The Official in at Richmond Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Pustiki

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby Pustiki » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:18 pm

Haha. Long story or the short story?

I'm from rural northeast PA. I attended UR as an undergrad, having applied early decision then, as well. I visited the campus once during my college search and was done. My four years of undergrad study were awesome in Richmond for any number of reasons. I fell in love with the city, the state and the people. I've worked for two URLaw grads in a criminal and traffic defense firm, one was from Virginia the other from Staten Island. Working in their practices got me quickly introduced to the court system and I further ventured into the city and surrounding areas. The history is interesting, there is tons to do both in the city and within an hour and a half drive (Washington, Virginia Beach, Williamsburg, Roanoke, Shenandoah Park, etc. etc. etc.). And still only a 6 hour drive from home.

The campus, well, it speaks for itself. Studying on a campus with any number of places to sit, relax, focus, and enjoy a beautiful surrounding is definitely not drudgery. The food is good, the entertainment is good, the new gym is awesome, the law library is a great place to study. There are exciting things happening on the campus and in Richmond itself. If you choose to live in The Fan (you should), you find a historical urban setting with cool shops, fantastic restaurants, museums, historic theaters, and great night life. Nearby are massive state and city parks (Maymont is absolutely breathtaking... a former private estate with acres of gardens right on the James River...they even have a pet bear). The James River, alone, adds something immeasurable to the city scape. You can literally whitewater raft beneath skyscrapers. The city is an important financial and business center, offering serious high profile jobs and important low profile jobs. Not to mention, it's the government capital of Virginia, seats a Federal Court, and a Federal Reserve bank. You can practice in at least 10 different state court houses within a 30 minute drive of your office. I'm sure I'll find a job once I graduate with a law degree from UR. Sorry if I sound like the school's admissions brochures, but these things are what make the experience in Richmond an amazing and worthwhile one.

What you're really asking is why didn't I apply anywhere else. I'm happy with Richmond. The city offers me what I'm looking for, the campus is amazing, and the people who work there, both faculty and staff, are great people. I'm not worried about going to a big name school, however, I would argue that UR is a very important name, especially if you're not concerned with practicing outside of Virginia or Washington. If you don't want to live in Virginia, or Richmond, don't go there.

I knew that I could apply to other schools and probably be accepted to some. When it came down to it, if I got into Richmond, it wouldn't matter what other schools I got into. If I didn't, I had time to apply elsewhere. UR sweetens the deal for early applicants with no application fee. I have a friend who spent well over 1000 bucks just applying to schools... you can only go to one of them... On top of this, applicants admitted under early decision receive at least 7500 bucks off the sticker price, just for applying early. Couple that with the merit scholarship they gave me today and I'm already at half price for tuition. In the end, I found out I was accepted in December, applied for free, and had 7500 bucks off the price before many other people were done stressing about where to apply. I should say, however, that I've had two years from undergrad until I applied to think about where I really wanted to go. Didn't take long to click send on the early application due date.

I could go on, but damn, I think I've said enough.

By the way, anyone else starting classes in May?

dkelch317

Postby dkelch317 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:10 am

Pustiki wrote:I knew that I could apply to other schools and probably be accepted to some. When it came down to it, if I got into Richmond, it wouldn't matter what other schools I got into. If I didn't, I had time to apply elsewhere. UR sweetens the deal for early applicants with no application fee. I have a friend who spent well over 1000 bucks just applying to schools... you can only go to one of them... On top of this, applicants admitted under early decision receive at least 7500 bucks off the sticker price, just for applying early. Couple that with the merit scholarship they gave me today and I'm already at half price for tuition. In the end, I found out I was accepted in December, applied for free, and had 7500 bucks off the price before many other people were done stressing about where to apply. I should say, however, that I've had two years from undergrad until I applied to think about where I really wanted to go. Didn't take long to click send on the early application due date.

I applied the first day in the fall that we were able and had to pay, and I have not heard anything about money being taken off the sticker price for early decision........are you making this up?

jewtangclan03

Postby jewtangclan03 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:04 am

^ ridiculous if true

Ugly Fat Fat

Postby Ugly Fat Fat » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:35 am

dkelch317 wrote:
Pustiki wrote:I knew that I could apply to other schools and probably be accepted to some. When it came down to it, if I got into Richmond, it wouldn't matter what other schools I got into. If I didn't, I had time to apply elsewhere. UR sweetens the deal for early applicants with no application fee. I have a friend who spent well over 1000 bucks just applying to schools... you can only go to one of them... On top of this, applicants admitted under early decision receive at least 7500 bucks off the sticker price, just for applying early. Couple that with the merit scholarship they gave me today and I'm already at half price for tuition. In the end, I found out I was accepted in December, applied for free, and had 7500 bucks off the price before many other people were done stressing about where to apply. I should say, however, that I've had two years from undergrad until I applied to think about where I really wanted to go. Didn't take long to click send on the early application due date.

I applied the first day in the fall that we were able and had to pay, and I have not heard anything about money being taken off the sticker price for early decision........are you making this up?

