University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cao0008
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby cao0008 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:39 am

nbatty wrote:I'd want my money back if my package (whenever it gets here) is the small one and not the big one.

If I get rejected, I'd better get it back. If I'm accepted, I'll be at UF in the fall.



My point is does it make any difference if you paid yesterday or if you paid once you were sure you were in?

GatorBait09
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:02 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby GatorBait09 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:09 pm

Just something general some of you may be interested in:

I emailed one of the professors on the admissions council about financial aid and he replied that they are still giving out merit-based scholarships on a weekly basis and will be doing so through at least the end of May. Apparently they meet once a week, review some apps, and give out some money where they see fit.

Just wanted to give some of you hope who haven't seen any $ yet.

coleab5
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:21 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby coleab5 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:34 pm

Accepted today via snail mail!! DLIT 3/25

nbatty
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby nbatty » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:59 pm

cao000000008,

nm.

User avatar
jlnoa0915
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:25 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby jlnoa0915 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:23 pm

so after being DP since 12/17....accepted today, DLIT 3/25.

UCF_VP
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:05 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby UCF_VP » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:13 pm

Accepted DLIT 3/25

ShiftyPig
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:18 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby ShiftyPig » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:25 pm

Lomax wrote:
ShiftyPig wrote:All I'm going to say is that anybody going to the ASD should take a very, very critical look at the career center. Which, if I'm not mistaken, is why you're going to lawl skool in the first place.

Edit: I hope the swear filter shenanigans are just an April Fool's thing.


You're a shifty pig, and you're full of lard if you think that "a critical look at the career center" would prove your falsehood. In fact, one should only discredit you - a good many more Florida employers did OCI at UF than at any other law school in Florida most recently, relatively speaking. In absolute terms, of course UF has trouble placing grads these days. So does every other law school outside of the T-14.


Right, what do I know.... I only went there. You, as a 0L, clearly know everything about state-wide OCI. Did you watch OCI play out on Simplicity? No. Do you know what the first opening on the non-traditional opportunity list was? No. Answer: Dean of UCLA Law School.

I suggest that - unless your goal is a complete dressing down - you should cut the faux expert bit. I'd be happy to give it to you over PM if you want to get it out of the way before it's one of your classmates doing it. If I shut betasteve down when he tried to play the alpha TLS-er card, I'm sure you'd be much, much easier.

Edit to add: congrats to all the 3/25 in folks. Lots of people get stuck on the outside looking in.

nbatty
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby nbatty » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:49 pm

I think my mailman forgot about me. I'm in the 'ville.

FlowB?

farewelltoarms
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:12 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby farewelltoarms » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:56 pm

So UF is still giving out acceptances..... I coulda sworn though that the message on the waitlist read ''At this time, UF has extended all its offers for Fall 2010. Perhaps I'm just making too literal of a reading. Anyway though, congrats to those who got in!

User avatar
Lomax
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:40 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby Lomax » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:06 pm

ShiftyPig wrote:
Lomax wrote:
ShiftyPig wrote:All I'm going to say is that anybody going to the ASD should take a very, very critical look at the career center. Which, if I'm not mistaken, is why you're going to lawl skool in the first place.

Edit: I hope the swear filter shenanigans are just an April Fool's thing.


You're a shifty pig, and you're full of lard if you think that "a critical look at the career center" would prove your falsehood. In fact, one should only discredit you - a good many more Florida employers did OCI at UF than at any other law school in Florida most recently, relatively speaking. In absolute terms, of course UF has trouble placing grads these days. So does every other law school outside of the T-14.


Right, what do I know.... I only went there. You, as a 0L, clearly know everything about state-wide OCI. Did you watch OCI play out on Simplicity? No. Do you know what the first opening on the non-traditional opportunity list was? No. Answer: Dean of UCLA Law School.

I suggest that - unless your goal is a complete dressing down - you should cut the faux expert bit. I'd be happy to give it to you over PM if you want to get it out of the way before it's one of your classmates doing it. If I shut betasteve down when he tried to play the alpha TLS-er card, I'm sure you'd be much, much easier.

Edit to add: congrats to all the 3/25 in folks. Lots of people get stuck on the outside looking in.


