Anybody heard back from SMU? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tennisgirl87

New

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Post by tennisgirl87 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

i know this is going to seem like a strange question... but for those who have received scholarship offers in the mail, did they come in a large envelope like the admission packet did or did they come in a smaller standard letter size envelope?

Thanks!

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:19 pm

Small white envelope.

jadedV

New

Post by jadedV » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:38 pm

Got the Dean's Scholarship as well!

cachua

New

Post by cachua » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:45 pm

nontradintexas wrote:
jtw1386 wrote:Just my scholarship today in the mail too. Its the Dean's Scholarhsip.

+1 - I'm in the Austin area.

I like the fact that the only stipulation for renewal is that I remain "in good standing".

Does anyone know if the Hatton Sumner is the only full-tuition they give?

Also, anyone have insight on negotiating scholarships with SMU? I've read other threads about it, but didn't know if anyone had heard/knew someone who has done it with SMU.

if you don't mind, how much is the dean's scholarship? at baylor, the dean's scholarship is full tuition but it doesn't sound that way at smu

and CONGRATS!

jtw1386

New

Post by jtw1386 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:58 pm

I'm not sure what everyone else's is, but my Dean's Scholarship was $10,000 per year, and is renewed as long as you are in good standing with the university. I don't know if there are different amounts for the Dean's Scholarship, but that is mine. What about everyone else?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jadedV

New

Post by jadedV » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:19 pm

Mine is higher, so they must all be different amounts.

screech

New

Post by screech » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:47 pm

12k a year PT program.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:10 am

Just got my new LSAT retake score back and it was a 159. I have a 3.66 GPA, do you guys think that I have a legit shot at SMU (I applied FT and PT)?

It's where I really wanna go bc I'm from Dallas...

tennisgirl87

New

Post by tennisgirl87 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:19 pm

Oasis... I think you have an extremely good chance of getting into the PT program. good luck... i know the wait is difficult. Possibly FT too, but I am not sure.

has anyone that was accepted on the Jan 30th date still not received any scholarship information? I have not received anything yet, and I am nervous that this means that I might not be getting scholarship at all. I am just wondering if they sent out all of the scholarship info out at once or if it is occuring in waves. If mine was mailed out the same day as the intial group though, I am sure it would have at least showed up by today.

this wait is just a killer...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bcb1986

New

Post by bcb1986 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:25 pm

tennisgirl87 wrote:Oasis... I think you have an extremely good chance of getting into the PT program. good luck... i know the wait is difficult. Possibly FT too, but I am not sure.

has anyone that was accepted on the Jan 30th date still not received any scholarship information? I have not received anything yet, and I am nervous that this means that I might not be getting scholarship at all. I am just wondering if they sent out all of the scholarship info out at once or if it is occuring in waves. If mine was mailed out the same day as the intial group though, I am sure it would have at least showed up by today.

I'm in that batch. I e-mailed and asked if no notification = no scholarship, and they confirmed that I was not awarded any $.

Does anyone know if you can grade into scholarship money after your first year at SMU?

Fortunately, a private org is funding 1/2 of my law school, so I'm not worried, but I'd love to have received something or grade into some after the first year.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:32 pm

Thanks for the insights...I was "held for further review" when I applied ED with my lower (154), has anyone in the "held for further review" group heard back from them since they got that status update? Mine was 1/29/09

screech

New

Post by screech » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:15 pm

OasisFan wrote:Just got my new LSAT retake score back and it was a 159. I have a 3.66 GPA, do you guys think that I have a legit shot at SMU (I applied FT and PT)?

It's where I really wanna go bc I'm from Dallas...

Congrats on the raised score! I am a 159/3.93 and I got into the part time (applied to both). Best of luck!

tennisgirl87

New

Post by tennisgirl87 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:44 pm

bcb1986 wrote:
tennisgirl87 wrote:Oasis... I think you have an extremely good chance of getting into the PT program. good luck... i know the wait is difficult. Possibly FT too, but I am not sure.

I'm in that batch. I e-mailed and asked if no notification = no scholarship, and they confirmed that I was not awarded any $.

Does anyone know if you can grade into scholarship money after your first year at SMU?

Fortunately, a private org is funding 1/2 of my law school, so I'm not worried, but I'd love to have received something or grade into some after the first year.
wow.. that is terribly depressing news, especially considering i have no other form of private scholarship... but i do appreciate the info! I am very frustrated right now because they initially said 3 weeks, and it's been almost 5!

Sorry that I can't answer your other question... I am really not sure if you can grade into more scholarship money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

txelle

New

Post by txelle » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:29 pm

OasisFan wrote:Thanks for the insights...I was "held for further review" when I applied ED with my lower (154), has anyone in the "held for further review" group heard back from them since they got that status update? Mine was 1/29/09

Nope mine still says "held for further review."

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:36 pm

txelle wrote:
OasisFan wrote:Thanks for the insights...I was "held for further review" when I applied ED with my lower (154), has anyone in the "held for further review" group heard back from them since they got that status update? Mine was 1/29/09

i'm right there with y'all. did y'all apply FT and PT? I only did FT, but am now thinking that may have been a mistake. I'm 159 with 3.75, but excellent recs and Dallas ties.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:39 pm

masondixon wrote:
txelle wrote:

i'm right there with y'all. did y'all apply FT and PT? I only did FT, but am now thinking that may have been a mistake. I'm 159 with 3.75, but excellent recs and Dallas ties.
It's never too late to email them and ask to switch your application (that's what I did bc I originally applied only to PT)

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:18 pm

Anyone else heard back on scholarship offers or updates?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smiley26

New

Post by smiley26 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:00 pm

Been almost a week and a half since any decisions have been made...I am starting to feel restless!

agr0n9

New

Post by agr0n9 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:41 pm

Dean's Scholarship. PT 7k per year

kormybear

New

Post by kormybear » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:19 pm

I went down to Dallas for a visit last Thursday. SMU is awesome. I toured on Monday, and came back that night. When I got my mail, there was a Dean's Scholarship letter for 15k/ year. It was postmarked 2/26/09.

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:32 am

I've seen (or heard) amounts of 7k, 10k, 12k, 15k, and 20k per year with no class rankings or percentage requirements. Either those getting more money are not talking about it, or SMU is just not giving out as much scholly money this year. Makes sense with the economy. I just wish I would've started this process a year or two earlier... :?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DallasMustang

New

Post by DallasMustang » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:07 am

I got a Dean's scholarship for 30k/year. Full-time. Still hoping for HS

kp1981

New

Post by kp1981 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:05 pm

DallasMustang, WOW, great scholarship offer! What were your numbers?

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:06 pm

Congrats, Dallas Mustang! I haven't heard from anybody who has received a HS call to set up an interview, so no worries on missing that boat just yet. They've still got some time to set all that up...

DallasMustang

New

Post by DallasMustang » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:18 pm

Thanks! 164/3.8 I'm so impatient when it comes to these things. I didn't think I wanted to stay at SMU for three more years, but the scholly is tempting. I'm pretty sure the HS would seal the deal.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”