University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cigator

Re: University of Florida

Postby cigator » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:54 pm

whuts4lunch wrote:waitlisted, withdrew a few minutes ago via fax

How do you get waitlisted at UF and get a 20k offer from Emory? That makes no sense to me. What #'s did you have?

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:03 pm

167, 3.3

mango26

Postby mango26 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:10 pm

Last edited by mango26 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:25 pm

Is it just me or does it seem like they've waitlisting an inordinate amount of people???? They already send out more acceptance letters then students they actually want...this on top of the waitlist from 3/11, 3/16 and 3/17 seems a little bizarre and excessive.

cigator

Postby cigator » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:29 pm

I am so not looking forward to getting my mail later today. Clearly there are 0 acceptances out of the 3/16 3/17 batch. In past years that batch would have been mostly admits. Anyone have a clue when they start pulling from the waitlist. I think I have until late April, early May to confirm acceptance at the schools that want me.

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:49 pm

DLIT:3/16
165, 3.23
Waitlist letter received today.

cigator, I don't think there's any chance of them pulling from the waitlist until after their first seat deposit deadline (which is, sadly, much later than other schools- May 15).

cigator

Postby cigator » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:25 pm

ChattTNdt wrote:DLIT:3/16
165, 3.23

cigator, I don't think there's any chance of them pulling from the waitlist until after their first seat deposit deadline (which is, sadly, much later than other schools- May 15).

What is the typical strategy here. Do you pay seat deposit elsewhere and wait on UF waitlist, or commit elsewhere and withdraw from UF. Not sure how to play this.

fcowrx

Postby fcowrx » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:30 pm

165, 3.23

The first seat deposit is April 1 for those who have received a scholarship. That should free up a few spots. Good luck to those riding out the waitlist.

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:43 pm

trialjunky wrote:Is it just me or does it seem like they've waitlisting an inordinate amount of people???? They already send out more acceptance letters then students they actually want...this on top of the waitlist from 3/11, 3/16 and 3/17 seems a little bizarre and excessive.

They are concerned that more accepted applicants than usual will not accept their offers - and rightfully so, given that the offers they've made have been to applicants who have, on average, much better numbers than UF students typically have. Basically, the Office of Admissions is trying to cover its ass as best as it can, keeping the extra waitlistees as insurance against missing quota should a flood of withdrawls/non-responses come in over the next couple months.

fcowrx wrote:
165, 3.23

The first seat deposit is April 1 for those who have received a scholarship. That should free up a few spots. Good luck to those riding out the waitlist.

Yes, very true, fcowrx. In fact, I would imagine that a very large percentage of acceptances off of waitlist will come shortly after April 1st (with most of the rest coming shortly after May 15th). Most applicants who received scholarship offers have numbers that would put them in range of being accepted by schools ranked substantially higher. Most scholarship recipients will opt for one of those higher-ranked schools, and will probably not bother to notify UF in the weeks leading up to April 1st. Many, if not most, of the applicants who get accepted but do not receive scholarship offers do not have numbers good enough to place them at substantially higher-ranked schools (especially not with scholarship offers), and therefore are much more likely to accept UF's offer of admission. Of course, that's all common sense.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:08 pm

Lomax wrote:They are concerned that more accepted applicants than usual will not accept their offers - and rightfully so, given that the offers they've made have been to applicants who have, on average, much better numbers than UF students typically have. Basically, the Office of Admissions is trying to cover its ass as best as it can, keeping the extra waitlistees as insurance against missing quota should a flood of withdrawls/non-responses come in over the next couple months.

In other words, they're concerned about their yield rate because more people may have cast a wider net and applied to UF as a safety or have been accepted other places as well this year and not yet withdrawn. Seems like a valid reason to be concerned. :wink:

cigator

Postby cigator » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:57 pm

JCougar wrote:
Lomax wrote:They are concerned that more accepted applicants than usual will not accept their offers - and rightfully so, given that the offers they've made have been to applicants who have, on average, much better numbers than UF students typically have. Basically, the Office of Admissions is trying to cover its ass as best as it can, keeping the extra waitlistees as insurance against missing quota should a flood of withdrawls/non-responses come in over the next couple months.

In other words, they're concerned about their yield rate because more people may have cast a wider net and applied to UF as a safety or have been accepted other places as well this year and not yet withdrawn. Seems like a valid reason to be concerned. :wink:

Not sure how this plays out. If I am waitlisted at UF, I may commit elsewhere. If others in my shoes follow suit, and they get a significant number of withdrawls, they may find themselves without many applicants with higher numbers than the current student body, which wouldn't help raise their numbers at all.

snuggleuffagus

Postby snuggleuffagus » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:10 pm

WL - 162 Lsat

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:11 pm

JCougar wrote:In other words, they're concerned about their yield rate because more people may have cast a wider net and applied to UF as a safety or have been accepted other places as well this year and not yet withdrawn. Seems like a valid reason to be concerned. :wink:

It is. But what you claimed before, and what I took issue with, is that it will be "physically impossible" for UF to avoid a decrease in yield from last year. That is completely false. There are a variety of possible ways for UF to avoid a decrease in yield, regardless of what the likely outcome may seem to be at first glance. In fact, given the drastic measures that UF has taken here (waitlisting seemingly half of all applicants), I would think it very likely that UF will, in fact, ultimately avoid a decrease in yield.

cigator wrote:Not sure how this plays out. If I am waitlisted at UF, I may commit elsewhere. If others in my shoes follow suit, and they get a significant number of withdrawls, they may find themselves without many applicants with higher numbers than the current student body, which wouldn't help raise their numbers at all.

