University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TyCobb

Re: University of Florida

Postby TyCobb » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:19 pm

162...3.6x....DLIT 3/16....waitlist

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:35 pm

anders08 wrote:I had a friend with 170 3.3 at duke undergrad that was WL'd today. Just crazy

Yeah, that's wild. Before last year, anyone with a 3.3 and a 162 or better (and without red flags) would have been an auto-admit.

I'm hoping that UF is now being seen by top applicants as a competitive option compared to higher-ranked schools given its "value" status, due to the recession. People might be deciding that no school outside of the T14 is worth paying big bucks for in this economy, and the mid-ranked schools are all more or less the same, so why not go with the cheapest one, that also happens to be in a nice state? If this is the case, then UF might see a big boost in its stats and ranking.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:28 pm

Maybe the applicant was in the secondary pool? Like they say on their website, they sometimes fill the class from the priority pool, which is why I think there are so many WL.

That being said, I have withdrawn my acceptance from UF this evening! So hopefully, this will help out those secondary applicants who are WL-ed, as UF tries to get a better picture of its class.

I also was offered $30k scholarship (I'm in-state), so I hope that this money can go back into the pool for someone else. Good luck everyone!!!

steven3579

Postby steven3579 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:30 pm

162 3.44 DLIT 3/16 WL

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:50 pm

Officially waitlisted. 2.95, 162 (168 February). Not sure which score they used to consider me. I'll be calling them tomorrow to see if I can be entered into the secondary pool with my new score.

rcharles

Postby rcharles » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:48 am

JCougar wrote:Officially waitlisted. 2.95, 162 (168 February). Not sure which score they used to consider me. I'll be calling them tomorrow to see if I can be entered into the secondary pool with my new score.

+1

Waitlist in the mail as I expected when I got home from work this evening.

3.9 159 (164 February)

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:47 am

rcharles wrote:
JCougar wrote:Officially waitlisted. 2.95, 162 (168 February). Not sure which score they used to consider me. I'll be calling them tomorrow to see if I can be entered into the secondary pool with my new score.

+1

3.9 159 (164 February)

This makes me confident that they didn't consider our February scores. Your numbers are auto-admit with your new score.

rcharles

Postby rcharles » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:50 am

JCougar wrote:
rcharles wrote:

+1

3.9 159 (164 February)

This makes me confident that they didn't consider our February scores. Your numbers are auto-admit with your new score.

Yes I thought the same thing. This kind of irritates me though. So far my experience with UF admissions has left much to be desired...

qualster

Postby qualster » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:57 am

rcharles wrote:
JCougar wrote:
rcharles wrote:

+1

3.9 159 (164 February)

Yes I thought the same thing. This kind of irritates me though. So far my experience with UF admissions has left much to be desired...

God forbid a candidate should speak to someone in the office other than a secretary who has clearly been instructed to deflect all questions and encourage candidates to email rather than call. Seriously, they aren't necessarily rude, but it's like dealing with the DMV. No human touch.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:03 am

qualster wrote:God forbid a candidate should speak to someone in the office other than a secretary who has clearly been instructed to deflect all questions and encourage candidates to email rather than call. Seriously, they aren't necessarily rude, but it's like dealing with the DMV. No human touch.

Can't wait for Obamacare then.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

rcharles

Postby rcharles » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:04 am

It really suprises me that there is such a difference in how different law schools handle applicants.

There doesn't seem to be any method to the madness either. Some of the higher ranked schools are very personable and I can get that same experience with a school ranked down in the 70's as well.

