University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lomax

Re: University of Florida

Postby Lomax » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:36 pm

cao0008 wrote:
cao0008 wrote:I am an URM. Is UF hurting that bad for diversity? I wouldn't have thought so. Perfect picture JCougar! If you haven't yet noticed, being a URM gives you a boost when applying to just about any law school. UF isn't "hurting that bad for diversity", I don't think, but it still benefit...

I can almost guarantee you that you were awarded as much money as you were because of your ethnicity. Whether or not you consider yourself to be technically-qualified as a URM at this moment is irrelevant. I do apologize for misrepresenting your gender. I abide by the Laws of the Internet.

Also, cao0008, I want you to consider this - LSN shows only one other "non-URM" with an LSAT score under 164 getting over $20,000 (a white guy with strong softs going by "Pseudonym"). Both you and the other guy applied to Emory, a school notorious for favoring URMs. The other guy got waitlisted. You got accepted and were offered $42,000. You also both applied to Washington and Lee. You got in; he got waitlisted.

lol First of all, if you're going to quote my history, at least make sure I wrote what it says there. The quote that you have is a quote that I made of someone else's post who said they were a URM, not me. If you click on it, you'll see that I was just answering a question I think. So I'm not a crazy person who randomly decides is a URM or not depending on the day. I'm not saying that being Hispanic doesn't give me some kind of boost, I'm just saying is that it will not give me the kind of boost that it gives URMs. I still think that saying that I got the $30,000 just because I'm Hispanic is arguable. Now, stop the stalking :P

:lol: Oops. Post history doesn't show quotes - quotes appear as original comments, hence my mistaking your quoting some guy's declaration of being a URM for your own. I'll stop the stalking... for now. :wink: But the evidence is there (comparison between you and that other guy on LSN, comparisons between you and whites with superior numbers and comparable softs) for anyone to consider as they'd like. It is true that whether or not you got the $30,000 (rather than a lesser amount) just because you're Hispanic cannot, practically speaking, be definitively proven one way or another.

fcowrx

Postby fcowrx » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:34 pm

Are any of you going to the ASD on April 23? How about the president's dinner? Plan on taking a guest to the dinner?

Not sure if this has been answered before, but, does UF offer travel stipends/reimbursement at all?

Sean Bateman

Postby Sean Bateman » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:44 am

Fcow, I think we will be at the same ASD...look forward to meeting you there

Thanks everyone for the scholarship info i asked for....

Unfortunately, with a 3.4/165 and non-URM i'm not expecting a ton of money. FSU wants to discuss scholarship with me tomorrow morning. Unless I am truly blown away at ASD, I don't know how realistic UF is for me.

At the same time, I have a girlfriend who is willing to relocate to g-ville (and only gville) and a dad who did UF undergrad, was rejected from the law school (he blames affirmative action) and is seriously pushing for me to become a gator. Will keep everyone updated.

tebow4president

Postby tebow4president » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:02 am

Sean I am currently an undergrad here. Even if FSU gives money, I have to say come to UF. That is being completely objective, btw. If you want to end up working in FL, UF gets first pick pretty much across the board. Not to mention, even though Thassee is the capital, Gainesville is about 100000x better of a place to live.

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:24 am

cao0008 wrote:
cao0008 wrote:I am an URM. Is UF hurting that bad for diversity? I wouldn't have thought so. Perfect picture JCougar! If you haven't yet noticed, being a URM gives you a boost when applying to just about any lawl skool. UF isn't "hurting that bad for diversity", I don't think, but it still benefit...

I can almost guarantee you that you were awarded as much money as you were because of your ethnicity. Whether or not you consider yourself to be technically-qualified as a URM at this moment is irrelevant. I do apologize for misrepresenting your gender. I abide by the Laws of the Internet.

Also, cao0008, I want you to consider this - LSN shows only one other "non-URM" with an LSAT score under 164 getting over $20,000 (a white guy with strong softs going by "Pseudonym"). Both you and the other guy applied to Emory, a school notorious for favoring URMs. The other guy got waitlisted. You got accepted and were offered $42,000. You also both applied to Washington and Lee. You got in; he got waitlisted.

your attempt at humor is the most laughable thing about your post; sadly, it is not that laughable First of all, if you're going to quote my history, at least make sure I wrote what it says there. The quote that you have is a quote that I made of someone else's post who said they were a URM, not me. If you click on it, you'll see that I was just answering a question I think. So I'm not a crazy person who randomly decides is a URM or not depending on the day. I'm not saying that being Hispanic doesn't give me some kind of boost, I'm just saying is that it will not give me the kind of boost that it gives URMs. I still think that saying that I got the 30,000 just because I'm Hispanic is arguable. Now, stop the stalking :P

It's not really laughable. It's a pretty well evidenced fact. UF wants to maintain their ranking as #1 for hispanic students, so they seem to be throwing most of their money at top hispanic candidates, even if they are middle of the pack over all.

legaleagle12345

Postby legaleagle12345 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:19 am

hey guys, first time poster. i went Decision in transit on 3/25 and haven't received it in the mail yet. I tried logging in to pay the seat deposit for the past few days and it wouldn't let me. Today, however, it took my information and moved on to the next screen to let me pay it. Did I get in? Can this be for waitlists too?

