University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
set88

Re: University of Florida

Postby set88 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:23 am

cao0008 wrote:
redvelvetccake wrote:
krissyyyum wrote:
GTLAWSCHOOL wrote:No, please explain

I received an email today asking if I'd made a decision and to let them know if there was anything they could do to facilitate my decision making process.

Also, just got an email invitation to dinner at UF's president's house in April.

I didn't get the first email but I did get the one about dinner at the president's house and one about admitted students day in April.

rad law wrote:
fcowrx wrote:Is anyone paying the seat deposit at UF in addition to another school or two? I need to submit my deposit by April 1 and won't know if I've received a scholarship at UM until after April 1. I'm from Miami so UM with a scholarship makes for a tough decision.

How serious do they take multiple seat deposits??

Call and ask. You wouldn't be the first to do it. They might say it's ok, or they might say you must withdraw other apps. I'd call them just to make sure, as I wouldn't want to follow someone's possibly wrong advice here and get screwed.

I have the April 1st deadline also and when I called the woman told me I had to withdraw from other schools at that time. It also says it on the enrollment confirmation page. But if you call and they tell you something different, definitely let me know. It would make me reconsider withdrawing.

I e-mailed one of the deans asking if I could postpone the deadline bc I can't afford to pay 2 deposits in case I change my mind if I get into the schools I haven't heard from. This was her response:

I wanted to clarify that if you accept your award and submit your enrollment form and $200 deposit, although you are required to withdraw from other law schools that have admitted you, you may keep pending applications open at other law schools and may also stay on other schools' wait lists. If you are subsequently offered admission by another law school (as a result of a pending application or a waitlisted application) and decide to withdraw from UF, then you would forfeit your non-refundable deposit here. Students who do not accept their scholarship/grants by April 1, will still have their offers of admission open until the regular deadline of May 15.

^ Thanks for posting. I wonder if this is the standard for most schools.

fcowrx

Postby fcowrx » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:41 am

Lomax wrote:
fcowrx wrote:I received an invite to the dinner at the president's house and I'm not a URM, though I am Hispanic. Anyone on here going?
Actually, being Hispanic makes you a URM.

.... URMs get accepted at much higher ranked schools with LSAT scores in the 150s.

The consensus on TLS seems to be that only Puerto Ricans and Mexicans get URM status as far as Hispanics are concerned. While I'm not arguing that my being Hispanic acts like a good soft factor (diversity), I do not believe I get the giant boost URMs get with admissions. I was rejected at UGA and waitlisted at W&M along with everyone else over 160 lol (that applied late, mid-Feb). My cycle isn't over though so only time will tell just how much of a boost my being born in South America is giving me.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:48 am

Cuban here. Non urm hispanic can either help you (a little) or generally not at all. I had good stats, ones that comfortably got me into the t20 with no outside help, but I attribute my ability to penetrate the t10 and t6 largely to the fact that I wasn't simply cuban (and therefore inherently carried diversity) but rather could substantively and persuasively demonstrate through my writing that my diversity would significantly enhance the character of the class

For cubans, and I suppose all nonurm hispanics, your #s have to be solid but to get any boost you really need to leverage your softs.

Also some schools still won't care: ucla, texas come immediately to mind,

coleab5

Postby coleab5 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:36 pm

Finally DLIT as of today. Anyone else?

anders08

Postby anders08 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:41 pm

coleab5, if you dont mind, what were your numbers? Everyone that was 3/16 or 3/17 DLIT was waitlisted. Is there another large group of potential acceptances going out today?

flowb

Postby flowb » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:04 pm

DLIT today also. Not sure what to make of it. I'll know soon enough I suppose.

If anyone else switched please post.

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:17 pm

WOOOOT DP since 12/17 finally DLIT, its a shame I stopped caring in Feb. though. wl / ding/ or accept not going to really make a difference just glad I finally got my decision. Good luck to you all.

farewelltoarms

Postby farewelltoarms » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:44 pm

Wow more DLIT?? Lol, the drama never ends with UF. Anyway, I too got invited to the president's house. And yea, I'm a URM as well. However, I just assumed all accepted students got invited.....

nbatty

Postby nbatty » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:33 pm

DLIT today.
RCDP 2/16
163, 3.6

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:17 pm

noxhil wrote:
Lomax wrote:Someone previously mentioned that only URMs have been getting invites to the president's house. If krissyyyum is a URM, then there's your explanation for him getting accepted ahead of you despite his numbers being lower than yours.

