The Official in at Richmond Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Pustiki

New

Re: The Official in at Richmond Thread

Post by Pustiki » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:57 pm

You can find much much cheaper housing than those two apartment complexes in The Fan. I'd bet you could find cheaper housing in the West End (closer to campus) than that, too. Honey Tree is in the West End, but it's true, I haven't heard much good said about them. The University does keep some of those apartments on hand for kids they can't fit on campus. I've seen one of the apartments and it looked alright, but like I said, I've heard they're not too fun to deal with.
Horsepen Estates is also another good place to check out. About as pricey as the Copper Mill and Copper Springs complexes, but a little more roomier (townhouses) and closer to campus.

Hoo09

New

Post by Hoo09 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:50 pm

Anyone going to the dinner or lunch in Charlottesville? Also, Michelephant, thank you for your post! I have one quick question: do you think she meant just the JM scholarships or all of the scholarships?

Pustiki

New

Post by Pustiki » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:30 pm

Hey ya'll...
There's a facebook group set up for the class of 2012. Just do a search for University of Richmond School of Law Class of 2012.

ajf110577

New

Post by ajf110577 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:49 pm

I got an email today saying scholarships won't go out until the first week in april, except for the john marshall which should be about a week before. this is a real bummer for me.

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:51 pm

That blows- right near the seat deposit deadline for schools. Aren't they supposed to be a bit stingy with aid anyways?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jewtangclan03

New

Post by jewtangclan03 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:39 pm

ajf110577 wrote: got an email today saying scholarships won't go out until the first week in april, except for the john marshall which should be about a week before. this is a real bummer for me
This is surprising. I spoke with Dean Rahman a week and a half ago-- she said that they were making scholarship decisions on Monday 2/23 and that recipients would hear of their award two weeks after that. So if I don't hear from them by the end of next week, I'll be giving them a call.

As the TLS profile indicates, it appears as if they are stingy with aid. But I couldn't imagine them waiting until April to tell people whatever money they get when many have to make a decision by Apr 1.

Michelephant

New

Post by Michelephant » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:27 am

Hoo09 wrote:Anyone going to the dinner or lunch in Charlottesville? Also, Michelephant, thank you for your post! I have one quick question: do you think she meant just the JM scholarships or all of the scholarships?

I think she meant merit scholarships, not including the JM scholarship. I think the JM goes to a panel, whereas merit or financial based schollys come directly from admissions.

A girl that I've been chatting with on LSN said that she received her financial aid package already (no scholly money) but I think it's kind of mean for them to wait until April for everyone else. I like the school and all, but that's pushing me closer to my other options.

Hoo09

New

Post by Hoo09 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:07 pm

Hey everyone, just wanted to update. I went for my official tour/visit today and I asked about scholarships (not the JM, just regular) and they said they are trying to get them out within like the next week. That comes from admissions. All need-based aid, loans, and grants will come from Fin Aid probably around April (but maybe sooner?). Long story short, I was very impressed today..let me know if you have any questions.

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:36 am

Hoo09 wrote:Hey everyone, just wanted to update. I went for my official tour/visit today and I asked about scholarships (not the JM, just regular) and they said they are trying to get them out within like the next week. That comes from admissions. All need-based aid, loans, and grants will come from Fin Aid probably around April (but maybe sooner?). Long story short, I was very impressed today..let me know if you have any questions.
I'm probably going to head out there next week. Any tips for making sure that I get the best out of the experience? Is there anything worth seeing that they won't automatically provide? Also, what was it that impressed you about the school?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jewtangclan03

New

Post by jewtangclan03 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:08 pm

2009 Prospective wrote:I'm probably going to head out there next week. Any tips for making sure that I get the best out of the experience? Is there anything worth seeing that they won't automatically provide? Also, what was it that impressed you about the school?
Sign up for a tour, sit in on a class, and if you've got ten minutes after it's all over, just take a walk around the campus.

I have been most impressed with the intimate nature of the school. Dean Rahman and Dean Douglas are very nice and outgoing, and the administration in general has done a wonderful job of making me feel comfortable and wanted.

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:24 pm

jewtangclan03 wrote:
2009 Prospective wrote:I'm probably going to head out there next week. Any tips for making sure that I get the best out of the experience? Is there anything worth seeing that they won't automatically provide? Also, what was it that impressed you about the school?
Sign up for a tour, sit in on a class, and if you've got ten minutes after it's all over, just take a walk around the campus.

