University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
redsox77

Re: University of Florida

Postby redsox77 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:06 pm

I am curious...if a student was waitlisted from the priority pool, will their February LSAT score be considered once they are on the waitlist or are the only LSAT scores considered, the ones on their original application. Thanks!

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:22 pm

redsox77 wrote:I am curious...if a student was waitlisted from the priority pool, will their February LSAT score be considered once they are on the waitlist or are the only LSAT scores considered, the ones on their original application. Thanks!

I don't think we know for sure, but given that rcharles is clearly an auto-admit based on his February LSAT, and that he was officially waitlisted after someone with lower numbers from the secondary pool was accepted, and that he remains on the waitlist, I think it likely that primary pool applicants' February LSAT scores are never considered.

krissyyyum

Postby krissyyyum » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:26 pm

GTLAWSCHOOL wrote:No, please explain

I received an email today asking if I'd made a decision and to let them know if there was anything they could do to facilitate my decision making process.

Also, just got an email invitation to dinner at UF's president's house in April.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:37 pm

Lomax wrote:
redsox77 wrote:I am curious...if a student was waitlisted from the priority pool, will their February LSAT score be considered once they are on the waitlist or are the only LSAT scores considered, the ones on their original application. Thanks!

I don't think we know for sure, but given that rcharles is clearly an auto-admit based on his February LSAT, and that he was officially waitlisted after someone with lower numbers from the secondary pool was accepted, and that he remains on the waitlist, I think it likely that primary pool applicants' February LSAT scores are never considered.

I just called the school, and this is exactly what they said. They said the only way they would consider my February LSAT would be if I applied next year.

Had I known that, I should have just applied via the secondary pool. But then again, I didn't know I was going to hit my target in February.

Anyway, their policy seems pretty dense. I'm on the waitlist, but now I am competing for admission with people applying with February LSATs through the secondary pool, but I can't use mine.

fcowrx

Postby fcowrx » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:23 pm

Is anyone paying the seat deposit at UF in addition to another school or two? I need to submit my deposit by April 1 and won't know if I've received a scholarship at UM until after April 1. I'm from Miami so UM with a scholarship makes for a tough decision.

How serious do they take multiple seat deposits??

noxhil

Postby noxhil » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:29 pm

-
Last edited by noxhil on Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:44 pm

fcowrx wrote:Is anyone paying the seat deposit at UF in addition to another school or two? I need to submit my deposit by April 1 and won't know if I've received a scholarship at UM until after April 1. I'm from Miami so UM with a scholarship makes for a tough decision.

Call and ask. You wouldn't be the first to do it. They might say it's ok, or they might say you must withdraw other apps. I'd call them just to make sure, as I wouldn't want to follow someone's possibly wrong advice here and get screwed.

rcharles

Postby rcharles » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:42 pm

JCougar wrote:
Lomax wrote:

I just called the school, and this is exactly what they said. They said the only way they would consider my February LSAT would be if I applied next year.

Had I known that, I should have just applied via the secondary pool. But then again, I didn't know I was going to hit my target in February.

Anyway, their policy seems pretty dense. I'm on the waitlist, but now I am competing for admission with people applying with February LSATs through the secondary pool, but I can't use mine.

Thanks for doing the legwork JCougar. In light of this I will be promptly withdrawing, although regretfully this wont be freeing up any slots for any of you riding the waitlist or secondary pool. Good luck to all of you who will be attending UF and those of you waiting for an invite!

cigator

Postby cigator » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:26 pm

krissyyyum wrote:

I received an email today asking if I'd made a decision and to let them know if there was anything they could do to facilitate my decision making process.

Also, just got an email invitation to dinner at UF's president's house in April.

Congrats. That's alot better than the waitlist email I got. Can't help but be a bit discouraged since my #'s were higher than yours but I am waitlisted. I just love this process.

