University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DTgator

Re: University of Florida

Postby DTgator » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:29 pm

Decision pending since 2/19, is this a good sign? How long to find out? 157/3.86, working full time the past 4 years

ShiftyPig

Postby ShiftyPig » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:38 pm

Interesting read over the past few pages.... I took a tour this afternoon as all the fun was going down. The IT people were probably at the ice cream social in the courtyard.

Regarding the smaller 1L class size.... yes, they are aiming for 300 next year. A section is being eliminated versus smaller section sizes. My tour guide said that the goal, besides the obvious ranking aim, is that the school has been hiring part-time professors to teach some classes and wants to eliminate some of the costs at the 1L level to hire permanent staff. Example given was that one of his professors cancelled on a weeks notice and the school had to find a replacement in five-six days.

Library: nice. Quiet room seemed a little oppressive.
Opposite side of the building is going under renovation after the new courtroom is finished. Not sure what kind of noise will come from that.

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:41 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby 06072010 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:42 pm

AJaKe wrote:
ShiftyPig wrote:Regarding the smaller 1L class size.... yes, they are aiming for 300 next year. A section is being eliminated versus smaller section sizes. My tour guide said that the goal, besides the obvious ranking aim, is that the school has been hiring part-time professors to teach some classes and wants to eliminate some of the costs at the 1L level to hire permanent staff. Example given was that one of his professors cancelled on a weeks notice and the school had to find a replacement in five-six days.

Professor canceled? As in ... quit? Or just took like a vacay?

That was the professor who filed a discrimination suit.

ShiftyPig

Postby ShiftyPig » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:44 pm

PKSebben wrote:
AJaKe wrote:
ShiftyPig wrote:Regarding the smaller 1L class size.... yes, they are aiming for 300 next year. A section is being eliminated versus smaller section sizes. My tour guide said that the goal, besides the obvious ranking aim, is that the school has been hiring part-time professors to teach some classes and wants to eliminate some of the costs at the 1L level to hire permanent staff. Example given was that one of his professors cancelled on a weeks notice and the school had to find a replacement in five-six days.

Professor canceled? As in ... quit? Or just took like a vacay?

That was the professor who filed a discrimination suit.

Is that a recent suit? My tour guide was a 1L so it would have been this semester or last.

Edit: Yeah, could have been... the last time I saw a reference to that suit it was in conjunction with an early 2000 NYT article... actually I believe you posted the link.
Last edited by ShiftyPig on Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:45 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jpin22

Postby jpin22 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:47 pm

This reduced class size has me worried... Plus i would have to imagine there is an increase in apps due to the economy.

ShiftyPig

Postby ShiftyPig » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:49 pm

The professor who filed suit left in 2007.... I think he was referring to a different circumstance.

Postby 06072010 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:51 pm

Perhaps they are different situations. I didn't hear any grumblings about a 1L prof ditching a week before. Beware the 1L gossip-wagon.

ShiftyPig

Postby ShiftyPig » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:54 pm

PKSebben wrote:Perhaps they are different situations. I didn't hear any grumblings about a 1L prof ditching a week before. Beware the 1L gossip-wagon.

Very true.... both tour guides seemed in awe of the Law Review, whereas my tour guide at William and Mary was the editor.

flhealth

Postby flhealth » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:01 am

status checker still not "fixed"

project40

Postby project40 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:22 am

blank yesterday...

under review decision pending today

think i might be the first wave of rejections to be honest haha

159/3.35 urm

we'll see what happens

flhealth

Postby flhealth » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:28 am

project40 wrote:blank yesterday...

159/3.35 urm

we'll see what happens

actually mine just reappeared, under review, decision pending....hoping for the best, preparing for the worst

Edge427

Postby Edge427 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:56 am

flhealth wrote:
project40 wrote:blank yesterday...

159/3.35 urm

we'll see what happens

actually mine just reappeared, under review, decision pending....hoping for the best, preparing for the worst

+1, with yesterday's date. Was blank yesterday.

