The Official in at Richmond Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
jewtangclan03
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:08 pm

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby jewtangclan03 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:17 pm

Michelephant wrote:I have a dinner with Dean Rahman on the 24th. Apparently UR's doing something special for the grads taking the bar in VaBeach so she'll be here dining with us. I'll be sure to ask her questions about scholarship offers and what not and post back with any news.


I'll be going to either that or the breakfast in Norfolk the next day. So maybe I'll see you there!

Ugly Fat Fat
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:15 pm

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby Ugly Fat Fat » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:48 am

Anyone heard of a date for an admitted students day?

User avatar
ruraljuror
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby ruraljuror » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:30 pm

Ugly Fat Fat wrote:Anyone heard of a date for an admitted students day?



When Dean Rahman called, she said that the ASD isn't until June. She said that we're welcome to visit anytime before that, but that the official weekend isn't until later.

User avatar
Rocky Estoppel
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:31 pm

Got a voice mail from the Dean...I'm thinking I'm in. Says she'll call back at another time.

eross2
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:39 pm

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby eross2 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:43 pm

I'm also in at Richmond (in early Dec. actually) and was wondering about scholarships... please post if anyone has info about them!

Also, I'm going to a dinner with the Dean on March 10, she'll be in NYC for something, so whoever is going to one on the 24th, let me know how it goes! They're admissions style is very personal, I like that.

User avatar
Rocky Estoppel
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:39 pm

kak23 wrote:Got a voice mail from the Dean...I'm thinking I'm in. Says she'll call back at another time.

Got the phone call - I'm in!

User avatar
Rocky Estoppel
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:41 pm

eross2 wrote:I'm also in at Richmond (in early Dec. actually) and was wondering about scholarships... please post if anyone has info about them!

When I spoke to the Dean on the phone she said I should receive my admissions packet in a few days (it was being sent out tomorrow morning) and that she wanted to give me a scholarship and that I should hear about it the beginning of March but to make sure I have the FAFSA done.

Hope that helps.

CUjpb09
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:01 pm

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby CUjpb09 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:21 pm

Starting to get a little nervous. Sent application 1/15 and have been receiving the mailings, but never received anything confirming my application was complete. Spoke with Admissions Office last week and they said they had everything they needed and I would hear sometime in March.

Got 160/3.4 - Richmond native, went on a tour and met admissions officers in the Fall. Wondering what could be going on. Any ideas?

User avatar
jewtangclan03
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:08 pm

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby jewtangclan03 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:17 am

I bet you hear some good news within the next couple of weeks..

Michelephant
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:48 pm

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby Michelephant » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:53 pm

ruraljuror wrote:
Michelephant wrote:I have a dinner with Dean Rahman on the 24th. Apparently UR's doing something special for the grads taking the bar in VaBeach so she'll be here dining with us. I'll be sure to ask her questions about scholarship offers and what not and post back with any news.



Great, thanks! Is she as nice as she seems on the phone?



I'll definitely let you know! But I'm sure she is. I have a friend that graduated from UR Law and he says she's one of the most approachable person he's ever known.

Michelephant
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:48 pm

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby Michelephant » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:53 pm

jewtangclan03 wrote:
Michelephant wrote:I have a dinner with Dean Rahman on the 24th. Apparently UR's doing something special for the grads taking the bar in VaBeach so she'll be here dining with us. I'll be sure to ask her questions about scholarship offers and what not and post back with any news.


I'll be going to either that or the breakfast in Norfolk the next day. So maybe I'll see you there!



Cool that would be super fun to meet someone from here that's also considering UR.

Michelephant
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:48 pm

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby Michelephant » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:54 pm

kak23 wrote:
kak23 wrote:Got a voice mail from the Dean...I'm thinking I'm in. Says she'll call back at another time.

Got the phone call - I'm in!


Congrats!

GHH923
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:22 pm

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby GHH923 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:13 pm

So I've been around TLS for a while, but been in hiding since Oct. 2008. Already been through a cycle (-'08-09) once, fwiw.

Applied to UR early Dec and was accepted a couple days before Christmas. Was told I would be getting a JM Scholarship App (I did) and recently submitted that. Anyone who applied want to volunteer how they answered the prompt?

