Anybody heard back from SMU? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jtw1386

New

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Post by jtw1386 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:01 pm

For those of you who got a call yesterday, what did or does it say at the top of the page?

VandyCandy

New

Post by VandyCandy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:12 pm

Just got the call! I'm in!

My status checker still says "complete."

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:16 pm

jtw1386 wrote:For those of you who got a call yesterday, what did or does it say at the top of the page?

The top of my page hasn't changed. There is no message that has been referenced by previous posts. (You may notice that your current status date has changed. This is either because a portion of your file has been updated or the initial review of your file has been completed. Nither of these situations change your early, regular, or late decision standing. We are unable to release decisions by phone or email. All final decisions will be mailed.)

The only change is I now show "decision rendered" with today's date.

ellewoods12

New

Post by ellewoods12 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:19 pm

I got the acceptance call yesteday afternoon. I was on a plane, but they called sometime between 3 and 5.

Online, it still says file complete with the date of 1-27.

I'm sure a lot of yall will get in! Good luck!

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:20 pm

DMNeece - happy birthday! I hope you get a great acceptance to SMU for your present.

My status also changed to Decision Rendered with today's date - but I don't have any text at the top of the screen. The status and the date are the only things that have been updated. I can tell you it still said Application Complete with the date of the 28th as recently as this morning at 1:00 a.m.

I doubt they will be calling all accepted ED applicants today, although I'm not sure how many names would be on that list. If it's not a huge number, it could happen. I just have a feeling that they call their "top prospects" that may be considering other schools or programs. You know, the old Southern touch of being personal to set SMU apart in the applicant's eyes. It works.

I'm just trying to stay busy on other things and not think about it too much. Easier said than done, however... :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:23 pm

VandyCandy wrote:Just got the call! I'm in!

My status checker still says "complete."
CONGRATS!! With a 166 and a 3.9 you'll probably get a generous scholly offer as well. Very nice. Congrats again!!

screech

New

Post by screech » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:27 pm

DallasJosh wrote:DMNeece - happy birthday! I hope you get a great acceptance to SMU for your present.

My status also changed to Decision Rendered with today's date - but I don't have any text at the top of the screen. The status and the date are the only things that have been updated. I can tell you it still said Application Complete with the date of the 28th as recently as this morning at 1:00 a.m.

I doubt they will be calling all accepted ED applicants today, although I'm not sure how many names would be on that list. If it's not a huge number, it could happen. I just have a feeling that they call their "top prospects" that may be considering other schools or programs. You know, the old Southern touch of being personal to set SMU apart in the applicant's eyes. It works.

I'm just trying to stay busy on other things and not think about it too much. Easier said than done, however... :wink:
Go hold your new baby and give mom a break. That will keep you busy and her happy. :) But keep the phone nearby!

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:31 pm

screech wrote:Go hold your new baby and give mom a break. That will keep you busy and her happy. :) But keep the phone nearby!
Been doing that a LOT! Plus night feedings when I can. Something very serene and peaceful about holding a sleeping baby. Good advice! Thank you... :D

jmoc2009

New

Post by jmoc2009 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:02 pm

screech wrote:
OasisFan wrote:
screech wrote:
jmoc2009 wrote:mine still says complete as of 1/28 (PT), but i did get this notice at the top of the page:

You may notice that your current status date has changed. This is either because a portion of your file has been updated or the initial review of your file has been completed. Nither of these situations change your early, regular, or late decision standing. We are unable to release decisions by phone or email. All final decisions will be mailed.
+1
care to share #'s? I applied FT/PT (then changed it only to PT) and am held for further review...

mine has this on the top of the page:
"Your current status has changed to "Held for Further Review." Although your application has been reviewed, we have deferred making a final decision until we are able to review at least some of the regular decision applications. Your file will go through another review cycle later this Spring and you will be notified of a final decision by the end of April. We are unable to release decisions by phone or email. All final decisions will be mailed. "
159/3.93 FT&PT
160/3.0 pretty good softs (according to yours truly!) PT only

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bcb1986

New

Post by bcb1986 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:03 pm

IN! Full time
Phone call at 1:00 from the guy who gave me my tour when I visited.
Packet already mailed-should receive next week.
App sent to scholarship committee - will hear back from them in 3-4 weeks.

screech

New

Post by screech » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:10 pm

bcb1986 wrote:IN! Full time
Congrats!
Did you apply to both FT and PT ?

