University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby trialjunky » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:20 pm

.
Last edited by trialjunky on Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redsox77
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby redsox77 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:17 pm

Does anyone else who is suffering on the WL have an idea to the amount of accepted people who have already withdrawn? Just wondering if they might start to tell some WL people even before the May 15th seat deposit deadline...wishful thinking I know!

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby trialjunky » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:09 pm

.
Last edited by trialjunky on Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Its on Seabass
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Its on Seabass » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:27 pm

Any of you guys on the WL send in an LOCI? And if so did you send in email or a letter?

redsox77
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby redsox77 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:35 pm

Its on Seabass wrote:Any of you guys on the WL send in an LOCI? And if so did you send in email or a letter?


I did both!

trialjunky wrote:
redsox77 wrote: Is it May 15th? I thought it was May 1st


It is definitely May 15th

User avatar
ticklememauve
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:12 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby ticklememauve » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:49 pm

Its on Seabass wrote:Any of you guys on the WL send in an LOCI? And if so did you send in email or a letter?


I went the old-fashioned letter route. Just put it in the mail today. ::fingers crossed::

cigator
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby cigator » Wed May 05, 2010 10:22 am

Anyone fancy a guess how many may come off the waitlist? Does contacting UF Law at this point really make a difference, or is the waitlist already sloted for offers if seats open.

redsox77
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby redsox77 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:08 pm

cigator wrote:Anyone fancy a guess how many may come off the waitlist? Does contacting UF Law at this point really make a difference, or is the waitlist already sloted for offers if seats open.


They would never actually tell you if they have the wait list slotted or not (they say they will reevaluate the whole wait list as seats become available), but it is hard to imagine that they don't already a very short top of the list already.

GatorBait09
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:02 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby GatorBait09 » Sun May 09, 2010 1:59 am

redsox77 wrote:
cigator wrote:Anyone fancy a guess how many may come off the waitlist? Does contacting UF Law at this point really make a difference, or is the waitlist already sloted for offers if seats open.


They would never actually tell you if they have the wait list slotted or not (they say they will reevaluate the whole wait list as seats become available), but it is hard to imagine that they don't already a very short top of the list already.


I've heard up to 5 seats COULD be available. And with that low of a number they might not even make any more offers. :|

DownandOutTally
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:52 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby DownandOutTally » Sun May 09, 2010 8:51 pm

5 seats? Well, unless there is another waitlist they're pulling from, then I don't know what explains the fact that 77 people got in off a waitlist last year. Or maybe this year is just that much shittier in the conext of law school admissions.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby JCougar » Sun May 09, 2010 9:02 pm

GatorBait09 wrote:
redsox77 wrote:
cigator wrote:Anyone fancy a guess how many may come off the waitlist? Does contacting UF Law at this point really make a difference, or is the waitlist already sloted for offers if seats open.


They would never actually tell you if they have the wait list slotted or not (they say they will reevaluate the whole wait list as seats become available), but it is hard to imagine that they don't already a very short top of the list already.


I've heard up to 5 seats COULD be available. And with that low of a number they might not even make any more offers. :|


Who did you "hear" this from?

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby trialjunky » Mon May 10, 2010 5:53 am

JCougar wrote:
GatorBait09 wrote:
redsox77 wrote:
cigator wrote:Anyone fancy a guess how many may come off the waitlist? Does contacting UF Law at this point really make a difference, or is the waitlist already sloted for offers if seats open.


They would never actually tell you if they have the wait list slotted or not (they say they will reevaluate the whole wait list as seats become available), but it is hard to imagine that they don't already a very short top of the list already.


I've heard up to 5 seats COULD be available. And with that low of a number they might not even make any more offers. :|


Who did you "hear" this from?


Yeah, what's your source. Also, does UF have 2 seat deposits like normal or just one? If two, when's the 2nd deposit?

Wall2Law
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:18 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Wall2Law » Mon May 10, 2010 10:55 am

Five is a complete bull&%$ statement.. They wouldn't waitlist half the continent to take only 5. They obviously shot the moon on a large number of students, which is why the WL pool is so extreme.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby JCougar » Mon May 10, 2010 10:59 am

Wall2Law wrote:Five is a complete bull&%$ statement.. They wouldn't waitlist half the continent to take only 5. They obviously shot the moon on a large number of students, which is why the WL pool is so extreme.


Obviously. UF has no idea how many seats will be available until their seat deposit deadlines come up.

