University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HoneybeeM1
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:25 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby HoneybeeM1 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:02 pm

GatorPi wrote:
HoneybeeM1 wrote:Hey everyone!!

Just wanted to post here....

I went from "Decision Pending" to "Decision letter in transit" a few days ago. I got my acceptance letter to UF in the mail today!! :)



Congrats! How long had you been in "Decision Pending" and what are your numbers if you dont mind? :)


Thanks! I can't remember exactly how long I was classified as 'decision pending'...but it had to have been at least two weeks. Let's just say...it was long enough for me to start worrying that I was one of the 'hold' applications I've been reading about on this forum. :)

159/4.0, non-URM, out-of-state

If you're a decision-pending person...all hope is not lost! A few days after my status changed to "Decision letter in transit"....I got an acceptance! Best of luck!

carrowd3
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:35 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby carrowd3 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:03 pm

I was also pending for a very long time (6 weeks maybe) and went to "decision letter in transit" on Monday. Hopefully, something is waiting for me in the mailbox. 161, 3.6, out-of-state.

midrangejumper
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:38 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby midrangejumper » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:38 pm

carrowd3 wrote:I was also pending for a very long time (6 weeks maybe) and went to "decision letter in transit" on Monday. Hopefully, something is waiting for me in the mailbox. 161, 3.6, out-of-state.


that's usually an acceptance!

User avatar
hopeforthebest
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:46 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby hopeforthebest » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:43 pm

carine44 wrote: I just hate nearly everything about the state of Florida and can't wait to get out of here.


STORY OF MY LIFE!!!!! Can't WAIT to move out of FL!!!!

User avatar
atlantalaw
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:37 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby atlantalaw » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:53 pm

LOL[/quote]

bump...I can't believe I got someone to laugh at that, I was serious...this thread reminds me that i need a colonoscopy[/quote]

UF is about to be tier 2 within 2-5 years, fsu is already tier 2. Both have faculty who even the state attorney will tell you are on an ego trip. Both are pretty poor schools. Both are in fugly cities. Both do have attractive females tho.[/quote]

so if you hate uf, why did you amble onto a thread specifically for people who got into/are hoping to get into uf?

carrowd3
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:35 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby carrowd3 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:06 pm

midrangejumper wrote:
carrowd3 wrote:I was also pending for a very long time (6 weeks maybe) and went to "decision letter in transit" on Monday. Hopefully, something is waiting for me in the mailbox. 161, 3.6, out-of-state.


that's usually an acceptance!


Woo! Acceptance package today! Don't read too much into "pending = waitlist/hold."

Rejected from GW today, so my cycle is winding down.

I'll be choosing between Pitt (in-state + 12K/year), Stetson (full scholarship), UF (out-of-state), & Arizona (out-of-state). Unless Houston gives me some good money, or Emory lets me in, I'll be picking between those 4 schools. Call me crazy, but I'm most likely going to pick the full scholly from Stetson.

User avatar
flhealth
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:28 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby flhealth » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:14 pm

carrowd3 wrote:
midrangejumper wrote:
carrowd3 wrote:I was also pending for a very long time (6 weeks maybe) and went to "decision letter in transit" on Monday. Hopefully, something is waiting for me in the mailbox. 161, 3.6, out-of-state.


that's usually an acceptance!


Woo! Acceptance package today! Don't read too much into "pending = waitlist/hold."

Rejected from GW today, so my cycle is winding down.

I'll be choosing between Pitt (in-state + 12K/year), Stetson (full scholarship), UF (out-of-state), & Arizona (out-of-state). Unless Houston gives me some good money, or Emory lets me in, I'll be picking between those 4 schools. Call me crazy, but I'm most likely going to pick the full scholly from Stetson.

I dont think thats nuts at all...especially if you want to practice in Florida....Stetson repuatation is pretty strong in state...and the campus is incredible, i will be making an "official" visit next week.