This is absolutely not true. The president's house reception invitees are just highly recruited students, and many URM's with good relative numbers are being highly recruited this year.

Every invitee we know of (confirmed on TLS) is a URM (or at least close enough to one - i.e. Hispanic if not Mexican). There have been several. This leads us to believe that my previous statement is absolutely true. If you have contradictory evidence that would lead us to believe otherwise, please share it.
Last edited by Lomax on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:27 pm

fcowrx wrote:While I'm not arguing that my being Hispanic acts like a good soft factor (diversity), I do not believe I get the giant boost URMs get with admissions. I was rejected at UGA and waitlisted at W&M along with everyone else over 160 lol (that applied late, mid-Feb). My cycle isn't over though so only time will tell just how much of a boost my being born in South America is giving me.

Hmm, then perhaps schools do distinguish between Hispanic sub-groups. I find this to be quite ridiculous, given that two people both of mixed Maya and European ancestry from different sides of the Guatemala/Mexico border could be treated differently, as could be two people of mixed Taino and European ancestry from different islands.

gatordude94

Postby gatordude94 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:21 pm

gatordude94 wrote:Did anyone go to the ASD on [strike]Friday[/strike] March 19th? How was it?

Anyone? Bueller?

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:41 am

gatordude94 wrote:
gatordude94 wrote:Did anyone go to the ASD on [strike]Friday[/strike] March 19th? How was it?

Anyone? Bueller?

Would it kill you to read the thread? Two pages before your original post: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=47913&start=3050

gatordude94

Postby gatordude94 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:17 am

Moose Thompson wrote:
gatordude94 wrote:

Anyone? Bueller?

Would it kill you to read the thread? Two pages before your original post: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=47913&start=3050

Taking a lap...

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:58 am

gatordude94 wrote:
Moose Thompson wrote:
gatordude94 wrote:

Anyone? Bueller?

Taking a lap...

Haha. Nice. :D

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:46 pm

Withdrew today, (hopefully) freeing up $15k for someone else to get a little help. Good luck to everyone still waiting and to those that have chosen to attend!

cigator

Postby cigator » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:39 pm

Lomax wrote:
cigator wrote:
krissyyyum wrote:
GTLAWSCHOOL wrote:No, please explain

I received an email today asking if I'd made a decision and to let them know if there was anything they could do to facilitate my decision making process.

Also, just got an email invitation to dinner at UF's president's house in April.

Congrats. That's alot better than the waitlist email I got. Can't help but be a bit discouraged since my #'s were higher than yours but I am waitlisted. I just love this process.

Someone previously mentioned that only URMs have been getting invites to the president's house. If krissyyyum is a URM, then there's your explanation for him getting accepted ahead of you despite his numbers being lower than yours.

I am overjoyed that my hard work and numbers get overshadowed by URM. Maybe one day I will comprehend how 4 years in college does not even the playing field for those pursuing law school. Probably why I love competitive sports, you can't hide from your numbers. If my numbers didn't cut it, than I fully accept that and move on, but when your numbers indicate your achievement and they are minimalized due to this urm or non-urm factor, I take issue. This can of worms continues to be malodorous.

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:50 pm

cigator wrote:I am overjoyed that my hard work and numbers get overshadowed by URM. Maybe one day I will comprehend how 4 years in college does not even the playing field for those pursuing law school. Probably why I love competitive sports, you can't hide from your numbers. If my numbers didn't cut it, than I fully accept that and move on, but when your numbers indicate your achievement and they are minimalized due to this urm or non-urm factor, I take issue. This can of worms continues to be malodorous.

Probably not the best place to fuel such a debate.