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:25 am

DLIT 4/1 Now the wait begins. I'm hoping that the letter gets here before next weekend, because I will be in FL on vacation later this month, and I'd like to add a visit to the school if there's a chance that I'm going to be there next year.

Any feeling about whether the 4/1 batch are acceptances, waitlists or rejections?

flowb

Postby flowb » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:12 pm

legaleagle12345 wrote:hey guys, first time poster. i went Decision in transit on 3/25 and haven't received it in the mail yet. I tried logging in to pay the seat deposit for the past few days and it wouldn't let me. Today, however, it took my information and moved on to the next screen to let me pay it. Did I get in? Can this be for waitlists too?

Wow, same thing happened to me. I am trying to find a friends who didn't get in to attempt to do the same thing and see if it works. Wouldn't it be ironic if after all the analyzing that has gone down on this thread trying to decipher the contents of DITs, all we needed to do was try to pay the seat deposit. I'm not popping the champaigne until I check my mail though.

legaleagle12345

Postby legaleagle12345 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:15 pm

awesome, please keep me updated flowb, my mail comes reeeeal late

flowb

Postby flowb » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:18 pm

I think I just registered for admitted students day. This will be awkward if I don't get in.

maroe

Postby maroe » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:20 pm

badpixie wrote:DLIT 4/1 Now the wait begins. I'm hoping that the letter gets here before next weekend, because I will be in FL on vacation later this month, and I'd like to add a visit to the school if there's a chance that I'm going to be there next year.

Any feeling about whether the 4/1 batch are acceptances, waitlists or rejections?

DLIT 4/1 for me as well. 3.86/158 are my stats. I'm hopeful, but I truly don't know. This is from their website:
The college begins notifying applicants from the time the first decision is made until the class is filled using a “rolling admissions” process based on the credentials of the applicant, not on the order in which applications are received. Decisions are not made on a “first-come first-served” basis.

Based on that, I'd like to think the earlier they are sending letters the better, but maybe I am just being hopeful.

flowb

Postby flowb » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:28 pm

NOTHING again. Wow. I called the admissions office and they said that the decisions were either sent out friday or MONDAY... which means the 3/25ers could have a long wait still. It is fairly discouraging to me that UF would wait 3 full days after changing the status to mail the letter out, especially considering many of us have due dates for seat deposits elsewhere.... ugghh

cao0008

Postby cao0008 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:39 pm

fcowrx wrote:Are any of you going to the ASD on April 23? How about the president's dinner? Plan on taking a guest to the dinner?

Not sure if this has been answered before, but, does UF offer travel stipends/reimbursement at all?

I have to give you some advice about the dinner. Do not go there thinking you're going to get a full dinner bc you're not. Make sure you eat a regular dinner before going or at least eat more during the reception at the end of ASD, they'll have ok food there that's better than the food at the dinner. Don't make the mistake I made and leave the dinner starving! That being said, you still should go to the dinner so you are able to talk to current students and learn more about the school.

fcowrx

Postby fcowrx » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:59 pm

cao0008 wrote:
fcowrx wrote:Are any of you going to the ASD on April 23? How about the president's dinner? Plan on taking a guest to the dinner?

I have to give you some advice about the dinner. Do not go there thinking you're going to get a full dinner bc you're not. Make sure you eat a regular dinner before going or at least eat more during the reception at the end of ASD, they'll have ok food there that's better than the food at the dinner. Don't make the mistake I made and leave the dinner starving! That being said, you still should go to the dinner so you are able to talk to current students and learn more about the school.

Haha thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely have something to eat before heading over to the dinner. When you went, did most admitted students take a guest or did they mainly go alone?

nbatty

Postby nbatty » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:51 pm

Just paid. Can't hurt, right?

It's encouraging to read "We look forward to welcoming you to the College of Law in August" on the same page as my name and UFID.

Can't help but think this just might be UF pulling the world's cruelest April Fools joke.

