University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Grizz

Re: University of Florida

Postby Grizz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:16 pm

wiggsb wrote:Compiled numbers for everyone who went DLIT on 3/16:

165 3.24
161 3.42
162 3.44
162 3.62
162 3.79
163 3.30
161 3.40
160 3.40
161 3.28
161 3.60
162 2.95
161 3.64
163 3.30
160 3.40
162 3.40
161 3.60
164 2.61
162 3.62
162 3.03
161 3.50
164 3.10
161 3.45
159 3.90
161 3.61
168 2.80

I can't believe this is a giant group of rejections. Cross your fingers people.

Looks like a bunch of WL with probably a couple of admits (162/3.79, 165/3.2 for example).

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:18 pm

165 3.24
161 3.42
162 3.44
162 3.62
162 3.79
163 3.30
161 3.40
160 3.40
161 3.28
161 3.60
162 2.95
161 3.64
163 3.30
160 3.40
162 3.40
161 3.60
164 2.61
162 3.62
162 3.03
161 3.50
164 3.10
161 3.45
159 3.90
161 3.61
168 2.80

Honestly, I can't imagine that group would be all rejections. Good Luck! :wink: I think it's an acceptance pool!

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:20 pm

farewelltoarms wrote:As to the person who speculated that the same number of applicants are applying as last year but just to more schools, I find that suspect. I would think that alot more people are applying this year as people who tried to find jobs last year but couldn't turn to law school. Secondly, I really think that the average person, not on TLS forums, really only applies to a handful of different schools. I doubt that most people can afford the application fees for 10+ different schools, or even the out of state tuition for most schools.

If you look at the total number of applicants, the number signing up on LSN rises each year as the site becomes more popular. I think more and more people are covering their bases this year because they want to make absolute sure they get in somewhere, and more and more people are using LSN and TLS to educate themselves better about the application process. But there's also more debt aversion right now, especially with the uncertainty of the future of the legal market. Dean Pless of Illinois posted on this very site that applications have skyrocketed, but the total number of applicants hasn't dramatically risen. That was back in November or so, so I don't know if that trend has held up, but so far, that seems to make sense.

alanabanana

Postby alanabanana » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:35 pm

well I am a 161, 3.6 and it would really suck to be placed on the waitlist. I am placed on the waitlist of GW, a school ranked way higher than UF, but that seems to mean nothing to UF. My decision is in transit 3/16, so my fingers are crossed. But, if it's waitlist..I remain a nole! But, a change of scenery would be nice after 4 yearssss. We shall see.
words of encouragement are always splendid.

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:37 pm

p_r wrote:My 3/11 letter has informed me of my place on the waitlist (157/3.58). It also states that "as of this date, all Fall 2010 admissions offers have been extended."

And this is why hearsay is inadmissible. I was dead on to begin with. 3/11 = waitlist, despite the admissions rep apparently telling that guy who posted earlier otherwise. Now if this letter states the truth, then my theory of UF's quota being filled early this year will probably also prove to be dead on, and it will be show's over until some withdrawals and then acceptances off of the waitlist for those waitlistees with the best numbers. Anyone waitlisted with a 161 or better and a 3.4 or better should still feel good about their chances (however, sitting on the fence would be risky, given deadlines for other schools). Commiserations to those who didn't make the cut; better luck next year, or best of luck at whichever school you decide to attend in the alternative.

P.S. (to the guy who thought that application numbers would be up but yields would be down because people would be applying to more schools) How does that make any sense? Why would people be applying to more schools? They aren't getting richer or less decisive about where they want to go. And even if they were applying to more schools, why would UF be any less competitively appealing than it has been in the best? Competition has not increased any great deal between this year and last on the school side; however, a flood of new applicants, given the terrible state of the job market, may have made for a significant increase on the applicant side. More applicants here simply means more opportunity for the law school to be choosy in who it accepts and rejects.

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:40 pm

rad law wrote:

165 3.24
161 3.42
162 3.44
162 3.62
162 3.79
163 3.30
161 3.40
160 3.40
161 3.28
161 3.60
162 2.95
161 3.64
163 3.30
160 3.40
162 3.40
161 3.60
164 2.61
162 3.62
162 3.03
161 3.50
164 3.10
161 3.45
159 3.90
161 3.61
168 2.80

Looks like a bunch of WL with probably a couple of admits (162/3.79, 165/3.2 for example).

