Anybody heard back from SMU? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
overtheoxer

New

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Post by overtheoxer » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:27 pm

nontradintexas wrote:
overtheoxer wrote:nontradintexas - Keep in mind that if you live in Allen or Mckinney, you'll be driving with the traffic on 75. As chadwick218 stated, that drive can be painful!
Do you feel like it would be bad driving at odd times? I'd likely leave before 6:30 every day and come home either 3-4 or 6-7 (maybe later). I'm used to driving nearly an hour, so do you think it would be worse than that at those times?

Betasteve - I know what you mean about feeling like there's a lot to do. We're freaking out about selling our house and it's only been on the market for a week. Ultimately it seems like every step we need to take from this point forward hinges on that, so it would be nice if that was done! BTW - if anyone needs a house in the NW Austin suburbs, I'll make you a deal! :D
Leaving at 6:30, you'll likely have traffic but less than if you leave later. 3-4 shouldn't be too bad. Traffic on most streets and highways tend to get heavy around 5 when everyone is making a mad dash home. I cross over 75 around 6 every day and the traffic is still heavy going towards Allen and Mckinney. If you are used to driving an hour then it shouldn't be a big deal.

sk8erb0imike

New

Post by sk8erb0imike » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:31 pm

Is there any difference at all graduating from the PT program and the FT program?

Also, how is the weather year around in Dallas? Not from anywhere close.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:33 pm

sk8erb0imike wrote:Is there any difference at all graduating from the PT program and the FT program?

Also, how is the weather year around in Dallas? Not from anywhere close.
From what I understand, "The Diploma says SMU" not SMU Evening, and the faculty is the same, and after the first year you can take classes during the day because people like to flip flop and stuff internally.

The weather is hot during the summers, mild during the fall, and it can get pretty cold in the winter and warm and sometimes rainy during the spring.

Rachyk

New

Post by Rachyk » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:34 pm

Just called and was told that they aren't giving out any decisions today?!?! I'm guessing that they are getting a million phone calls because she did not even ask for my name or information. I was told that if the status checker said complete as of yesterday there has been no change with my file.......

lawkid786

New

Post by lawkid786 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:35 pm

Last edited by lawkid786 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pammons

New

Post by pammons » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:38 pm

I am having a heart attack. So I just hosted a Law School Admission Panel at my undergrad. Talked up the SMU officer. Didn't get far, just good impression (hopefully) Someone did call me from with an unknown number and left a message that asked for me by name but then got all messed up and disconnected. So are calls going out like right now??!

Chadwick, your house is real nice. But out of our price range, good luck.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:45 pm

I'm of the opinion that they are filling the classes up with this round, but are still waiting on seat deposits and the like, and will probably do another round of decisions at the end of the week. Historically, both in this cycle and previous, they send out acceptances on a Friday. I expect if your status changes anytime this week you are in, otherwise, rejection or waitlist after that.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:54 pm

BigAristotle wrote:I'm of the opinion that they are filling the classes up with this round, but are still waiting on seat deposits and the like, and will probably do another round of decisions at the end of the week. Historically, both in this cycle and previous, they send out acceptances on a Friday. I expect if your status changes anytime this week you are in, otherwise, rejection or waitlist after that.
I agree with the first part, but I doubt they will notify people at the end of this week...it looks like this is the last one.

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:17 pm

pammons wrote:I am having a heart attack. So I just hosted a Law School Admission Panel at my undergrad. Talked up the SMU officer. Didn't get far, just good impression (hopefully) Someone did call me from with an unknown number and left a message that asked for me by name but then got all messed up and disconnected. So are calls going out like right now??!

Chadwick, your house is real nice. But out of our price range, good luck.

Anyone who hosts a Law School Admission Panel probably attends a really snobby school. I bet you go to some pretentious liberal arts college or something ;-).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:19 pm

ashleylsmith wrote:Just got into SMU fulltime!!! Yay!!!
Congrats!

txelle

New

Post by txelle » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:34 pm

nontradintexas wrote:
overtheoxer wrote:nontradintexas - Keep in mind that if you live in Allen or Mckinney, you'll be driving with the traffic on 75. As chadwick218 stated, that drive can be painful!
Do you feel like it would be bad driving at odd times? I'd likely leave before 6:30 every day and come home either 3-4 or 6-7 (maybe later). I'm used to driving nearly an hour, so do you think it would be worse than that at those times?

