In at Rutgers Newark!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dapoetic1

Bronze

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by dapoetic1 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:09 pm

bobothecat wrote:yay I'm in! quickest turnaround given that I applied on the deadline of 3/15. I look forward to visiting....
CONGRATS!!!!

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:10 pm

king3780 wrote:
losjeans wrote:
dapoetic1 wrote:Oh! I didn't attend ASD--what was the gist of the conversation? I've actually never hear or read Rutgers' opinion on USN.
I'll try to recall it the best I can, hopefully someone else will chime in. Someone asked a question about how well they place in corporate law firms, which led the Professor straight into US News talk. One of the things pointed out is that the part-time program is roughly as stringent as the full-time program, which is a way other schools "game" the rankings. That may be not be news to you.

Also, other schools take a lot of transfers as another way to manipulate their ranking, and Rutgers doesn't do this; that is, they don't like transfers (in or out), and his advice was to go to the school you want to go to, don't go to Rutgers or any school to transfer.

One of the most striking things that was said, for me personally, was that they "won't compromise their integrity to move up in the rankings." I really got a sense that they are committed to producing quality lawyers. And they really talked up the reputation of the school (which schools don't might be more interesting to note), and their commitment to diversity. The commitment to diversity probably makes them take a hit in the rankings, as they want to put together a widely represented class.

They were one of the first schools to institute clinics, according to them, and the first school to have a female student body of over (or near?) fifty percent. I got a sense that despite a lower ranking, they aren't a second-rate school, nor are they behind the times; in fact I got the impression that they are trying to lead the way, in a sense.

Edit: I almost lost this post due to the notification that a new post had been made. Whew..
Excellent summary, losjeans. I was at the ASD and this is a very accurate portrayal of what was said. Adding to the comment about not caring about rankings, I got the sense that the administration sees things the way many people on here do when comparing, say, Seton Hall with Rutgers. Yeah, SH is ranked a dozen or so spots higher, but really Rutgers has more history, better placement and better alumni. Surpisingly to me, the Rutgers name appears to carry more significant weight for lay people than expected. My little sister goes to school in California and many people she knows were impressed that I was going to Rutgers (versus where I live in Pennsylvania no one has heard of my undergrad, Cal Poly). Basically, the feeling I got was that the administration firmly believes that as long as R-N produces solid, capable lawyers, it will continue to be a well-respected school that places well.

Having lived in New Jersey all my life, I can tell you that, at least here, Rutgers has a much better reputation than Seton Hall. Now don't get me wrong, I like Seton Hall. It's my undergraduate institution. And for undergrad, I'd say the two are pretty comparable. But when it comes to law, most people around here are much more impressed with Rutgers than SHU. That being said, there are exceptions. For patent law, Seton Hall has a terrific reputation around these parts. And they have connections to the pharmaceutical industry that really strengthens their patent law program. But overall, Rutgers is much more highly regarded for law in New Jersey. At least from what I've seen.

holmesNYC

New

Post by holmesNYC » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:11 pm

losjeans wrote:
dapoetic1 wrote:Out of curiosity...for those that are 100% sold on Rutgers what did it for you?

For me it was reputation in PA/NJ/NY legal market, in-house legal clinics (of interest to me), proximity to NYC, and relatively cheap tuition.
All those reasons, plus transparency in employment statistics. Also, I enjoy their sober view on US News rankings which they promulgated at the ASD.

^^^^^^^^^^
all of the above

losjeans

New

Post by losjeans » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:11 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:HELL YEAH!!!!!
I like that they have a little attitude.
They also intimated that other schools in the area aren't entirely honest with their employment prospects, which shouldn't be news either really. There's quite a bit on the web regarding this. Moreover Rutgers takes all kinds, for instance the current 1L I spoke with turned down Columbia and NYU at full price for Rutgers for free. Maybe that's an anomaly there, I can't say, but it's promising.

losjeans

New

Post by losjeans » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:17 pm

king3780 wrote:Excellent summary, losjeans. I was at the ASD and this is a very accurate portrayal of what was said. Adding to the comment about not caring about rankings, I got the sense that the administration sees things the way many people on here do when comparing, say, Seton Hall with Rutgers. Yeah, SH is ranked a dozen or so spots higher, but really Rutgers has more history, better placement and better alumni. Surpisingly to me, the Rutgers name appears to carry more significant weight for lay people than expected. My little sister goes to school in California and many people she knows were impressed that I was going to Rutgers (versus where I live in Pennsylvania no one has heard of my undergrad, Cal Poly). Basically, the feeling I got was that the administration firmly believes that as long as R-N produces solid, capable lawyers, it will continue to be a well-respected school that places well.
Thanks! Also considering that the tri-state area is filled with Rutgers products, undergrad and otherwise, ought to provide strong connections.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

holmesNYC

New

Post by holmesNYC » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:22 pm

Think they'll give us one of these or do we have to fork over the cash?

--LinkRemoved--

losjeans

New

Post by losjeans » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:28 pm

holmesNYC wrote:Think they'll give us one of these or do we have to fork over the cash?

