University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cigator

Re: University of Florida

Postby cigator » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:30 pm

joeysun wrote:
cigator wrote:
joeysun wrote:
cigator wrote:My family and i are diehard Gators. I have been to every UF home football game since I was 3 years old. I graduated from UF. Unfortunately I was waitlisted. On the positive side I was accepted at FSU and may get a little money. I will give the waitlist a try for a month or so. I will not call begging for information because that seems both fruitless and demoralizing. I will likely take my 162 /3.6 to FSU and help them raise there #'s a wee bit and enjoy law school in a new environment. I hope everyone has a postive experience in the law school journey. I rest my case.

Pretty much in the same boat as you, Cigator. Submitting my seat deposit there this week. When I went to FSU's Scholar's Day, I heard about a student organization called "LitiGators," a group for UF undergrads. I think I'll join :-)

Don't we have until May for seat deposit? I was going to see where the UF waitlist went over the next month.

They told me the date was April 1st. I was going to pay it and watch the UF waitlist, too.

Have they offered you money already? maybe with money it's April 1. My admit package said May 1, but I don't have any money offered at this point.

unforgyvn

Postby unforgyvn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:48 pm

Last edited by unforgyvn on Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

cigator

Postby cigator » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:30 pm

Does this sound like a warm and fuzzy waitlist email. Not to me.

Dear Applicant:

Thank you for applying to the Levin College of Law. The Admissions office has received your wait list confirmation form. If at any time you wish to be removed from the wait list, please let us know as soon as possible in writing. We want you to make the best decision for you personally, even if that means attending another law school. Once you make your final decision, please let us know. If you have any questions, please call our office at 352.273.0890 or toll free at 877.429.1297.

Thank you,
Admissions Staff
Levin College of Law
Fax: 352.392.4087

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:43 pm

cigator wrote:Does this sound like a warm and fuzzy waitlist email. Not to me.

Dear Applicant:

Thank you for applying to the Levin College of Law. The Admissions office has received your wait list confirmation form. If at any time you wish to be removed from the wait list, please let us know as soon as possible in writing. We want you to make the best decision for you personally, even if that means attending another law school. Once you make your final decision, please let us know. If you have any questions, please call our office at 352.273.0890 or toll free at 877.429.1297.

Thank you,
Admissions Staff
Levin College of Law
Fax: 352.392.4087

hahaha wow?

unforgyvn

Postby unforgyvn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:06 pm

Last edited by unforgyvn on Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:50 pm

rcharles wrote:I don't know what constitutes a top applicant (I am well above both their LSAT and GPA 75th percentile), but I can only wonder how many other applicants have been turned off by some of UF's admissions departments operating procedures.

Yes, rcharles, I know you got screwed. I've said it before and I'll say it again - the not-considering-February-LSAT-scores policy is a terrible one. But because of it, you are not considered by UF to be - statistically speaking - a top applicant.

Whitters

Postby Whitters » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:10 pm

WL'd today via snail mail. Will most likely withdraw soon. Good luck everyone!

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:15 pm

Lomax wrote:
rcharles wrote:I don't know what constitutes a top applicant (I am well above both their LSAT and GPA 75th percentile), but I can only wonder how many other applicants have been turned off by some of UF's admissions departments operating procedures.

Yes, rcharles, I know you got screwed. I've said it before and I'll say it again - the not-considering-February-LSAT-scores policy is a terrible one. But because of it, you are not considered by UF to be - statistically speaking - a top applicant.

The problem is, according to the admissions website, they do take February LSAT for Secondary pool applicants. And at least one person posted in this thread that they were accepted through the secondary pool, receiving decisions sooner than many applicants who got their Priority application in on time.... something doesn't seem fair about that. The way the UF admissions department functions and their loose adherence to their own policies really disappointed me.

alanabanana

Postby alanabanana » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:23 pm

cigator wrote:My family and i are diehard Gators. I have been to every UF home football game since I was 3 years old. I graduated from UF. Unfortunately I was waitlisted. On the positive side I was accepted at FSU and may get a little money. I will give the waitlist a try for a month or so. I will not call begging for information because that seems both fruitless and demoralizing. I will likely take my 162 /3.6 to FSU and help them raise there #'s a wee bit and enjoy law school in a new environment. I hope everyone has a postive experience in the law school journey. I rest my case.

precisely what I am doing. you should come to admitted students day Friday! I look forward to meeting you!

