In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
phooey182

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Postby phooey182 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:45 pm

Got the e-mail, I'm accepted!

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:46 pm

Congrats, phooey! Where are you from? Love the user name, btw lol :D

holmesNYC

Postby holmesNYC » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:43 pm

I want some Rutgers love, damnit.

tikitavi

Postby tikitavi » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:31 pm

Possibly a dumb question, but I got my Rutgers-N packet in the mail today, and the letter said I was awarded $24,000 in Dean's Merit Scholarship funds. I'm away and my mom was reading it to me over the phone so I am not sure what it means. Does this mean $24k/yr or $24k total spread over 3 years? I know I can call on Monday and find out for sure, but I am excited at the prospect of getting a free ride(I am in-state) and want to see if this is actually what they are offering me! Thanks.

caoyun

Postby caoyun » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:44 am

tikitavi wrote:Possibly a dumb question, but I got my Rutgers-N packet in the mail today, and the letter said I was awarded $24,000 in Dean's Merit Scholarship funds. I'm away and my mom was reading it to me over the phone so I am not sure what it means. Does this mean $24k/yr or $24k total spread over 3 years? I know I can call on Monday and find out for sure, but I am excited at the prospect of getting a free ride(I am in-state) and want to see if this is actually what they are offering me! Thanks.

I got the same offer today. At the bottom of the first page, it says your scholarship is renewable each year assuming you receive a 3.0 gpa. I take that to mean it's $24,000 per year as opposed to overall.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:13 pm

tikitavi wrote:Possibly a dumb question, but I got my Rutgers-N packet in the mail today, and the letter said I was awarded $24,000 in Dean's Merit Scholarship funds. I'm away and my mom was reading it to me over the phone so I am not sure what it means. Does this mean $24k/yr or $24k total spread over 3 years? I know I can call on Monday and find out for sure, but I am excited at the prospect of getting a free ride(I am in-state) and want to see if this is actually what they are offering me! Thanks.

With a 178, I assume it is $24k per year. Congrats on that! Would you really consider taking a free ride at Rutgers over Harvard, NYU, Colombia, and the likes? Just wondering :D

Giles Rich

Postby Giles Rich » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:28 pm

Hey Izzies. Did you get the recent email from Anita about all the Rutgers-N events? The Annual Open House seems worthwhile, but do you think those "Small Group Meetings" are worth attending (especially since we've already attended a class)?

dapoetic1

Postby dapoetic1 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:19 pm

For those that have already visited Rutgers did you look around for housing at all?

I've read some old post on LSD about housing options for RN students.

Just wanted to know if anything looks particularly appealing. I've heard Newark can be a tough place to find decent housing, and Hoboken can be overpriced.

I think I'm going to attend the Open House and get a look for myself.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:22 pm

Giles Rich wrote:Hey Izzies. Did you get the recent email from Anita about all the Rutgers-N events? The Annual Open House seems worthwhile, but do you think those "Small Group Meetings" are worth attending (especially since we've already attended a class)?

I got the email, too. I think the Annual Open House looks good, but the small sessions seem like they will be redundant, considering we already met with students and faculty. What do you think?

Giles Rich

Postby Giles Rich » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:20 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
Giles Rich wrote:Hey Izzies. Did you get the recent email from Anita about all the Rutgers-N events? The Annual Open House seems worthwhile, but do you think those "Small Group Meetings" are worth attending (especially since we've already attended a class)?

I got the email, too. I think the Annual Open House looks good, but the small sessions seem like they will be redundant, considering we already met with students and faculty. What do you think?

Yeah, I agree. Probably just the Open House for me.

dapoetic1 wrote:For those that have already visited Rutgers did you look around for housing at all?

I've read some old post on LSD about housing options for RN students.

Just wanted to know if anything looks particularly appealing. I've heard Newark can be a tough place to find decent housing, and Hoboken can be overpriced.

I think I'm going to attend the Open House and get a look for myself.

I already live in the area, so I'm not looking for places, but I have heard some other people talk about living in Newark. Apparently the Ironbound district is pretty cool and most of the students who live in Newark (and aren't on-campus) live there. They said Craigslist is a decent way to find places in the Ironbound or even just driving around and looking for signs. Given Newark's reputation, I would definitely check out specific areas thouroughly (maybe even go there at night) before committing to any particular place.

Also, most people think of looking east when they go outside of Newark (closer to the city), but there are some great, options south and west of Newark. In particular, Morris and Somerset county have some really nice places if you don't want to be in the middle of a crowded city. The commute is only about 20-30 mins.

holmesNYC

Postby holmesNYC » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:01 pm

In via email :mrgreen:
YAY!!

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:09 pm

holmesNYC wrote:In via email :mrgreen:
YAY!!

Congrats!

bayberrymoon

Postby bayberrymoon » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:17 pm

holmesNYC wrote:In via email :mrgreen:
YAY!!

Congrats! :D Is it one of your top choices?

nanaNa

Postby nanaNa » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:59 pm

In!

Non-trad, 160/2.8
PT

Complete 1/23

Rock!

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:59 pm

Congrats to all the recent acceptances!

rodbel24

Postby rodbel24 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:51 pm

Just got in via email... now i have some choices!!! Emory, BK, Penn state and RU-NW

JPetrella18

Postby JPetrella18 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:28 pm

In via email today! Anyone know whether or not they send info on money with the letter?

At this point, I've been admitted to the three strongest contenders for me...Brooklyn, Rutgers, and W&M. No three schools could be more different and I am like, no where close to making a decision about this. Is anyone else feeling like every day makes them less confident about what's the right choice?

