In at Rutgers Newark!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
passitback

New

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by passitback » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:11 pm

I would love to know what type of internship opportunities are made available to us. In addition, are they paid intern ships, and if so, how difficult are they to obtain?

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:14 pm

holmesNYC wrote:
dapoetic1 wrote: What is MSP? I understnad it's a post admissions program that provides mentoring, internships.....whatever! Is it only for a week, a semester, all 3 years.
What do you have to do for the 2 weeks in the dorm? Are there more requirements during school? Are there additinal classes required?
I believe if you wanted to be considered for the MSP, you had to indicate so on the application.
Right, I understand it's post-admission.
My question is what does it provide, what are the requirements, is there an extra class involved, how long is this program etc.?

losjeans

New

Post by losjeans » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:15 pm

I'm attending in the Fall, commuting from Jersey City.

JPetrella18

New

Post by JPetrella18 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:48 pm

losjeans wrote:I'm attending in the Fall, commuting from Jersey City.
Awesome! It must feel amazing to be able to finally say you know where the hell you're going to be in August...I can't wait, though I'm not entirely thrilled about having to actually like, MAKE the call. This is easily amongst the hardest decisions of my life. I'm deciding between doing exactly what you're doing...going basically free ride at Rutgers and commuting from JC or Hoboken, going to William and Mary, or Cardozo assuming they ever get back to me (with some cash :-P).

I worked in real estate in Hudson County for a while, so PM me if you have any questions about finding an apartment in JC!

Best of luck!!!

losjeans

New

Post by losjeans » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:12 pm

JPetrella18 wrote:Awesome! It must feel amazing to be able to finally say you know where the hell you're going to be in August...I can't wait, though I'm not entirely thrilled about having to actually like, MAKE the call. This is easily amongst the hardest decisions of my life. I'm deciding between doing exactly what you're doing...going basically free ride at Rutgers and commuting from JC or Hoboken, going to William and Mary, or Cardozo assuming they ever get back to me (with some cash :-P).

I worked in real estate in Hudson County for a while, so PM me if you have any questions about finding an apartment in JC!

Best of luck!!!
It's really nice having made the commitment, and I'm happy with it. You've got quite the choice ahead, I was admitted somewhat early on at Rutgers and it seemed like a great fit for me so I'd been pretty much decided since then. I'm probably overly decisive in general though.

And I recently moved to the Newport area from out of state, I was in a PhD program previously. But thanks for the offer I would have definitely taken you up on that otherwise. Good luck with your decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesouthside

New

Post by thesouthside » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:38 am

-

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:37 pm

Anyone that's comitted to Rutgers start looking into housing.
I've heard the Ironbound is a great neighborhood, but I've recently seen that they're doing a lot of revitalization to the downtown Newark area. They're adding a lot of condos and apartments to make it more friendly and more of an upscale urban neithborhood with jobs, apartments, food, and bars.
Anyone been to Newark recently and want to comment?

losjeans

New

Post by losjeans » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:16 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:Anyone been to Newark recently and want to comment?
Despite being on the upswing, the idea of living in Newark didn't take with me personally. I didn't like the places I looked at, or the area they were in; they were mostly in downtown Newark. If I were to live in Newark I think I'd live on campus, otherwise I'd live in JC (which I do) or Hoboken. That's just my take, I've talked to current students on here who do enjoy living there, so for your sake don't let me be the only one who colors your view.

passitback

New

Post by passitback » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:08 pm

I will preface this post / inquiry by letting you know I am married with two children.

Rutgers-Newark: $20,860.00 (day in-state resident), and $31,054.00 (day out-of-state resident).

Housing: University Square, $10,473.00
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Total: $31,333 (day in-state resident)

I live in NY. For a difference of less than $300.00, I will have the luxury of dorming, and going home on the weekend "to see my family." The drive home is 45 minutes.

Or, I can commute to Rutgers everyday via trains -two hours each way. Tack on 300+ bucks per month for train passes, and it will actually cost me more to commute.

This sounds like a no-brainer to me, but what would you do in my situation?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:26 am

passitback wrote:I will preface this post / inquiry by letting you know I am married with two children.

Rutgers-Newark: $20,860.00 (day in-state resident), and $31,054.00 (day out-of-state resident).

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I live in NY. For a difference of less than $300.00, I will have the luxury of dorming, and going home on the weekend "to see my family." The drive home is 45 minutes.

Or, I can commute to Rutgers everyday via trains -two hours each way. Tack on 300+ bucks per month for train passes, and it will actually cost me more to commute.

im confused as hell, so you become a resident if you dorm? and lets say in your case you live in NY, then your tuition is 31,333 including dorming?

jpasqu1

New

Post by jpasqu1 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:35 am

Zeph wrote:
passitback wrote:I will preface this post / inquiry by letting you know I am married with two children.

im confused as hell, so you become a resident if you dorm? and lets say in your case you live in NY, then your tuition is 31,333 including dorming?

If you get a 12 month lease on an apartment or live in the dorm, you get in state tuition. It is on the website someplace and was mentioned by the administration at the ASD.

