University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nbatty

Re: University of Florida

Postby nbatty » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:57 pm

I see. I've got a fat ticket for hunting big game over supplemental feed in Georgia. May be enough to keep me in the "RCDP" pile for the rest of my life...

redvelvetccake

Postby redvelvetccake » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:11 pm

Kchuck wrote:Who's going tomorrow!?

I, unfortunately, wont be able to but if you are I may TLS stalk you for the 411. Just thought I'd give you the heads up lol

cjs20

Postby cjs20 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:16 pm

I had criminal issues as well. All charges dropped in 2006 incident.

169/2.8

I made a 1.0 the two semesters of my freshmen year, got arrested, then turned everything around: 3.8 for the last three years, 2 B.A.'s, good recs, and good work experience. I hope I have made ammends, but all I have gotten is two waitlists and two rejections.

COME ON UF!

cigator

Postby cigator » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:18 pm

ScndCareertyme wrote:162/3.5 according to LSN.....

Can that be true, you get 18k with those #'s. Mine are a little better. Im DIT 3/16. Seems many 3/16's should be getting that deal.

redvelvetccake

Postby redvelvetccake » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:20 pm

Question for everyone who has gotten scholarships:

My scholarship info paper says it has to be submitted April 1st and that I must also submit the enrollment form. Does this mean that I have to submit the enrollment form along with the scholarship confirmation form or can I submit the scholarship confirmation form and wait until the May 15th deadline to submit the enrollment form....this feels like a question I probably got wrong on the LSAT!!! It just makes a big difference in my decision whether I can wait until May or not.

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:35 pm

cigator wrote:

Can that be true, you get 18k with those #'s. Mine are a little better. Im DIT 3/16. Seems many 3/16's should be getting that deal.

You'd be surprised now random UF is with money... 167/3.55 and I got absolutely nothing.

Kchuck

Postby Kchuck » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:53 pm

redvelvetccake wrote:
Kchuck wrote:Who's going tomorrow!?

I, unfortunately, wont be able to but if you are I may TLS stalk you for the 411. Just thought I'd give you the heads up lol

lol, Sounds good. I'll be there for sure. I'll post my thoughts sometime afterwards.

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:07 am

Last edited by Moose Thompson on Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:24 am

nbatty wrote:I see. I've got a fat ticket for hunting big game over supplemental feed in Georgia. May be enough to keep me in the "RCDP" pile for the rest of my life...

Woah, that's wild. Bambi's (or Smokey Bear's) revenge.

JCougar wrote:Take a look, though, at the number of other schools the applicants that have been accepted to UF this year compared to last year. It's not scientific, but I looked at about a dozen "accepted"s from last year, and about half of them applied to only a handful of schools. I randomly clicked on a dozen profiles from this year's acceptances, and found almost everyone had applied to a dozen or more schools (some even three dozen). The only one who applied to less than 10 that I clicked on was already accepted to Texas and currently lives in Austin, so there's a high probability that he/she will withdraw from UF.

I'm just saying...Florida can't afford to be that much more selective this cycle because the number of applicants hasn't increased that much. It already looks like they've tried to raise their median a point this year, which would account for the greater selectivity. I seriously doubt they're going to be able to do much more than that.

There are many more than a dozen accepted UF applicants for both this year and last listed on LSN. Your study was not just unscientific; it was so limited that it should be considered entirely unworthy of consideration.

Even if the "results" could be extrapolated, what did the results tell you, besides that prospective students are applying to more schools? You note that one individual included in your survey was accepted to UT and lives in Austin, and will therefore probably not attend UF. However, why shouldn't any of the other individuals not attend UF? UF may be the best option for them - if not for its rank, then for its value.

Oh, and by the way - I just randomly brought up the LSN profiles of 3 prospective students accepted by UF this year and last. Last years' showed 13, 9, and 4 schools applied to. This year's showed 6, 5, and 3 schools applied to.

JCougar wrote:I don't think the people who apply to law schools are the ones that are financially suffering right now. Nevertheless, I give law school applicants more credit than that. A few dollars right now could turn out to be a very wise investment if you get accepted into somewhere and get surprised with a scholarship offer that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Even if you don't want to go to the school, being admitted gives you leverage to get more money from schools you really do want to go to. People are smart, and they're not limiting their options this year.