I figured you'd say something like that, having attended UF for a semester before dropping out for business school (as appears to be the case from your previous posts). I don't claim to be any sort of expert - I only claim to have a good head on me. I don't think that you can claim to be much of an expert either, regardless of your having some first-hand experience. Here we have you refuting my argument for a degree from UF giving one an advantage in seeking legal employment in Florida. To support your argument, you vaguely refer to the UF career center, and, presumably, UF's absolute job placement performance. I counter your argument by referring to OCI data that shows UF receiving more interest from Florida firms relative to other Florida law schools. You respond to that with "your OCI data doesn't count and I know more than you". Maybe you're right on the first of those last two points; if so, then this is one big lie: --LinkRemoved--

I don't doubt that our job opportunities will suck coming out of UF, as they would coming out of any other law school. I am sure that you made a great decision, dropping out for business school. However, I am also quite confident that graduating from UF, all else being equal, will give us an advantage, however slight, as compared to graduating from another school of similar or lower ranking when seeking legal employment in Florida.

As for your "dressing down" - save it for someone who could actually use it.

My congrats go to the 3/25ers as well. Quite a pleasant surprise.

nbatty
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby nbatty » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:02 pm

DLIT 3/25. Big white envelope this afternoon. See y'all in the fall!

ShiftyPig
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:18 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby ShiftyPig » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:45 pm

Lomax wrote:
ShiftyPig wrote:Right, what do I know.... I only went there. You, as a 0L, clearly know everything about state-wide OCI. Did you watch OCI play out on Simplicity? No. Do you know what the first opening on the non-traditional opportunity list was? No. Answer: Dean of UCLA Law School.

I suggest that - unless your goal is a complete dressing down - you should cut the faux expert bit. I'd be happy to give it to you over PM if you want to get it out of the way before it's one of your classmates doing it. If I shut betasteve down when he tried to play the alpha TLS-er card, I'm sure you'd be much, much easier.

Edit to add: congrats to all the 3/25 in folks. Lots of people get stuck on the outside looking in.


I figured you'd say something like that, having attended UF for a semester before dropping out for business school (as appears to be the case from your previous posts). I don't claim to be any sort of expert - I only claim to have a good head on me. I don't think that you can claim to be much of an expert either, regardless of your having some first-hand experience. Here we have you refuting my argument for a degree from UF giving one an advantage in seeking legal employment in Florida. To support your argument, you vaguely refer to the UF career center, and, presumably, UF's absolute job placement performance. I counter your argument by referring to OCI data that shows UF receiving more interest from Florida firms relative to other Florida law schools. You respond to that with "your OCI data doesn't count and I know more than you". Maybe you're right on the first of those last two points; if so, then this is one big lie: --LinkRemoved--

I don't doubt that our job opportunities will suck coming out of UF, as they would coming out of any other law school. I am sure that you made a great decision, dropping out for business school. However, I am also quite confident that graduating from UF, all else being equal, will give us an advantage, however slight, as compared to graduating from another school of similar or lower ranking when seeking legal employment in Florida.

As for your "dressing down" - save it for someone who could actually use it.

My congrats go to the 3/25ers as well. Quite a pleasant surprise.


The gunner in you is strong. You can troll someone's post history (and f**k it up quite well, mind you) and yet completely forget the original discussion that UF places better than FSU. I even bolded it for you.

I never once attempted to "refut[e] [your] argument for a degree from UF giving one an advantage in seeking legal employment in Florida." That characterization is incorrect, unprofessional, embarrassing, and, frankly, would get your ass handed to you in your career. When I made a general statement - to a board of people interested in UF Law - that he/she/it should press the career center when it will (undoubtedly) be presenting a rosy picture, you took it upon yourself to whip your TLS c**k out and act like you are the pro and throw out some pointless, softball tangent.

