In at Rutgers Newark!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
IzziesGal

Silver

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by IzziesGal » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:52 am

Any new Rutgers admitted students out there?? :D

klmnumbers

New

Post by klmnumbers » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:54 am

IzziesGal wrote:Any new Rutgers admitted students out there?? :D
I wish! I apped like 2 weeks ago, and they still haven't even told me if I'm complete yet. =( I'm a fan of auto-in state residence with Rutgers-N. hehe

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:57 am

klmnumbers wrote:
I wish! I apped like 2 weeks ago, and they still haven't even told me if I'm complete yet. =( I'm a fan of auto-in state residence with Rutgers-N. hehe
Well, good luck to you!!! Hope to see you back on this thread sometime soon :D

bayberrymoon

New

Post by bayberrymoon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:04 pm

I was admitted back in December, but after a recent ding from Fordham it seems very likely I'll be going to Rutgers-Newark :) It's convenient (I'm in-state, my parents are a 45 min train ride away, and my twin sister will be working even closer to me in NYC); they gave me a nice scholarship; and I hear the job prospects are great. I couldn't make it to the ASD this month, since I'm still a senior in college and had to go back to school before then, but from what I've read on this forum it seems people were impressed.

IzziesGal, I think I've read some of your posts in which you mentioned going to R-N for undergrad. What's it like living in Newark?

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:13 pm

bayberrymoon wrote:
I was admitted back in December, but after a recent ding from Fordham it seems very likely I'll be going to Rutgers-Newark :) It's convenient (I'm in-state, my parents are a 45 min train ride away, and my twin sister will be working even closer to me in NYC); they gave me a nice scholarship; and I hear the job prospects are great. I couldn't make it to the ASD this month, since I'm still a senior in college and had to go back to school before then, but from what I've read on this forum it seems people were impressed.

IzziesGal, I think I've read some of your posts in which you mentioned going to R-N for undergrad. What's it like living in Newark?
Congrats on Rutgers and sorry to hear about Fordham! I always commuted to Rutgers Newark because my old apt and new apt are both really close to campus. I can tell you that the campus is an urban campus, but with an actual campus feel to it. The gym is a block away, the registrar's office is another block away near the soccer field, and there are some good on campus food choices (like Starbucks and Subway) scattered around the undergrad side.

Across the street from the law building is Rob's Pizza, McGovern's Tavern (an Irish police officer owned pub - a popular hangout), a Thai place, and Woodrow's Cafe (they have a really nice outdoor deck on the second floor...great for spring and summer time...and free wireless).

I had one friend who lived on campus and loved it. His building was secure and it seemed like he had a lot of fun. I always felt safe walking around the campus late at night (I spent a lot of late nights in the law library working on my thesis). If you commute, I wouldn't recommend living in Newark. Try the surrounding areas - suburbs: Lyndhurst, North Arlington, Nutley, Rutherford, Montclair or city: Jersey City (the closer to the Hudson, the better the neighborhood). Hoboken is nice, but really pricey for not a lot of space. It also reminds me of one big frat party - lots of drunk, screaming, immature people wandering around half dressed. Not my idea of a nice neighborhood :D Also for a commuter, I would suggest taking the early track of classes - finding parking in either Deck 1 or Deck 2 in the afternoon is a NIGHTMARE. I have literally driven around for an hour waiting for the red cone to be removed from the entrance.

In Newark itself, the Iron Bound district is great - lots of Portuguese and Spanish restaurants and fun things to do, like karaoke (if you're into it...). Also, NJ PAC (NJ Performing Arts Center) is right near the campus, as is the new Prudential Center (hockey / concert arena), and that is definitely adding a lot to the area. I think I've said too much lol...let me know if you have any specific questions!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bayberrymoon

New

Post by bayberrymoon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:08 pm

Wow - thanks for that comprehensive overview! :D

I'm actually thinking of living on campus (in University Square), so one thing I'm wondering: is there a place to get groceries for cooking nearby?

maxima099

New

Post by maxima099 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:18 pm

bayberrymoon wrote:Wow - thanks for that comprehensive overview! :D

I'm actually thinking of living on campus (in University Square), so one thing I'm wondering: is there a place to get groceries for cooking nearby?
your post say 4:08pm when it's only 3:18pm

are you from the future or have I not yet recovered from a wild weekend??

bayberrymoon

New

Post by bayberrymoon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:31 pm

maxima099 wrote:

your post say 4:08pm when it's only 3:18pm

are you from the future or have I not yet recovered from a wild weekend??
Interesting...that post says 2:18 pm for me (I'm in Chicago right now, so 2:18 pm here is 3:18 pm on the East Coast.) Not sure where that 4:08 pm came from :shock:

Maybe it was your weekend. But sounds like it was fun! 8)

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:34 pm

No problem....I loved the campus, to be honest, so I may be a bit biased. I honestly don't know where the local grocery stores are...but I believe there is a current 1L who lives on campus posting on this thread, so you might want to PM him. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

akscoob

New

Post by akscoob » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:06 pm

Hey - i am a 1L at Rutgers Newark and live in University Square. There are a couple of grocery stores close by (about a 5 minute drive). There is a shoprite and pathmark. I have a car so I drive but there is a campus bus that goes once or twice a week that you can take. I think it goes on wednesday nights. If you want specific info on that let me know and I'll get it for you. Also if anyone has any questions about the school, first semester, living on campus, social scene, anything ... just let me know.