Betasteve - I know what you mean about feeling like there's a lot to do. We're freaking out about selling our house and it's only been on the market for a week. Ultimately it seems like every step we need to take from this point forward hinges on that, so it would be nice if that was done! BTW - if anyone needs a house in the NW Austin suburbs, I'll make you a deal! :D

I grew up in Plano and spent my life commuting to Dallas to go to school. There's definitely traffic, but it's fine. I personally prefer the tollway over 75, and they keep building a lot of cool areas in Plano and just a little ways north along the tollway. If you have any questions about Plano feel free to ask!

CHS

New

Post by CHS » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:10 pm

Hey I was wondering how many people are still just application complete. I have been complete since 1/20. My numbers are 161 and 3.83, already been accepted to Tulane and Baylor and still have not even been reviewed by SMU. I was just wondering if this is the norm or what.

Rachyk

New

Post by Rachyk » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:30 pm

Mine still says application complete as well dated 1/22 and my numbers are 160/3.8

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:43 pm

Mine says, "Held for further review" (I applied Early Decision), and I am a 160/3.58

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:47 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:Mine says, "Held for further review" (I applied Early Decision), and I am a 160/3.58

+1

"Held For Further Review" Date:01/29/09

3.66/159

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:50 pm

Held for further review (Early Decision) 1/29/2009.

3.2, 166

CHS

New

Post by CHS » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:00 pm

Well it sounds like it is the norm for us in the lower 160's..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sapereaude2012

New

Post by sapereaude2012 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:07 pm

Just Application Complete 2/19/09 . 162/3.8

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:51 pm

I still have no idea why sapereaude2012 and BigAristotle have not been accepted yet, you guys should have been accepted a long time ago with those numbers. Sucks for me!

You should both withdraw out of principle...

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:41 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:I still have no idea why sapereaude2012 and BigAristotle have not been accepted yet, you guys should have been accepted a long time ago with those numbers. Sucks for me!

I sincerely regret my request to be considered for the PT program only ... as of today, I have learned that there is simply nothing in the way scholarship money available to PT students (or at least not to me).

With that said, it's likely Baylor or writing for the exam in June and re-applying in the fall ...

I have my withdrawal letter saved in my drafts folder. I just haven't brought myself to push that button just yet!

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:50 pm

OasisFan wrote:
eamonbriggs08 wrote:Mine says, "Held for further review" (I applied Early Decision), and I am a 160/3.58

+1

"Held For Further Review" Date:01/29/09

3.66/159
+1

3.76/159

y'all think we'll hear by friday?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:53 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
eamonbriggs08 wrote:I still have no idea why sapereaude2012 and BigAristotle have not been accepted yet, you guys should have been accepted a long time ago with those numbers. Sucks for me!

I sincerely regret my request to be considered for the PT program only ... as of today, I have learned that there is simply nothing in the way scholarship money available to PT students (or at least not to me).

With that said, it's likely Baylor or writing for the exam in June and re-applying in the fall ...

I have my withdrawal letter saved in my drafts folder. I just haven't brought myself to push that button just yet!

As I said before, I think you should go with SMU. However, If you are relatively certain that you are going to Baylor, there are many of us left who could benefit if you did not linger on your withdrawal :D

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:01 pm

This is not worth creating a poll for, but it's SMU at sticker for 4-years (PT) versus a full-ride at Baylor ...

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:06 pm

Sounds like you know what you're going to do.

I wouldn't hold it against you if you made some sort of reference to Eamon Briggs as a preferred alternative in your withdrawal letter.

sapereaude2012

New

Post by sapereaude2012 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:26 pm

Thanks Eamon. I have had a weird cycle thus far, and SMU is really not helping!! Best of luck with your decision Chadwick

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”