In at Rutgers Newark!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawlschoolcandid

New

Re: In at Rutgers Newark!!!

Post by lawlschoolcandid » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:13 pm

Zeph wrote:is the admissions office open today? lol

hope they are sending out emails ;)
I received a brief e-mail from Dean Walton this morning in response to something I'd asked. I was admitted earlier this week though. (Complete as of last week)

GL Zeph!

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:14 pm

lawlschoolcandid wrote:
Zeph wrote:is the admissions office open today? lol

hope they are sending out emails ;)
I received a brief e-mail from Dean Walton this morning in response to something I'd asked. I was admitted earlier this week though. (Complete as of last week)

GL Zeph!

ouy i hope...

futurejd

New

Post by futurejd » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:45 pm

OnAMission wrote:
olesya154 wrote:The only thing my status checker is displaying is my LSAT score :(
I was accepted yesterday and today when I checked the status checker it still says "No Decision". So I wouldn't invest any effort worrying about what the status checker displays...
Hey where is the link for the Rutgers Newark's status checker? I never received the link to it. Thanks

SillySil

New

Post by SillySil » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:21 pm

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:31 pm

withdrew today with scholly...hope it gets to one of you waiting...good luck all

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:53 pm

jrock12 wrote:withdrew today with scholly...hope it gets to one of you waiting...good luck all

youre the man now dog

Maniche018

New

Post by Maniche018 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:11 pm

Hi Everyone-
Just discovered these forums

Received my acceptance email 3/31. Stil awaiting the physical package.
In-State and PT

Haven't heard from any other schools. But I also applied right around the deadline.

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:29 pm

Zeph wrote:
jrock12 wrote:withdrew today with scholly...hope it gets to one of you waiting...good luck all

youre the man now dog
Finding Forrester?

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:06 pm

king3780 wrote:
Zeph wrote:

youre the man now dog
Finding Forrester?

yes, but more like the website that makes fun of it ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

futurejd

New

Post by futurejd » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:43 pm

Thank you. Had no idea they existed. Don't know what's taking so long.

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:31 am

So since I didnt hear from rutgers yet, I have to put a deposit somewhere. Its between st johns and seton hall. Any ideas?

The second I get into rutgers, I will withdraw from either school and attend rutgers, but until then i need to go somewhere =/

nocalls4jeff

New

Post by nocalls4jeff » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:04 pm

Zeph wrote:So since I didnt hear from rutgers yet, I have to put a deposit somewhere. Its between st johns and seton hall. Any ideas?

The second I get into rutgers, I will withdraw from either school and attend rutgers, but until then i need to go somewhere =/
From what I understand St. John's is quite poor in academics and their student body isn't cohesive. If I had to choose between those two, I'd pick Seton Hall - unless St. John's gave you awesome $$$. I've meet several attorneys who graduated from Seton Hall & they all liked it there. (I haven't meet any St. John's alumni)

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:47 pm

nocalls4jeff wrote:
Zeph wrote:So since I didnt hear from rutgers yet, I have to put a deposit somewhere. Its between st johns and seton hall. Any ideas?

From what I understand St. John's is quite poor in academics and their student body isn't cohesive. If I had to choose between those two, I'd pick Seton Hall - unless St. John's gave you awesome $$$. I've meet several attorneys who graduated from Seton Hall & they all liked it there. (I haven't meet any St. John's alumni)
yeah, im getting mixed reviews for both =/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

losjeans

New

Post by losjeans » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:17 pm

Zeph wrote:yeah, im getting mixed reviews for both =/
Have you sent a LOCI or the like? If I were you, I would really try to sell 'why Rutgers'. Mention some characteristics or experiences that you could bring which would add diversity to the class, since as you probably know they highly value diversity. Given that you're on hold and considering that your numbers are good, seems to suggest maybe they aren't sure about other aspects of your file. Good luck.

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:12 pm

losjeans wrote:
Have you sent a LOCI or the like? If I were you, I would really try to sell 'why Rutgers'. Mention some characteristics or experiences that you could bring which would add diversity to the class, since as you probably know they highly value diversity. Given that you're on hold and considering that your numbers are good, seems to suggest maybe they aren't sure about other aspects of your file. Good luck.

yeah already sent in a LOCI, and I called dean Walton and she basically told me to sit tight for now

losjeans

New

Post by losjeans » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:45 pm

Zeph wrote:
losjeans wrote:

yeah already sent in a LOCI, and I called dean Walton and she basically told me to sit tight for now
Ah I see, disregard my message. It sounds like you've done all you can do at this point. I bet Dean Walton pulls through for you, she's a very nice woman.

bobothecat

New

Post by bobothecat » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:02 pm

Hi,

I've only just gotten my acceptance package but nothing from finaid yet so I was wondering if anyone knows if they sent the residency requirements to qualify for in-state tuition? I know if you sign a year lease you can get in-state but would like to know what the full requirements are beyond that. Their website doesn't seem too helpful in providing this.

Thanks!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:51 pm

bobothecat wrote:Hi,

I've only just gotten my acceptance package but nothing from finaid yet so I was wondering if anyone knows if they sent the residency requirements to qualify for in-state tuition? I know if you sign a year lease you can get in-state but would like to know what the full requirements are beyond that. Their website doesn't seem too helpful in providing this.

