good to very good LOR's, I'm a strong candidate. However, I know my C&F addendum is a warning label (which I'm kicking myself for how much I disclosed at this point). Yet, if my C&F is going to stop my admittance, just LET ME KNOW! I applied back in October! I was fine with being held from ED to be compared against the RD pool, but at this point, I'm either accepted or rejected! What good is me going on the waitlist going to be? What else could I do to get off of a waitlist there? 2 LOCI's(one of which stated I would attend unequivocally) as well as a visit & interview. If I get waitlisted, how long am I suppose to wait on a non-ranked waitlist?! (That's an entirely different issue, I hate non-ranked waitlists, the ambiguous, vague grouped waitlist offers no peace of mind!) I'll have the strongest stats (or close enough) of anyone on there, so what else could I possibly be asked to do to get off! And now with money all but gone, I'd have to look at 20-60k more debt to attend SMU over U of H. Gorramit!

/rantoff


+1

i'm surprised how you haven't heard back. I know that my LSAT doesn't meet the magic # of 160, but I was hoping that my GPA from a strong school might have given me a boost for their PT program bc after all that is what I wanted all along. Oh well...

User avatar
soccerchick47
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:35 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby soccerchick47 » Fri May 01, 2009 11:14 am

OasisFan wrote:
BigAristotle wrote:Rant incoming-

I'm getting a little peeved at SMU's admission office. As an applicant I'm fairly strong. According to LSN I'd have the highest LSAT for an applicant is still pending. Chuck in a laundry list of very strong softs and good to very good LOR's, I'm a strong candidate. However, I know my C&F addendum is a warning label (which I'm kicking myself for how much I disclosed at this point). Yet, if my C&F is going to stop my admittance, just LET ME KNOW! I applied back in October! I was fine with being held from ED to be compared against the RD pool, but at this point, I'm either accepted or rejected! What good is me going on the waitlist going to be? What else could I do to get off of a waitlist there? 2 LOCI's(one of which stated I would attend unequivocally) as well as a visit & interview. If I get waitlisted, how long am I suppose to wait on a non-ranked waitlist?! (That's an entirely different issue, I hate non-ranked waitlists, the ambiguous, vague grouped waitlist offers no peace of mind!) I'll have the strongest stats (or close enough) of anyone on there, so what else could I possibly be asked to do to get off! And now with money all but gone, I'd have to look at 20-60k more debt to attend SMU over U of H. Gorramit!

/rantoff


+1

i'm surprised how you haven't heard back. I know that my LSAT doesn't meet the magic # of 160, but I was hoping that my GPA from a strong school might have given me a boost for their PT program bc after all that is what I wanted all along. Oh well...




Aristotle- I feel your pain, waiting an extra week doesn't seem lke much of a help to them and more of just an annoyance to us. You seem like a great candidate and I think you will get in, but I agree that it's annoying to be jerked around so long. Also, maybe dumb question but what is C&F and what did you disclose that might have hurt your chances?

Oasis- Why do you say that 160 is the magic #? Because of LSN? Just wondering since I'm right around there....

Jsmith20
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Jsmith20 » Fri May 01, 2009 11:15 am

I just spoke to admissions and they said that even though my status changed yesterday to decision rendered I may not receive notification until May 11. She said that they will be sending them out as they go. I even told her I did not receive the email others received yesterday so I thought I would get something in the mail and she said no, across the board everyone was extended to May 11.

User avatar
BigAristotle
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby BigAristotle » Fri May 01, 2009 11:25 am

soccerchick47 wrote:
OasisFan wrote:
BigAristotle wrote:Rant incoming-

I'm getting a little peeved at SMU's admission office. As an applicant I'm fairly strong. According to LSN I'd have the highest LSAT for an applicant is still pending. Chuck in a laundry list of very strong softs and good to very good LOR's, I'm a strong candidate. However, I know my C&F addendum is a warning label (which I'm kicking myself for how much I disclosed at this point). Yet, if my C&F is going to stop my admittance, just LET ME KNOW! I applied back in October! I was fine with being held from ED to be compared against the RD pool, but at this point, I'm either accepted or rejected! What good is me going on the waitlist going to be? What else could I do to get off of a waitlist there? 2 LOCI's(one of which stated I would attend unequivocally) as well as a visit & interview. If I get waitlisted, how long am I suppose to wait on a non-ranked waitlist?! (That's an entirely different issue, I hate non-ranked waitlists, the ambiguous, vague grouped waitlist offers no peace of mind!) I'll have the strongest stats (or close enough) of anyone on there, so what else could I possibly be asked to do to get off! And now with money all but gone, I'd have to look at 20-60k more debt to attend SMU over U of H. Gorramit!