Congratulations to those who have been accepted.

soxfan08
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby soxfan08 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:22 pm

I wrote mine with a sympathetic approach. I talked about how it is unfair to place stereotypes across an entire profession, how most lawyers are ethical and the exception gives lawyers a bad reputation. I also talked about my experiences growing up as the son of a lawyer. I did find it difficult to write without just saying the negative things people think about lawyers. I think showing a little pity and arguing that those opinions are misguided helped soften the issue.

We'll see what happens. I am hoping they don't wait too long to tell us. I have a visit scheduled next week, but I am not expecting to know by then.

User avatar
tchadwick
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:45 am

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby tchadwick » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:11 pm

GHH923 wrote:So I've been around TLS for a while, but been in hiding since Oct. 2008. Already been through a cycle (-'08-09) once, fwiw.

Applied to UR early Dec and was accepted a couple days before Christmas. Was told I would be getting a JM Scholarship App (I did) and recently submitted that. Anyone who applied want to volunteer how they answered the prompt?

Congratulations to those who have been accepted.


I found that I only had the space (due to the 500-word limit) to really focus on one problem that people have with the law as a profession. So, I chose to talk about how increasingly litigious our society has become, in relation to torts, and regarding how government officials have complained of an over abundance of lawyers and threat of lawsuits interfering with the way military operations are run. I don't know, it's a bit strange to summarize. Overall, I think my essay was pretty generic (I did not enjoy writing it), but hopefully it will suffice!

Oh, and I also put in my two cents about how the profession, as a whole, should be well-respected for their commitment to creating a just society, and so forth. I tried not to be fair. We'll see!

Pustiki
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:30 pm

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby Pustiki » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:00 pm

Hey ya'll. I got my call from Dean Rahman back in December but just now found TLS. I applied Early Decision and wrote the John Marshall Scholars Essay. If anyone wants to share essays, I'm down for that.

I attended UR as an undergrad and worked for two URLaw grads before returning home to save some cash. Love it there. I'm from Northeast, PA and can't wait to get back south.

Is anyone posting on the equity.richmond.edu/wwwboard forum for new students?

I'd love to hear about where people are from, what kind of plans people have for housing arrangements, and don't mind at all talking to anyone with questions about the city, campus, etc.

By the way, the interestedbyestander might want to remain just that.

GHH923
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:22 pm

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby GHH923 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:27 pm

Nice to hear from all who have been admitted, irrespective of whether or not a JM app. was included.

My particular essay focused, broadly, on how our individual ability to create for ourselves greater self-determination frequently leads to increased legislation and regulation on that particular area, and that the lawyers' role in this case was to guide and counsel individuals to comply with the law in a manner that allows them to act "legally", keeping with the principals of our society.

I know I'm explaining it backwards, but I thought that lawyers had a negative public image and that this was largely unjustified in light of the fact that our society continues to progress, and that progression means more interaction with lawyers (the source of public consternation) due to an increased legal universe. I did point out, like it sounds like some of you guys did, that instances where frivilous litigation and blatent violations of the law occur are most damaging to the profession because public discontent is most loudly heard in cases such as those. A little rah-rah, perhaps, but I thought about it for a while and that is what it boiled down to (in 500ish words...that wasn't easy).

We'll see, but I'm in agreement with others -- I would like this to be sooner rather than later. I think 12 of these guys are handed out, also. If that was already posted to this thread I apologize.

User avatar
redsox8105
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:22 pm

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby redsox8105 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:38 pm

I'm sort of confused about the scholarship information. In my acceptance letter it doesn't mention anything about my reward specifically, but it does talk about how Marshall scholars will receive $10,000 on top of a $15,000 reward. I was invited to apply for the Marshall scholar, so does that mean that right now I have a $15,000 reward, and if I get the Marshall scholarship I'll get $10,000 more?

albieman
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby albieman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:44 pm

Congrats to everyone who has been been accepted.

I applied Mid-December and have not heard a peep.

Any open statement to Richmond.....please let me in.

Your friend,

Albieman

User avatar
tchadwick
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:45 am

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby tchadwick » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:06 pm

redsox8105 wrote:I'm sort of confused about the scholarship information. In my acceptance letter it doesn't mention anything about my reward specifically, but it does talk about how Marshall scholars will receive $10,000 on top of a $15,000 reward. I was invited to apply for the Marshall scholar, so does that mean that right now I have a $15,000 reward, and if I get the Marshall scholarship I'll get $10,000 more?


