University of Florida Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ShiftyPig

Bronze

Re: University of Florida

Post by ShiftyPig » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:12 am

PKSebben wrote:You are smoking meth. For undergrad, UF is far and away, by any possible metric, the best school in Florida.

Also, LOL@resort atmosphere as a positive quality in a discussion regarding academic merit.
Surely this is just post-Super Bowl drinking nonsense.

I would take my education against what I would have gotten at UF in a heartbeat.

hannah

New

Post by hannah » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:25 am

lilognl wrote:
hannah wrote: I just went to UF cause it was free and the best school in Florida. It made sense at the time.

Best school in Florida?! :? I understand that the school tries to instill a sense of pride in its students by feeding them the 'gator nation' brand slogan down their throats on a constant basis but to say that they're the best Florida has to offer is an exaggeration! You have two other tier 1 schools in the state: UM (with superior broadcast journalism and music programs) and FSU (with excellent programs that UF doesn't offer: computer criminology and merchandising). Furthermore, there are high-caliber and competitive film programs in the state coming from UCF and FSU which UF can't even match. There is also Ringling College of Art with its many animation majors being recruited by Pixar (my ex-boyfriend went there). Not to mention public honors colleges such as FAU's Harriet Wilkes and USF's New College of Florida. Last, but not least, South Florida has FIU's five star accounting and international business programs; Barry's one-of-a-kind ecological studies and diving programs; and NSU's first rate marine biology and pre-med track. I made sure to research my options carefully after making the mistake of going to football-obsessed UF my first two years. I ended up transferring to UM (no budget cuts, stellar faculty, small classes, resort-like campus) on a full-tuition transfer scholarship and found two killer internships in Miami which definitely helped me land my first choice LS (NYU). I'm not saying that UF is substandard. It's a good school but certainly not the best. :wink:
While all of those programs you mentioned are certainly not without merit, for someone who isn't specializing in something like computer criminology, accounting, diving, or marine biology -- UF is a better deal.

UM is equivalent to UF in undergrad rankings, but UM is private and costs a ton of money that I wasn't ready to part with. They offered me half tuition and that wasn't a good enough offer to pull me away from the FREE and better ranked (by a little bit) UF. Even if I had my half of the $34,000+ to give them, I am from South Florida and wanted to live somewhere different.

Also, I would agree that New College is also an excellent school, but coming from a high school of 4,000 kids, I wanted to go somewhere larger. New College offers a student population of under a thousand, which wasn't for me. Sarasota is nice, though. Also, they don't have regular grades. I definitely considered New College as an option (my father wanted me to go there BADLY) -- but no, not for me. True enough about it being a good school, though.

If you're talking about the run-of-the-mill undecided high school graduate who is heading to a Florida school for undergrad, UF is much, much better than anything else in the state. UF isn't the best school out there, but in terms of Florida: UF is #49 for US News' National Universities ranking, UM is #52, FSU is #102, and FIU & FAU are unranked (I suppose they don't rank the honors college separately, but, yes, I've heard good things about FAU) .. FIU is not a great school for undergrad if you're not aiming at one of their 'five star' programs. Oh, and NCF is #94 under US News Liberal Arts rankings.

Anyway, #49 is as good as it gets in FL.

So, yeah, perhaps I implied that it was a frivolous and rash decision to go to UF. Really, when faced with the reality that I was staying in-state, there was no better option (especially considering the price). End story.

EDIT: (apparently not 'end of story') -- also, if your profile isn't toally BS-ed, I'd guess that your numbers helped you get into NYU law more than anything else. Though your comments about our budget cuts are true enough. I've been pleasantly surprised with my class sizes once I got out of the intro level auditorium classes, though. Two of my classes last semester had fewer than 15 people in them. :D

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:59 am

Axis wrote:
PKSebben wrote:You are smoking meth. For undergrad, UF is far and away, by any possible metric, the best school in Florida.

Also, LOL@resort atmosphere as a positive quality in a discussion regarding academic merit.
+1
+2, you're crazy, look at all the numbers as PK says.

BTW, I'm betting you're another one of these kids who didn't step foot in the stadium.....EVER
Last edited by gogators on Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShiftyPig

Bronze

Post by ShiftyPig » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:41 am

BTW, I'm betting your another one of these kids who didn't step foot in the stadium.....EVER
Brilliant point, well made.

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:53 am

ShiftyPig wrote:
BTW, I'm betting your another one of these kids who didn't step foot in the stadium.....EVER
Bite me piggy

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hannah

New

Post by hannah » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:00 pm

gogators wrote: BTW, I'm betting you're another one of these kids who didn't step foot in the stadium.....EVER

Psh. Not everyone has to succumb to the Gator football hysteria. Some of us don't drink much and have never liked football. I don't begrudge you your stadium fun just because it's not my thing.. so please to not bash?

tempurabanana

New

Post by tempurabanana » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:59 pm

gogators wrote:
ShiftyPig wrote:
Bite me piggy
I say this as someone who never missed a single Florida home game:

STFU. You're making us look bad.

ShadowRabbit

New

Post by ShadowRabbit » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:57 pm

<---- Another one of the applied in the days before the deadline, haven't heard anything form the school. No email for app fee. No request for LSDAS reports. Nothing.

Was going to call today, but seeing as so many people are in the same boat, I'll wait another week. But this is pretty ridiculous. Whoever is running admissions over there really needs to be fired, if there even is someone.

carine44

New

Post by carine44 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:28 pm

ShadowRabbit wrote:<---- Another one of the applied in the days before the deadline, haven't heard anything form the school. No email for app fee. No request for LSDAS reports. Nothing.