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:12 pm

bcb1986 - CONGRATS!

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:21 pm

bcb1986 wrote:IN! Full time
Wait a second, I just re-read your post. So, the guy who gave you a tour of the campus (presumably a 2L or 3L) called, and not one of the adcomms? I assumed that it would be a staff member that called...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bcb1986

New

Post by bcb1986 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:25 pm

Thanks so much!
Yeah, he's a 3L. (But I do know that he is actually employed by admissions)
And I applied only to FT.
DallasJosh - I'm hoping you get a phone call pronto!
Best of luck to all!

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:37 pm

That makes more sense. When I toured the campus I was shown around by a sloppily dressed, unshaven 1L and it was a bit weird for me to picture him calling to congratulate applicants. Thanks for the well wishes - I appreciate any good thoughts I can get at this point. :D

cotesean

New

Post by cotesean » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:41 pm

Got the call around noon today! Now the wait for the scholarship offer...

Alison585

New

Post by Alison585 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:43 pm

Hey Ive been following this post. I applied to SMU for both PT and FT for regular decision.

Several have mentioned taking a tour of the campus. I live in Dallas and have visited SMU previously (not for law school) so it didnt occur to me to schedule a tour.

When you went on the tour what did you do? How did you arrange one?

I'm wondernig if I should go on a tour now.....I thought ppl only did once admitted....any insight please? Does it look better on an applicant if they do go on the tour?

Thank you!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:46 pm

My tour lasted about 20 minutes. A student worker just walked us around the 4 buildings, showed us the rooms our first year classes would be in and that was about it. I don't think it helps or hurts your application to go or not to go. Just call the admissions office to set up a date/time that works for you to visit.

bcb1986

New

Post by bcb1986 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:00 pm

I went and sat in on a class, met with an admissions counselor for about 10 minutes, and then got a tour. They said they would "make a note on my file" - looks like the note didn't hurt.

jmoc2009

New

Post by jmoc2009 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:05 pm

bcb1986 wrote:I went and sat in on a class, met with an admissions counselor for about 10 minutes, and then got a tour. They said they would "make a note on my file" - looks like the note didn't hurt.

it shows interest if you go. if you are debating between two similar files, i think human nature is to go with the known rather than the unknown. you should go if you have the time!

DallasJosh

New

Post by DallasJosh » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:14 pm

Just got a voicemail on my cell from Justin with the SMU admissions office. Put on your dancing shoes, cause DallasJosh has been accepted! Praise. The. Lord.

I think I will wait a few days before I even start thinking about the scholarship offers, though. Need some time to be excited about the admission without worrying over money!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jmoc2009

New

Post by jmoc2009 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:15 pm

DallasJosh wrote:Just got a voicemail on my cell from Justin with the SMU admissions office. Put on your dancing shoes, cause DallasJosh has been accepted! Praise. The. Lord.

I think I will wait a few days before I even start thinking about the scholarship offers, though. Need some time to be excited about the admission without worrying over money!

hooooooooooray!!!! congrats!

screech

New

Post by screech » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:16 pm

CONGRATULATIONS DALLAS JOSH! I'M DANCING!!! WOO WOO! SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! AND YOUR FAM!!!!

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:17 pm

DallasJosh wrote:Just got a voicemail on my cell from Justin with the SMU admissions office. Put on your dancing shoes, cause DallasJosh has been accepted! Praise. The. Lord.

:D :D :D CONGRATS!!!!

You are absolutely correct - bask in your acceptance, you've got 3 years to worry about money!

bcb1986

New

Post by bcb1986 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:18 pm

Congrats!!!
You deserve it!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”