Anybody heard back from SMU? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nontradintexas

Bronze

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Post by nontradintexas » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:55 pm

Oh yeah, sorry. Didn't see it the first time around...

okayplayersmu

New

Post by okayplayersmu » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:11 pm

Glad to see that people are excited about coming to SMU. If I may (and I know no one asked), but as a current student (3rd year evening), I think I can address some questions I have read here.

SMU is NOTORIOUSLY slow for sending out notifications, I heard a month after their "deadline," I have one friend who got in the week before orientation, and another who got in a day AFTER orientation started (he was actually going to Texas Weslyan at the time, dropped there, and made the move). So it is possible that some will hear really late. It should be noted that both lived in Dallas which may have made them candidates for these late fill spots (as the school was trying to make sure they had a full class)

Grading on to law review is top 10% (there are secondary journals with lower cutoffs).

At least for my class, top 30% is NOT a pass to big law. I know of at least three people on law review (who graded on) that did not get an offer through OCI. It's very tight right now, but in 2-3 years, things may get better. So for the person that wants to work in Dallas, I would still go to Texas if I were you. I really like it here, but Texas will likely give you more options in the future.

For those considering it, the evening program is gaining some pub around town - but I think it is more of a byproduct of the fact that firms can find more mature/work experienced people than anything else. I have friends that are going to all of the major firms in Dallas (Weil, Gibson Dunn, V&E, Jones Day, Thompson Knight, etc., etc.). That being said, the offers have been limited to Dallas, but I don't know of anyone trying to leave (most of the people in my circle are married, jobs, family, etc.)

As far as classes for part-time, your first year is all night, second year half night, and everything else, you can take whenever you want, you don't need "permission" to take classes during the day. In fact, many fulltime students take classes at night and vice-versa. The only caveat is that if a class is given during both the day AND night for a semester, fulltime students get registration priority for the day, and part-time at night. For instance, if a day student wanted to take Evidence at night, and it is also offered during the day, s/he will have to wait until after all of the night students have had a chance to register before they can register for that class.

I hope that helps...

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:13 pm

^^ Thanks for the great insight!

Alison585

New

Post by Alison585 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:02 pm

okayplayersmu wrote:Glad to see that people are excited about coming to SMU. If I may (and I know no one asked), but as a current student (3rd year evening), I think I can address some questions I have read here.

SMU is NOTORIOUSLY slow for sending out notifications, I heard a month after their "deadline," I have one friend who got in the week before orientation, and another who got in a day AFTER orientation started (he was actually going to Texas Weslyan at the time, dropped there, and made the move). So it is possible that some will hear really late. It should be noted that both lived in Dallas which may have made them candidates for these late fill spots (as the school was trying to make sure they had a full class)

Grading on to law review is top 10% (there are secondary journals with lower cutoffs).

At least for my class, top 30% is NOT a pass to big law. I know of at least three people on law review (who graded on) that did not get an offer through OCI. It's very tight right now, but in 2-3 years, things may get better. So for the person that wants to work in Dallas, I would still go to Texas if I were you. I really like it here, but Texas will likely give you more options in the future.

For those considering it, the evening program is gaining some pub around town - but I think it is more of a byproduct of the fact that firms can find more mature/work experienced people than anything else. I have friends that are going to all of the major firms in Dallas (Weil, Gibson Dunn, V&E, Jones Day, Thompson Knight, etc., etc.). That being said, the offers have been limited to Dallas, but I don't know of anyone trying to leave (most of the people in my circle are married, jobs, family, etc.)

As far as classes for part-time, your first year is all night, second year half night, and everything else, you can take whenever you want, you don't need "permission" to take classes during the day. In fact, many fulltime students take classes at night and vice-versa. The only caveat is that if a class is given during both the day AND night for a semester, fulltime students get registration priority for the day, and part-time at night. For instance, if a day student wanted to take Evidence at night, and it is also offered during the day, s/he will have to wait until after all of the night students have had a chance to register before they can register for that class.

I hope that helps...
Thank you for the info! Since you were in the PT program did you have internships your 1L or 2L summer? Are you planning on doing anything this summer, or are you currently employed and will continue working where you are?

How do the PT students do compared to the FT students in term of job placement, internships, getting on law review, grades, ect?

With the PT program when do student receive offers of where they will work when the graduate? Do most of them get an internship during their 3L summer and get an offer there?

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:04 pm

Great questions Alison585 ... I am very interested to hear as well ...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:11 pm

chadwick218 wrote:Great questions Alison585 ... I am very interested to hear as well ...
+1

SMU please call me!! :evil: :evil:

Rachyk

New

Post by Rachyk » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:17 am

Has anybody heard anything new over the past couple of days?