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:29 am

rad law wrote:
qualster wrote:God forbid a candidate should speak to someone in the office other than a secretary who has clearly been instructed to deflect all questions and encourage candidates to email rather than call. Seriously, they aren't necessarily rude, but it's like dealing with the DMV. No human touch.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'd rather deal with an impersonal bureaucracy that at least has the stated aim of serving the citizens of this country than slimy corporations that have the singular overriding goal of improving their bottom lines. Seriously, have you ever dealt with the American health care system as it exists pre-reform beyond waving your magic card at your family physician? I certainly have, and while I have been fortunate enough to have had things work out alright for me, I can easily understand why they aren't working out for many thousands of others. The indirect impact of this reform could be damaging in the long run without additional action being taken, but the direct impact should be a big step in the right direction. Furthermore, the new law almost certainly won't lead to the "Obamacare"/government takeover of the health care system that you probably envision - not now, and not in the foreseeable future. Especially not since the Supreme Court just granted corporations the right to directly finance political attack ads. Anyway, best not start on this, especially not here.

rcharles wrote:It really suprises me that there is such a difference in how different law schools handle applicants.

There doesn't seem to be any method to the madness either. Some of the higher ranked schools are very personable and I can get that same experience with a school ranked down in the 70's as well.

Here's your method: UF is an underfunded public school that simply doesn't have the resources it needs to put as much into recruitment (and, for that matter, admissions in general) as some other schools do - especially not in a year when the school is almost certainly spoiled for choice even before beginning pursuit. UF, unlike many other schools, doesn't really need to sell itself to anyone but the top applicants (and trust me, it does try hard to please the top applicants) - it is the best school in Florida, and it is one of the cheapest schools in the country.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:11 am

rad law wrote:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

You are aware that "Obamacare" keeps most people in the private insurance industry, aren't you?

makingasnack

Postby makingasnack » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:18 am

DLIT 3/17 - Waitlisted
161/3.5

nbatty

Postby nbatty » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:48 am

I don't want to stalk this forum, see a new post, and then realize it is just some pontification about health care/obama.

Let's stay on topic. I come to this forum to learn about UF admissions, an issue on which we are all (or are all becoming) experts. If I want to learn about healthcare and politics, I'll go somewhere else.

So...

Anybody in transit today?

UFGator7

Postby UFGator7 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:51 am

Waitlisted yesterday...161/3.64 :cry:

rcharles

Postby rcharles » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:54 am

rcharles wrote:It really suprises me that there is such a difference in how different law schools handle applicants.

Here's your method: UF is an underfunded public school that simply doesn't have the resources it needs to put as much into recruitment (and, for that matter, admissions in general) as some other schools do - especially not in a year when the school is almost certainly spoiled for choice even before beginning pursuit. UF, unlike many other schools, doesn't really need to sell itself to anyone but the top applicants (and trust me, it does try hard to please the top applicants) - it is the best school in Florida, and it is one of the cheapest schools in the country.[/quote]

Well I don't know where all the public schools I've dealt with differentiate with regard to funding, but most of the schools I'm referring to are public. The overall attitude of comparable schools like UG, Bama and LSU are far more personal and engaging than that of Florida's. I would be surprised to see the funding at these institutions significantly more or less than any of their counterparts.

I think it's more than funding. It doesn't take a whole lot ITE to hire people with an average level of competence and some people skills. These problems may stem from upper-level administration enacting polices and establishing priorities that trickle down to the admissions departments we deal with producing a sub-standard product.

I don't know what constitutes a top applicant (I am well above both their LSAT and GPA 75th percentile), but I can only wonder how many other applicants have been turned off by some of UF's admissions departments operating procedures.

rcharles

Postby rcharles » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:56 am

rcharles wrote:

lomax wrote:Here's your method: UF is an underfunded public school that simply doesn't have the resources it needs to put as much into recruitment (and, for that matter, admissions in general) as some other schools do - especially not in a year when the school is almost certainly spoiled for choice even before beginning pursuit. UF, unlike many other schools, doesn't really need to sell itself to anyone but the top applicants (and trust me, it does try hard to please the top applicants) - it is the best school in Florida, and it is one of the cheapest schools in the country.

Well I don't know where all the public schools I've dealt with differentiate with regard to funding, but most of the schools I'm referring to are public. The overall attitude of comparable schools like UG, Bama and LSU are far more personal and engaging than that of Florida's. I would be surprised to see the funding at these institutions significantly more or less than any of their counterparts.