I'm also in at Houston, but about to withdraw from them in order to give someone else a spot there. I'm still waiting on seven other schools to make matters worse...UUUUURRRGH :-/

caoyun

Postby caoyun » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:30 pm

JPetrella18 wrote:In via email today! Anyone know whether or not they send info on money with the letter?

At this point, I've been admitted to the three strongest contenders for me...Brooklyn, Rutgers, and W&M. No three schools could be more different and I am like, no where close to making a decision about this. Is anyone else feeling like every day makes them less confident about what's the right choice?

I'm also in at Houston, but about to withdraw from them in order to give someone else a spot there. I'm still waiting on seven other schools to make matters worse...UUUUURRRGH :-/

Merit-based awards are mentioned in a letter accompanying your admissions packet. Congrats! And good luck with choosing!

king3780

Postby king3780 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:24 pm

nanaNa wrote:In!

Non-trad, 160/2.8
PT

Complete 1/23

Rock!

Hearing this is painful for me. I'm also a non-trad, PT, with a 157 and 3.16. Went complete 1/16. So how did you get a response sooner? I could see if you were an auto-admit getting a decision sooner, but I would think my slightly lower LSAT is balanced by my slightly higher GPA. Nothing against you, I just want a decision!

caoyun

Postby caoyun » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:33 pm

king3780 wrote:

Non-trad, 160/2.8
PT

Complete 1/23

Rock!

Hearing this is painful for me. I'm also a non-trad, PT, with a 157 and 3.16. Went complete 1/16. So how did you get a response sooner? I could see if you were an auto-admit getting a decision sooner, but I would think my slightly lower LSAT is balanced by my slightly higher GPA. Nothing against you, I just want a decision!

My guess is that the difference between a 160 and a 157 is much more than the difference between a 2.8 and a 3.16.

That being said, softs/work experience may have played a factor. Not all non-traditionals are exactly the same.
Last edited by caoyun on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:36 pm

king3780 wrote:

Non-trad, 160/2.8
PT

Complete 1/23

Rock!

No, sorry, those numbers wouldn't balance out. A 158-9 maybe, but you have to remember how much weight is put on the LSAT. A 160 is a lot different than a 157. I bet you'll still get in though!

As for myself, I am EXTREMELY disappointed to not receive an acceptance email today. Rutgers-N is in the top 3 of my realistic choices and people are continuing to get accepted around and below my #'s. :cry: Yes, it makes me sad, haha.

king3780

Postby king3780 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:45 pm

caoyun wrote:
king3780 wrote:

Non-trad, 160/2.8
PT

Complete 1/23

Rock!

My guess is that the difference between a 160 and a 157 is much more than the difference between a 2.8 and a 3.16.

That being said, softs/work experience may have played a factor. Not all non-traditionals are exactly the same.

I suppose deep down I knew the LSAT score was more important, I just didn't want to admit it... I'm just getting dang antsy waiting for more acceptances. I'm having trouble imagining having to explain to friends and family where Quinnipiac is and why I would want to go there.

dapoetic1

Postby dapoetic1 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:51 pm

A'nold wrote:
king3780 wrote:

Non-trad, 160/2.8
PT

Complete 1/23

Rock!

No, sorry, those numbers wouldn't balance out. A 158-9 maybe, but you have to remember how much weight is put on the LSAT. A 160 is a lot different than a 157. I bet you'll still get in though!

As for myself, I am EXTREMELY disappointed to not receive an acceptance email today. Rutgers-N is in the top 3 of my realistic choices and people are continuing to get accepted around and below my #'s. :cry: Yes, it makes me sad, haha.

IDK..statistically a 157 and a 160 are in the same score band. The 157 is in the 75%ile and the 160 is in the 80%ile so obviously there's a difference in the score, but a person that scores a 160 is not going to be considered so far more superior than a person that scores a 157. It's the difference between 4 question answered correctly.
On the other hand a higher GPA is something that is maintained over the course of X number of year and classes and can be a far more representative sample.

I just think LSAT and GPA scores as close as the ones described above and with each poster having a different higher numerical score it can be difficult to assess. And it may not be fair to say those numbers don't balance out. If a school has already met it's LSAT median they may be weighing LSAT scores differently towards the end of the admissions cycle.

There's a lot f what-ifs. I wouldn't want the poster with the 157 to think that the points between that score and the 160 will most definitely break the deal. There's a lot that goes into admissions decisions especially at Rutgers-N

tseliot

Postby tseliot » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:52 pm

In via email!

3.47/161, Non-Trad, MA

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:00 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
king3780 wrote:

Non-trad, 160/2.8
PT

Complete 1/23

Rock!

IDK..statistically a 157 and a 160 are in the same score band. The 157 is in the 75%ile and the 160 is in the 80%ile so obviously there's a difference in the score, but a person that scores a 160 is not going to be considered so far more superior than a person that scores a 157. It's the difference between 4 question answered correctly.
On the other hand a higher GPA is something that is maintained over the course of X number of year and classes and can be a far more representative sample.

I just think LSAT and GPA scores as close as the ones described above and with each poster having a different higher numerical score it can be difficult to assess. And it may not be fair to say those numbers don't balance out. If a school has already met it's LSAT median they may be weighing LSAT scores differently towards the end of the admissions cycle.

There's a lot f what-ifs. I wouldn't want the poster with the 157 to think that the points between that score and the 160 will most definitely break the deal. There's a lot that goes into admissions decisions especially at Rutgers-N

I already said I think they will get in, so I don't know where your last few sentences came from.

For your assesment above I'd have to say I disagree. A 160 is looked at A LOT more fondly than a 157, just like a 163 to a 160, etc. Some schools decline based on 1 point such as Emory that has a (I believe) magical 164 cutoff or whatever for normal admits.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”