In at Rutgers Newark!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dapoetic1

Bronze

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by dapoetic1 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:26 pm

There's a lot f what-ifs. I wouldn't want the poster with the 157 to think that the points between that score and the 160 will most definitely break the deal. There's a lot that goes into admissions decisions especially at Rutgers-N
I already said I think they will get in, so I don't know where your last few sentences came from.

For your assesment above I'd have to say I disagree. A 160 is looked at A LOT more fondly than a 157, just like a 163 to a 160, etc. Some schools decline based on 1 point such as Emory that has a (I believe) magical 164 cutoff or whatever for normal admits.
My statement wasn't aimed at your post specifically. I just think it's a hard assessment to make with a high lsat/low gpa or low lsat/high gpa for the same school. I agree that they both have an equal chance of getting in as well. I was simply stating an opinion about the proximity of their scores. There's a reason that schools look for mulitiple LSAT scores that are at least 4 points higher than your previous score. That's because 2-3 point differences in LSAT scores can't always be a defining factor. A 160 looks good on paper, but it isn't so far ahead of a 157 that it becomes a tie breaker in each case.
Like I said it was my opinion. I've seen people with and LSAT score 2-3 points lower than someone else and the person with the lower LSAT is admitted and the one with the higher LSAT is not and often there's a GPA difference. And I think there's a chance that a slightly higher GPA can in fact balance out the difference in a slightly lower LSAT.

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:02 am

IzziesGal wrote:Congrats, phooey! Where are you from? Love the user name, btw lol :D
Originally from Long Island, but I am currently living in LA. I want to practice law on the East Coast, so I only applied in that area.

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:06 am

Hmm you know what's weird, the open house is March 27, and the deposit is due April 1. that's not much time to decide. I guess you basically have the weekend to think about it, but you had better WALK your deposit over to the registrar. Never trust the mail.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:15 am

dapoetic1 wrote:
There's a lot f what-ifs. I wouldn't want the poster with the 157 to think that the points between that score and the 160 will most definitely break the deal. There's a lot that goes into admissions decisions especially at Rutgers-N
I already said I think they will get in, so I don't know where your last few sentences came from.

For your assesment above I'd have to say I disagree. A 160 is looked at A LOT more fondly than a 157, just like a 163 to a 160, etc. Some schools decline based on 1 point such as Emory that has a (I believe) magical 164 cutoff or whatever for normal admits.
My statement wasn't aimed at your post specifically. I just think it's a hard assessment to make with a high lsat/low gpa or low lsat/high gpa for the same school. I agree that they both have an equal chance of getting in as well. I was simply stating an opinion about the proximity of their scores. There's a reason that schools look for mulitiple LSAT scores that are at least 4 points higher than your previous score. That's because 2-3 point differences in LSAT scores can't always be a defining factor. A 160 looks good on paper, but it isn't so far ahead of a 157 that it becomes a tie breaker in each case.
Like I said it was my opinion. I've seen people with and LSAT score 2-3 points lower than someone else and the person with the lower LSAT is admitted and the one with the higher LSAT is not and often there's a GPA difference. And I think there's a chance that a slightly higher GPA can in fact balance out the difference in a slightly lower LSAT.
Sorry dude, but 3 points is a huge difference, I scored 2 ahead of my last LSAT and it has made all the difference.

Lysis

Bronze

Post by Lysis » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:18 am

A'nold wrote:
dapoetic1 wrote:

Sorry dude, but 3 points is a huge difference, I scored 2 ahead of my last LSAT and it has made all the difference.
But are you saying that the difference is greater than any GPA difference, in all cases? These schools definitely take applicants with lower LSATs, albeit less often.

Congrats on the Rutgers acceptance. I have a friend who just graduated there and loved her experience. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:21 am

Lysis wrote:
A'nold wrote:
dapoetic1 wrote:

But are you saying that the difference is greater than any GPA difference, in all cases? These schools definitely take applicants with lower LSATs, albeit less often.