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:32 pm

ChattTNdt wrote:
Lomax wrote:

The problem is, according to the admissions website, they do take February LSAT for Secondary pool applicants. And at least one person posted in this thread that they were accepted through the secondary pool, receiving decisions sooner than many applicants who got their Priority application in on time.... something doesn't seem fair about that. The way the UF admissions department functions and their loose adherence to their own policies really disappointed me.

I am pretty sure that rcharles was not a secondary pool applicant. Again, the not-considering-February-LSAT-scores policy (for primary pool applicants) is a terrible one. It isn't fair. However, I don't see any "loose adherence to their own policies".

UF Office of Admissions wrote:LSAT deadline: No later than February of 2010 for fall 2010; the February 2010 LSAT is only used for fall 2010 secondary pool admissions decisions. NOTE: Applicants who submit a February 2010 LSAT may be at a disadvantage since a majority of decisions are made by the time February scores are received by UF Law.

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:37 pm

Lomax wrote:
ChattTNdt wrote:
Lomax wrote:

I am pretty sure that rcharles was not a secondary pool applicant. Again, the not-considering-February-LSAT-scores policy (for primary pool applicants) is a terrible one. It isn't fair. However, I don't see any "loose adherence to their own policies".

UF Office of Admissions wrote:LSAT deadline: No later than February of 2010 for fall 2010; the February 2010 LSAT is only used for fall 2010 secondary pool admissions decisions. NOTE: Applicants who submit a February 2010 LSAT may be at a disadvantage since a majority of decisions are made by the time February scores are received by UF Law.

Right... but my problem is that secondary pool applicants are supposed to be considered AFTER primary pool applicants. They let at least one secondary pool applicant in before making decisions on all the priority pool applicants.

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:26 pm

ChattTNdt wrote:Right... but my problem is that secondary pool applicants are supposed to be considered AFTER primary pool applicants. They let at least one secondary pool applicant in before making decisions on all the priority pool applicants.

We don't know that to be the case. All primary pool applicants could well have been considered before that secondary pool applicant was let in. The DLIT date cannot be assumed to be the same as the date on which the decision was made.

rcharles

Postby rcharles » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:39 pm

Lomax wrote:
ChattTNdt wrote:Right... but my problem is that secondary pool applicants are supposed to be considered AFTER primary pool applicants. They let at least one secondary pool applicant in before making decisions on all the priority pool applicants.

We don't know that to be the case. All primary pool applicants could well have been considered before that secondary pool applicant was let in. The DLIT date cannot be assumed to be the same as the date on which the decision was made.

According to this thread we DO know that to be the case. At least one self-proclaimed secondary pool applicant has posted an acceptance in this forum.

That said, I think the overall policy of the Feb. LSAT score is frustrating to say the least...

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:56 pm

ChattTNdt wrote:
Right... but my problem is that secondary pool applicants are supposed to be considered AFTER primary pool applicants. They let at least one secondary pool applicant in before making decisions on all the priority pool applicants.

Note that they say that the secondary pool will be considered after the primary pool applicants have been considered. It does not state that the secondary pool will not be considered until decisions have been rendered on all primary pool applications. It could very well mean that an application from the primary pool has been reviewed and was not immediately admitted or rejected, but is being held to see how it stacks up against some of the stronger secondary pool.
Last edited by badpixie on Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noxhil

Postby noxhil » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:03 pm

-
Last edited by noxhil on Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rcharles

Postby rcharles » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:09 pm

noxhil wrote:
rcharles wrote:
Lomax wrote:

According to this thread we DO know that to be the case. At least one self-proclaimed secondary pool applicant has posted an acceptance in this forum.

That said, I think the overall policy of the Feb. LSAT score is frustrating to say the least...

