University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
geoanthem

Re: University of Florida

Postby geoanthem » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:48 pm

Yeah I got the email to fill out the forms around noon and got my status checker before 1pm. They have been pretty efficient for me.

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:05 pm

Just checked the mail. My decision didn't come today. Hopefully tomorrow.

lrw05d

Postby lrw05d » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:01 pm

Whoa, checked my status and it went directly from "All required documents received" to "Decision letter in transit"! Sweet!

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:04 pm

Seems like a lot of people went to decision at UF. Are we sure this is all good news?

Edge427

Postby Edge427 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:07 pm

Guess they're busy today!

midrangejumper

Postby midrangejumper » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:14 pm

ya it seems like if you get "decision in transit" that basically = acceptance

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:16 pm

midrangejumper wrote:ya it seems like if you get "decision in transit" that basically = acceptance

I hope so. Anyone know why they are sending out only acceptances first this year? Seems like last year, according to LSN, they sent them out simultaneously.

Axis

Postby Axis » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:30 pm

I went complete late January, still sitting at under review by committee. I'm just above the medians and in-state (at UF now, actually), I wonder if I should be worried?

midrangejumper

Postby midrangejumper » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:36 pm

Axis wrote:I went complete late January, still sitting at under review by committee. I'm just above the medians and in-state (at UF now, actually), I wonder if I should be worried?

im 25% lsat 75% gpa, all docs received since 1/15 and i feel like im pretty much screwed :cry:

Axis

Postby Axis » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:37 pm

There are 100 less seats open this cycle as they are trying to reduce the size of the program. This may be bad news for some of us.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:39 pm

Axis wrote:There are 100 less seats open this cycle as they are trying to reduce the size of the program. This may be bad news for some of us.

Source?

ShiftyPig

Postby ShiftyPig » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:40 pm

midrangejumper wrote:
Axis wrote:I went complete late January, still sitting at under review by committee. I'm just above the medians and in-state (at UF now, actually), I wonder if I should be worried?

im 25% lsat 75% gpa, all docs received since 1/15 and i feel like im pretty much screwed :cry:

I'm beyond 75% for each but have been at All Documents Received for awhile. Stay positive... decisions go out through late March.

25th percentile just means that one out of every four people pictured in the viewbook has a score below yours.

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:41 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
Axis wrote:There are 100 less seats open this cycle as they are trying to reduce the size of the program. This may be bad news for some of us.

Source?

I've heard this too (not sure where). But has to do with the budget cuts.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:47 pm

geoanthem wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:

Source?

A cut sounds counter intuitive, they still have the same fixed cost no matter how many students they cut. What makes sense to me is to let in 100 more out of state people in, not cut slots.

So if they cut 100 people I would guess that would be the lowest ranked members of the class. So they are going to be full of scholarship students?

Edge427

Postby Edge427 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:50 pm

I also heard this from the admissions staff. Expecting slightly more applicants with 75-100 less seats because of budget cuts.

midrangejumper

Postby midrangejumper » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:52 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
geoanthem wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:

Source?

A cut sounds counter intuitive, they still have the same fixed cost no matter how many students they cut. What makes sense to me is to let in 100 more out of state people in, not cut slots.

So if they cut 100 people I would guess that would be the lowest ranked members of the class. So they are going to be full of scholarship students?

this is why i said this a few pages ago:

from a couple of previous posts on other pages of this thread i do NOT get UF and probably FSU for this exact reason: money!

if the state of florida is suffering so bad from money issues, and their budget keeps getting cut, then why do they make it easier for in staters with lower numbers to get in? their instate tuition is around 10k, which their outta state tuition is over 30k. doesn't it seem if they're having financial issues, they should let in more outta state kids with lower numbers? they'd make a heck of a lot more money on me in 3 years than they would a FL resident.

ShiftyPig

Postby ShiftyPig » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:55 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
geoanthem wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:

Source?

With 25% fewer students they could cut staff by 25% and maintain the same student:professor ratio. Not to mention raising the 25/median/75 numbers. A higher ranking means they could demand higher tuition from students. As of now it is also too easy to receive in-state tuition after 1L, so I'd expect to see that addressed as well.

Firing professors would be the way to cut costs immediately, but that isn't the proper way to do it - the school has to back into things or risk ruining the program.

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:56 pm

Well I'm an out-of-stater with an lsat above their 75% and my decision is in the mail. So who knows maybe the next few classes will have a higher percentage of out of staters. I know if my decision is an acceptance I will seriously consider UF. I have heard they are pretty dominate in the state of Florida, do place well in South Florida, and have an extensive and loyal alumni network.

Axis

Postby Axis » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:56 pm

I think state schools are usually mandated to accept a certain proportion of in-state to out of state, like 70-30. So I think being out of state still puts you at a disadvantage, even it cost you 2.5x as much to attend.

As for the source of the less available seats, I was talking to some current law students who mentioned there were only going to be 3 1L sections versus 4 in previous years. I don't know how reliable this is though.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:00 pm

That seems like a bad bad bad move. The professors that are not fired would probably begin to look elsewhere due to lack of job security. Then it will be hard to find qualified professors due to lack of job security. A giant snowball effect......

The Zeppelin

Postby The Zeppelin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:03 pm

I should be an auto-admit, so I'm curious to see what the mail has to say.

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:04 pm

The Zeppelin wrote:I should be an auto-admit, so I'm curious to see what the mail has to say.

Me too. So why haven't they sent out any waitlists/rejections?

ShiftyPig

Postby ShiftyPig » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:08 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:That seems like a bad bad bad move. The professors that are not fired would probably begin to look elsewhere due to lack of job security. Then it will be hard to find qualified professors due to lack of job security. A giant snowball effect......

But you are assuming future cuts beyond this one.

My undergrad went through a similar process around my junior year, drastically cutting the size of the incoming class. As it played out over a few years it made a marked difference in the quality of students there. I have no doubt that dollars are behind this, but at the same time one can find other positives to justify a smaller 1L class.

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:09 pm

Axis wrote:I think state schools are usually mandated to accept a certain proportion of in-state to out of state, like 70-30. So I think being out of state still puts you at a disadvantage, even it cost you 2.5x as much to attend.

As for the source of the less available seats, I was talking to some current law students who mentioned there were only going to be 3 1L sections versus 4 in previous years. I don't know how reliable this is though.

This still doesn't make sense. Cutting the incoming class and faculty won't help them save money. Cutting faculty and not students would save money. Maybe they mean there will be only 3 1L sections instead of 4, but the sections will just be larger?

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:10 pm

Sparky wrote:
Axis wrote:I think state schools are usually mandated to accept a certain proportion of in-state to out of state, like 70-30. So I think being out of state still puts you at a disadvantage, even it cost you 2.5x as much to attend.

This still doesn't make sense. Cutting the incoming class and faculty won't help them save money. Cutting faculty and not students would save money. Maybe they mean there will be only 3 1L sections instead of 4, but the sections will just be larger?

I think we are just trying to calm our nerves :)

Everyone else is cutting back why not UF. This does not bode well for me as I am at their medians....

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”