Personally, I would not assume anything at this point -- Not until you have it in writing... I think the Dean made similar references to scholarship awards to lots of people. Not to say that she was insincere; however, it was made pretty clear that they were not actually divying up funds at that time - so, until that happens, anything goes!

User avatar
redsox8105
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:22 pm

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby redsox8105 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:09 pm

That's what I figured. I have no idea how many Marshall scholars they give out or how many people they ask to apply for one, so I guess we're pretty much in the dark.

soxfan08
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby soxfan08 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:17 pm

My impression from the letter was that it is 15000 if you remain in good standing then 10000 more if you keep meeting the grade requirement(of course 25000 for 1L because u don't have grades yet).I don't think anything has been handed out yet. I read somewhere on here that we should hear by early march. I have a visit planned for next week so I certainly will ask and report back.

User avatar
tchadwick
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:45 am

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby tchadwick » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:20 pm

soxfan08 wrote:My impression from the letter was that it is 15000 if you remain in good standing then 10000 more if you keep meeting the grade requirement(of course 25000 for 1L because u don't have grades yet).I don't think anything has been handed out yet. I read somewhere on here that we should hear by early march. I have a visit planned for next week so I certainly will ask and report back.


Cool! I just scheduled my visit for March 19th, but I would love to hear any dates for scholly info that they tell you about!

Michelephant
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:48 pm

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby Michelephant » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:32 am

Okay well the dinner with Dean Rahman was last night at Keagan's bar and grill. I promised that I would report back for some of you who don't get the opportunity to sit down with her. I was early and the dean came in shortly after me so we had a good 20 minutes to talk before the others arrived. I asked specifically about scholarships. She said that the packages were on her desk right now and that she would be sending out notifications soon. That was about all the answer I could get out of her about that, other than she has me in the top spot for a full scholly.....

Anyway, there were four alums there and six admitted students. Lots of food and talking about this that and the other. I'll say that most of what I know I learned from this forum so I just needed to apply it specifically to UR. I asked Whitney, one of the alums, about the curve (I didn't get a straightforward answer from Dean Rahman on that) and she said that it's a B curve. Interesting. And she answered a ton of my questions about law review since she was on it.

Anything specific that people want to ask I'm willing to share, but to be honest I didn't gain anything new other than the sense that Dean Rahman really cares and that UR is small enough to foster really great lawyers. The bar passage rate was awesome and Dean Rahman and I talked a lot about that since she was delivering lunches for the bar testers and that's what brought her to VB.

Anyway, I also got the tip to live in Copper Springs or Copper Mill apts. So I'll at least be checking those out. Honey Tree is a no unless you're really into bugs apparently lol.

User avatar
tchadwick
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:45 am

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Postby tchadwick » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:41 am

Michelephant wrote:Okay well the dinner with Dean Rahman was last night at Keagan's bar and grill. I promised that I would report back for some of you who don't get the opportunity to sit down with her. I was early and the dean came in shortly after me so we had a good 20 minutes to talk before the others arrived. I asked specifically about scholarships. She said that the packages were on her desk right now and that she would be sending out notifications soon. That was about all the answer I could get out of her about that, other than she has me in the top spot for a full scholly.....

Anyway, there were four alums there and six admitted students. Lots of food and talking about this that and the other. I'll say that most of what I know I learned from this forum so I just needed to apply it specifically to UR. I asked Whitney, one of the alums, about the curve (I didn't get a straightforward answer from Dean Rahman on that) and she said that it's a B curve. Interesting. And she answered a ton of my questions about law review since she was on it.

Anything specific that people want to ask I'm willing to share, but to be honest I didn't gain anything new other than the sense that Dean Rahman really cares and that UR is small enough to foster really great lawyers. The bar passage rate was awesome and Dean Rahman and I talked a lot about that since she was delivering lunches for the bar testers and that's what brought her to VB.

Anyway, I also got the tip to live in Copper Springs or Copper Mill apts. So I'll at least be checking those out. Honey Tree is a no unless you're really into bugs apparently lol.



Thanks for the info!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BuyaLittleMercy, carlos_danger, crimsonknight, Daaltaraan, genjustice, Google Adsense [Bot], jstans, nume2016, premalone, Why??? and 46 guests