I personally know a 170-172 3.7 Florida resident who missed the primary deadline (applied secondary pool) and has not received a decision, so I'm not sure we know the full extent of how they differentiate Primary/Secondary pool decisions. I think you're taking the decision a little too personally. You are very likely to come off the WL pretty quickly with your February score (maybe eventually even without) so I wouldn't worry if you really want to go to UF. If you just feel spited you need to let it go.

You may be right, it's a tough pill to swallow.

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:57 pm

rcharles wrote:
Lomax wrote:

It appears as though you didn't read what I wrote before quoting it and responding to it. The secondary pool applicant who was accepted went DIT on 3/5. His application could potentially have been considered that very same day. As I said before, it could well have been the case that all primary pool applicants were considered before 3/5 or whenever the decision was made on the secondary pool guy who got accepted. The fact that they went DIT later is irrelevant.

I wholeheartedly agree that the February LSAT score policy is frustratingly stupid.

badpixie wrote:
ChattTNdt wrote:

Note that they say that the secondary pool will be considered after the primary pool applicants have been considered. It does not state that the secondary pool will not be considered until decisions have been rendered on all primary pool applications. It could very well mean that an application from the primary pool has been reviewed and was not immediately admitted or rejected, but is being held to see how it stacks up against some of the stronger secondary pool.

Good point.

NewtonLied

Postby NewtonLied » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:06 am

What's the scholarship situation like for in state residents? Tuition is already dirt cheap, so do they give any $ out?

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:09 am

NewtonLied wrote:What's the scholarship situation like for in state residents? Tuition is already dirt cheap, so do they give any $ out?

50/300 people get merit money, so ~17% of the students... it seems like it's been going mainly to minorities.

domeafavor

Postby domeafavor » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:17 am

Lomax wrote:
rcharles wrote:
Lomax wrote:

It appears as though you didn't read what I wrote before quoting it and responding to it. The secondary pool applicant who was accepted went DIT on 3/5. His application could potentially have been considered that very same day. As I said before, it could well have been the case that all primary pool applicants were considered before 3/5 or whenever the decision was made on the secondary pool guy who got accepted. The fact that they went DIT later is irrelevant.

I wholeheartedly agree that the February LSAT score policy is frustratingly stupid.

badpixie wrote:
ChattTNdt wrote:

Good point.

As the referenced secondary pool applicant who was accepted, I thought I should chime in that I was told that I wasn't going to be notified until April. I was really surprised that I was accepted before others in the primary pool had heard back, but I chalked it up to the 'considered' designation. Maybe cashing the application check is 'considered' enough for them?

BTW, I went under review on March 2. And I'm a she, not he. :)

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:08 am

domeafavor wrote:As the referenced secondary pool applicant who was accepted, I thought I should chime in that I was told that I wasn't going to be notified until April. I was really surprised that I was accepted before others in the primary pool had heard back, but I chalked it up to the 'considered' designation. Maybe cashing the application check is 'considered' enough for them?

BTW, I went under review on March 2. And I'm a she, not he. :)

See, I'm fairly certain that all primary pool applicants went under review prior (weeks prior) to March 2nd. It would seem likely that being considered would be concurrent with being under review.

My apologies for previously misidentifying your gender. As I'm sure you already know, the Law of the Internet demands that all netizens be presumed to be male.

rcharles

Postby rcharles » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:11 am

Lomax wrote:
rcharles wrote:
Lomax wrote:

badpixie wrote:
ChattTNdt wrote:

Good point.

A valid point. The secondary pool acceptance could have very well earned its disposition before or after all primary pool applicants already received an acceptance, ding, waitlist or even a so-called consideration.
Understand though that the confusion derives from the waitlist. Psychologically as a waitlisted applicant you still feel like you have had no decision. I think that is why there are several frustrated people ITT.
My hat is off to all who have gained admittance to UF, and while I am certainly no authority on the subject, I am still puzzled by the unorthodox practices of this institutions admissions department…

edit: content

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:08 am

Got my Waitlist Confirmation email and it was the most discouraging email EVER! Hopefully, I get in after their 1st deposit date passes.

krissyyyum

Postby krissyyyum » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:40 pm

Anyone else get today's email about where we stand on our decision?

GTLAWSCHOOL

Postby GTLAWSCHOOL » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:42 pm

No, please explain

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”