University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
waker57
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby waker57 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:19 pm

misbuble wrote:I think it is interesting that people are actually defending redneck as if it's a race. If you've lived around them, you certainly would understand the truth to the stereotypes of ignorance normally associated with their cliched archetypes.


I am more "for" bashing than against it. My point is we are "too" PC especially when being racially sensitive. We would be ignorant not to think a redneck almost exclusively is depicted or considered to mean a white person. On the same note, the same can often be said about "thugs / gangstas" being black (although there are gangs of every race, I'm referring to the hip-hop culture). My experience is that distaste for the ignorance often associated with this hip hop gangsta is that, especially as someone who is not black, it is met with allegation of racism (even if slightly so). You could never expect the same to be said when someone rips on rednecks for what could also be considered ignorant / destructive behavior.

This thread is going way off course though.
Last edited by waker57 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

misbuble
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:18 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby misbuble » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:21 pm

misbuble wrote:Gangster anymore is an adjective I (and many others) use in lou of awesome.

EX: This ice cream is Gangster!

That shirt is gangster!

The mafia is gangster!
waker57 wrote:
misbuble wrote:I think it is interesting that people are actually defending redneck as if it's a race. If you've lived around them, you certainly would understand the truth to the stereotypes of ignorance normally associated with their cliched archetypes.


I am more "for" bashing than against it. My point is we are "too" PC especially when being racially sensitive. We would be ignorant not to think a redneck almost exclusively is depicted or considered to mean a white person. On the same note, the same can often be said about "thugs / gangstas" being black (although there are gangs of every race, I'm referring to the hip-hop culture). My experience is that distaste for the ignorance often associated with this hip hop gangsta is that, especially as someone who is non-black, it is met with allegation of racism (even if slightly so). You could never expect the same to be said when someone rips on rednecks for what could also be considered ignorant / destructive behavior.


In this case the it is the reason for bashing, not the nature of it. Although I agree with your underlying rhetoric.

User avatar
flhealth
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:28 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby flhealth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:27 pm

misbuble wrote:I think it is interesting that people are actually defending redneck as if it's a race. If you've lived around them, you certainly would understand the truth to the stereotypes of ignorance normally associated with their cliched archetypes.

i'm not defending it as a race , but ithink its fair to say that it is more often than not related to a lower socio economic class...bashing a group of people based on stereotypes is prejudice....and i just thinks its funny that some people think being prejudicial in regards to rednecks is OK

misbuble
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:18 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby misbuble » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:29 pm

flhealth wrote:
misbuble wrote:I think it is interesting that people are actually defending redneck as if it's a race. If you've lived around them, you certainly would understand the truth to the stereotypes of ignorance normally associated with their cliched archetypes.

i'm not defending it as a race , but ithink its fair to say that it is more often than not related to a lower socio economic class...bashing a group of people based on stereotypes is prejudice....and i just thinks its funny that some people think being prejudicial in regards to rednecks is OK


It's first hand EXP (years, and years of it). Why won't you acknowledge that?

User avatar
waker57
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby waker57 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:30 pm

flhealth wrote:
misbuble wrote:I think it is interesting that people are actually defending redneck as if it's a race. If you've lived around them, you certainly would understand the truth to the stereotypes of ignorance normally associated with their cliched archetypes.

i'm not defending it as a race , but ithink its fair to say that it is more often than not related to a lower socio economic class...bashing a group of people based on stereotypes is prejudice....and i just thinks its funny that some people think being prejudicial in regards to rednecks is OK


it probably depends on whether they are basing it on economic class or not. the prejudiced against shower comments are out of line though, again, i think people would be up in arms if i talked about all the stinky homeless here in NYC.

misbuble
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:18 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby misbuble » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:31 pm

My comments come from my observation, not stereotypes. Many rednecks don't bathe, most are ignorant, and a whole lot of them are prejudice.

God forbid we give an honest critique of anything in this country.
Last edited by misbuble on Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
waker57
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby waker57 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:33 pm

misbuble wrote:My comments come from my observation, not stereotypes. Many rednecks don't bathe, most are ignorant, and a whole lot of them are prejudice.


My same experience with the homeless in Penn Station. Let the bashing of them begin as well please.

misbuble
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:18 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby misbuble » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:34 pm

Gah well, I don't see anything wrong with bashing a prejudice group of people. Are neo-nazi's fair game? Or am I stereotyping too much to say they have a prejudice or 2...
Last edited by misbuble on Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
carine44
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:23 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby carine44 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:35 pm

:roll:

User avatar
waker57
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby waker57 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:36 pm

misbuble wrote:Your missing out on the concept of ill intent. Eye for an Eye. What have those homeless done to you? Trust me, you'll suffer some active prejudice if you are a minority in redneckland.