I have been most impressed with the intimate nature of the school. Dean Rahman and Dean Douglas are very nice and outgoing, and the administration in general has done a wonderful job of making me feel comfortable and wanted.
Thanks, that just about matches what I was planning on. The people that work there really do seem great.

SpencerPratt

Bronze

Post by SpencerPratt » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:07 pm

WTF Richmond? I get something new from them like every day (via snail mail, email). If you want me to look at all of this, accept me. Otherwise it seems like a huge waste of paper. I'm no tree-hugger, but sending out mini booklets to every applicant all the time seems like a waste.

redsox8105

New

Post by redsox8105 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:31 pm

They've sent me at least three (maybe four) of their intellectual properties pamphlets. I have absolutely no interest in IP and have never indicated otherwise. Nothing in my past suggests that I would have interest in IP and I never checked any boxes on the application that would lead them to think I'm looking into it.

WTF?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ruraljuror

New

Post by ruraljuror » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:26 pm

How many people have heard about their scholarships? It sounds like they've started contacting people, but I haven't received an email yet.

bptbabegyrl

New

Post by bptbabegyrl » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:31 pm

received an email today... 5K/yr merit scholarship.

Pustiki

New

Post by Pustiki » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:37 pm

I just now got an e-mail with mine in it. Not as big I'd have liked to see, but hey, I'm down with free money of all amounts. Didn't hear anything from financial aid, though... the e-mail I just received only concerns a merit scholarship through the admissions department.

Ugly Fat Fat

New

Post by Ugly Fat Fat » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:03 pm

Received my scholarship e-mail this morning too! I believe it said Financial Aid information would be forthcoming in April.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:11 pm

ruraljuror wrote:How many people have heard about their scholarships? It sounds like they've started contacting people, but I haven't received an email yet.
I heard this morning.

ruraljuror

New

Post by ruraljuror » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:21 pm

Would you guys mind posting your numbers? GPA and LSAT - not $$, obviously! I'm wondering if they are contacting people in any kind of order. When I called this morning the woman said that they'd be sending out the scholarship info the first week in April - she didn't ask for my name or anything, it sounded like her practiced line.

tchadwick

New

Post by tchadwick » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:23 pm

ruraljuror wrote:Would you guys mind posting your numbers? GPA and LSAT - not $$, obviously! I'm wondering if they are contacting people in any kind of order. When I called this morning the woman said that they'd be sending out the scholarship info the first week in April - she didn't ask for my name or anything, it sounded like her practiced line.
I got an email this morning, too. My info is in my profile, but since I'm posting anyway, i'm 164/3.69. I'm excited, since I happen to be visiting Richmond for the first time on Thursday!

ruraljuror

New

Post by ruraljuror » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:42 pm

^^Congrats! I'm not able to make it back east until the first week in April, but I vaguely remember checking Richmond out when I was touring for undergrad, and from what I can remember (and from what I hear) it's beautiful.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pustiki

New

Post by Pustiki » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:47 pm

For those interested, Ms. Meyer let me know that consideration for the John Marshall Scholarship has not concluded.

Also, why aren't you all joining the facebook group, or have most of you just not committed to attend Richmond yet?

Numbers: 163/3.11, early decision applicant.

ruraljuror

New

Post by ruraljuror » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:49 pm

I haven't joined any of the facebook groups yet, I'm not totally sure about where I'm going to go (waiting on $$$!) and I feel like it would be almost misleading to join the school's group and then not go.

tchadwick

New

Post by tchadwick » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:50 pm

ruraljuror wrote:I haven't joined any of the facebook groups yet, I'm not totally sure about where I'm going to go (waiting on $$$!) and I feel like it would be almost misleading to join the school's group and then not go.
Ditto.

Oh, yeah, and I guess I don't have a Facebook account anymore... I got sick of doing two of those sites, and Myspace won out... Maybe I'll be game for joining once again though - when I know where I'm going for sure!

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:53 pm

Pustiki wrote:For those interested, Ms. Meyer let me know that consideration for the John Marshall Scholarship has not concluded.

Also, why aren't you all joining the facebook group, or have most of you just not committed to attend Richmond yet?

Numbers: 163/3.11, early decision applicant.
Out of curiosity, why the ED as such a strong applicant?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”