Anybody heard back from SMU? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mynameisizy

New

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Post by mynameisizy » Tue May 05, 2009 12:52 pm

i see the rejections... but none of the acceptances for the 4/30 cycle.

smubound

New

Post by smubound » Tue May 05, 2009 5:17 pm

Anybody, anything?

JD2008

New

Post by JD2008 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:57 pm

New SMU Promotional Video:

http://www.vimeo.com/4202868

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:37 am

JD2008 wrote:New SMU Promotional Video:

http://www.vimeo.com/4202868
Hillarious, I love it. Should I forward to the admissions office and congratulate them on such a helpful promotion?
:D

mcbizkit02

New

Post by mcbizkit02 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:52 am

Got rejection letter yesterday

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

soccerchick47

New

Post by soccerchick47 » Wed May 06, 2009 12:11 pm

mcbizkit02 wrote:Got rejection letter yesterday
Sorry to hear that, were you decision rendered on the 30th?

Anyone else's status checkers change today/yesterday?

smiley26

New

Post by smiley26 » Wed May 06, 2009 12:15 pm

Given the trend this cycle I would put money on calls this Friday and rejection/waitlist letters sent out the following Monday (the 11th).

Good luck everyone, I know this whole process has been emotionally draining for all of us. I really wish we knew how many spots we were fighting against how many applicants for, but thats just the way it goes.

Here is my question...where will everyone be attending if they DON'T get into SMU?

I'll be at American (which is actually a huge move for me...)

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Wed May 06, 2009 1:07 pm

smiley26 wrote:Given the trend this cycle I would put money on calls this Friday and rejection/waitlist letters sent out the following Monday (the 11th).

Good luck everyone, I know this whole process has been emotionally draining for all of us. I really wish we knew how many spots we were fighting against how many applicants for, but thats just the way it goes.

Here is my question...where will everyone be attending if they DON'T get into SMU?

Houston

Jsmith20

New

Post by Jsmith20 » Wed May 06, 2009 1:08 pm

I got 2 rejection letters, one for FT and one for PT. I was 158/3.2, five years out of undergrad.

I applied to Pepperdine also, but I won't hear back from them until the end of June.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Wed May 06, 2009 1:11 pm

smiley26 wrote:Given the trend this cycle I would put money on calls this Friday and rejection/waitlist letters sent out the following Monday (the 11th).

Houston

sapereaude2012

New

Post by sapereaude2012 » Wed May 06, 2009 1:45 pm

BigAristotle wrote:

I put down seat deposits at George Mason and Pepperdine so probably one of those (barring movement off of one of my 6 waitlists)

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Wed May 06, 2009 1:53 pm

As it stands I'd probably end up at the University of Miami...

so you guys see why I desperately NEED to get into SMU (or Houston).

My cycle went about as bad as it possibly could, 75% of my schools waitlisted me, 1 reaches and 1 safety rejected me and 2 other safeties accepted me.

Jkess

New

Post by Jkess » Wed May 06, 2009 2:12 pm

Does anyone know if your status has to change to "Decision Rendered" in order to get an acceptance/rejection/waitlist? Or could it still say complete and there is already a letter in the mail :(?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sapereaude2012

New

Post by sapereaude2012 » Wed May 06, 2009 2:19 pm

So I haven't ever been held for further review and I received that decision extension e-mail. I am wondering about the mailing that went out on 4/30. I would imagine it's the same thing as the e-mail just in print, but if they really mailed it on 4/30 it should have gotten here by now. I live in KS and usually mail takes 2 days to get from TX to KS or vice versa. Has anybody actually received the mailing yet?

soccerchick47

New

Post by soccerchick47 » Wed May 06, 2009 2:22 pm

sapereaude2012 wrote:So I haven't ever been held for further review and I received that decision extension e-mail. I am wondering about the mailing that went out on 4/30. I would imagine it's the same thing as the e-mail just in print, but if they really mailed it on 4/30 it should have gotten here by now. I live in KS and usually mail takes 2 days to get from TX to KS or vice versa. Has anybody actually received the mailing yet?

There is no actual mailing, that was just a note in your file showing that you received the email. At least that's what someone in admissions told me.

dgippoli

New

Post by dgippoli » Wed May 06, 2009 2:28 pm

Got rejection yesterday. I was changed to decision rendered on 4/30. Waiting on Texas Wesleyan, UofH. In at St. Mary's already.

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Wed May 06, 2009 2:32 pm

dgippoli wrote:Got rejection yesterday. I was changed to decision rendered on 4/30. Waiting on Texas Wesleyan, UofH. In at St. Mary's already.
GL with the rest of your cycle.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pammons

New

Post by pammons » Wed May 06, 2009 2:38 pm

Texas Wesleyan --$30,000 scholarship and wanna stay in Dfw

smubound

New

Post by smubound » Wed May 06, 2009 2:50 pm

For those of you still waiting, what is your index and does it mean much?

soccerchick47

New

Post by soccerchick47 » Wed May 06, 2009 2:52 pm

smubound wrote:For those of you still waiting, what is your index and does it mean much?

Can someone post how to find their index for SMU?

bill51

New

Post by bill51 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:05 pm

smiley26 wrote: Here is my question...where will everyone be attending if they DON'T get into SMU?
J-O-B for me. Reapply next cycle. Great employment prospects considering the state of things ........

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Wed May 06, 2009 3:15 pm

My index is a 3.1 as well

smiley26

New

Post by smiley26 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:17 pm

3.2 for me (not sure what it means either)

you find the index on lawschoolnumbers.com via your profile

JD2008

New

Post by JD2008 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Well if some of you guys do in fact get WLed and would go to SMU if you got off that WL, I recommend that you start drafting a good LOCI now. If you are still in undergrad and your GPA is going up in your last semester, this is a perfect "excuse" to submit that LOCI and an updated transcript. While LSAT scores and GPAs are important, schools still want to have a diverse class (whether its race, background, gender, home state, etc).

In the beginning of the WL cycle, law schools will try and fill empty seats with canidates who have similar profiles to the people they previously accepted and who ultimately rejected their acceptance. For example, if there was a female non-URM from the west coast with a 162 LSAT and a 3.4 GPA that was a musician and 2-years out of college who rejected her acceptance to SMU Law, the admissions folks are probably going to send an acceptance to someone with similar credentials (even if there is someone on the WL with a 165 LSAT, 3.3GPA and is a TX resident straight from undergrad).

Later on in the WL cycle, law schools will be focusing on likelihood of attendance and minimal acceptable numbers. If you unequivocally state that you will attend SMU no matter what and if you live near SMU or can convince them that you can move at a moment's notice, you will have a stronger chance at getting in (provided that your #s aren't so bad as to affect the school's GPA/LSAT combo). While there is no exact science to this process, and law schools are notoriously unpredictable when it comes to WLs, you can help your situation a bit if you are genuinely interested in attending and are smart with your communications with whatever law school you are interested in (you just gotta find that balance between stalking and giving them enough attention to demonstrate your actual interest). Schedule a meet and greet with the admissions folks during the summer; research the school and write about something else that interests you about SMU (like its clinic program, the number of adjunct professors who are partners of big law firms and judges, its specialized law journals in International Law, Computer Law, or Aviation Law, the ability to take classes in the evening even if you are a full-time day student, the diverse classes offered, the high marks the school received from its students for "Law School Satisfication" - Highest in the state, etc.) Good luck to those still waiting...where ever you ultimately decide to go to law school.

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Wed May 06, 2009 4:24 pm

I'll be at Pepperdine. At least I'll have the beach if SMU doesn't pull through for me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”