Are you promoting eye for an eye or you are against it? I'm not clear on this. I'd imagine you are for it. (They are prejudiced to you, so you make fun of their living conditions / hygiene)

misbuble
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:18 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby misbuble » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:38 pm

Well, I only condone the rather innocent passerby comments regarding rednecks or band kids. Anything other than an innocuous comment is not something I'd condone.

ajf110577
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:12 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby ajf110577 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:39 pm

What is the deal with this freaking thread?!?!?! Can we please keep the discussion to relevant topics? Please? How about if I say please one more time? Please?

User avatar
waker57
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby waker57 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:40 pm

ajf110577 wrote:What is the deal with this freaking thread?!?!?! Can we please keep the discussion to relevant topics? Please? How about if I say please one more time? Please?


Yes let's get this back on course. UF stuff only. Sorry everyone.

User avatar
flhealth
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:28 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby flhealth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:44 pm

misbuble wrote:
flhealth wrote:
misbuble wrote:I think it is interesting that people are actually defending redneck as if it's a race. If you've lived around them, you certainly would understand the truth to the stereotypes of ignorance normally associated with their cliched archetypes.

i'm not defending it as a race , but ithink its fair to say that it is more often than not related to a lower socio economic class...bashing a group of people based on stereotypes is prejudice....and i just thinks its funny that some people think being prejudicial in regards to rednecks is OK


It's first hand EXP (years, and years of it). Why won't you acknowledge that?

i live in jacksonville so i'm pretty familiar with people you are speaking of...

afx
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:25 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby afx » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:46 pm

Yeah, can we get back to talking about admissions?

Does anyone have prospective student update #2 that could let us know what exactly "Reviewed by committee; decision pending" means? Hopefully it isn't a waitlist as others have alluded to.

misbuble
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:18 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby misbuble » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:46 pm

flhealth wrote:
misbuble wrote:
flhealth wrote:
misbuble wrote:I think it is interesting that people are actually defending redneck as if it's a race. If you've lived around them, you certainly would understand the truth to the stereotypes of ignorance normally associated with their cliched archetypes.

i'm not defending it as a race , but ithink its fair to say that it is more often than not related to a lower socio economic class...bashing a group of people based on stereotypes is prejudice....and i just thinks its funny that some people think being prejudicial in regards to rednecks is OK


It's first hand EXP (years, and years of it). Why won't you acknowledge that?

i live in jacksonville so i'm pretty familiar with people you are speaking of...


I understand now, well perhaps you're one of the exceptions out there eh? 8)

User avatar
waker57
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby waker57 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:48 pm

Knowing the Key Terms of the Application Process

When you inquire about your file, the admissions’ office might use some of these terms to let you know the status of your file. Most likely the terms will be self-explanatory. However, there are times that the terms are less than clear and somehow confusing. To assist you with the application process key word conundrums, these are the key words used at UF Law and their meanings. Keep in mind that each school has a different set of key words.Here are the key terms and their meanings:

Candidate Incomplete: These files are recently received and/or files missing required* items. This status will change once all the required items are received and processed.Candidate

Complete: All required documents were received, the file will move to the committee for review.

Under Review: The file is complete and the committee is currently evaluating the file for status determination.

Decision Pending: The committee has reviewed the file; however, no decision has been placed on the file. Applicants who have updates to their files such as transcripts and LSAT scores will be re-evaluated by the committee based on the new information.

User avatar
ShadowRabbit
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:34 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby ShadowRabbit » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:06 pm

Okay, so I waited 3 weeks just to get an email telling me to fill out a supplemental form which is all stuff that was on the actual application, so which seems on no relevance, plus pay an online fee and get charged $1.25 to process the fee?

Really UF? Really?

jgerber9
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:40 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby jgerber9 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:12 pm

misbuble wrote:
jgerber9 wrote:
misbuble wrote:Every level of FL public education is trying to cut corners. The state undergraduate scholarship Bright Futures has gone under incredible scrutiny the past few years, and they want to rid the state of it (at least decrease the volume of awardees). This is significant for UF especially. Most kids went to UF because it was free for them, or close to it. Most of them would go to better schools out of state if not for the Bright Futures. I bring this up to corraborate the assertation about resident tuition becoming harder to obtain for migrant law students. If it came down to 10k a year difference between UMiami and UF, and if you wanted to work in South Florida especially, it's a pretty easy sell. Add in the fact that Gaineville is disgustingly redneck...


The locals are rednecks... but all of us students tend to come from the South Florida area...or at least a huge proportion of us.


Where are you going to go to law school jgerber9? UF still or are you thinking elsewhere?