You came in to whatever battle you manufactured, guns semi-blazing, with OCI stats that you clearly haven't taken the time to comprehend. Did you look at the number of duplicates on the lists? They do that because, shock, it looks better on the career center to have "twelve" firms show up when in reality it's one firm listing its offices in Wisconsin, Virginia, and random places it will never place anyone out of UF/Miami/FSU. Once you knock out the dup's and adjust for FSU being half the size of UF, I think you'd be surprised and wouldn't lean so heavily on that. 10 firms showing up for 20 students is the equivalent of 10,000 firms showing up for 20,000 students - that doesn't mean that the school with 10,000 firms showing up is, in your words, "receiving more interest from Florida firms relative to other Florida law schools." And you're failing to account for FSU's superior government/court placement. So basically, your silver bullet is a big bunch of fail, which might explain why you're going to the 51st-ranked law school: inability to comprehend data.

I left for four reasons: 1) long-term career prospects. 2) classmates were absolute idiots. 3) the firm I planned to work for was decimated by the economy/personal issues (long story, don't ask). 4) Got a 770 on the GMAT. I could rail on UF Law but I don't - it's good for what it is, cheap and places well for what it is (ie, not great). When I tell people to be critical of the career center, it's disrespectful to the rest of the forum to hijack the discussion with your idiotic point. If I were them, I'd be doing my best to figure out who you are with the goal of avoiding you come August.

User avatar
Lomax
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:40 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby Lomax » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:39 am

ShiftyPig wrote:I never once attempted to "refut[e] [your] argument for a degree from UF giving one an advantage in seeking legal employment in Florida." That characterization is incorrect, unprofessional, embarrassing, and, frankly, would get your ass handed to you in your career. When I made a general statement - to a board of people interested in UF Law - that he/she/it should press the career center when it will (undoubtedly) be presenting a rosy picture, you took it upon yourself to whip your TLS c**k out and act like you are the pro and throw out some pointless, softball tangent.

You came in to whatever battle you manufactured, guns semi-blazing, with OCI stats that you clearly haven't taken the time to comprehend. Did you look at the number of duplicates on the lists? They do that because, shock, it looks better on the career center to have "twelve" firms show up when in reality it's one firm listing its offices in Wisconsin, Virginia, and random places it will never place anyone out of UF/Miami/FSU. Once you knock out the dup's and adjust for FSU being half the size of UF, I think you'd be surprised and wouldn't lean so heavily on that. 10 firms showing up for 20 students is the equivalent of 10,000 firms showing up for 20,000 students - that doesn't mean that the school with 10,000 firms showing up is, in your words, "receiving more interest from Florida firms relative to other Florida law schools." And you're failing to account for FSU's superior government/court placement. So basically, your silver bullet is a big bunch of fail, which might explain why you're going to the 51st-ranked law school: inability to comprehend data.

I left for four reasons: 1) long-term career prospects. 2) classmates were absolute idiots. 3) the firm I planned to work for was decimated by the economy/personal issues (long story, don't ask). 4) Got a 770 on the GMAT. I could rail on UF Law but I don't - it's good for what it is, cheap and places well for what it is (ie, not great). When I tell people to be critical of the career center, it's disrespectful to the rest of the forum to hijack the discussion with your idiotic point. If I were them, I'd be doing my best to figure out who you are with the goal of avoiding you come August.


You most certainly have denied the validity of my argument (that a degree from UF gives one an advantage in seeking legal employment in Florida) - see "TI-sofarfrom-TCR-thatit'slaughable.." and practically everything you've said after for evidence of that. If that is not "attempting to refute", then what is?

As my post history (which I in no way expect you to examine) shows, I have considered the duplicates and nature of the listed interviewers. I have also accounted for differences in class sizes. The fact remains that the OCI data shows that UF holds an advantage (though only a slight one) over FSU, according to my calculations, which show a class size ratio of 1.72 in UF's favor and a OCI ratio of 1.92 in UF's favor. This estimation is obviously very imperfect, and I fully expect you to criticize it for being so, but it is hardly the "big bunch of fail" you wish it could be for your purposes of denegration. I also believe that OCI results not adjusted for class size (which very heavily favor UF) should also be taken into consideration, given that every one of the Florida firms that chose to interview at UF but chose not to interview at FSU showed preference of UF over FSU. As for FSU's superior government/court placement - we've heard a lot about it, but where are the statistics? If it is verifiable, then perhaps it is simply due to student preference; those who go to FSU generally have a greater desire to work in government or the courts.

