Anybody heard back from SMU? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rachel.almaraz

New

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Post by rachel.almaraz » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:55 pm

Need some advice:

After visiting SMU on Wednesday I have come to the realization that this is the only law school I 100% want to go to, but I'm still stuck on the wait list. My distant second choice is American which is about 1,600 miles away from my home. Leaving my single mother who is not in the best of health is in no way ideal. My numbers are a 3.61/151 which is nowhere near some of y'all's numbers on this thread who are on the wait list as well. Is waiting a year while I retake the LSAT and get some more job experience a good or bad idea? I know I can improve on my score since I will not be loaded down with internships, thesis writing, and a job on top of it all.

What would you do?

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:57 pm

rachel.almaraz wrote:Need some advice:

After visiting SMU on Wednesday I have come to the realization that this is the only law school I 100% want to go to, but I'm still stuck on the wait list. My distant second choice is American which is about 1,600 miles away from my home. Leaving my single mother who is not in the best of health is in no way ideal. My numbers are a 3.61/151 which is nowhere near some of y'all's numbers on this thread who are on the wait list as well. Is waiting a year while I retake the LSAT and get some more job experience a good or bad idea? I know I can improve on my score since I will not be loaded down with internships, thesis writing, and a job on top of it all.

What would you do?
Rachel, have you tried calling SMU and speaking with someone more senior (not Maggie) in the office of admissions? Be sincere and share with them the exact same thing that you have shared with us. I think that you actually have a compelling case. I am pulling for you!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:58 pm

As for waiting a year, I think that it depends in how confident you are in your ability to raise your score.

rachel.almaraz

New

Post by rachel.almaraz » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:08 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
rachel.almaraz wrote:Need some advice:

What would you do?
Rachel, have you tried calling SMU and speaking with someone more senior (not Maggie) in the office of admissions? Be sincere and share with them the exact same thing that you have shared with us. I think that you actually have a compelling case. I am pulling for you!
Thanks! My pre-law advisor has been speaking to Virginia Keehan (Assistant Dean) about me which hopefully will help my case. I'll also be continuing to send LOCIs.

As for the confidence in raising my score, I have hit higher in PTs and believe that with more practice (especially in games) I can only do better. But as I said.....I'm still doing a lot of thinking =)

jadedV

New

Post by jadedV » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:28 pm

Rachel, have you applied for the PT program?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rachel.almaraz

New

Post by rachel.almaraz » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:45 pm

jadedV wrote:Rachel, have you applied for the PT program?
No, my application was for the FT program only. Oh hindsight.........

bevo321

New

Post by bevo321 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:05 pm

You can still change your application to FT and PT. My fiance changed to both after she got waitlisted and was accepted off the waitlist like 2 weeks ago.

jadedV

New

Post by jadedV » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:14 pm

bevo321 wrote:You can still change your application to FT and PT. My fiance changed to both after she got waitlisted and was accepted off the waitlist like 2 weeks ago.
I was definitely going to suggest that. Best wishes

rachel.almaraz

New

Post by rachel.almaraz » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:30 pm

jadedV wrote:
bevo321 wrote:You can still change your application to FT and PT. My fiance changed to both after she got waitlisted and was accepted off the waitlist like 2 weeks ago.
How do you go about changing from just FT to both? Contact office of admissions??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jadedV

New

Post by jadedV » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:37 pm

rachel.almaraz wrote:
jadedV wrote:
How do you go about changing from just FT to both? Contact office of admissions??
That's my suggestion

bevo321

New

Post by bevo321 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:31 am

Yeah just call them up, and I think they need a letter or email to document your request.

wakeforest

New

Post by wakeforest » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am

Has there been any movement on the waitlist? I have decided to go to another school if I can't get off SMU's waitlist.

limubai

New

Post by limubai » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:39 am

Ohio State and SMU law school, which is better? (for employment and transfer)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LSmit1723

New

Post by LSmit1723 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:08 pm

Although I was told there would be movement several weeks ago it seems that according to the Forum very few individuals (I've noted two for the part-time program) have been admitted. Is there anyone else out there that would like to share their recent admit status from the wait-list?