I had understood the application materials to read that anyone who applied through the early decision program, and was accepted under ED terms, would be entitled to a scholarship of at least $7500.

dkelch317

Postby dkelch317 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:23 am

Ugly Fat Fat wrote:
dkelch317 wrote:

I had understood the application materials to read that anyone who applied through the early decision program, and was accepted under ED terms, would be entitled to a scholarship of at least $7500.

OK, I see. That makes a lot more sense.

jewtangclan03

Postby jewtangclan03 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:11 am

Kinda wish I would have done that. Would have been a shrewd move.

GHH923

Postby GHH923 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:36 am

Pustiki wrote:For those interested, Ms. Meyer let me know that consideration for the John Marshall Scholarship has not concluded.

Also, why aren't you all joining the facebook group, or have most of you just not committed to attend Richmond yet?

Numbers: 163/3.11, early decision applicant.

Interesting info about JM consideration. Maybe they are waiting on solid commits for those who have been offered the scholly (if any) before saying, "ok, we're done giving these out".

Got the e-mail yesterday morning for $15K. +/- 164, 3.5.

Congrats to everyone else who has heard, and to those visiting, enjoy your time.

SoxyPirate

Postby SoxyPirate » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:28 pm

Sent in LOCI today, and this afternoon a nice lady called to confirm that it had been put in my file.

She also informed me that the Dean was down here in Greenville, NC meeting with alumni, and that he had been informed of my LOCI and decided to invite me to a breakfast he was hosting here tomorrow morning for alumni.

Great, I thought! So, as she told me the address of the restaurant where I would meet the Dean tomorrow morning I was a bit puzzled. I had never heard of the restaurant or even the street.

"Are you sure this isn't Greenville, SOUTH Carolina?"

"Oh boy...I've made a mistake."

Hopes and dreams crushed in a single instant.

It's not as bad as what happened to the UNC kids today, but it was pretty bad.

slu7c

Postby slu7c » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:32 pm

$15,000 164/3.36 Drove through campus the other day... very impressive... 90% sure it's where I'm going!

SoxyPirate

Postby SoxyPirate » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:39 pm

Not in, but I visited URichmond today. The campus is quite beautiful, apart from the eyesore construction going on right beside the law school. The building itself is nice on the outside, and pretty average on the inside. Classrooms are up-to-date and all, and the library seems pretty average too (though every student has their own little desk assigned in the library).

The students seemed...well...kind of nerdy and a couple seemed a little stuck up even. The tour guide was really nice and helpful.

Overall, it seems like a really nice place to study law for 3 years.

Let me know if y'all have any specific questions.

westimes

Postby westimes » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:56 pm

I got a call a couple weeks ago that I was in, and was very excited. I went there for undergrad (class of 91) and LOVE the school in many, many ways. Because of my job for the past two decades I've had reason to go back and speak to classes, do some panels, etc... and have always been impressed by the faculty and the administration.

The law school has a very strong reputation in town and in Va., and when it comes to Va politics/courts/government, of course, all roads lead to Richmond.

That said, I may not end up there, because of some location/ amily concerns. But if I don't end up there, it's not because of the school itself.

Plus, I echo the earlier writer: I LOVE richmond. Aside from living there during college, my wife and i moved to the Fan for a couple years in the late 90s and really, really had a great time -- great restaurants, cool pubs, neat people, lots of history.

Congrats to you all and have fun (if I don't see you there)!

jewtangclan03

Postby jewtangclan03 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:57 am

Well, the official spokesman for Richmond on TLS just got word he is not getting any money from them.

I really like it there and think it would be the best fit for me if costs were equal. But considering I have an enormous offer staring me in the face from a school ranked not too much lower, I am wondering how wise of a choice Richmond would be for me.

Hoo09

Postby Hoo09 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:17 pm

jewtangclan03 wrote:Well, the official spokesman for Richmond on TLS just got word he is not getting any money from them.

I really like it there and think it would be the best fit for me if costs were equal. But considering I have an enormous offer staring me in the face from a school ranked not too much lower, I am wondering how wise of a choice Richmond would be for me.

Hi everyone! I am sorry for not replying sooner, I will get back to people who asked me questions later. But in the meantime, did you call and ask or did they send you something letting you know you're definitely not getting anything? I am sorry that this made the decision more complicated.. :(

jewtangclan03

Postby jewtangclan03 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:12 am

Fellow 'Hoo btw, c/o '07...

I called and spoke with Dean Rahman.

tchadwick

Postby tchadwick » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:04 am

jewtangclan03 wrote:Fellow 'Hoo btw, c/o '07...

What is a 'hoo ?

jewtangclan03

Postby jewtangclan03 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:04 pm

'Hoo is short for Wahoo, which is another name for the Virginia Cavaliers. Kind of like how the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets are also known as the Rambling Wreck.

And I think the Wahoo is some sort of wide mouthed bass with sharp teeth.

tchadwick

Postby tchadwick » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:55 am

So, who else on here is still waiting to hear back about the John Marshall Scholar program? I know if you are waiting (like me) that we have missed the first round of offers, but are on some waitlist... Do you remember when we are supposed to be notified by, regardless? Was it after the tuition deposit deadline (April 15th)?

