University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
waker57

Re: University of Florida

Postby waker57 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:13 pm

lawseek wrote:
lawseek wrote:
uncle mike wrote:
lawseek wrote:Is anyone else this: "Reviewed by committee; decision pending"? It seems to me that the decision is the point of the review.

Prosepctive Student Update 2 translates that language as "on hold." Hope that helps.

Thanks. Although I didn't receive that update, I figured it was something like that. I went complete on 12/7. Best of luck to all.

Changed to "decision pending" on 1/22. Before that I was "under review" for approx. one month.

Reviewed by committee; decision pending....or just decision pending?

I am so confused as to what all of these things really mean. UF is by far the most confusing process.

fischgat

Postby fischgat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:18 pm

carine44 wrote:
fischgat wrote:How do i log on to check the application status for UF? It says to use my LSAC username and password, but that doesn't work. I finally received the email confirmation for my application, and I just sent my residency forms and payment last night. How long do I have to wait before I can log on to check my status?

I got the confirmation on the 3rd and the status checker information on the 5th. That confirmation email is misleading because it reads like you should be able to check your status right away...not the case, but you should be able to in a couple of days.

So UF sends a status checker information email that will tell me how to check the application status? I probably wont get it until next week when they are back in the office.

afx

Postby afx » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:24 pm

Just got changed to "Reviewed by committee; decision pending" ... please accept me, please!

How long has it taken you guys to get a decision since this status change?

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:13 pm

afx wrote:Just got changed to "Reviewed by committee; decision pending" ... please accept me, please!

+1, I am right at their medians.

ShiftyPig

Postby ShiftyPig » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:32 am

I'm still at "All Required Documents Received."

Eh... I figure the longer it takes for them to send me a decision is longer I get to not stress about having to make my own decision.

waker57

Postby waker57 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:43 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
afx wrote:Just got changed to "Reviewed by committee; decision pending" ... please accept me, please!

Really hoping this doesn't mean "Waitlist" as someone mentioned earlier.

jas167

Postby jas167 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:59 pm

Went under review yesterday.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:21 pm

waker57 wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:

Really hoping this doesn't mean "Waitlist" as someone mentioned earlier.

Ditto, does anyone have a copy of student update #2? If you do pm me, I would like a copy.

midrangejumper

Postby midrangejumper » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:24 pm

"Reviewed by committee; decision pending" = waitlist?

because ive seen "In transit" or something in previous pages of this thread, and all those people seem to been admitted

okay went back to page 4, a girls went from "in committee" whatever to "Decision in transit." and she was accepted. so "decision pending" might be some sort of waitlist/hold?

gdin

Postby gdin » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:00 pm

got a letter stating they cannot determine my residency--anyone else get this?

i have a FL voters reg and drivers license but lived in ny for a year after college

do you think this will affect their decision

hypo

Postby hypo » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:13 pm

gdin wrote:got a letter stating they cannot determine my residency--anyone else get this?

i have a FL voters reg and drivers license but lived in ny for a year after college

do you think this will affect their decision

No, but you might get hit with out of state tuition.

afx

Postby afx » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:24 am

midrangejumper wrote:"Reviewed by committee; decision pending" = waitlist?

because ive seen "In transit" or something in previous pages of this thread, and all those people seem to been admitted

okay went back to page 4, a girls went from "in committee" whatever to "Decision in transit." and she was accepted. so "decision pending" might be some sort of waitlist/hold?
Oh god, I hope not. Hopefully they are just trying to get all of the auto-admits out of the way (not a single <160 non-URM has been accepted yet on LSN, which there will be a lot of I think) and then go down the list of the regular group.

carrowd3

Postby carrowd3 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:09 pm

midrangejumper wrote:"Reviewed by committee; decision pending" = waitlist?

I've had 'Reviewed by committee; decision pending" since 1/22/09. Not very nice if you ask me.... :?