Thanks!!
What else do you want to know, beyond that? You sign a year lease sometime before classes start and you get in-state tuition immediately. If you sign a year lease by July 1, there's less paperwork to do. Nothing too complicated about it.

bobothecat

New

Post by bobothecat » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:43 am

king3780 wrote:

Thanks!!
What else do you want to know, beyond that? You sign a year lease sometime before classes start and you get in-state tuition immediately. If you sign a year lease by July 1, there's less paperwork to do. Nothing too complicated about it.
Citizen/PR/AP etc requirements...

nocalls4jeff

New

Post by nocalls4jeff » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:52 am

bobothecat wrote:
king3780 wrote:

Thanks!!
Citizen/PR/AP etc requirements...
From Rutgers website: --LinkRemoved--

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:55 am

hopefully we see some activity in here today ;)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:09 pm

Hi guys

I was just visiting with Dean Walton (yes they were open last week)!!! So for future reference you don't get off any extra days around Easter. Although all classes do let out early on Fridays.

There are probably 20 or so stacks of about 20-30 application sitting on the dean's office floor. And they all have sticky notes with completion dates. I saw some mid-late March completion dates and some April completion dates. She said they received 1200 applications in the 2 weeks leading up to the deadline----so they're swamped!!!! she is most certainly actively looking through everyone's files (even yours zeph)

So don't give up hope they are still admitting students. They take a lot of time and care into admitting a great, well rounded group. They don't just skim through the files. The Dean personally reads the personal statements. maybe not every single one of them, but probably 75% or more. So just know if you haven't seen any action you're still in the running.

As far as residency the board of Regents in New Jersey says that anyone that has a domicile in NJ is considered a resident for the purpose of school. If you have a 12 month or more lease in NJ before the first day of classes (Aug 24) either on or off campus you will get in-state residency. She said the assumption is that you will do all the other things that go along with being a NJ resident like registering to vote, car registration, drivers lisence but there will not be anyone checking to make sure you do those things. Obviously if you can get your NJ address/lease agreement to her before the first term bill comes out it makes it eaiser. That way they don't have to mail it to one address and then mail it to your new address. But that's just for ease sake. The big thing is that by the first day of class you need to make it happen.

If you move after school starts (say you're commuting from PA or NY) then you can get in-state the next semsester. It's pretty 1-2-3.

If you have completed a FAFSA then you've done all you need to do for financial aid purposes. If you didn't get a scholly w/ your acceptance packet you probably don't have one coming. PROBABLY!!! There could always be a little surprise later down the road. The Rutgers University Board has not come out with tuition/fees for 2009-10 so the law school fin-aid does not yet have next years numbers and therefore can not produce the official student budget. However, this info is supposed to come out at the end of this month. That means that around the first week in May you should get a more specific student budget from the school stating tuition, fees, and estimated Cost of Attendance. This should also include the amount of Federal Loans you have been approved for, and any other scholarship you received. Nikki Fonoratto the fin-aid director will be sending this out to everyone and as long as your FAFSA is done and you included Rutgers as one of the schools to receive the info you're good to go!

Side note: a very good friend of mine graduated from St. John's in 2007. He currently works for a fairly decent firm doing IP stuff. He went to undergrad at NYU and decided on law school rather late. He only applied to St. J, Brooklyn and NYLS. He said that around his 2L year it was apparent that employers thought mor highly of Brooklyn than St J. but obviously he still got a job. Different times different issues. but his biggest complaints were the student body seemed disgruntled because most wanted to attend some other school in NY but didn't get in (and I'm not saying this these were his words based on the impression of his classmates). Many tried to transfer to other schools. But his overall experience was not that great. Everyone is a different individual and most things are what you make them. So if everyone goes in with a positive attitude that it'll be the best 3 years of your life then it'll be what you make it. If you initial intent is to walk around with a sour face because you got rejected from CLS or NYU and St J (or whatever school) is your backup and you hate it from day 1 then that vibe is going to rub off on everyone there. Eventually it will become a self fulfilling prophecy.
Sermon complete.

good luck to everyone still waiting. I can't wait to meet you guys in the fall

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:56 pm

thanks for the response, ill keep my fingers crossed :)
Last edited by Zeph on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:29 pm

Hey zeph,

I really wish I could tell you something accurate! The best I can do is just guess, and my guess is as good as yours. Anita definitely said that the huge amount of applications this year made it extra tough to get decisions out sooner. I think all the people that applied close to the deadline may not have a great chance. Anita said they expected to enroll only about 180 people, but that this year the class may be a little larger due to the volume of applications, but that it wouldn't be much larger. So it's a really small class size. I wish I had some better info on admissions or deferred apps..unfortunately I don't.

If you haven't already (and if you're able) definitely make an appointment to speak with Dean Walton in person. Get your name and face in her head. Not that that's a guarantee that you'll get a spot but it can't hurt.

passitback

New

Post by passitback » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:47 pm

I will probably HAVE to withdraw my application due to extenuating circumstances. I hope my seat in this class goes to one of you guys. You sound like a great group of students to study with. It'd have been my pleasure to buy some rounds for you all at McGoverns... Everything happens for a reason I suppose.

FWIW: I will not be attending any law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”