If anyone reading this has gotten an offer for the JM Scholars, what is the date that you have to commit by? (You can PM me, if you don't want to post your status into the blogosphere). I'm still trying to assess my options, but I am pretty sure that if they still offered it to me, I would commit to Richmond that day. I loved the school and the city.... However, I don't want to have to lay down the deposit while still waiting on the slim chance of getting into the scholars program. Plus I have a good offer over at Wake Forest that is hard to turn down...

apper123

Postby apper123 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:33 pm

I have a nice scholarship offer from Richmond, and I am weighing going to UR vs going to an in-state school (Pitt or Temple) in PA. Any thoughts on the portability and long-term prospects of a UR degree?

kellbell

Postby kellbell » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:51 pm

Waitlisted. :cry:

Hoo09

Postby Hoo09 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:25 pm

kellbell wrote:Waitlisted. :cry:

Kell don't give up hope! I've heard multiple stories of people getting off of Richmond's waitlist. One of the people that my father works with actually got called a couple of days before classes started. They literally call and notify people all summer, so try not to worry too much. Just make sure to keep in touch with admissions and send any additional info you have that could strengthen your file. And I know at least one person not going that got in, so maybe you can have their spot (not me, but one of my friends)! :wink:

jewtangclan03 wrote:Fellow 'Hoo btw, c/o '07...

Just wanted to say thanks for getting back to me! :) Nice to see another Hoo around! :)

Okay and before someone asked me why I was so impressed with Richmond I believe so let me clarify on that (sorry I've been pretty swamped at school lately). The first impressive thing to me is that Dean Rahman takes the time to call everyone. That is so much more personal and professional in my opinion. Secondly, I love the Richmond-area. I am from Richmond, so I feel like it's the next best place to northern Virginia to find anything you want to do and anywhere you want to go. There's history (as many have mentioned) as well as nightlife, restaurants, shopping, etc. The beach is around 2 hours away which is not bad and outlet malls and even more history are within an hour away. Then you're also close to DC which is nice. The school has a strong regional reputation, and for job prospects it's best for the DelMarVa or DC/VA/NC region in my opinion. However, I don't think graduating from Richmond would keep you from getting a job somewhere outside of Virginia. What I am trying to say is that I think if you're shooting for a top 250 law-firm job in Chicago or you're trying to become a law professor..it's going to prove to be more challenging. That being said, it's all about what you make of it. If you go to Richmond and perform well and you're in the top of the class you'll be doing just as well as you would be near the middle of the class at a larger, higher ranked school in my opinion. Thus, it's a strong school academically, it's a smaller school which I believe is conducive to a strong learning environment (and I've attended both a large university and a small private college..so I can attest there are advantages to a smaller school), beautiful campus, and the people working there seem great. I was impressed by the amount of time Dean Rahman spent talking with my parents and me and then I was again impressed by her at the dinner in Charlottesville. When I sat in on a class, the lecture was wonderful and I saw students actually sharing books and helping each other, which considering how cut-throat law school can be at some schools..the fact that students were working together was also impressive to me. Let me know if anyone has any other specific questions I didn't answer! :)

dkelch317

Postby dkelch317 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:11 am

tchadwick wrote:So, who else on here is still waiting to hear back about the John Marshall Scholar program? I know if you are waiting (like me) that we have missed the first round of offers, but are on some waitlist... Do you remember when we are supposed to be notified by, regardless? Was it after the tuition deposit deadline (April 15th)?

If anyone reading this has gotten an offer for the JM Scholars, what is the date that you have to commit by? (You can PM me, if you don't want to post your status into the blogosphere). I'm still trying to assess my options, but I am pretty sure that if they still offered it to me, I would commit to Richmond that day. I loved the school and the city.... However, I don't want to have to lay down the deposit while still waiting on the slim chance of getting into the scholars program. Plus I have a good offer over at Wake Forest that is hard to turn down...

Dean Rahman informed me last week that they would be getting to the 1st round of alternates on April 1st, and that those people would have 5 days to respond. Then, if they need to go further down the list they will do so. I hope I hear from them on the 1st!

lasolas

Postby lasolas » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:16 am

Is anyone else still waiting on a decision from Richmond?

tchadwick

Postby tchadwick » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:18 am

dkelch317 wrote:Dean Rahman informed me last week that they would be getting to the 1st round of alternates on April 1st, and that those people would have 5 days to respond. Then, if they need to go further down the list they will do so. I hope I hear from them on the 1st!

Thanks a lot for the info! I will be anxiously praying for the phone to ring as well.....

paulmar

Postby paulmar » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:28 pm

lasolas wrote:Is anyone else still waiting on a decision from Richmond?

Yeah, I haven't heard a thing and applied 2 months ago. I'd been keeping in touch with one of the admins there, and she said all decisions were going to be out by the end of March.

I'm assuming we're probably rejected... :(

Rocky Estoppel

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:23 pm

Withdrew today - I couldn't justify Richmond over in-state tuition at Tennessee without some scholarship $$ - Good Luck to everyone - Richmond has a beautiful campus!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”