Congrats on the Rutgers acceptance. I have a friend who just graduated there and loved her experience. :)
Look at it this way: if a school had a median LSAT of 163 and you had a 162 and a median GPA, you'd still think you had a chance, right? Well, what if that school's median was a 166? You'd think you had a slim to none chance. Even 1 point in an LSAT score can be the difference between an acceptance or rejection.

Lysis

Bronze

Post by Lysis » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:25 am

A'nold wrote: Look at it this way: if a school had a median LSAT of 163 and you had a 162 and a median GPA, you'd still think you had a chance, right? Well, what if that school's median was a 166? You'd think you had a slim to none chance. Even 1 point in an LSAT score can be the difference between an acceptance or rejection.
Right, but the point is they're weighing both GPA and LSAT, even if the latter is weighed more heavily. I don't think we really disagree on that point. A GPA that's just too low can "be the difference" too (it just happens less often because the GPA range is smaller and the LSAT is more important to the committees.)

premierock

New

Post by premierock » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:54 am

i dont think this will do anything for either of your arguments, but i was defered today...

157/3.5

klmnumbers

New

Post by klmnumbers » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:07 pm

premierock wrote:i dont think this will do anything for either of your arguments, but i was defered today...

157/3.5
Well shit. You're almost my exact number twin, and I thought I was almost 99% admit at Rutgers-N. They're one of my top choices, so I'm hoping to God this isn't indicative of their decision on my application. =(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

premierock

New

Post by premierock » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:50 pm

premierock wrote:Well shit. You're almost my exact number twin, and I thought I was almost 99% admit at Rutgers-N. They're one of my top choices, so I'm hoping to God this isn't indicative of their decision on my application. =(
Well you never know..even with the same numbers, our apps arent the same so I wouldn't get worried yet - plus its not a rejection..theres still hope!!

trickynck

New

Post by trickynck » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:05 pm

I'm a non-trad with a 156/31.5 and I got into the PT program....so there is DEF hope.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:07 pm

premierock wrote:i dont think this will do anything for either of your arguments, but i was defered today...

157/3.5

+1, 160, 3.2ish. I was REALLY hoping to get in there too. :cry:

klmnumbers

New

Post by klmnumbers » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:46 pm

A'nold wrote:

157/3.5

+1, 160, 3.2ish. I was REALLY hoping to get in there too. :cry:
lol cue my intense paranoia as I await news of my rejection or WL

=(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:42 pm

trickynck wrote:I'm a non-trad with a 156/31.5 and I got into the PT program....so there is DEF hope.
Hey, I've seen your profile on LSN. You're definitely someone I have my eye on. I also applied to Seton Hall. Have you decided where you want to go yet?

JPetrella18

New

Post by JPetrella18 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Got my acceptance notification via email on Tuesday afternoon and my packet today. Lots of really great information and a $15,000 per year scholarship offer.

I'm in-state, so needless to say, I'm really thrilled at the prospect of going to such a good school for such an amazing price. Now I'm just hoping that Cardozo gets back to me with good news soon so I can focusing on making a decision!!

Best of luck to everyone still waiting. I'm sending positive thoughts your way :-)

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:13 pm

JPetrella18 wrote:Got my acceptance notification via email on Tuesday afternoon and my packet today. Lots of really great information and a $15,000 per year scholarship offer.

I'm in-state, so needless to say, I'm really thrilled at the prospect of going to such a good school for such an amazing price. Now I'm just hoping that Cardozo gets back to me with good news soon so I can focusing on making a decision!!

Best of luck to everyone still waiting. I'm sending positive thoughts your way :-)
Rutgers over a scholly at William and Mary? Really?

JPetrella18

New

Post by JPetrella18 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:21 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
JPetrella18 wrote:Got my acceptance notification via email on Tuesday afternoon and my packet today. Lots of really great information and a $15,000 per year scholarship offer.

Rutgers over a scholly at William and Mary? Really?
Wow...haha. You played right into my internal debate, frankly.