This is true. I am guessing that UF will show a statistical increase smaller than what had originally been hoped for, but that there will still be some LSAT/GPA gain, and that the class will be filled to capacity.

snuggleuffagus wrote:WL - 162 Lsat

That makes me very sad. I like the Snuggle bear a lot. I hope you get accepted off the waitlist soon.

cigator

Postby cigator » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:20 pm

snuggleuffagus wrote:WL - 162 Lsat

Dang, thats my LSAT. Not looking good. What was GPA

GoTribe1

Postby GoTribe1 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:31 pm

Waitlisted with a 3.3/163. Do you think when they consider accepting me from the waitlist they will look at my February LSAT- (which is only 1 point higher, but still...)?

Katherine

Postby Katherine » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:32 pm

WL-3.4/162 in-state

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:44 pm

GoTribe1 wrote:Waitlisted with a 3.3/163. Do you think when they consider accepting me from the waitlist they will look at my February LSAT- (which is only 1 point higher, but still...)?

UF seems to hold pretty strict to their admissions policies... which include not considering the February LSAT for priority pool applicants.

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:47 pm

I agree completely. I hope this shows itself to be true through a large number of acceptances from the waitlist in late April-early May. Maybe the 3/16'ers are the applicants who will be first to come off the waitlist :D

melaniec

Postby melaniec » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:49 pm

WL- DLIT 3/16. 161/3.59
Boo. Good thing I don't want to pursue law anymore...

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:53 pm

ChattTNdt wrote:

I agree completely. I hope this shows itself to be true through a large number of acceptances from the waitlist in late April-early May. Maybe the 3/16'ers are the applicants who will be first to come off the waitlist :D

I'm not even completely sure about this, because there's a small group of people that still haven't gone DLIT, and they seem to have slightly better numbers than this WL crew.

joeysun

Postby joeysun » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:56 pm

161/162

RCDP 12/3
DLIT 3/16

Wait-list 3/22

I've been accepted to FSU already (actually the same week I applied back in October), and they've been recruiting me heavily. I really enjoyed their Scholar's Day event, too. Despite being a former Gator, I'm going to pay my seat deposit at FSU and ride the UF Waitlist until maybe late May.

Anyone else in the same boat?

anders08

Postby anders08 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:56 pm

So you think there are still people with higher numbers that will be acceptances? Or do you think they have reached a good number and will continue to WL everyone?

I had a friend with 170 3.3 at duke undergrad that was WL'd today. Just crazy

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:58 pm

JCougar wrote:
ChattTNdt wrote:

I'm not even completely sure about this, because there's a small group of people that still haven't gone DLIT, and they seem to have slightly better numbers than this WL crew.

Very true. On that topic, here is a quote from an e-mail I received from an admissions committee member that may be of interest to those who still have not gone DLIT- "As admitted students turn down our offers, we may be able to make offers either to applicants on the waitlist or to those whose decisions are still pending". She went on to say that "all priority pool applicants will receive a decision (admit, deny or waitlist) by the end of March." So apparently they are leaving the door open to accept some secondary pool applicants after the April 1 scholarship seat deposit deadline has passed, and will be sending decisions to all remaining priority pool applicants sometime this week.

cigator

Postby cigator » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:16 pm

WL 162 3.62

smartin

Postby smartin » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:24 pm

domeafavor wrote:
ChattTNdt wrote:
JCougar wrote:There's another factor in play here that some people seem not to be considering: the secondary applicant pool. Technically, people are not even done applying to the school. I'm still not sure how that works if you're someone with a February LSAT but applied as a primary applicant. And I have no idea how many people even apply through this pool, much less get accepted.

Anyone applying through secondary pool is, at best, a waitlist. That's according to UF's website-

"2. SECONDARY APPLICANT POOL
Secondary pool applicants, including those whose incomplete applications are carried forward from the priority pool, will not be considered until all applicants from the priority pool have been considered. Because it is possible that the fall 2010 entering class will be filled from the priority pool, it is possible that secondary pool applicants may only be considered for placement on the fall 2010 wait list. "

I was in the secondary applicant pool and was accepted.

App submitted 1/21
App complete 2/4
Reviewed by committee, decision pending 3/2
Letter in transit (accepted) 3/5

160, 4.08 in-state.

It's undoubtedly harder to get in through the secondary pool, but not impossible.

(But then, this could just go to show that if you were complete in the secondary pool by 3/1, or the date that they could actually start considering you, and you had competitive numbers, you would hear relatively quickly.)

Congrats to you, domeafavor. I applied a couple days after the priority pool closed back in January. I went "under review" last week. It's a reach for me, especially in the secondary pool. Numbers in my profile.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”