I think it quite idiotic of you to label my point - that UF does offer those who choose to go there an advantage in seeking legal employment in Florida - as "idiotic" when (a) it is well-founded, and (b) I have made it only because you seem to be trying to influence those who are trying to decide whether or not to go there to think otherwise. I also think it appaling that you would spew such garbage as this:

ShiftyPig wrote:...which might explain why you're going to the 51st-ranked law school: inability to comprehend data.
. . . .
I left for four reasons: . . . 2) classmates were absolute idiots.
. . . .
If I were them, I'd be doing my best to figure out who you are with the goal of avoiding you come August.


You have (or at least should have) offended everyone who is attending or hoping to attend UF. You should even have offended yourself, given that you yourself could not do any better than the 51st-ranked law school (oh, but that's right - you got a 770 on the GMAT). I once thought you to be genuinely helpful, but now it has become fairly obvious that you are here simply to show off your superiority.

I do not wish to taint this thread any further with our back-and-forth, and will consider this discussion over unless you respond in such a way that forces me to do so in kind. Feel free to PM if necessary.

User avatar
AJaKe
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:13 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby AJaKe » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:00 am

.
Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GatorStudent
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby GatorStudent » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:37 am

ShiftyPig wrote:2) classmates were absolute idiots.


That really is a shame that you think that way. I can assure you that there are some very smart people here.

Emma1
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Emma1 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:29 am

There seem to be plenty of faux experts on this forum :shock:

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby miamiman » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:35 am

Lomax,

While I have no dog in this race, specifically your tussle with Pig, I would caution you against relying at all upon OCI at UF. As you can find several pages earlier, I did have face to face communication with the Dean who was not even the littlest bit upbeat about big firm hiring through OCI - the only type of hiring that is relevant during early interviewing week.

In all likelihood, your first job out of UF will come by way of some interplay of contacts, grades, and good fortune -- not OCI. Thus, id suggest you disregard the statistically insignificant disparity in OCI b/w FSU and UF.

tebow4president
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:19 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby tebow4president » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:13 am

miamiman wrote:Lomax,

While I have no dog in this race, specifically your tussle with Pig, I would caution you against relying at all upon OCI at UF. As you can find several pages earlier, I did have face to face communication with the Dean who was not even the littlest bit upbeat about big firm hiring through OCI - the only type of hiring that is relevant during early interviewing week.

In all likelihood, your first job out of UF will come by way of some interplay of contacts, grades, and good fortune -- not OCI. Thus, id suggest you disregard the statistically insignificant disparity in OCI b/w FSU and UF.


the bolded is all i meant when i said UF owns this state. unlike many gators, i dont bag on FSU left and right (except when it comes to relative female attractiveness lol), but outside of the Panhandle, Florida is completely Gator Nation. If you want a gov't job then yeah FSU is probably a bit ahead since Tallahassee is the capital, but if you want to work in Tampa/Ft Lauderdale/Miami not going to UF is almost an absurd decision. I guess UMiami might be a good choice if you would REALLY prefer to live in an awesome city during LS instead of Gainesville instead of maximizing your chances at a better firm post-graduation.

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby miamiman » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:23 am

Truthfully, I don't know how far alumni networks go ITE. I'm sure FSU, Miami, FIU, etc all sell themselves on alumni networks too. I'm sure Gator Nation is a strong one but ND especially prides themselves on alumni networking and those kids had an infamously difficult time getting jobs.

Be skeptical when someone says alumni take care of their kids. I'm just not sure how much traction that statement has. Id be far more inclined to believe friends of friends and friends of family are linking ppl into jobs

GatorStudent
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby GatorStudent » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:21 pm

miamiman wrote:Lomax,

While I have no dog in this race, specifically your tussle with Pig, I would caution you against relying at all upon OCI at UF.



Agreed. For those who don't know, I (as you can tell from the s/n!) go to UF law.

miamiman wrote: As you can find several pages earlier, I did have face to face communication with the Dean who was not even the littlest bit upbeat about big firm hiring through OCI - the only type of hiring that is relevant during early interviewing week.