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:33 pm

cigator wrote:
krissyyyum wrote:

Congrats. That's alot better than the waitlist email I got. Can't help but be a bit discouraged since my #'s were higher than yours but I am waitlisted. I just love this process.

Someone previously mentioned that only URMs have been getting invites to the president's house. If krissyyyum is a URM, then there's your explanation for him getting accepted ahead of you despite his numbers being lower than yours.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:35 pm

Lomax wrote:
cigator wrote:
krissyyyum wrote:

Someone previously mentioned that only URMs have been getting invites to the president's house. If krissyyyum is a URM, then there's your explanation for him getting accepted ahead of you despite his numbers being lower than yours.

krissyyyum

Postby krissyyyum » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:20 pm

I am an URM. Is UF hurting that bad for diversity? I wouldn't have thought so.

Perfect picture JCougar!

mlewis87

Postby mlewis87 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:27 pm

krissyyyum wrote:I am an URM. Is UF hurting that bad for diversity? I wouldn't have thought so.

Perfect picture JCougar!

wow.......

redvelvetccake

Postby redvelvetccake » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:36 pm

krissyyyum wrote:

I didn't get the first email but I did get the one about dinner at the president's house and one about admitted students day in April.

rad law wrote:
fcowrx wrote:Is anyone paying the seat deposit at UF in addition to another school or two? I need to submit my deposit by April 1 and won't know if I've received a scholarship at UM until after April 1. I'm from Miami so UM with a scholarship makes for a tough decision.

Call and ask. You wouldn't be the first to do it. They might say it's ok, or they might say you must withdraw other apps. I'd call them just to make sure, as I wouldn't want to follow someone's possibly wrong advice here and get screwed.

I have the April 1st deadline also and when I called the woman told me I had to withdraw from other schools at that time. It also says it on the enrollment confirmation page. But if you call and they tell you something different, definitely let me know. It would make me reconsider withdrawing.

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:46 pm

krissyyyum wrote:I am an URM. Is UF hurting that bad for diversity? I wouldn't have thought so.

Perfect picture JCougar!

If you haven't yet noticed, being a URM gives you a boost when applying to just about any law school. UF isn't "hurting that bad for diversity", I don't think, but it still benefits in multiple ways from including additional URMs in its student body. That said, UF shows a lot less favoritism towards URMs than does, say, Emory.

And I don't see how this is opening up a can of worms. I think that just about everyone here is well-informed of this reality and fairly accepting of it by now.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:47 pm

Lomax wrote: I think that just about everyone here is well-informed of this reality and fairly accepting of it by now.

Not the particular poster you happened to respond to...

fcowrx

Postby fcowrx » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:48 pm

Lomax wrote:Someone previously mentioned that only URMs have been getting invites to the president's house. If krissyyyum is a URM, then there's your explanation for him getting accepted ahead of you despite his numbers being lower than yours.

I received an invite to the dinner at the president's house and I'm not a URM, though I am Hispanic. Anyone on here going?

cao0008

Postby cao0008 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:50 pm

redvelvetccake wrote:
krissyyyum wrote:

I didn't get the first email but I did get the one about dinner at the president's house and one about admitted students day in April.

rad law wrote:

I have the April 1st deadline also and when I called the woman told me I had to withdraw from other schools at that time. It also says it on the enrollment confirmation page. But if you call and they tell you something different, definitely let me know. It would make me reconsider withdrawing.

I e-mailed one of the deans asking if I could postpone the deadline bc I can't afford to pay 2 deposits in case I change my mind if I get into the schools I haven't heard from. This was her response:

I wanted to clarify that if you accept your award and submit your enrollment form and $200 deposit, although you are required to withdraw from other law schools that have admitted you, you may keep pending applications open at other law schools and may also stay on other schools' wait lists. If you are subsequently offered admission by another law school (as a result of a pending application or a waitlisted application) and decide to withdraw from UF, then you would forfeit your non-refundable deposit here. Students who do not accept their scholarship/grants by April 1, will still have their offers of admission open until the regular deadline of May 15.

cao0008

Postby cao0008 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:54 pm

Lomax wrote:

Perfect picture JCougar!