ShiftyPig

Postby ShiftyPig » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:58 pm

cao0008 wrote:I have to give you some advice about the dinner. Do not go there thinking you're going to get a full dinner bc you're not. Make sure you eat a regular dinner before going or at least eat more during the reception at the end of ASD, they'll have ok food there that's better than the food at the dinner. Don't make the mistake I made and leave the dinner starving! That being said, you still should go to the dinner so you are able to talk to current students and learn more about the school.

Very much this. Treat it as cocktail hour to get good info from current students, but minus the booze.

tebow4president wrote:Sean I am currently an undergrad here. Even if FSU gives money, I have to say come to UF. That is being completely objective, btw. If you want to end up working in FL, UF gets first pick pretty much across the board. Not to mention, even though Thassee is the capital, Gainesville is about 100000x better of a place to live.

TI-sofarfrom-TCR-thatit'slaughable..

tebow4president

Postby tebow4president » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:56 pm

ShiftyPig wrote:

you thinking so certainly is, lol.

hahaha at the l.o.l filter
Last edited by tebow4president on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:57 pm

ShiftyPig wrote:
tebow4president wrote:Sean I am currently an undergrad here. Even if FSU gives money, I have to say come to UF. That is being completely objective, btw. If you want to end up working in FL, UF gets first pick pretty much across the board. Not to mention, even though Thassee is the capital, Gainesville is about 100000x better of a place to live.

Certainly an overstatement, but "TI-sofarfrom-TCR-thatit'slaughable"? Put in the right context, not really. It is true that UF grads generally enjoy a certain advantage over graduates of other non-T14 law schools when trying to find work within Florida.

tebow4president

Postby tebow4president » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:59 pm

Lomax wrote:
ShiftyPig wrote:

Certainly an overstatement, but "TI-sofarfrom-TCR-thatit'slaughable"? Put in the right context, not really. It is true that UF grads generally enjoy a certain advantage over graduates of other non-T13 law schools when trying to find work within Florida.

wait yeah i was (clearly in my opinion) only comparing UF to FSU. even though its only a 1 difference in the rankings, UFs stranglehold on the state is pretty apparent.

ShiftyPig

Postby ShiftyPig » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:59 am

tebow4president wrote:
Lomax wrote:
ShiftyPig wrote:

Certainly an overstatement, but "TI-sofarfrom-TCR-thatit'slaughable"? Put in the right context, not really. It is true that UF grads generally enjoy a certain advantage over graduates of other non-T13 law schools when trying to find work within Florida.

wait yeah i was (clearly in my opinion) only comparing UF to FSU. even though its only a 1 difference in the rankings, UFs stranglehold on the state is pretty apparent.

All I'm going to say is that anybody going to the ASD should take a very, very critical look at the career center. Which, if I'm not mistaken, is why you're going to law school in the first place.

Edit: I hope the swear filter shenanigans are just an April Fool's thing.

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:22 am

ShiftyPig wrote:All I'm going to say is that anybody going to the ASD should take a very, very critical look at the career center. Which, if I'm not mistaken, is why you're going to lawl skool in the first place.

Edit: I hope the swear filter shenanigans are just an April Fool's thing.

You're a shifty pig, and you're full of lard if you think that "a critical look at the career center" would prove your falsehood. In fact, one should only discredit you - a good many more Florida employers did OCI at UF than at any other law school in Florida most recently, relatively speaking. In absolute terms, of course UF has trouble placing grads these days. So does every other law school outside of the T-14.

nbatty

Postby nbatty » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:24 pm

Well, my seat deposit has been recorded on status checker.

Have any WL people tried to put down the seat deposit or register for ASD? I'm hoping I won't have to beg UF for my $200 back.

cao0008

Postby cao0008 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:22 pm

nbatty wrote:Well, my seat deposit has been recorded on status checker.

Have any WL people tried to put down the seat deposit or register for ASD? I'm hoping I won't have to beg UF for my $200 back.

Why did you pay before getting in if you wanted get your money back?
Last edited by cao0008 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cao0008

Postby cao0008 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:24 pm

fcowrx wrote:
cao0008 wrote:

Haha thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely have something to eat before heading over to the dinner. When you went, did most admitted students take a guest or did they mainly go alone?

I saw quite a few people during ASD with guests, I wouldn't say most though. I even saw some people with both of their parents there. I don't really remember if there were people with guests during the dinner, but I wasn't really paying attention.

nbatty

Postby nbatty » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:25 pm

I'd want my money back if my package (whenever it gets here) is the small one and not the big one.

If I get rejected, I'd better get it back. If I'm accepted, I'll be at UF in the fall.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”