I just sent in my notice that I would like to be considered for the part-time program as well. Hopefully this process is just taking longer than anticipated. The alternative would be that they have already admitted the bulk of their applicants from the wait-list and these individuals aren't TLS'ers or LSN'ers!

Yes, I know I'm obsessive.

Please post any updates, thanks!

rachel.almaraz

New

Post by rachel.almaraz » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:20 pm

LSmit1723 wrote:Although I was told there would be movement several weeks ago it seems that according to the Forum very few individuals (I've noted two for the part-time program) have been admitted. Is there anyone else out there that would like to share their recent admit status from the wait-list?

I just sent in my notice that I would like to be considered for the part-time program as well. Hopefully this process is just taking longer than anticipated. The alternative would be that they have already admitted the bulk of their applicants from the wait-list and these individuals aren't TLS'ers or LSN'ers!

Yes, I know I'm obsessive.

Please post any updates, thanks!
Still nothing here...

But according to the admissions counselor that I met with last week, there shouldn't be any movement until next week if there is any movement at all. She said that their deposits have been strong for those admitted but they hope to take a few off of the wait list. No deadline for letting us know and, if admitted, we would be notified by a phone call. Hope that helps.

NE1410S

New

Post by NE1410S » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:51 pm

jadedV wrote:
bevo321 wrote:
You can still change your application to FT and PT. My fiance changed to both after she got waitlisted and was accepted off the waitlist like 2 weeks ago.

PT programs are truly for those students who have developed careers & can't afford the time for a full course load. Part of the reason their scores are lower is due to lack of time to dedicate to the LSAT. Many of those students also worked full-time through their undergraduate programs, thus the lower GPA.

In my opinion PT programs shouldn't be used by students soley looking to get into a better school. That takes away from those students that the programs are designed to serve & will ultimatley destroy the credibility of those programs.

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:55 pm

NE1410S wrote:jadedV wrote:
bevo321 wrote:

PT programs are truly for those students who have developed careers & can't afford the time for a full course load. Part of the reason their scores are lower is due to lack of time to dedicate to the LSAT. Many of those students also worked full-time through their undergraduate programs, thus the lower GPA.

In my opinion PT programs shouldn't be used by students soley looking to get into a better school. That takes away from those students that the programs are designed to serve & will ultimatley destroy the credibility of those programs.
Your opinion doesn't matter. If you are admitted and willing to pay tuition for the program, then you should take full advantage of the program. Law schools wouldn't admit students that would "destroy the credibility" of the program or school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:02 pm

bevo321 wrote:

That's asanine. Not 'dedicating' yourself to the LSAT for a degree that can cost over 200k in situations tells me those people don't have the full understanding of what type of work law school takes.

The ENTIRE reason PT programs had lower numbers were that prior to this year, USNWR did not have their numbers reported. This allowed schools to accept students with lower stats, increasing revenue because nearly all of these students would be paying sticker, due to the lack of merit aid. In all reality, it has nothing to do with what you named. Additionally, now that PT programs are included in the rankings of schools, schools are being a tad more stringent with numbers, as it effects the all-mighty USNWR ranking.

Thanks for playing though.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:03 pm

Hook 'Em wrote:
bevo321 wrote:

Your opinion doesn't matter. If you are admitted and willing to pay tuition for the program, then you should take full advantage of the program. Law schools wouldn't admit students that would "destroy the credibility" of the program or school.
Hook'em beat me to the punch :(.

+1

NE1410S

New

Post by NE1410S » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:19 pm

Hook 'Em wrote:
bevo321 wrote:

You're right. It's my opinion & nothing more. Sorry if it hits a note, but anyone attending a PT program needs to be prepared to hear this. Since people are beeing told to apply to PT programs on this message board, they should have a little more information to consider before making a rash decision.

One a personal note, I don't like the fact that some law schools advertise PT programs as a way for career professionals to obtain a law degree, when that's not really more about the money. Also, some part time programs somewhat struggle for credibility. This is one of the reasons for the big uproar in the US News rankings including PT rankings this year. It's also a question you have to be prepared to answer when law firms ask you why you went to a PT program while looking at your transcripts.