If you haven't yet noticed, being a URM gives you a boost when applying to just about any law school. UF isn't "hurting that bad for diversity", I don't think, but it still benefits in multiple ways from including additional URMs in its student body. That said, UF shows a lot less favoritism towards URMs than does, say, Emory.

And I don't see how this is opening up a can of worms. I think that just about everyone here is well-informed of this reality and fairly accepting of it by now.

One of my friends who goes to UF law right now told me that she talked to one of the deans (not 100% sure it was a dean though). The person said that they are afraid that they won't have enough URMs enrolling because the URMs they had accepted had really good numbers and they thought they would be admitted to better schools and choose them over UF. I don't know how true this is.

fcowrx

Postby fcowrx » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:55 pm

cao0008 wrote:I e-mailed one of the deans asking if I could postpone the deadline bc I can't afford to pay 2 deposits in case I change my mind if I get into the schools I haven't heard from. This was her response:

I wanted to clarify that if you accept your award and submit your enrollment form and $200 deposit, although you are required to withdraw from other law schools that have admitted you, you may keep pending applications open at other law schools and may also stay on other schools' wait lists. If you are subsequently offered admission by another law school (as a result of a pending application or a waitlisted application) and decide to withdraw from UF, then you would forfeit your non-refundable deposit here. Students who do not accept their scholarship/grants by April 1, will still have their offers of admission open until the regular deadline of May 15.

Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for sharing this info!

krissyyyum

Postby krissyyyum » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:33 pm

JCougar wrote:
Lomax wrote: I think that just about everyone here is well-informed of this reality and fairly accepting of it by now.

I'll just consider your comment a silly attempt at sarcasm JCougar, because of course I understand that minority students are historically disadvantaged in higher education. In an attempt to avoid discussing this topic ad nausium, I'm not going to comment any further.

blah.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:35 pm

krissyyyum wrote:
JCougar wrote:

I'll just consider your comment a silly attempt at sarcasm JCougar, because of course I understand that minority students are historically disadvantaged in higher education. In an attempt to avoid discussing this topic ad nausium, I'm not going to comment any further.

blah.

By "particular poster," I wasn't referring to you. I think there's a misunderstanding here.

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:40 am

fcowrx wrote:
Lomax wrote:Someone previously mentioned that only URMs have been getting invites to the president's house. If krissyyyum is a URM, then there's your explanation for him getting accepted ahead of you despite his numbers being lower than yours.

I received an invite to the dinner at the president's house and I'm not a URM, though I am Hispanic. Anyone on here going?

Actually, being Hispanic makes you a URM.

cao0008 wrote:One of my friends who goes to UF law right now told me that she talked to one of the deans (not 100% sure it was a dean though). The person said that they are afraid that they won't have enough URMs enrolling because the URMs they had accepted had really good numbers and they thought they would be admitted to better schools and choose them over UF. I don't know how true this is.

A reasonable fear. The URMs UF accepted this year almost all had LSAT scores of 160 or above. The advantage URMs had over non-URM applicants appears to have been quite small. URMs get accepted at much higher ranked schools with LSAT scores in the 150s.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:47 am

Plus, they may be catering specifically to URMs due to the racial tension and accusations thrown around about how racist UF was. Google it! As a URM, I told someone I was WL at UF and they asked me if I wanted to be lynched before or after my first year. Harsh, but as a URM it worries me [strike]a little[/strike]...a lot.

There's better articles then below, but these are the only ones not being restricted by my job (TLSing @ work....so bad)

--LinkRemoved--

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 4872,82022

--LinkRemoved--

noxhil

Postby noxhil » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:20 am

-
Last edited by noxhil on Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”