Trying to stay positive!

Boyk1182

Postby Boyk1182 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:03 am

project40 wrote:think i might be the first wave of rejections to be honest haha

159/3.35 urm

Dude, like I said before, I don't see how you could possibly get rejected with your numbers and as a URM...
Mine went to "decision pending" today as well... I'm pretty borderline so maybe a waitlist I'd guess :?

P.S. What's the consensus on "decision pending" on these boards? Do people get decisions sent with this status normally, or is it like a "hold" or defferal??

Edge427

Postby Edge427 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:12 am

Once it goes "reviewed by committee, decision pending" is where most people haven't received a decision for some time and the guess is waitlist. However, some people have been admitted from that.

The only thing that's certain up until now is "decision in transit" has meant admission. However, the closer we get to march/april the less certain that becomes.

Another note is that it seems like those of us who went blank yesterday seem to be more or less within the same number range.

Looks like the software was not down and they were simply working on a batch of applications.

Hope we all hear soon and it's good news!

lawseek

Postby lawseek » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:18 am

Someone from TLS told me that "decision pending" translates to "on hold." He/she was quoting one of the early Prospectus from UF, one that I didn't receive. I've been "decision pending" since late Jan.

Boyk1182

Postby Boyk1182 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:20 am

lawseek wrote:Someone from TLS told me that "decision pending" translates to "on hold." He/she was quoting one of the early Prospectus from UF, one that I didn't receive. I've been "decision pending" since late Jan.

This is what I figured... basically, I think if you're borderline they don't want to reject you, but rather see how many people actually accept their offer with higher numbers and fill the remainder from there... just my guess

lawseek

Postby lawseek » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:26 am

Boyk1182 wrote:
lawseek wrote:Someone from TLS told me that "decision pending" translates to "on hold." He/she was quoting one of the early Prospectus from UF, one that I didn't receive. I've been "decision pending" since late Jan.

This is what I figured... basically, I think if you're borderline they don't want to reject you, but rather see how many people actually accept their offer with higher numbers and fill the remainder from there... just my guess

I concur.

Edge427

Postby Edge427 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:30 am

lawseek wrote:
Boyk1182 wrote:

I concur.

I agree and add that I think there's a difference in "decision pending" depending on whether you're "under review" or "reviewed". I think once you're "reviewed" & " decision pending", it translates to a hold.

Boyk1182

Postby Boyk1182 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:40 am

Edge427 wrote:
lawseek wrote:
Boyk1182 wrote:

I concur.

I agree and add that I think there's a difference in "decision pending" depending on whether you're "under review" or "reviewed". I think once you're "reviewed" & " decision pending", it translates to a hold.

Ahh, that makes sense... I went back and checked and I'm "Under review; decision pending".. I guess I confused myself again, no idea what to make of that.......

lawschlapplicant

Postby lawschlapplicant » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:48 am

lawseek wrote:
Boyk1182 wrote:

I concur.

+1

savanna

Postby savanna » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:56 pm

HAve they sent out any "no's" yet? If they haven't,then the decision pending people,myself included,include waitlist AND all the "no's". I got excited because honestly I didn't even expect to make the waitlist (3.81/157)...but my hopes are shot if no one has been rejected yet.

Edge427

Postby Edge427 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:52 pm

savanna wrote:HAve they sent out any "no's" yet? If they haven't,then the decision pending people,myself included,include waitlist AND all the "no's". I got excited because honestly I didn't even expect to make the waitlist (3.81/157)...but my hopes are shot if no one has been rejected yet.

LSN doesnt show any waitlists/rejections and no one here has said they received any.

I think the consensus here is "reviewed, decision pending" is a waitlist/rejection/hold out til they see what the admitted class looks like.

fischgat

Postby fischgat » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:09 pm

I'm uninformed. What does 1L mean?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”