I'm really surprised that, in 2010, law school applicants are still surprised by this. I thought we all knew how the process worked and that, in all honesty, for a white male to be confident that he will be admitted to school X his numbers should not only meet, but exceed both medians.

waverider

Postby waverider » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:34 pm

ChattTNdt wrote:
cigator wrote:I am overjoyed that my hard work and numbers get overshadowed by URM. Maybe one day I will comprehend how 4 years in college does not even the playing field for those pursuing law school. Probably why I love competitive sports, you can't hide from your numbers. If my numbers didn't cut it, than I fully accept that and move on, but when your numbers indicate your achievement and they are minimalized due to this urm or non-urm factor, I take issue. This can of worms continues to be malodorous.

Probably not the best place to fuel such a debate.

I'm really surprised that, in 2010, law school applicants are still surprised by this. I thought we all knew how the process worked and that, in all honesty, for a white male to be confident that he will be admitted to school X his numbers should not only meet, but exceed both medians.

I don't think cigator was surprised just irratated.

I can live with schools having one set of standards for me and another for minorities. I really can. After all I really don't think I would want to go to a school where everyone was exactly like me. The only thing that gets me is when these schools put on the App that they are an equal opportunity institution... thats bull.

Good luck to everyone else on the waitlist. I have promised myself that would not keep torturing myself by checking this thread even though I have already been waitlisted.

And by the way- cigator, from one gator alumn to another, once a gator always a gator.

ShiftyPig

Postby ShiftyPig » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:43 pm

FYI, for all you potential Gators, the schedule for Fall 2010 has been posted: --LinkRemoved--

Obviously you don't have a section assignment, but you can at least start forming a preference. This year's stud Section 2 professor list was broken up.

Edit to add: TCR is Section 3 with Crim Law Section A.... class from 10am to 3pm + Lidsky and King.

Double edit having read the thread: I'm a white male and received a P-house invite last year, but it was definitely mostly URM - confirmed by a member of the recruitment team. Also, some of you may be disappointed to hear that the city has decided in the past few days to enforce its anti-discrimination ordinance at local bars and, therefore, "ladies nights" in Gainesville are no more.

fcowrx

Postby fcowrx » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:24 pm

ShiftyPig wrote:FYI, for all you potential Gators, the schedule for Fall 2010 has been posted: --LinkRemoved--

Obviously you don't have a section assignment, but you can at least start forming a preference. This year's stud Section 2 professor list was broken up.

Edit to add: TCR is Section 3 with Crim Law Section A.... class from 10am to 3pm + Lidsky and King.

Double edit having read the thread: I'm a white male and received a P-house invite last year, but it was definitely mostly URM - confirmed by a member of the recruitment team. Also, some of you may be disappointed to hear that the city has decided in the past few days to enforce its anti-discrimination ordinance at local bars and, therefore, "ladies nights" in Gainesville are no more.

Just paid my seat deposit at UF. So Section 3 is where you want to be as a 1L this upcoming Fall? Which LRW professors are good?

ShiftyPig

Postby ShiftyPig » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:37 pm

fcowrx wrote:Just paid my seat deposit at UF. So Section 3 is where you want to be as a 1L this upcoming Fall? Which LRW professors are good?

Pflaum writes the textbook generally used at the school; I was scheduled to have her but she was replaced by an adjunct because she spent the semester updating the book. Sooooooooo your guess is as good as mine for LRW.

I had Harrison-Lidsky-Johnston-King. Harrison got more hilarious as the semester progressed. This FB group says it all: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=pho ... 6875612602 Johnston started very Socratic but lightened up at the end. King was Professional Responsibility: it is what it is. Lidsky is one of the top professors in the school.

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:48 pm

ShiftyPig wrote:FYI, for all you potential Gators, the schedule for Fall 2010 has been posted: --LinkRemoved--

Thanks, that's helpful.

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:01 pm

fcowrx wrote: Which LRW professors are good?

It's very hard for us to make meaningful distinctions between LRW professors, since we naturally only have one LRW professor. Also, I find that for most professors, there's a decent amount of disagreement about how good a professor is. (After all, we're all law students!)

nbatty

Postby nbatty » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:58 pm

Any 3/25ers hear anything?

What are y'all expecting?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”