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:36 am

jpasqu1 wrote:
Zeph wrote:

If you get a 12 month lease on an apartment or live in the dorm, you get in state tuition. It is on the website someplace and was mentioned by the administration at the ASD.

seems like the little bit extra might be worth it then.

skamanindc

New

Post by skamanindc » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:58 am

ok everyone--i know its an old debate, but I still can't decide? Rutgers or Seton Hall? I got enough schollarships from both that the price is even. I like SH's facilities a lot more. But the most important thing is getting a job when I come out. I want BIgLaw, not necessarily in NY, I will be happy with Jersey or even Philly, but BigLaw. Where should I go?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

skamanindc

New

Post by skamanindc » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:01 am

This doesn't make sense to me. You would and end up paying the same amount as you would for tuition if you wouldn't dorm? Yet, you would still be paying your rent/mortgage to wherever you live in NY. You'll be paying MORE money by dorming, and you don't get to see your family. If your family can move, than have 'em all move to jersey, real estate is cheaper anyway. If they can't, than stay in NY and commute.

passitback

New

Post by passitback » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:25 am

skamanindc wrote:

This doesn't make sense to me. You would and end up paying the same amount as you would for tuition if you wouldn't dorm? Yet, you would still be paying your rent/mortgage to wherever you live in NY. You'll be paying MORE money by dorming, and you don't get to see your family. If your family can move, than have 'em all move to jersey, real estate is cheaper anyway. If they can't, than stay in NY and commute.
I should have included that my wife and children are more than happy living with my mother -probably for free :) She offered a few months ago, and we may take her up on it. Ideally, they'd be with me, but it will cost way too much. Plus, the schools in Newark suck, and my daughter does well academically. Therefore, Brick City, NJ is out for the kids.

I will get to see my family whenever I want. Newark is about a forty-five minute ride from my home. I can leave Newark every weekend if I choose.

In short, I want to get the best grades possible, so commuting as a 1L is NOT a great idea.

I appreciate the feedback folks.

I may consider a move to JC or Hoboken if the situation was right...

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:34 am

So I was bored and read my Rutgers Deferral email again, and it says the latest we should hear back is mid-April....

The suspense is killing me, I want in lol

Wrote a LOCI and updated my transcript, so not sure if anything else will help at this point.

any deferrals hear anything yet?

skamanindc

New

Post by skamanindc » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:44 am

ahhh time to decide is running out, someone help me!!! Seton Hall or Rutgers!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

holmesNYC

New

Post by holmesNYC » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:31 pm

passitback wrote:
skamanindc wrote:

I should have included that my wife and children are more than happy living with my mother -probably for free :) She offered a few months ago, and we may take her up on it. Ideally, they'd be with me, but it will cost way too much. Plus, the schools in Newark suck, and my daughter does well academically. Therefore, Brick City, NJ is out for the kids.

I will get to see my family whenever I want. Newark is about a forty-five minute ride from my home. I can leave Newark every weekend if I choose.

In short, I want to get the best grades possible, so commuting as a 1L is NOT a great idea.

I think that this is a great option for you. I was also considering this, but I'd still be responsible for rent in my current apartment so it's not as clear-cut as your situation. If your family can live for free and it wouldn't be an undue burden on anyone, I think it may work out very well.

skamanindc

New

Post by skamanindc » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:52 pm

holmesNYC wrote:
passitback wrote:
skamanindc wrote:

I think that this is a great option for you. I was also considering this, but I'd still be responsible for rent in my current apartment so it's not as clear-cut as your situation. If your family can live for free and it wouldn't be an undue burden on anyone, I think it may work out very well.
Do you have relatives in Jersey? If so, use their house as your mailing adress, stay home with your fam and still enjoy in-state tuition! Obviously you would have to get a NJ license and register to vote in Jersey using your Jersey relative's address.

skamanindc

New

Post by skamanindc » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:52 pm

and youll live for free with your mother or mother in law, whichever one it was (i forgot)!

PhantaManta

Bronze

Post by PhantaManta » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:55 pm

R-N >>>> SH

IMO.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

skamanindc

New

Post by skamanindc » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:43 pm

PhantaManta wrote:R-N >>>> SH

IMO.
what is the basis for your oppinon?

passitback

New

Post by passitback » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:55 pm

skamanindc wrote:and youll live for free with your mother or mother in law, whichever one it was (i forgot)!
LMAO, I'll pass. I prefer to not live in the same house as my mom.

My wife, on the other hand, will be able to keep her job, and my kids could attend great schools.

Here's a new monkey-wrench. Pace offered me 22K per year. I live ten minutes from White Plains. I wonder if R-N will offer me a competitive rate.

FWIW: R-N is where I'd prefer to study law; however, the debt I will leave with is pretty scary...

I appreciate the feedback, interesting dialogue. Keep it coming.

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:02 pm

passitback wrote:
skamanindc wrote:and youll live for free with your mother or mother in law, whichever one it was (i forgot)!
LMAO, I'll pass. I prefer to not live in the same house as my mom.

My wife, on the other hand, will be able to keep her job, and my kids could attend great schools.

Here's a new monkey-wrench. Pace offered me 22K per year. I live ten minutes from White Plains. I wonder if R-N will offer me a competitive rate.

FWIW: R-N is where I'd prefer to study law; however, the debt I will leave with is pretty scary...

10 minute commute+white plains+ less debt is nice, but that is something you will have to figure out duder =/

holmesNYC

New

Post by holmesNYC » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:59 pm

passitback wrote: LMAO, I'll pass. I prefer to not live in the same house as my mom.

FWIW, Pace offered me 24k per year and Rutgers offered me zip, but I just mailed in my withdrawal to Pace this morning. The debt is scary, but I'd much prefer the Rutgers degree.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”