Low-post-count posters on many threads always show up claiming they "know" or "heard" something that the school itself couldn't even possibly know. Usually what they "know" is intended to cause panic and cause people to withdraw.

redsox77
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby redsox77 » Mon May 10, 2010 11:46 am

Wall2Law wrote:Low-post-count posters on many threads always show up claiming they "know" or "heard" something that the school itself couldn't even possibly know. Usually what they "know" is intended to cause panic and cause people to withdraw.


Someone saying they know that 5 seats will be available is completely ridiculous. I agree with JCougar, probably someone with weak stats trying to cause a panic withdrawal from some students higher up the wait list. Could have at least picked a more realistic blatantly false number than 5 though.

redsox77
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby redsox77 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:31 pm

Has anyone come across any info relating to how many people who were originally accepted have already withdrawn? Trying to figure out where a 161/3.68 really stands for a shot of actually getting an offer. Thanks.

User avatar
badpixie
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby badpixie » Tue May 11, 2010 4:08 pm

Withdrew today. Hope my spot goes to a worthy TLSer!

GatorBait09
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:02 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby GatorBait09 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:28 am

redsox77 wrote:
Wall2Law wrote:Low-post-count posters on many threads always show up claiming they "know" or "heard" something that the school itself couldn't even possibly know. Usually what they "know" is intended to cause panic and cause people to withdraw.


Someone saying they know that 5 seats will be available is completely ridiculous. I agree with JCougar, probably someone with weak stats trying to cause a panic withdrawal from some students higher up the wait list. Could have at least picked a more realistic blatantly false number than 5 though.


Hmmm, I agree...except I'm already going to Levin. Good luck with your WL though. (edit: haha you too JCougar; wow, that sucks)

And for the poster who asked, there's only one deposit.

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby trialjunky » Thu May 13, 2010 12:04 pm

GatorBait09 wrote:
redsox77 wrote:
Wall2Law wrote:Low-post-count posters on many threads always show up claiming they "know" or "heard" something that the school itself couldn't even possibly know. Usually what they "know" is intended to cause panic and cause people to withdraw.


Someone saying they know that 5 seats will be available is completely ridiculous. I agree with JCougar, probably someone with weak stats trying to cause a panic withdrawal from some students higher up the wait list. Could have at least picked a more realistic blatantly false number than 5 though.


Hmmm, I agree...except I'm already going to Levin. Good luck with your WL though. (edit: haha you too JCougar; wow, that sucks)

And for the poster who asked, there's only one deposit.



You just depressed me. :(

anders08
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby anders08 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:38 pm

Saturday is the seat deposit deadline. Anybody sent in any last minute acceptances or withdrawals this week?

User avatar
SAE
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby SAE » Fri May 14, 2010 9:17 am

Any chance of getting $$ after the deposit deadline? I'm willing to take it for $200.

anders08
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby anders08 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:03 pm

i spoke with carol huber in the financial aid office. she said that as of now all of the merit and need based aid has been distributed. but she said if more becomes available because people decline offers or withdraw, that everyone will be reevaluated and funds could be distributed through the summer. doesnt seem very likely though.

renata96
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby renata96 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:08 pm

How binding is the deposit?

GatorBait09
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:02 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby GatorBait09 » Fri May 14, 2010 2:07 pm

renata96 wrote:How binding is the deposit?


It's "binding." Your seat deposit is actually a contract. While all schools are different, UF makes you agree upon paying the seat deposit that you will immediately withdraw all applications from schools to which you've been ACCEPTED. You are allowed to remain on waitlists, deferred lists, or whatever it may be called.

Realistically, however, you won't be punished for not withdrawing your apps or paying multiple seat deposits until you make a decision (most likely bc you're waiting for scholly/loan info). And I would assumed most admissions offices know this, so just realize it's an option. Some people might say it's unethical (bc they're probably on the WL), but I see no problem with it. Law school is a huge deal, and you've had the privilege of being accepted wherever you have, so do what you need to do. And of course people are naturally risk-averse, so dropping a few hundred on a couple seat depositis isn't that big of a deal.

I did withdraw all of my apps though (except WLs of course), for what it's worth. But I understand people who enter into multiple "contracts."

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby trialjunky » Fri May 14, 2010 3:16 pm

.
Last edited by trialjunky on Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kdonohue, proteinshake, Yahoo [Bot] and 36 guests