/rantoff


+1

i'm surprised how you haven't heard back. I know that my LSAT doesn't meet the magic # of 160, but I was hoping that my GPA from a strong school might have given me a boost for their PT program bc after all that is what I wanted all along. Oh well...




Aristotle- I feel your pain, waiting an extra week doesn't seem lke much of a help to them and more of just an annoyance to us. You seem like a great candidate and I think you will get in, but I agree that it's annoying to be jerked around so long. Also, maybe dumb question but what is C&F and what did you disclose that might have hurt your chances?

Oasis- Why do you say that 160 is the magic #? Because of LSN? Just wondering since I'm right around there....


Character & Fitness. I disclosed a criminal incident, but I way overdisclosed, and the entire incident is about to be sealed/expunged :(.

OasisFan
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby OasisFan » Fri May 01, 2009 11:34 am

soccerchick47 wrote:
OasisFan wrote:
BigAristotle wrote:Rant incoming-

I'm getting a little peeved at SMU's admission office. As an applicant I'm fairly strong. According to LSN I'd have the highest LSAT for an applicant is still pending. Chuck in a laundry list of very strong softs and good to very good LOR's, I'm a strong candidate. However, I know my C&F addendum is a warning label (which I'm kicking myself for how much I disclosed at this point). Yet, if my C&F is going to stop my admittance, just LET ME KNOW! I applied back in October! I was fine with being held from ED to be compared against the RD pool, but at this point, I'm either accepted or rejected! What good is me going on the waitlist going to be? What else could I do to get off of a waitlist there? 2 LOCI's(one of which stated I would attend unequivocally) as well as a visit & interview. If I get waitlisted, how long am I suppose to wait on a non-ranked waitlist?! (That's an entirely different issue, I hate non-ranked waitlists, the ambiguous, vague grouped waitlist offers no peace of mind!) I'll have the strongest stats (or close enough) of anyone on there, so what else could I possibly be asked to do to get off! And now with money all but gone, I'd have to look at 20-60k more debt to attend SMU over U of H. Gorramit!

/rantoff


+1

i'm surprised how you haven't heard back. I know that my LSAT doesn't meet the magic # of 160, but I was hoping that my GPA from a strong school might have given me a boost for their PT program bc after all that is what I wanted all along. Oh well...




Aristotle- I feel your pain, waiting an extra week doesn't seem lke much of a help to them and more of just an annoyance to us. You seem like a great candidate and I think you will get in, but I agree that it's annoying to be jerked around so long. Also, maybe dumb question but what is C&F and what did you disclose that might have hurt your chances?

Oasis- Why do you say that 160 is the magic #? Because of LSN? Just wondering since I'm right around there....


I just think that law schools have certain arbitrary ways of distinguishing applicants. I didn't really take it from LSN or anywhere...

Rachyk
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:07 am

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Rachyk » Fri May 01, 2009 11:47 am

Has anybody seen a change with their status checker today?

Jsmith20
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Jsmith20 » Fri May 01, 2009 2:29 pm

I just emailed the admissions office they said decision letters were mailed this morning for those whose status changed to decision rendered yesterday.

zach127
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby zach127 » Fri May 01, 2009 2:44 pm

so I guess that means decisions are rejections..

Jsmith20
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Postby Jsmith20 » Fri May 01, 2009 2:48 pm

zach127 wrote:so I guess that means decisions are rejections..


May just be wishful thinking on my part, but I think they are PT decisions. accepts and rejects...I hope!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: curry1, DoYouEvenTLS, Long shot hero, Motionsinlemons, Rich Uncle Skeleton, TAD, xnsch and 23 guests