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:41 am

I know the EA Deposit Deadline was 4/1; was the Regular decision 4/1 or a different date? I know when I spoke with the Admissions Officer she stated they were having a 'strong response for deposits', so we might have to wait and see how many deposits are rolling in.

But it looks all quiet on the Western Front for April thus far. Which means...into the breach boys! into the breach!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:37 am

So another SMU Friday is upon us ... odds on anyone actually hearing back today?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:43 am

Depends how Methodist SMU feels like being on this Good Friday, I suppose. I'm assuming no calls will go out, but my phone is staying with me all day regardless :-P.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:59 am

BigA ... congrats on the Fordham acceptance ... is that new?

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:05 pm

About 2 weeks old; actually withdrew already. But thanks!

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:16 pm

chadwick218 wrote:I have put a seat deposit down at another school, but I think that my chances of actually attending SMU are very slim at this point in time ... even if admitted, I doubt that there will be any significant scholarship dollars remaining. I've debated withdrawing, but figured that since I paid my $70, I might as well find out the results.
+1

SMU was my top choice going into the whole application process, and I thought I had a decent shot. I really want to work in Texas, but I think I'll be heading out of state for law school (SMU is the only place I applied in Texas). I guess I would consider it if I received a scholarship very soon, but I'm probably going to sign a lease by the end of April. Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear anything from them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:48 pm

This silence is deafening. Vibrate phone! VIBRATE!

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:39 pm

BigAristotle wrote:This silence is deafening. Vibrate phone! VIBRATE!
+ f-ing 1 !!!!!

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:49 pm

SMU you're breakin my heart...

elin

New

Post by elin » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:56 am

Hi guys, I need help, and I know I'm leaving this until late, but I'm trying to decide between SMU and U of H. My family is from Houston, I know I want to eventually practice in Houston, but they haven't offered me any scholarships and don't reply to my emails or inquiries about anything, from scholarships to career services info. Plus the campus is a mess. SMU, on the other hand, offered me $24,000. So factoring in the scholarship and even with U of H's cheap tuition rate, SMU would still be the better financial move, right? I'm really torn as to where to go.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:06 pm

Elin, is that $24,000 from SMU per year? I am just trying to understand the difference in costs given UoH's very low tuition. Also be sure to factor in the somewhat higher costs of living in and around SMU.

SMU might carry more prestige, but UofH will potentially place better in Houston.

If costs are important, go to the least expensive option. If aesthetics and a traditional university environment are important to you, attend SMU.

elin

New

Post by elin » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:11 pm

Yes, that is per year and renewable on good standing.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:21 pm

I vote SMU then ... I would suggest that you contact the Dean of Admissions at U of H, but it seems as though you have done so, but to no aaesthetics. Congrats!

elin

New

Post by elin » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:24 pm

Thanks Chadwick. I think SMU will be cheaper, but I'm just wondering if I can get back to Houston eventually. I know it will be harder.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:41 pm

elin wrote:Thanks Chadwick. I think SMU will be cheaper, but I'm just wondering if I can get back to Houston eventually. I know it will be harder.
It seems pretty close either way. My advice would be to think about what areas of law you might be interested pursuing, and then figure out if there is a significant different between SMU and UH in those areas. Off the top of my head I know that SMU= great for business/corporate law and UH= great for healthcare and energy law.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:55 pm

Elin- U of H will have the clear advantage in Houston; just as SMU will in Dallas. SMU costs 48-50 with living expenses, UH about 30-33. So you're looking at a difference of about 5-8k/year. SMU & University Park is far and away the prettier/more aesthetic pleasing than U of H; but U of H is going to open more doors in Houston than SMU will, for a fairly even COA.

pammons

New

Post by pammons » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:02 pm

I agree with what Eamon, one of the basics of choosing a school is comparing its strengths to your own. If you like the environment of Dallas, the campus, the strength of a particular department (business/corporate) then go to SMU. I am sure you'd still be able to get internships and get in touch with the networking pool down in Houston. But obviously there are reasons why you want to work in Houston, are those same reasons going to make it easier for you to do well in Law School? Is there something more than prestige of your school that's going to help make that drive from DFW to Houston any easier?

+1 to BigA on the whole economics aspect of it all.. I just intend to be in debt up to my ears anyways.

elin

New

Post by elin » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:59 pm

Thanks for all of the advice, guys. The reason Houston is in the running is my family is all located in Houston and I love the city. On the other hand, SMU's scholarship is hard to turn down, and it seems like a school on the upward trajectory in terms of ranking, reputation, and alumni. I have much to think about between now and tomorrow when the deposit it due.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”