I'm not really sure. I know W&M is an amazing school but I just don't know if I can do Williamsburg, VA. I'm more a Williamsburg, BK kind of guy. I went to Ithaca for undergrad and I just don't know if I can do the small town thing again...I also am almost POSITIVE that I don't want to end up in VA or DC long term.

I don't want to hijack this thread from everyone still waiting though. It's a hard decision for us all and hopefully we all end up in the right space. That said, I definitely welcome any feedback or opinions on the matter via PM.

Good luck again, everyone!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

billionaire boy

New

Post by billionaire boy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:19 am

What's your opinion between Rutger's Newark vs. Seton Hall.... besides the money..

even though Seton Hall is ranked higher for some reason I think Rutger's is more competitive overall???

id rather be @ Rutger's..

thoughts?

maxima099

New

Post by maxima099 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:39 pm

billionaire boy wrote:What's your opinion between Rutger's Newark vs. Seton Hall.... besides the money..

even though Seton Hall is ranked higher for some reason I think Rutger's is more competitive overall???

id rather be @ Rutger's..

thoughts?
Rutgers is certainly more established and has a strong alumni network.

Seton hall is relatively young is often labeled as a "rankings whore", a large part of the USnews ranking formula is based on the average gpa/lsat score of admitted students. So Seton hall has attempted (successfully) to increase its ranking through this method while Rutgers is more predicated on individuality, past statistics and focuses more on providing a provocative classroom experience as based on the intellectual and ethnic diversity of its students.

The bottom line for me is job prospects, and Rutgers clearly has the advantage in this field with respect to Seton Hall. I would go one step further to claim that Rutgers job prospects (in NY area) are only beaten by those of Columbia/NYU/Fordham students (yes, eve surpassing the prospects of Cardozo/Brooklyn/St John students).

Shorty

New

Post by Shorty » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:01 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
king3780 wrote:
nanaNa wrote:In!

Non-trad, 160/2.8
PT

Complete 1/23

Rock!
Hearing this is painful for me. I'm also a non-trad, PT, with a 157 and 3.16. Went complete 1/16. So how did you get a response sooner? I could see if you were an auto-admit getting a decision sooner, but I would think my slightly lower LSAT is balanced by my slightly higher GPA. Nothing against you, I just want a decision!

No, sorry, those numbers wouldn't balance out. A 158-9 maybe, but you have to remember how much weight is put on the LSAT. A 160 is a lot different than a 157. I bet you'll still get in though!

As for myself, I am EXTREMELY disappointed to not receive an acceptance email today. Rutgers-N is in the top 3 of my realistic choices and people are continuing to get accepted around and below my #'s. :cry: Yes, it makes me sad, haha.
IDK..statistically a 157 and a 160 are in the same score band. The 157 is in the 75%ile and the 160 is in the 80%ile so obviously there's a difference in the score, but a person that scores a 160 is not going to be considered so far more superior than a person that scores a 157. It's the difference between 4 question answered correctly.
On the other hand a higher GPA is something that is maintained over the course of X number of year and classes and can be a far more representative sample.

I just think LSAT and GPA scores as close as the ones described above and with each poster having a different higher numerical score it can be difficult to assess. And it may not be fair to say those numbers don't balance out. If a school has already met it's LSAT median they may be weighing LSAT scores differently towards the end of the admissions cycle.

i was admitted FT back in December with a 161/2.7 and i would have to agree with those ppl that say 2-3 points does make a difference. You're right that it won't DEFINITELY break the deal, but it's a big factor. don't get me wrong, Rutgers definitely looks at softs, not just numbers, and i totally think a high GPA can make up for a low LSAT score, but i would disagree with "slightly higher GPA" being able to balance out a "slightly lower LSAT." it'd be misleading to say that a 157 is comparable to a 160. Exceptions aside, generally it seems the GPA would have to be MUCH higher for it to balance out a lower LSAT score, whereas it seems that for a lower GPA, the LSAT score doesn't have to be sky high to balance it out. I say that 2-3 points CAN be a tie breaker b/c percentile-wise, that puts you in a percentile that's 6-9 higher. I really think a 160 is a huge leap from 157, mostly because raising your score even one point is freaking hard.