Adam

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:16 pm

akscoob wrote:Hey - i am a 1L at Rutgers Newark and live in University Square. There are a couple of grocery stores close by (about a 5 minute drive). There is a shoprite and pathmark. I have a car so I drive but there is a campus bus that goes once or twice a week that you can take. I think it goes on wednesday nights. If you want specific info on that let me know and I'll get it for you. Also if anyone has any questions about the school, first semester, living on campus, social scene, anything ... just let me know.

Adam
Can you talk a little about your experience there, in general? Is it cutthroat, are the professors good, do you feel like your getting a solid legal education, do you feel like there are a lot of opportunities to get involved (internships, clubs), etc? Just in general, what is it like compared to what your 0L expectations were? I'm excited / nervous / anxious / and terrified all at once.... but in a good way :D

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:03 pm

akscoob, if there a possibility of earning a scholarship if you meet a certain ranking?

Giles Rich

New

Post by Giles Rich » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:12 am

LSATfromNC wrote:akscoob, if there a possibility of earning a scholarship if you meet a certain ranking?
At the Open House Rutgers-N had last week, they said they offer scholarships to top students after their 1L year. They also said there are a lot of external scholarships you can apply for after you are in law school and in the past Rutgers-N students have done very well obtaining those scholarships. If you had any specific questions I would contact Nicky Fornarotto in the Financial Aid office there. She is very nice and helpful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

maxima099

New

Post by maxima099 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:49 pm

Giles Rich wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:akscoob, if there a possibility of earning a scholarship if you meet a certain ranking?
At the Open House Rutgers-N had last week, they said they offer scholarships to top students after their 1L year. They also said there are a lot of external scholarships you can apply for after you are in law school and in the past Rutgers-N students have done very well obtaining those scholarships. If you had any specific questions I would contact Nicky Fornarotto in the Financial Aid office there. She is very nice and helpful.
Do you know when the next open house is?

bayberrymoon

New

Post by bayberrymoon » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:15 pm

According to my acceptance email: the main open house is on Friday, March 27th, and information about other events will be sent when the plans are finalized.

jpasqu1

New

Post by jpasqu1 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:18 pm

bayberrymoon wrote:According to my acceptance email: the main open house is on Friday, March 27th, and information about other events will be sent when the plans are finalized.
TITCR

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:53 pm

still waiting........ :x

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:28 pm

phooey182 wrote:still waiting........ :x
I hope you guys here some good news soon!!!!!!!!!!

holmesNYC

New

Post by holmesNYC » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:30 pm

phooey182 wrote:still waiting........ :x
Me too... I really want this acceptance under my belt.

akscoob

New

Post by akscoob » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:15 pm

To answer some questions. I absolutely love the school. It is probably by far one of the least cut throat law schools. With that said, most students work exceptionally hard and want to do well and with a mandatory first year curve you are competing against everyone. It is an extremely friendly environment. Everyone shares outlines and works together. I personally have not witnessed any cut throat behavior. The education is top notch and we have many highly respected professors and they expect a lot out of you. I currently have two professors who clerked for the US Supreme Court.

Social scene is also pretty good. Thursdays after classes you can always find tons of people from school at the local bar which is literally right across the street and on the weekends people all usually go out to Hoboken or Manhattan.

So far it appears that the school offers plenty of opportunities, but of course with the economy the way it is things are slowing down everywhere. 1L's are currently applying for Summer internships. I had 6 interviews so far and 8 scheduled for next week. Not everyone has had this many (i have past experience in the type of law I'm looking to get into) but there are plenty of opportunities. I think it really depends on the type of law you want to practice.

Regarding scholarships: if you are offered a scholarship in your financial aid package you are required to keep a 3.0 gpa which is not extremely difficult. I am not positive how scholarship offers work after your first year but from what I heard you must be at the top of the class (probably 5-10%). I doubt they will offer scholarships beyond that especially because of the budget cuts.

Hope this helps a little. Keep the questions coming and I will try to check this every few days.

akscoob

New

Post by akscoob » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:24 pm

Izziesgal - sorry i just realized i didn't respond to part of your question. The school has far exceeded my expectations. The first semester is really tough mainly because of the unknown. Everyone will give you different advice (the 2L's and 3L's are very approachable and willing to help) but it all comes down to what best works for YOU. It is really easy to start watching what your classmates are doing and worry that they are putting in longer hours, studying differently etc. but the most important advice that I can give after making it through the first semester is figure out a strategy that is best for you and stick to it and not worry about what anyone else is doing. First semester is mainly all about the fear factor. You will have a constant flow of work and it can seem overwhelming at times, but as long as you don't let it stress you out you will be absolutely fine. It really is not that bad.

The school has many clubs some of them are less active then others but from my experience you get out of it what you put in and there are plenty of things to get involved in.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bayberrymoon

New

Post by bayberrymoon » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:25 pm

Thanks akscoob! I'm really liking what I'm hearing about this school.

uncle mike

New

Post by uncle mike » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:25 pm

I just received large white envelope with acceptance letter and $8,000 annual scholarship (2L and 3L 3.0 GPA requirement).

164/3.2; applied 12/31, complete 1/6; in-state

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:07 am

uncle mike wrote:I just received large white envelope with acceptance letter and $8,000 annual scholarship (2L and 3L 3.0 GPA requirement).

164/3.2; applied 12/31, complete 1/6; in-state
Congrats!!! Is it a top contender for you?

Giles Rich

New

Post by Giles Rich » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:11 am

IzziesGal wrote:
Congrats!!! Is it a top contender for you?
Hey, any headway on the RN v. Minn decision?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”