You don't? Shall we take a poll? People fresh-out-of-college (the group most law school applicants find themselves in) are always financially suffering, and they are especially bad off when they've been forced to go without any/a reduced income for a while due to an economic downturn taking what little work they can normally get away from them. Maybe TLSers with time to blow online don't feel the pinch like most people do, but there is a pinch. People tend to do what they can to avoid the pinch. They possibly get more conservative in their choices of schools to apply to, and/or they possibly apply to fewer schools. They don't apply to more reaches. As for using admissions as leverage for scholarship money - I have yet to hear of anyone successfully doing that this year, and I doubt if anyone outside TLS seriously believes that it can be done - at least to the point at which they'd be willing to put money (any amount) on it.

JCougar wrote:Early acceptances going up doesn't mean jack squat, especially if they have better numbers. Maybe these are people that applied to an extra safety or two. The fact that they have better numbers means that they were also likely to have been accepted to better schools, and ITE, better schools seem to be the way to go. You're confusing accepted students with people who actually matriculate. And LOL at my purported lack of logical reasoning skills. The rest of your paragraph is a mess of discombobulated statements with little to no logical cohesion or emperical support at all. Your "evidence" for there NOT being an increase in applications (with respect to applicants) is even worse than hearsay. It's complete speculation.

Early acceptances increasing to the point of late acceptances (the traditional last batches prior to acceptances off of the waitlist) being entirely unnecessary certainly means more than "jack squat". Before you try and identify flaws in my thought processes (which are generally non-existent), JCougar, find the many in your own. We don't need to consider whether or not the applicants matriculate here. The question being asked is one regarding application patterns, not matriculation patterns or yield results. And though you may not be sufficiently equipped to see it, it is true that the increase in early acceptances could point to applicants applying more conservatively, to fewer law schools, just as easily as it could point to applicants applying to more safeties. Remember that LSN is very skewed in that, generally speaking, only those who apply to many law schools will bother creating a profile there. Given that LSN has shown no change in UF applicant numbers this year, and that acceptance rates possibly indicate a large increase in UF applicant numbers, it could well be that many non-LSN users - people who applied to few schools - applied to UF this year. Hence, people on average applying to fewer schools this year.

In any case, your main point - the "physical certainty" of a decrease in yield this year for UF - which I showed to a be preposterous one using a physically plausible scenario that you curiously and prudently found laughable and perplexing enough not to challenge - would be just as absurd were you not to take it to such extremes. Unless we have a concrete reason to believe that the applicants' behavioral patterns will change from last year to this (that they will, for some reason, matriculate more or less), then we have to assume that an equal number of acceptances will likely yield a similar number of matriculated students. Can't understand quite what that means for you? Here, I'll make it simple: you have to prove that a greater percentage of applicants who get accepted by UF will withdraw this year than last year (and that waitlistees won't make up for any difference) else you don't have an argument. And guess what? You can't do that.

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:54 am

I, too, have "red flags" and am DLIT 3/16. I had to disclose my arrest for possession of marijuana, which occured within weeks of me sending my applications out. It was my first offense so I just got six months probation, and I updated all my applications with this info after my late February court date.

Similar to rcharles' updated LSAT story, I e-mailed Michelle Adorno (assistant dean of admissions) voicing my concerns about my still RC;DP application and reminded the admissions office that my probation would be over before the Fall semester begins and that this incident is not indicative of my potential for law school success. She replied back the next day, letting me know that she would make sure my file was updated with this new information. Just two days later, i got my DLIT status.

Coincidence? probably. but worth mentioning now that we're DLIT and the whole UF process is really OVER! I was very concerned about how this incident would affect my cycle, and waiting for my 1st admission is killing me. I've convinced myself that there's a very good chance I get waitlisted everywhere I applied. :?