That being said, there's so many other things going on in admissions, ESPECIALLY with Rutgers N, that I wouldn't lose hope just yet! Good luck you guys!

bayberrymoon

New

Post by bayberrymoon » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:56 pm

FYI, for those who are sure (or at least fairly sure) they are going to Rutgers-Newark in the fall - looks like someone's already created a facebook group! 8) I happened to do a search for one today, and there it was. (Although, it seems to be started by a student who hasn't been accepted yet...sorry if it's someone on TLS and I missed the memo.) Technically I'm waiting on one other school before I decide; but I'm pretty sure it'll be a ding, so I'll probably be joining the group soon.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?id=29 ... 1953145023

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chiajuiteng

New

Post by chiajuiteng » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:53 pm

sadlyg, I just got a ding from Newark. It came in a snail mail.
My LSAT is 157 and I have very good softs.
I really thought I will get in Newark.
Sigh. :|

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:01 pm

Shorty wrote:
dapoetic1 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
nanaNa wrote:In!

Non-trad, 160/2.8
PT

Complete 1/23

Rock!
Hearing this is painful for me. I'm also a non-trad, PT, with a 157 and 3.16. Went complete 1/16. So how did you get a response sooner? I could see if you were an auto-admit getting a decision sooner, but I would think my slightly lower LSAT is balanced by my slightly higher GPA. Nothing against you, I just want a decision!

No, sorry, those numbers wouldn't balance out. A 158-9 maybe, but you have to remember how much weight is put on the LSAT. A 160 is a lot different than a 157. I bet you'll still get in though!

As for myself, I am EXTREMELY disappointed to not receive an acceptance email today. Rutgers-N is in the top 3 of my realistic choices and people are continuing to get accepted around and below my #'s. :cry: Yes, it makes me sad, haha.
IDK..statistically a 157 and a 160 are in the same score band. The 157 is in the 75%ile and the 160 is in the 80%ile so obviously there's a difference in the score, but a person that scores a 160 is not going to be considered so far more superior than a person that scores a 157. It's the difference between 4 question answered correctly.
On the other hand a higher GPA is something that is maintained over the course of X number of year and classes and can be a far more representative sample.

I just think LSAT and GPA scores as close as the ones described above and with each poster having a different higher numerical score it can be difficult to assess. And it may not be fair to say those numbers don't balance out. If a school has already met it's LSAT median they may be weighing LSAT scores differently towards the end of the admissions cycle.

i was admitted FT back in December with a 161/2.7 and i would have to agree with those ppl that say 2-3 points does make a difference. You're right that it won't DEFINITELY break the deal, but it's a big factor. don't get me wrong, Rutgers definitely looks at softs, not just numbers, and i totally think a high GPA can make up for a low LSAT score, but i would disagree with "slightly higher GPA" being able to balance out a "slightly lower LSAT." it'd be misleading to say that a 157 is comparable to a 160. Exceptions aside, generally it seems the GPA would have to be MUCH higher for it to balance out a lower LSAT score, whereas it seems that for a lower GPA, the LSAT score doesn't have to be sky high to balance it out. I say that 2-3 points CAN be a tie breaker b/c percentile-wise, that puts you in a percentile that's 6-9 higher. I really think a 160 is a huge leap from 157, mostly because raising your score even one point is freaking hard.

That being said, there's so many other things going on in admissions, ESPECIALLY with Rutgers N, that I wouldn't lose hope just yet! Good luck you guys![/quote]

TITCR to the knowledgable.

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:46 am

chiajuiteng wrote:sadlyg, I just got a ding from Newark. It came in a snail mail.
My LSAT is 157 and I have very good softs.
I really thought I will get in Newark.
Sigh. :|

if you dont mind me asking, what was your GPA?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:49 am

I think I'm gonna just bite the bullet and send in my payment to them even though they already deferred me. Ugh, here's to a wasted 50 or 60 bucks that I don't have............... :cry:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”