In truth, I don't blame anyone for taking advantage of the system (while working within the rules). That's what we, as lawyers, will be doing for out clients. There are several Top 20 schools I would attend on a part-time basis given the chance, but this doesn't change my opinion. SMU does seem to have a great PT program.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:28 pm

NE1410S wrote:
Hook 'Em wrote:
bevo321 wrote:

You're right. It's my opinion & nothing more. Sorry if it hits a note, but anyone attending a PT program needs to be prepared to hear this. Since people are beeing told to apply to PT programs on this message board, they should have a little more information to consider before making a rash decision.

One a personal note, I don't like the fact that some law schools advertise PT programs as a way for career professionals to obtain a law degree, when that's not really more about the money. Also, some part time programs somewhat struggle for credibility. This is one of the reasons for the big uproar in the US News rankings including PT rankings this year. It's also a question you have to be prepared to answer when law firms ask you why you went to a PT program while looking at your transcripts.

In truth, I don't blame anyone for taking advantage of the system (while working within the rules). That's what we, as lawyers, will be doing for out clients. There are several Top 20 schools I would attend on a part-time basis given the chance, but this doesn't change my opinion. SMU does seem to have a great PT program.
No, they don't need to be prepared to hear that, because its just flat our wrong. It doesn't say Georgetown Juris Doctorate (Part-Time) on the degree, it just says Georgetown. Law firms look at class rank and the name on the degree, plus work experience. If any PT programs suffer from credibility it is simply because the SCHOOL suffers, being a lower ranked but still high priced school. Additionally, most the people you are pointing out as the 'gamers of the system' graduate in 3 years, not 4, because they take a few summer classes and would graduate in 3 years. It doesn' take them any longer in that situation, and after the 1st year, they share there classes with FT and other PTers as well. Let me repeat that for emphasis: YOU TAKE THE SAME CLASSES IN PT & FT. No law firm is going to look upon a PTer with a frown, why? Because if you graduate #1 in your class, they want to hire you for that, not because you gamed yourself into PT and stole a spot from an honest 'working' professional.

I'm glad your 'opinion' and 'truth' is based on experience and fact, instead of speculation. Oh wait, it isn't. I'm sure you'll return with anecdotal evidence that of course, 100% supports your position.

Also, go read over all the posts I've made over the past year on this site, and you'll never see me rip anyone. The fact that you're appearing as so cockself assured, feeding a bunch of bullshit answers with absolutely no knowledge is anything but helpful.

/rant off

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NE1410S

New

Post by NE1410S » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:40 pm

I'm not trying to attack anyone or part-time programs, just trying to give a new viewpoint for those considering part-time. I shouldn't have expressed my personal feelings that PT programs should be used for mainly for working professionals as they are advertised.

It was actually an admissions officer that told me law firms can see if you went part-time by looking at your transcript. True, it doesn't say "Part-Time," but it does show a reduced schedule of classes. I never said it would affect job prospects, I simply meant you should be prepared to discuss it during interview. If you're a working professional, this is an easy answer. Again, my opinion. Telling people to be prepared isn't a bad thing.

I think part-time is a great way to go. In fact, that was my orinal plan before taking the full-time plunge. This is why I have such strong opinions on the subject. I don't mean to come across as if I feel I know everything on this subject (I don't), but I don't beleive anyone else on here knows everything about this subject either. This is why I shared my thoughts. Law school will be full of them.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:58 am

+1 Big A (you have always been one of voices on this site that I respect the most)

NE1410S

New

Post by NE1410S » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:21 pm

In a month or so most reading these posts won't even have time to care about this stupid message board anymore. Good luck everyone!!!!

BigA - I think I remember you saying you're heading to U of H. It seemed like a great city & fun school, plus it feeds into a really strong job market (all at a fraction of what most schools cost).

bevo321

New

Post by bevo321 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:44 pm

If SMU or any other law school only wanted the PT program to be used for 'working professionals' then they wouldn't allow students right out of college to apply for the PT program.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”