Anybody heard back from SMU? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Rachyk

New

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Post by Rachyk » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:37 am

So did anyone get accepted this week?

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:46 am

Looking over previous cycles; seems SMU tends to go quiet until the final 10 days of April; where they send out decisions and wait list everyone on May 1st.

cachua

New

Post by cachua » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:25 pm

I withdrew from SMU today with a $20K scholly. Hope it goes to someone here!

Shockdaddy325

New

Post by Shockdaddy325 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:32 pm

Still waiting to get burned by them. My numbers are PT material this year, where I might have had a puncher's chance in other cycles.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:16 pm

BigA ... have you had your interview with SMU or is that next week? Just curious if you might have some good updates for us ... granted, I didn't apply until mid-December, but this is the longest that I have had to wait for any school (with the exception of those that I applied to in mid-Feb). I applied to Baylor on 2/28 and received notification of a full scholarship on 3/20 ... I am guessing that folks like us just aren't cut out for a school like SMU :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:33 pm

I fly down on Wednesday, the 1st. My numbers should make me a fairly decent in; it was my other stuff on my app, which when I discussed with Dean Keehan, she recommended I come down for an interview. I'll post an update while I'm puttering around in the aeroport.

I've been complete at SMU since about Oct. 15th. I sent out a 2nd round of apps in late Jan, and have heard back from all those schools except 1 already. What sucks is the deposits on the 15th, its a few hundred bucks while waiting for a decision :(.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:40 pm

LSN Showed someone getting in via phone call yesterday...are they still notifying people?

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:56 pm

Interesting ... I always thought that they made it a point (per their website) that people would not be contacted via email / phone, but after I review this thread as well as LSN, I appear to be incorrect.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:00 pm

chadwick218 wrote:Interesting ... I always thought that they made it a point (per their website) that people would not be contacted via email / phone, but after I review this thread as well as LSN, I appear to be incorrect.
I understood it as us not not calling to ask about our decisions via phone or email, they say that mainly as a deterrent to prevent hundreds of people from calling everyday to ask if they got in yet...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

smiley26

New

Post by smiley26 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:57 am

I am still anxiously waiting...I have actually decided to go if that accept me which makes me even more nervous :|

lucyinthesky

New

Post by lucyinthesky » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:30 am

OasisFan wrote:LSN Showed someone getting in via phone call yesterday...are they still notifying people?

I was probably the one you saw who got in via phone call on Friday, unless there were others as well. 157/3.85/non-URM for FT. But right before that, my status was still at "application completel" from mid-January. So to the others who are still waiting... don't give up just yet.
Last edited by lucyinthesky on Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

jadedV

New

Post by jadedV » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:05 am

Best wishes to all still waiting. Hopefully you'll hear something this week as people start sending in their deposits or withdrawals.

Mailing in my deposit tomorrow... Can't believe this is it!

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:30 pm

the status checker is buggin out for me...does it work for anyone else???

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shockdaddy325

New

Post by Shockdaddy325 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:43 pm

OasisFan wrote:the status checker is buggin out for me...does it work for anyone else???
I wish it would do something other than sit there.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:59 pm

lucyinthesky wrote:
OasisFan wrote:LSN Showed someone getting in via phone call yesterday...are they still notifying people?

I was probably the one you saw who got in via phone call on Friday, unless there were others as well. 157/3.85/non-URM for FT. But right before that, my status was still at "application completel" from mid-January. So to the others who are still waiting... don't give up just yet.
Lucyinthesky, for all of us obsessive compulsive “status checker” chekers, can you tell us if your status checker has changed from Friday’s phone call? By the way, congrats!

lucyinthesky

New

Post by lucyinthesky » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:01 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
lucyinthesky wrote:

Lucyinthesky, for all of us obsessive compulsive “status checker” chekers, can you tell us if your status checker has changed from Friday’s phone call? By the way, congrats!
Yes, I believe it went straight from "application complete" to "decision rendered" on Friday.
And thank you. Good luck to y'all!

Vandypepe

New

Post by Vandypepe » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:09 pm

In at Vandy and UT(exas)...nothing from SMU (which *was* the overall top choice) which went "complete" before my other apps. Even if I were to get in at this point, I'm so jaded it'd be the most fun I ever had telling someone, "No, thanks!"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:51 pm

Vandypepe wrote:In at Vandy and UT(exas)...nothing from SMU (which *was* the overall top choice) which went "complete" before my other apps. Even if I were to get in at this point, I'm so jaded it'd be the most fun I ever had telling someone, "No, thanks!"
Yup SMU is not showing any love to me right now either...it's killin my law school buzz!

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:40 pm

smiley26 wrote:I am still anxiously waiting...I have actually decided to go if that accept me which makes me even more nervous :|
me too.

nychopeful

New

Post by nychopeful » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:44 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:
smiley26 wrote:I am still anxiously waiting...I have actually decided to go if that accept me which makes me even more nervous :|
me too.
This is my last "probable" shot at a great school out of state... which is what I want.

I got a fee waiver, but have heard nothing from them... do you think the fee waiver is any indication that I'm someone that they'd want??

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:34 pm

nychopeful wrote:
eamonbriggs08 wrote:
me too.
This is my last "probable" shot at a great school out of state... which is what I want.

I got a fee waiver, but have heard nothing from them... do you think the fee waiver is any indication that I'm someone that they'd want??
Your numbers still seem to be within their range ... plus, I would think that for SMU to take that next step, they need to go beyond being a just regional school (and to a great extent a somewhat local school) and attract and enroll great out-of-state talent ... best of luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:55 pm

is the status checker down for anyone else or is it just me?

willnumber85

New

Post by willnumber85 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:58 pm

Status checker was down for me too for a good while today. It is back up now though

Rachyk

New

Post by Rachyk » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:30 am

Has anybody seen any change with their status checker in the past week or so?

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:54 am

Rachyk wrote:Has anybody seen any change with their status checker in the past week or so?
Nope also the status checker appears to be down for me...what the hell is going on behind the doors of the Admissions Office???

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”