ScndCareertyme

Postby ScndCareertyme » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:57 am

Well as long as we are all divulging, I've got a bankruptcy, granted it was due to Medical debt + business debt. I explained it pretty clearly on the PS, but never actually sent an addendum on the particularl issue. I knew my PS could make or brake me. looks like it might have combined with the numbers to brake...

cigator

Postby cigator » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:09 am

lawduder wrote:
cigator wrote:

You'd be surprised now random UF is with money... 167/3.55 and I got absolutely nothing.

Random, as in absolutely no criteria? I would hope not. Other than Bright Futures, I worked to pay my expenses to go to UF undergrad. Would that count for anything? If not, what does?

alanabanana

Postby alanabanana » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:45 am

cigator wrote:
lawduder wrote:
cigator wrote:

Random, as in absolutely no criteria? I would hope not. Other than Bright Futures, I worked to pay my expenses to go to UF undergrad. Would that count for anything? If not, what does?

cigator, I feel your pain
and I would hope that they have some criteria. These are the times I wish law school, too, would have an interviewing process. Regardless, our letters are almost here (my money's on tomorrow or Monday), and I am completely anxious, yet calm knowing that my fall back is a great school that's quickly rising in the ranks (now just one below UF). Please, don't let that start controversy on here, I am just stating the ranking!! Haha, I wish the best of luck to everyone!! 8)

GoTribe1

Postby GoTribe1 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:23 am

Jesus. Red flag here as well, DLIT 3/16. It's got to be more than a coincidence; these are definitely waitlists (hope I'm wrong).

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:12 am

yeah, they will be waitlists.... I did the LSAT twice.

avioguy687

Postby avioguy687 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:14 am

GoTribe1 wrote:Jesus. Red flag here as well, DLIT 3/16. It's got to be more than a coincidence; these are definitely waitlists (hope I'm wrong).

+1. Drunk in public my senior year. DLIT 3/16. I was optimistic, now not so much... :?

msv5010

Postby msv5010 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:19 am

Well, no red flags here but I'm assuming waitlist as well.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:27 am

I don't have any red flags, and I'm DLIT 3/16. Although, I guess my undergrad GPA is a red flag. :?

Seriously, though, I don't think y'all's red flags are all that serious. Hunting license violations? Marijuana posession? Marijuana is practically legal in a couple of states. It'd be a sad state of affairs if that were to disqualify you from law school.
Last edited by JCougar on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sky'stheLimit

Postby Sky'stheLimit » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:28 am

I still think we're fine. We are not stud applicants, buy that's why it has taken so long for us to b admitted. If we were going to be WLed we would have been on 3/11. Our numbers are solid, so I'm not worried. Either way, We will know soon enough!

steven3579

Postby steven3579 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:33 am

I'm dlit 3/16 without any red flags. 162 out of state. But my GPA may be suspect. 3.03 from community college and a 3.97 from large state university.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:35 am

Lomax wrote:There are many more than a dozen accepted UF applicants for both this year and last listed on LSN. Your study was not just unscientific; it was so limited that it should be considered entirely unworthy of consideration....blah blah blah..

message truncated to spare TLS from the repitition of boring trolling

It just so happens that you're wrong:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=93618&start=1275

Pless wrote:We are up 40% from same time last year. We received 3,500 applications last year. Nationally applications are up 7% and applicants are up 4.2%. I don't think the increase at Illinois can be attributed solely to the national increase.

A quote from Dean Pless of Illinois made today. This very instant.

You are wrong.

ScndCareertyme

Postby ScndCareertyme » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:59 am

forgot to add that I called the admissions office on Wednesday afternoon and they said the last admitted students day is April 23rd, with RSVPs opening on this next monday. Maybe just in time for some 3/16 admits to sign up???? Going off of sky's post this might be a ray of hope.

cigator

Postby cigator » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:22 am

I'm 162/3.62 with no red flags, DIT 3/16. But based on what I have learned here, I am not urm, so I guess it may be waitlist/reject. I recall a woman from Michigan a few years back that was denied admission to Michigan Law that had higher #'s than urm's accepted. She went to state court and won, but scotus overturned on 5-4 vote. Funny how you never give things like that much thought until it may affect you.

mango26

Postby mango26 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:30 am

Last edited by mango26 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rcharles

Postby rcharles » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:08 pm

Could some of you "no red-flaggers" who havn't already done so please post numbers?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”