Axis

Postby Axis » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:18 pm

I am under review by committee as well. Applied early January.

misbuble

Postby misbuble » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:22 pm

Speaking objectively from a top ranked school, I need to tell you people as a former FL resident-UF Law is a joke. I wouldn't attend it if they paid me 30k a year plus a full ride. Public schools in FL are in crisis, you're going to see UMiami on the rise and FSU/UF on the serious decline within the next 2-3 years b/c the way funds are being allocated. Check it out, do some research on state funding. Say good bye to your faculty and lock on the South FL market.

carrowd3

Postby carrowd3 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:25 pm

misbuble wrote:Speaking objectively from a top ranked school, I need to tell you people as a former FL resident-UF Law is a joke. I wouldn't attend it if they paid me 30k a year plus a full ride. Public schools in FL are in crisis, you're going to see UMiami on the rise and FSU/UF on the serious decline within the next 2-3 years b/c the way funds are being allocated. Check it out, do some research on state funding. Say good bye to your faculty and lock on the South FL market.

Good. Because I'm leaning toward taking a full scholarship offer from Stetson.

jgerber9

Postby jgerber9 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:28 pm

misbuble wrote:Speaking objectively from a top ranked school, I need to tell you people as a former FL resident-UF Law is a joke. I wouldn't attend it if they paid me 30k a year plus a full ride. Public schools in FL are in crisis, you're going to see UMiami on the rise and FSU/UF on the serious decline within the next 2-3 years b/c the way funds are being allocated. Check it out, do some research on state funding. Say good bye to your faculty and lock on the South FL market.

I actually agree with you. I'm at UF undergrad right now and there are funding cuts everywhere. There is absolutely no money left in the state of Florida it seems. UF may will be on the decline soon. It won't be overnight though. Still a top 50 school for both undergrad and law school; takes more than a couple years for credibility to decline.

misbuble

Postby misbuble » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:29 pm

If you have interest in the Tampa Bay area, and you are confident you will graduate in the top third of your class, I'd encourage you to take the money. I'd be much more confident with UMiami however. Again, I'd so some research.

carrowd3

Postby carrowd3 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:37 pm

misbuble wrote:If you have interest in the Tampa Bay area, and you are confident you will graduate in the top third of your class, I'd encourage you to take the money. I'd be much more confident with UMiami however. Again, I'd so some research.

I will be doing IP (patent) law. I'm hoping that my specialty will eliminate some of the dependence on school ranking and class ranking to get a job. Maybe I'm naive. :shock:

misbuble

Postby misbuble » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:41 pm

I don't know enough to confirm or deny that, however from a boarderline Tier 2/3 school like Stetson, I'd say aiming for the top thrid should be your goal regardless. If your offered a full ride, your more qualified than most students there, it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:04 pm

I'd be much more confident with UMiami however.

Even with a half tuition scholarship to UMiami, you're still paying almost twice the amount you would for three years at UF (w/ residency), no? That is a tough sell for me.

midrangejumper

Postby midrangejumper » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:06 pm

mistergoft wrote:
I'd be much more confident with UMiami however.

Even with a half tuition scholarship to UMiami, you're still paying almost twice the amount you would for three years at UF (w/ residency), no? That is a tough sell for me.

in state, but out of state the tuition overall is only about a 5 grand per year difference at UF/FSU compared to miami

waker57

Postby waker57 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:08 pm

Yeah but almost everyone gets residency status for UF and FSU for 2-3L

ajf110577

Postby ajf110577 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:14 pm

waker57 wrote:Yeah but almost everyone gets residency status for UF and FSU for 2-3L

Florida State's website specifically mentions that this may be a thing of the past. The legislature is expected to change the state policy and make it much harder to obtain residency once already enrolled. Given the budget situation I see it becoming significantly harder to qualify for residency.

waker57

Postby waker57 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:17 pm

ajf110577 wrote:
waker57 wrote:Yeah but almost everyone gets residency status for UF and FSU for 2-3L

Florida State's website specifically mentions that this may be a thing of the past. The legislature is expected to change the state policy and make it much harder to obtain residency once already enrolled. Given the budget situation I see it becoming significantly harder to qualify for residency.

Can you send me the link to that page?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”