I applied to UF but even if its the best school I get into I doubt I'll go. I absolutely hate Gainesville...it is by far the most boring town I've ever been to. I'm aiming to head out to California. As for all the random redneck comments and such let me clarify something about the University of Florida. If you come from a metropolitan area like Miami or Ft. Lauderdale (this is where I am from) Gainesville will give you a serious case of culture shock when you get there. Life is just different here. As for someone saying there's a bunch of hippy liberals here... that is a gross exageration and comments like that tend to come from someone on the complete opposite side of the spectrum who is offended when someone isn't a bible thumping god fearing gun toting Republican. The campus probably leans slightly to the left but what campus doesn't? And you will see plenty of Confederate flags and gun racks in Gainesville along with the occasional ignorant racism, but mostly you just gotta take it in stride and associate with more friendly types.

User avatar
waker57
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby waker57 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:22 pm

jgerber9 wrote:
misbuble wrote:
jgerber9 wrote:
misbuble wrote:Every level of FL public education is trying to cut corners. The state undergraduate scholarship Bright Futures has gone under incredible scrutiny the past few years, and they want to rid the state of it (at least decrease the volume of awardees). This is significant for UF especially. Most kids went to UF because it was free for them, or close to it. Most of them would go to better schools out of state if not for the Bright Futures. I bring this up to corraborate the assertation about resident tuition becoming harder to obtain for migrant law students. If it came down to 10k a year difference between UMiami and UF, and if you wanted to work in South Florida especially, it's a pretty easy sell. Add in the fact that Gaineville is disgustingly redneck...


The locals are rednecks... but all of us students tend to come from the South Florida area...or at least a huge proportion of us.


Where are you going to go to law school jgerber9? UF still or are you thinking elsewhere?


I applied to UF but even if its the best school I get into I doubt I'll go. I absolutely hate Gainesville...it is by far the most boring town I've ever been to. I'm aiming to head out to California. As for all the random redneck comments and such let me clarify something about the University of Florida. If you come from a metropolitan area like Miami or Ft. Lauderdale (this is where I am from) Gainesville will give you a serious case of culture shock when you get there. Life is just different here. As for someone saying there's a bunch of hippy liberals here... that is a gross exageration and comments like that tend to come from someone on the complete opposite side of the spectrum who is offended when someone isn't a bible thumping god fearing gun toting Republican. The campus probably leans slightly to the left but what campus doesn't? And you will see plenty of Confederate flags and gun racks in Gainesville along with the occasional ignorant racism, but mostly you just gotta take it in stride and associate with more friendly types.


Gun racks? So exercising a constitutional right and being a "friendly type" are now mutually exclusive?

User avatar
ShadowRabbit
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:34 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby ShadowRabbit » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:25 pm

waker57 wrote:
Gun racks? So exercising a constitutional right and being a "friendly type" are now mutually exclusive?


Oh for the love of god, please stop.

I bet the harvard thread doesnt have to deal with this type of off-topic discussion.

jgerber9
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:40 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby jgerber9 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:26 pm

[/quote]

Where are you going to go to law school jgerber9? UF still or are you thinking elsewhere?[/quote]

I applied to UF but even if its the best school I get into I doubt I'll go. I absolutely hate Gainesville...it is by far the most boring town I've ever been to. I'm aiming to head out to California. As for all the random redneck comments and such let me clarify something about the University of Florida. If you come from a metropolitan area like Miami or Ft. Lauderdale (this is where I am from) Gainesville will give you a serious case of culture shock when you get there. Life is just different here. As for someone saying there's a bunch of hippy liberals here... that is a gross exageration and comments like that tend to come from someone on the complete opposite side of the spectrum who is offended when someone isn't a bible thumping god fearing gun toting Republican. The campus probably leans slightly to the left but what campus doesn't? And you will see plenty of Confederate flags and gun racks in Gainesville along with the occasional ignorant racism, but mostly you just gotta take it in stride and associate with more friendly types.[/quote]

Gun racks? So exercising a constitutional right and being a "friendly type" are now mutually exclusive?[/quote]

It was a cheeky generalization geez...quit being a dick.

User avatar
waker57
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby waker57 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:27 pm

ShadowRabbit wrote:
waker57 wrote:
Gun racks? So exercising a constitutional right and being a "friendly type" are now mutually exclusive?


Oh for the love of god, please stop.

I bet the harvard thread doesnt have to deal with this type of off-topic discussion.


Ok, ok. I just wanted to quickly use up the small amount of goodwill I had on this thread for putting up Prospectives Update #2.

midrangejumper
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:38 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby midrangejumper » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:29 pm

ya let's stop talking about off topic subjects dang it! lets get back on focus pleeeeeease

addicted
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:17 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby addicted » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:47 pm

my status just changed to "Decision Letter in Transit".

Can i assume anything from this as to whether or not I got in?

would it say congratulations or admitted if i did?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], lula43, poliksa and 2 guests