VAGATOR
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby VAGATOR » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:30 pm

Just went to the dreaded, Reviewed by committee; decision pending :(

carrowd3
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:35 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby carrowd3 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:32 pm

I dont think thats nuts at all...especially if you want to practice in Florida....Stetson repuatation is pretty strong in state...and the campus is incredible, i will be making an "official" visit next week


Awesome! I'm flying down to Stetson next Friday to visit. I'm so excited!!! Are you going to the same event?

UF is pretty expensive for out-of-staters. Based on some previous posts, it seems that becoming a Florida resident is pretty difficult during law school. I don't think the disparity in cost between Stetson full scholly and UF out-of-state is enough to justify the ranking difference. If I would have gotten into GW, I would have a more difficult decision. (bastards!)

User avatar
flhealth
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:28 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby flhealth » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:42 pm

VAGATOR wrote:Just went to the dreaded, Reviewed by committee; decision pending :(

did your status change TODAY (saturday)?

User avatar
flhealth
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:28 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby flhealth » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:45 pm

carrowd3 wrote:
I dont think thats nuts at all...especially if you want to practice in Florida....Stetson repuatation is pretty strong in state...and the campus is incredible, i will be making an "official" visit next week


Awesome! I'm flying down to Stetson next Friday to visit. I'm so excited!!! Are you going to the same event?

UF is pretty expensive for out-of-staters. Based on some previous posts, it seems that becoming a Florida resident is pretty difficult during law school. I don't think the disparity in cost between Stetson full scholly and UF out-of-state is enough to justify the ranking difference. If I would have gotten into GW, I would have a more difficult decision. (bastards!)

no...i'm not admitted yet....just going doen to meet withan adcom member and sit in a class...congrats on your scolly...i can think of worse places to spend the next three years

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby 06072010 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:13 pm

carrowd3 wrote:
I dont think thats nuts at all...especially if you want to practice in Florida....Stetson repuatation is pretty strong in state...and the campus is incredible, i will be making an "official" visit next week


Awesome! I'm flying down to Stetson next Friday to visit. I'm so excited!!! Are you going to the same event?

UF is pretty expensive for out-of-staters. Based on some previous posts, it seems that becoming a Florida resident is pretty difficult during law school. I don't think the disparity in cost between Stetson full scholly and UF out-of-state is enough to justify the ranking difference. If I would have gotten into GW, I would have a more difficult decision. (bastards!)



I'm going to check in with my fellow UFLAW peeps here. I'm not sure this is accurate. Obviously the situation with the economy and budget is different since I left, but it was expressed by financial aid how easy it was to obtain residency. This is a big point on cost and nobody should be making decisions based on "previous posts." I'll check back on Monday. I also don't think that Stetson's rep is nearly close to UF's. There is no data to support that view. I'll take hiring data over anecdotal reputation any day of the week.

User avatar
flhealth
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:28 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby flhealth » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:16 pm

PKSebben wrote:
carrowd3 wrote:
I dont think thats nuts at all...especially if you want to practice in Florida....Stetson repuatation is pretty strong in state...and the campus is incredible, i will be making an "official" visit next week


Awesome! I'm flying down to Stetson next Friday to visit. I'm so excited!!! Are you going to the same event?

UF is pretty expensive for out-of-staters. Based on some previous posts, it seems that becoming a Florida resident is pretty difficult during law school. I don't think the disparity in cost between Stetson full scholly and UF out-of-state is enough to justify the ranking difference. If I would have gotten into GW, I would have a more difficult decision. (bastards!)



I'm going to check in with my fellow UFLAW peeps here. I'm not sure this is accurate. Obviously the situation with the economy and budget is different since I left, but it was expressed by financial aid how easy it was to obtain residency. This is a big point on cost and nobody should be making decisions based on "previous posts." I'll check back on Monday. I also don't think that Stetson's rep is nearly close to UF's. There is no data to support that view. I'll take hiring data over anecdotal reputation any day of the week.

if youre talking to me, i didnt say it was stronger than florida's....i said its pretty strong in florida, i guess i should clarify and say its pretty strong in central florida...especially tampa

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby 06072010 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:21 pm

The relevant statute on residency for tuition purposes is bona fida domicile for 12 months prior to qualification, which can be applied for after you start.