I think it's more than funding. It doesn't take a whole lot ITE to hire people with an average level of competence and some people skills. These problems may stem from upper-level administration enacting polices and establishing priorities that trickle down to the admissions departments we deal with producing a sub-standard product.

I don't know what constitutes a top applicant (I am well above both their LSAT and GPA 75th percentile), but I can only wonder how many other applicants have been turned off by some of UF's admissions departments operating procedures.
[/quote]

Edited for quotes

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:26 pm

nbatty wrote:I don't want to stalk this forum, see a new post, and then realize it is just some pontification about health care/obama.

Let's stay on topic. I come to this forum to learn about UF admissions, an issue on which we are all (or are all becoming) experts. If I want to learn about healthcare and politics, I'll go somewhere else.

So...

Anybody in transit today?

+1

redvelvetccake

Postby redvelvetccake » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:28 pm

qualster wrote:
God forbid a candidate should speak to someone in the office other than a secretary who has clearly been instructed to deflect all questions and encourage candidates to email rather than call. Seriously, they aren't necessarily rude, but it's like dealing with the DMV. No human touch.

My favorite was calling to ask about the April 1st scholarship deadline and having someone talk down to me and make me feel like a moron for having a simple question. Thanks UF.

cigator

Postby cigator » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:42 pm

My family and i are diehard Gators. I have been to every UF home football game since I was 3 years old. I graduated from UF. Unfortunately I was waitlisted. On the positive side I was accepted at FSU and may get a little money. I will give the waitlist a try for a month or so. I will not call begging for information because that seems both fruitless and demoralizing. I will likely take my 162 /3.6 to FSU and help them raise there #'s a wee bit and enjoy law school in a new environment. I hope everyone has a postive experience in the law school journey. I rest my case.

joeysun

Postby joeysun » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:07 pm

cigator wrote:My family and i are diehard Gators. I have been to every UF home football game since I was 3 years old. I graduated from UF. Unfortunately I was waitlisted. On the positive side I was accepted at FSU and may get a little money. I will give the waitlist a try for a month or so. I will not call begging for information because that seems both fruitless and demoralizing. I will likely take my 162 /3.6 to FSU and help them raise there #'s a wee bit and enjoy law school in a new environment. I hope everyone has a postive experience in the law school journey. I rest my case.

Pretty much in the same boat as you, Cigator. Submitting my seat deposit there this week. When I went to FSU's Scholar's Day, I heard about a student organization called "LitiGators," a group for UF undergrads. I think I'll join :-)

cigator

Postby cigator » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:15 pm

joeysun wrote:
cigator wrote:My family and i are diehard Gators. I have been to every UF home football game since I was 3 years old. I graduated from UF. Unfortunately I was waitlisted. On the positive side I was accepted at FSU and may get a little money. I will give the waitlist a try for a month or so. I will not call begging for information because that seems both fruitless and demoralizing. I will likely take my 162 /3.6 to FSU and help them raise there #'s a wee bit and enjoy law school in a new environment. I hope everyone has a postive experience in the law school journey. I rest my case.

Pretty much in the same boat as you, Cigator. Submitting my seat deposit there this week. When I went to FSU's Scholar's Day, I heard about a student organization called "LitiGators," a group for UF undergrads. I think I'll join :-)

Don't we have until May for seat deposit? I was going to see where the UF waitlist went over the next month.

jenilyn

Postby jenilyn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:17 pm

One of the faculty members at FSU sent me this link to Brian Leiter's report on a new study coming out. I found it quite interesting and definitely worth taking a hard look at FSU for their faculty.

http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leiter/2010/03/new-scholarly-impact-study-forthcoming.html

joeysun

Postby joeysun » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:26 pm

cigator wrote:
joeysun wrote:

Don't we have until May for seat deposit? I was going to see where the UF waitlist went over the next month.

They told me the date was April 1st. I was going to pay it and watch the UF waitlist, too.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”