Anybody heard back from SMU? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Re: Anybody heard back from SMU?

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:33 pm

WEAK. I really really hope the FT class is not full yet, getting waitlisted at this point would really suck.

So if I can confirm with the group, everyone who was accepted today was evening only (apart from Ashley who could be either)? No one who applied to only the FT program was accepted today, correct?

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:34 pm

BigAristotle wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:
Hook 'Em wrote:In at SMU for the part-time program! Just received the phone call. They said that I should receive the packet this week, and scholarship info in 3-4 weeks. I'm so excited! Also, they mentioned that there will be a part-time ADD on May 21.

Same here ...
So chadwick, Baylor or SMU? ^.^
Yes chadwick, are you going to pick Ba6yl5or or S4M9U?

critten

New

Post by critten » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:17 pm

has there been a waitlist yet? Or only waiting for further review?

sapereaude2012

New

Post by sapereaude2012 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:08 pm

My status checker still hasn't changed since going complete. Please not another waitlist...

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:38 am

sapereaude2012 wrote:My status checker still hasn't changed since going complete. Please not another waitlist...
Sadly I think that they're about to ring the bell and call it a cycle...sucks for me because they were far and away (and still are) my #1

way to go SMU for ruining my cycle! :evil:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:07 am

As for Baylor versus SMU, it will all depend on whether SMU offers and scholarship consideration (nothing was mentioned in the voice message). It doesn't appear as though SMU offers much in the way of scholarship money to PT students. If SMU covers just half, then it is far more likely that I'll attend over Baylor.

I have a unique situation in that I own a house in Dallas that I have been unable to sell or rent ...

pammons

New

Post by pammons » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:12 am

chadwick218 wrote:I have a unique situation in that I own a house in Dallas that I have been unable to sell or rent ...
Chadwick, my dad is looking for a house in Dallas...If he bought it from you would you give me your SMU spot? :D

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:44 am

Absolutley, we'd have to work this one out with SMU of course (j/k :wink: ) ... plus my house is actually in Plano, TX (about 20 miles north)

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:36 am

I primarily spend most of my days working downtown. This morning I left at 7:15AM and pulled into the office garage 40 minutes later ... I take the Tollway so traffic is heavy, but smooth. If I leave the house at 6:30AM, I am in the office by 7AM. The drive home is about the same ...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:42 am

chadwick218 wrote:I primarily spend most of my days working downtown. This morning I left at 7:15AM and pulled into the office garage 40 minutes later ... I take the Tollway so traffic is heavy, but smooth. If I leave the house at 6:30AM, I am in the office by 7AM. The drive home is about the same ...

This is great to hear as it has been a concern for me, too. Anyone want to weigh in on the morning commute via 75? We're looking at moving to the Allen/McKinney area (or maybe Frisco). My wife and I visited the area last weekend and we rode the DART down from the Plano station to Mockingbird just to see how that would work. Yuck. It might save wear and tear on the car, but it would double the commute time both ways, based on what you're saying, so we quickly ruled that out. I'd rather drive myself and spend the extra hour with my kids every day.

Betasteve, LMK where you end up, maybe we can carpool some.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:51 am

If you are looking to "buy" there are some very attractive homes on the market in both Allen and McKinney due to over-building and recent foreclosures that have impacted the area. If you have to commute during rush hour, it can be a painful drive though. It's all about timing ...

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:01 pm

chadwick218 wrote:If you are looking to "buy" there are some very attractive homes on the market in both Allen and McKinney due to over-building and recent foreclosures that have impacted the area. If you have to commute during rush hour, it can be a painful drive though. It's all about timing ...
Yeah, I'm thinking that I'll be doing most of my commuting at odd times, not like a regular 8-5 job. My hope is that this will make things easier. I've only driven that stretch on weekends and it only takes 25-30 minutes, so even double that is not too bad a few times a week. I live in Austin now and commute 45+ minutes each way, so I don't mind driving if it means I have affordable housing and decent schools.

overtheoxer

New

Post by overtheoxer » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:19 pm

nontradintexas - Keep in mind that if you live in Allen or Mckinney, you'll be driving with the traffic on 75. As chadwick218 stated, that drive can be painful!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:30 pm

overtheoxer wrote:nontradintexas - Keep in mind that if you live in Allen or Mckinney, you'll be driving with the traffic on 75. As chadwick218 stated, that drive can be painful!
Do you feel like it would be bad driving at odd times? I'd likely leave before 6:30 every day and come home either 3-4 or 6-7 (maybe later). I'm used to driving nearly an hour, so do you think it would be worse than that at those times?

Betasteve - I know what you mean about feeling like there's a lot to do. We're freaking out about selling our house and it's only been on the market for a week. Ultimately it seems like every step we need to take from this point forward hinges on that, so it would be nice if that was done! BTW - if anyone needs a house in the NW Austin suburbs, I'll make you a deal! :D

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:49 pm

nontradintexas, have you looked at working with a realtor to see if you can find someone willing to "swap" houses ... I have heard of rare success stories, but it might just be another option to consider given that there is a lot of movement b/w Dallas and Austin.

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:02 pm

chadwick218 wrote:nontradintexas, have you looked at working with a realtor to see if you can find someone willing to "swap" houses ... I have heard of rare success stories, but it might just be another option to consider given that there is a lot of movement b/w Dallas and Austin.
We haven't thought about that, but it may be something we look at as moving deadlines draw closer. We are working with a realtor (on both ends) and we have plenty of time for now. It's just nerve-wracking at this point.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:31 pm

Anyone know if SMU has closed up shop for this cycle?

I called them yesterday before knowing that they were gonna be notifying people and got sent directly to the voicemail. I left a message and they never called me back so it seems like they just are gonna give the rest of us the runaround... :roll:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ashleylsmith

New

Post by ashleylsmith » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:55 pm

Just got into SMU fulltime!!! Yay!!!

Jsmith20

New

Post by Jsmith20 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:12 pm

Does anyone know how it works if you applied for both programs? I heard today that instead of being waitlisted and quite possibly getting into the FT program, if you aren't accepted now, but meet their guidlines for the PT program they accept you there.

I understood you could give a preference and could be waitlisted for FT without automatically being put in the PT program.

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:14 pm

ashleylsmith wrote:Just got into SMU fulltime!!! Yay!!!
Wow, congrats! was it a phone call or e-mail acceptance?

ashleylsmith

New

Post by ashleylsmith » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:23 pm

I just called, and she said she was about to call me...It does go in alphabetical order.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sk8erb0imike

New

Post by sk8erb0imike » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:23 pm

Is there any difference at all graduating from the PT program and the FT program?

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:23 pm

ashleylsmith wrote:Just got into SMU fulltime!!! Yay!!!
praise the LORD! this gives the rest of us hope!

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:24 pm

ashleylsmith wrote:I just called, and she said she was about to call me...It does go in alphabetical order.
alphabetical by first or last name...? if theyre already at smith then im screwed.

sk8erb0imike

New

Post by sk8erb0imike » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:24 pm

ashleylsmith wrote:I just called, and she said she was about to call me...It does go in alphabetical order.
Congrats!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”