--LinkRemoved--

Obviously, the statute can change, but so long as you can prove or are willing to attest (after a year) that you are domiciled in Florida rather than a mere resident for college purposes (which probably means a liberally construed intent to stay), I don't see why this is such a big deal. It's exceptionally hard to get in-state tuition at Michigan, for example.

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby 06072010 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:26 pm

flhealth wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
carrowd3 wrote:
I dont think thats nuts at all...especially if you want to practice in Florida....Stetson repuatation is pretty strong in state...and the campus is incredible, i will be making an "official" visit next week


Awesome! I'm flying down to Stetson next Friday to visit. I'm so excited!!! Are you going to the same event?

UF is pretty expensive for out-of-staters. Based on some previous posts, it seems that becoming a Florida resident is pretty difficult during law school. I don't think the disparity in cost between Stetson full scholly and UF out-of-state is enough to justify the ranking difference. If I would have gotten into GW, I would have a more difficult decision. (bastards!)



I'm going to check in with my fellow UFLAW peeps here. I'm not sure this is accurate. Obviously the situation with the economy and budget is different since I left, but it was expressed by financial aid how easy it was to obtain residency. This is a big point on cost and nobody should be making decisions based on "previous posts." I'll check back on Monday. I also don't think that Stetson's rep is nearly close to UF's. There is no data to support that view. I'll take hiring data over anecdotal reputation any day of the week.

if youre talking to me, i didnt say it was stronger than florida's....i said its pretty strong in florida, i guess i should clarify and say its pretty strong in central florida...especially tampa


I think any generalization about reputation must be comparative among schools who compete in the market. Otherwise, what's the purpose of a reputation? I think Steton's reputation is far overstated. While I would place it as arguably the third best school in Florida, I don't think I would EVER advise someone to choose between Stetson over FSU/UF, especially with the prospect of in-state tuition. I'd also like to know what requirements are attached to that scholarship.

VAGATOR
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby VAGATOR » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:27 pm

flhealth wrote:
VAGATOR wrote:Just went to the dreaded, Reviewed by committee; decision pending :(

did your status change TODAY (saturday)?


Nah, I hadn't checked it in a few days. It happened Thursday.

User avatar
flhealth
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:28 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby flhealth » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:31 pm

PKSebben wrote:
I think any generalization about reputation must be comparative among schools who compete in the market. Otherwise, what's the purpose of a reputation? I think Steton's reputation is far overstated. While I would place it as arguably the third best school in Florida, I don't think I would EVER advise someone to choose between Stetson over FSU/UF, especially with the prospect of in-state tuition. I'd also like to know what requirements are attached to that scholarship.

i think his is top third if i remember correctly

User avatar
SpencerPratt
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby SpencerPratt » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:33 pm

Question - I did the online app and it told me they would email me with payment options. It's been a few days and nothing. Did I miss something?

User avatar
TheNerdProject
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby TheNerdProject » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:34 pm

flhealth wrote:
carrowd3 wrote:
midrangejumper wrote:
carrowd3 wrote:I was also pending for a very long time (6 weeks maybe) and went to "decision letter in transit" on Monday. Hopefully, something is waiting for me in the mailbox. 161, 3.6, out-of-state.


that's usually an acceptance!


Woo! Acceptance package today! Don't read too much into "pending = waitlist/hold."

Rejected from GW today, so my cycle is winding down.

I'll be choosing between Pitt (in-state + 12K/year), Stetson (full scholarship), UF (out-of-state), & Arizona (out-of-state). Unless Houston gives me some good money, or Emory lets me in, I'll be picking between those 4 schools. Call me crazy, but I'm most likely going to pick the full scholly from Stetson.

I dont think thats nuts at all...especially if you want to practice in Florida....Stetson repuatation is pretty strong in state...and the campus is incredible, i will be making an "official" visit next week.