Was going to call today, but seeing as so many people are in the same boat, I'll wait another week. But this is pretty ridiculous. Whoever is running admissions over there really needs to be fired, if there even is someone.
Wait - they haven't even requested your report? I think I would call if that's the case. I applied on the deadline and my report was requested right away.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:18 pm

ShiftyPig wrote:

I would take my education against what I would have gotten at UF in a heartbeat.
Ok, bud -- enjoy Stetson.

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:24 pm

you guys seriously need to STOP and leave this thread.

this thread isn't debating about which florida school for undergrad is the "best" or to talk about your experiences at a gainesville restaurant. it is for talking about UF law school in relation to admissions, the application process, communication with the offices, etc. for people who applied to UF.

please.

jpin22

New

Post by jpin22 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:38 pm

I applied in late Jan., what do you guys think my chances are? I have a 3.45 with 152/165... wrote an addendum for first LSAT score.

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:40 pm

jpin22 wrote:I applied in late Jan., what do you guys think my chances are? I have a 3.45 with 152/165... wrote an addendum for first LSAT score.
wow that is a huge jump, congrats bro.

are you a FL resident? that matters.

but in all honesty, outta state or FL resident, they take higher lsat and a 165/3.4 = acceptance

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jpin22

New

Post by jpin22 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:42 pm

midrangejumper wrote:
jpin22 wrote:I applied in late Jan., what do you guys think my chances are? I have a 3.45 with 152/165... wrote an addendum for first LSAT score.

but in all honesty, outta state or FL resident, they take higher lsat and a 165/3.4 = acceptance
I am a FL resident

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:44 pm

jpin22 wrote:
midrangejumper wrote:

I am a FL resident

you're definitely in then (still in the belief they take the higher lsat and dont care about that big of a gap, which i believe is true)

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:46 pm

midrangejumper wrote:you guys seriously need to STOP and leave this thread.

this thread isn't debating about which florida school for undergrad is the "best" or to talk about your experiences at a gainesville restaurant. it is for talking about UF law school in relation to admissions, the application process, communication with the offices, etc. for people who applied to UF.

please.
I second this motion.
Has anyone contacted a UF ambassador? I did and it was less than impressive. I think I received a "canned" response because things I didnt ask about were the main cotent and the last sentence briefly responded to my question. has anybody found correspondence with their ambassadors lame?
Also would some one be willing to forward me the prospective student updates 1-5...PM me if this is possible

jpin22

New

Post by jpin22 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:47 pm

midrangejumper wrote:
jpin22 wrote:
midrangejumper wrote:

I am a FL resident

you're definitely in then (still in the belief they take the higher lsat and dont care about that big of a gap, which i believe is true)
Yeah i contacted them and they said they took the higher although they still see the lower one. I think when theres a difference of 13 points there is usually a significant reason which i believe i had one.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:50 pm

flhealth wrote:

please.
I second this motion.
Has anyone contacted a UF ambassador? I did and it was less than impressive. I think I received a "canned" response because things I didnt ask about were the main cotent and the last sentence briefly responded to my question. has anybody found correspondence with their ambassadors lame?
Also would some one be willing to forward me the prospective student updates 1-5...PM me if this is possible
I attended UFLAW and can address questions (in areas I'm knowledgeable about) if you find the ambassador's responses lacking.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:51 pm

Yeah i contacted them and they said they took the higher although they still see the lower one. I think when theres a difference of 13 points there is usually a significant reason which i believe i had one.
I see no reason why UF would average or consider the lower score. It just doesn't make sense.

ShadowRabbit

New

Post by ShadowRabbit » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:53 pm

carine44 wrote:
ShadowRabbit wrote:<---- Another one of the applied in the days before the deadline, haven't heard anything form the school. No email for app fee. No request for LSDAS reports. Nothing.

Wait - they haven't even requested your report? I think I would call if that's the case. I applied on the deadline and my report was requested right away.

Oh.... well this is distressing. Will call first thing tomorrow. :shock:

carine44

New

Post by carine44 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:06 pm

ShadowRabbit wrote:
carine44 wrote:

Oh.... well this is distressing. Will call first thing tomorrow. :shock:
Good luck! I hope it's easily straightened out and you're soon on your way to an acceptance!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:15 pm

PKSebben wrote:
flhealth wrote:

please.
I second this motion.
I attended UFLAW and can address questions (in areas I'm knowledgeable about) if you find the ambassador's responses lacking.
I am an older applicant (36), I was wondering if UF was a place an older applicant would feel comfortable...I understand the majority of students are 24-27, but are there many student around my age and do they seem to be able to hold their own with younger folks?

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:17 pm

flhealth wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
flhealth wrote:

please.
I second this motion.
I am an older applicant (36), I was wondering if UF was a place an older applicant would feel comfortable...I understand the majority of students are 24-27, but are there many student around my age and do they seem to be able to hold their own with younger folks?
I am a non-trad as well. I felt that UF was remarkably welcoming of older students. There is a student organization called OWLS (older, wiser law students) that is currently run by some of my favorite people on the planet. They are an excellent support network and a lot of fun. Our meetings (dinner, drinks, board games, etc) were very well attended, both by non-trads and by the younger kids.

ShiftyPig

Bronze

Post by ShiftyPig » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:36 pm

PKSebben wrote:
ShiftyPig wrote:

Ok, bud -- enjoy Stetson.
I genuinely LOL'd at this.
Last edited by ShiftyPig on Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:39 pm

thanks...hopefully my softs will help me overcome a less than stellar GPA

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”