Many firms coming to OCI either aren't hiring and coming to UF merely to save face, or are hiring very limited numbers. Also, I know of quite a few people on LR who were no-offered after their 2L summer because of the economy. The advantages of UF over FSU wrt OCI, which primarily involves biglaw and midlaw, may indeed be negligible in this economy. Many firms have been candid, and told students that in previous years, they would have been hired in an instant, but it's simply a different ballgame now. While I agree that theoretically, UF probably does better with "small law," I agree with miamiman's statement below that....

miamiman wrote:In all likelihood, your first job out of UF will come by way of some interplay of contacts, grades, and good fortune -- not OCI.

ShiftyPig
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:18 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby ShiftyPig » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:57 pm

Lomax wrote:You most certainly have denied the validity of my argument (that a degree from UF gives one an advantage in seeking legal employment in Florida) - see "TI-sofarfrom-TCR-thatit'slaughable.." and practically everything you've said after for evidence of that. If that is not "attempting to refute", then what is?


So you are tebow4president?

ShiftyPig wrote:
tebow4president wrote:Sean I am currently an undergrad here. Even if FSU gives money, I have to say come to UF. That is being completely objective, btw. If you want to end up working in FL, UF gets first pick pretty much across the board. Not to mention, even though Thassee is the capital, Gainesville is about 100000x better of a place to live.


TI-sofarfrom-TCR-thatit'slaughable..


I even bolded the point for you originally, but you subsequently launched on a tangent. You took an FSU/UF discussion and extended it to the entire state. Crap like that sends you to the bottom of the class.

Do not ever, ever misrepresent what I say.

tebow4president
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:19 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby tebow4president » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:32 pm

ShiftyPig wrote:So you are tebow4president?

lol no, he is not. it often happens that 2 different ppl can make the same argument. that doesnt make them the same person hahahaha. good thing you dropped law school for that MBA. critical reading skills like that send you to the bottom of the class.

User avatar
Lomax
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:40 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby Lomax » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:26 pm

ShiftyPig wrote:
Lomax wrote:You most certainly have denied the validity of my argument (that a degree from UF gives one an advantage in seeking legal employment in Florida) - see "TI-sofarfrom-TCR-thatit'slaughable.." and practically everything you've said after for evidence of that. If that is not "attempting to refute", then what is?


So you are tebow4president?

ShiftyPig wrote:
tebow4president wrote:Sean I am currently an undergrad here. Even if FSU gives money, I have to say come to UF. That is being completely objective, btw. If you want to end up working in FL, UF gets first pick pretty much across the board. Not to mention, even though Thassee is the capital, Gainesville is about 100000x better of a place to live.


TI-sofarfrom-TCR-thatit'slaughable..


I even bolded the point for you originally, but you subsequently launched on a tangent. You took an FSU/UF discussion and extended it to the entire state. Crap like that sends you to the bottom of the class.

Do not ever, ever misrepresent what I say.


No, I am not tebow4president. I understand that your original point was not specifically the one in contention now. However, as I said before, by denying the validity of my argument (that a degree from UF gives one an advantage in seeking legal employment in Florida) - which you have done, in a variety of ways - you have, in effect, attempted to refute my argument. I do not believe that I have misrepresented your behavior in any way.

miamiman wrote:Lomax,

While I have no dog in this race, specifically your tussle with Pig, I would caution you against relying at all upon OCI at UF. As you can find several pages earlier, I did have face to face communication with the Dean who was not even the littlest bit upbeat about big firm hiring through OCI - the only type of hiring that is relevant during early interviewing week.

In all likelihood, your first job out of UF will come by way of some interplay of contacts, grades, and good fortune -- not OCI. Thus, id suggest you disregard the statistically insignificant disparity in OCI b/w FSU and UF.


As I've said before, I realize that one is not likely at present to secure employment through OCI at Florida schools. However, I do find it useful to look to OCI numbers for a rough indication of which schools are generally preferred by firms.

DownandOutTally
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:52 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby DownandOutTally » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:56 pm

Beside the fact that the past posts on this topic are frustratingly prejudiced towards UF's supposed superiority, I'd also like to say that those discussions should probably be on a different thread other than "Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists." If I wanted to read these rants, then I wouldn't have clicked this forum.

Emma1
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Emma1 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:35 pm

It would be nice to get back on topic.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, nslaw123 and 13 guests