--LinkRemoved--
Awesome, I've been looking for something like that.

maxima099

New

Post by maxima099 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:10 pm

losjeans wrote:
They also intimated that other schools in the area aren't entirely honest with their employment prospects, which shouldn't be news either really. There's quite a bit on the web regarding this. Moreover Rutgers takes all kinds, for instance the current 1L I spoke with turned down Columbia and NYU at full price for Rutgers for free. Maybe that's an anomaly there, I can't say, but it's promising.
Was your 1L a woman from princeton?

holmesNYC

New

Post by holmesNYC » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:06 pm

maxima099 wrote:
losjeans wrote:
I also spoke with this 1L, unless all of the current students were feeding us the same story...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

losjeans

New

Post by losjeans » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:00 pm

maxima099 wrote:
losjeans wrote:
I think so, but I'm not positive. The table was by a pillar and had no tables between it and the stairway.

bobothecat

New

Post by bobothecat » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:22 pm

oh man, I just realized I forgot to send them FAFSA before the deadline...was there anyone who got scholarship without sending FAFSA?

Thanks!

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:35 pm

bobothecat wrote:oh man, I just realized I forgot to send them FAFSA before the deadline...was there anyone who got scholarship without sending FAFSA?

Thanks!
Scholarships that have been given out are merit-based, FAFSA helps determine need.

maxima099

New

Post by maxima099 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:38 am

Has anyone recieved their financial aid package yet? Any word on when we should recieve it?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OnAMission

New

Post by OnAMission » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:04 am

I also got the email yesterday! Great to have the weight lifted off my chest! Good luck to everyone still waiting...

magnumxlv

New

Post by magnumxlv » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:34 am

maxima099 wrote:Has anyone recieved their financial aid package yet? Any word on when we should recieve it?
I recieved mine a looooong time ago (month+). Applied 1/20 and was admitted end of Feburary.

bobothecat

New

Post by bobothecat » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:33 am

king3780 wrote:
bobothecat wrote:oh man, I just realized I forgot to send them FAFSA before the deadline...was there anyone who got scholarship without sending FAFSA?

Thanks!
Scholarships that have been given out are merit-based, FAFSA helps determine need.
Thanks for the clarification!! Thats what I thought as well untill I saw this under the same bullet point on the website, but yup, what you said sounds right:
Financial aid is awarded based on need. FAFSA forms must be completed by March 15. A number of Dean's/Academic Scholarships are available.

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:26 am

OnAMission wrote:I also got the email yesterday! Great to have the weight lifted off my chest! Good luck to everyone still waiting...
were you on hold or just a regular acceptance?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:39 am

magnumxlv wrote:
maxima099 wrote:Has anyone recieved their financial aid package yet? Any word on when we should recieve it?
I recieved mine a looooong time ago (month+). Applied 1/20 and was admitted end of Feburary.
Depends on what you mean by financial aid package. Merit-based scholarships came out a while back. At the ASD, the financial aid lady said everyone gets a form letter with Staffords and whatnot in March/April. Actual packages won't come until July, IIRC.

SillySil

New

Post by SillySil » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:08 am

king3780 wrote:
magnumxlv wrote:
Depends on what you mean by financial aid package. Merit-based scholarships came out a while back. At the ASD, the financial aid lady said everyone gets a form letter with Staffords and whatnot in March/April. Actual packages won't come until July, IIRC.
Did the merit scholarship info come in your acceptance email? Or the actual acceptance package?

lawlschoolcandid

New

Post by lawlschoolcandid » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:15 am

SillySil wrote:
king3780 wrote:
magnumxlv wrote:
Did the merit scholarship info come in your acceptance email? Or the actual acceptance package?
I also have this question, since I haven't gotten my package yet.

OnAMission

New

Post by OnAMission » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:03 am

Zeph wrote:
OnAMission wrote:I also got the email yesterday! Great to have the weight lifted off my chest! Good luck to everyone still waiting...
It was regular acceptance... Are you currently on hold?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

olesya154

New

Post by olesya154 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:21 am

Zeph wrote:
No luck for us Zeph! :D I wonder how they are going to notify so many people before April 15th with the holidays and all...

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:24 am

Have any of you check the R-N status checker?

Although this particular status checker has a tendency to be inaccurate it can in fact show a decision that has been made on your application. I found out via status checker in december, but didn't get my acceptance packet in the mail until mid-Feb. and I never actually received an acceptance email until I called and asked if the status checker was correct.

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:48 am

OnAMission wrote:
Zeph wrote:

Yep currently on hold and my numbers are competitive for Rutgers =/

ahh i want to go here so bad, Dapoetic1 I already have a tar picked out if i make it ;)

Giles Rich

New

Post by Giles Rich » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:55 am

Zeph wrote:
OnAMission wrote:
Zeph wrote:

Yep currently on hold and my numbers are competitive for Rutgers =/

ahh i want to go here so bad, Dapoetic1 I already have a tar picked out if i make it ;)
Zeph, I withdrew from RN and I'm hoping my spot goes to you. Good luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”