This is crazy talk. I know people at Stetson dying to kick ass in 1L so they can transfer to UF. Same goes for a couple of UM 1Ls that I know. UF grads do well all over the state, including South Florida. They're hired by the best firms in the state. Furthermore, UF 1Ls transfer to T14 schools like Georgetown, Northwestern, Michigan, Columbia and even Harvard (PKSebben might be able to give you more details on this). I don't think Stetson carries as much weight on a transfer application as UF. I can go on. IMO, given the schools you've been admitted to, UF is the way to go: it's the best school on your list in terms of practicing in FL and the school that will put you in the best position to transfer to a better school should you do well your 1L year. And unless things have recently changed drastically because of the economy, I'm pretty sure you'll get in-state tuition after 1L.
Last edited by TheNerdProject on Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
flhealth
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:28 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby flhealth » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:36 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:Question - I did the online app and it told me they would email me with payment options. It's been a few days and nothing. Did I miss something?
took two weeks for them to get back with me about payment options...are you in the secondary pool?

User avatar
TheNerdProject
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby TheNerdProject » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:39 pm

PKSebben wrote:I think any generalization about reputation must be comparative among schools who compete in the market. Otherwise, what's the purpose of a reputation? I think Steton's reputation is far overstated. While I would place it as arguably the third best school in Florida, I don't think I would EVER advise someone to choose between Stetson over FSU/UF, especially with the prospect of in-state tuition. I'd also like to know what requirements are attached to that scholarship.

+1

bananas131
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby bananas131 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:40 pm

Anyone else at the ASD yesterday? What did you guys think?

I was surprised by how many people brought their parents. This was my first ASD though, I wonder if that's typical everywhere...

User avatar
green918
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:59 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby green918 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:50 pm

bananas131 wrote:Anyone else at the ASD yesterday? What did you guys think?

I was surprised by how many people brought their parents. This was my first ASD though, I wonder if that's typical everywhere...


I did. I was also surprised at how many parents there were but it didn't seem to keep people from talking with one another.
The classrooms and law library were very nice and I was happy to see that they gave us an opportunity to mingle with the faculty. I also thought it was good that they broke us up into smaller groups with current students so we could ask specific questions. The students in my group were very helpful.
It was also my first ASD, so I'm guessing it was pretty standard as far as the information about the school, financial aid, etc. Personally, I already live in Gainesville and am kind of anxious to leave. Gainesville's a good college town but I'm leaning toward trying out somewhere new. All in all, I didn't come away with any better or worse impression of the school than I already had. Nice campus, welcoming students and faculty, great alumni network in Florida...It didn't really sway me though.

ShiftyPig
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:18 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby ShiftyPig » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:06 pm

bananas131 wrote:Anyone else at the ASD yesterday? What did you guys think?

I was surprised by how many people brought their parents. This was my first ASD though, I wonder if that's typical everywhere...


I'm making a UF Thursday, FSU Scholar's Day Friday loop next week and I'm planning on bringing my mother with me. I'm not going to ask one of my friends to take off work. Nice to have someone to discuss things with versus reading Cafe Risque billboards for hours.

I would guess these things are fairly standard - we already know information so it's more getting a feel for the place, and the current students nominated to particpate are the ones that like the place. I'm not sure what they can say to seriously impact my decision - matching the merit award that arrived in the mail from FSU today would go a long a long ways for sure.

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby 06072010 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:13 pm

flhealth wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
I think any generalization about reputation must be comparative among schools who compete in the market. Otherwise, what's the purpose of a reputation? I think Steton's reputation is far overstated. While I would place it as arguably the third best school in Florida, I don't think I would EVER advise someone to choose between Stetson over FSU/UF, especially with the prospect of in-state tuition. I'd also like to know what requirements are attached to that scholarship.

i think his is top third if i remember correctly


This isn't even a choice. Stetson at full-price is obscene.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dddddd90, Hopefullawkid2015, Keilz and 14 guests