Yeah, cannot believe these will all be waitlists... Our numbers together would form one hell of 1L section, above the average 1L UF section for sure.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:46 pm

Lomax wrote:P.S. (to the guy who thought that application numbers would be up but yields would be down because people would be applying to more schools) How does that make any sense? Why would people be applying to more schools? They aren't getting richer or less decisive about where they want to go. And even if they were applying to more schools, why would UF be any less competitively appealing than it has been in the best? Competition has not increased any great deal between this year and last on the school side; however, a flood of new applicants, given the terrible state of the job market, may have made for a significant increase on the applicant side. More applicants here simply means more opportunity for the law school to be choosy in who it accepts and rejects.

I'm just going by the information that was provided by an actual Dean of Admissions, who would seem to know the situation best.

I don't think you really understand what happens when more people apply to more schools (especially if they are the stronger, TLS/LSN applicants). These people are simply admitted to more schools, so they have more to choose from. Since it's physically impossible for them to matriculate at more than one school, naturally they have to withdraw more places.

If you don't think that more people are applying more places, just take a look at how the number of applicants on LSN have skyrocketed every year. We've already discussed how the LSN-type (ultra-gunner) is more prone to submit multiple apps to make sure all their bases are covered, so it should come as no surprise that the nubmer of applications has risen faster than the number of applicants. I'm not saying that the number of applicants hasn't risen at all this year -- all I'm saying is that the increase in applications isn't perfectly reflective of the increase in applicants. Thus, it's physically impossible not to have a lower yield rate this year, and not to have more withdrawls.

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:47 pm

JCougar wrote:
farewelltoarms wrote:As to the person who speculated that the same number of applicants are applying as last year but just to more schools, I find that suspect. I would think that alot more people are applying this year as people who tried to find jobs last year but couldn't turn to law school. Secondly, I really think that the average person, not on TLS forums, really only applies to a handful of different schools. I doubt that most people can afford the application fees for 10+ different schools, or even the out of state tuition for most schools.

If you look at the total number of applicants, the number signing up on LSN rises each year as the site becomes more popular. I think more and more people are covering their bases this year because they want to make absolute sure they get in somewhere, and more and more people are using LSN and TLS to educate themselves better about the application process. But there's also more debt aversion right now, especially with the uncertainty of the future of the legal market. Dean Pless of Illinois posted on this very site that applications have skyrocketed, but the total number of applicants hasn't dramatically risen. That was back in November or so, so I don't know if that trend has held up, but so far, that seems to make sense.

I agree with farewelltoarms. Also, take a look at the number of UF applicants listed on LSN, this year and last - about the same. The number of acceptances this year already beats the number of acceptances through the end of last, from what I remember.

Also, consider that some people might only apply to a few law schools. These people will almost never sign up for LSN. LSN gives you a warped view in this way.

alanabanana wrote:well I am a 161, 3.6 and it would really suck to be placed on the waitlist. I am placed on the waitlist of GW, a school ranked way higher than UF, but that seems to mean nothing to UF. My decision is in transit 3/16, so my fingers are crossed. But, if it's waitlist..I remain a nole! But, a change of scenery would be nice after 4 yearssss. We shall see.

I've been routing for you, and perhaps there is still hope - certainly from the waitlist, if that's where you unfortunately end up, given your relatively high numbers. If I were you, I would delay making my seat deposit at FSU for as long as possible, and never withdraw from UF's waitlist.

alanabanana

Postby alanabanana » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:51 pm

Lomax wrote:
JCougar wrote:

I agree with farewelltoarms. Also, take a look at the number of UF applicants listed on LSN, this year and last - about the same. The number of acceptances this year already beats the number of acceptances through the end of last, from what I remember.

Also, consider that some people might only apply to a few law schools. These people will almost never sign up for LSN. LSN gives you a warped view in this way.

alanabanana wrote:well I am a 161, 3.6 and it would really suck to be placed on the waitlist. I am placed on the waitlist of GW, a school ranked way higher than UF, but that seems to mean nothing to UF. My decision is in transit 3/16, so my fingers are crossed. But, if it's waitlist..I remain a nole! But, a change of scenery would be nice after 4 yearssss. We shall see.

I've been routing for you, and perhaps there is still hope - certainly from the waitlist, if that's where you unfortunately end up, given your relatively high numbers. If I were you, I would delay making my seat deposit at FSU for as long as possible, and never withdraw from UF's waitlist.

Booo, so you're saying that 3/16 is most likely a waitlist batch (it's clear that there aren't any "mixed batches") that blows. FSU's seat deposit is due April 1st. It is only $200 though, so I can just go where the wind takes meeeee. I am still not losing hope though. I tend to do that, and I will not.. this time! Appreciate your responses, Lomax!

Sky'stheLimit

Postby Sky'stheLimit » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:53 pm

We're fine. Look at the numbers in our group, and the list is short encyclopedia brown's 2.95/177 w/ 2 years W/E. Im the lowest on the list, but I have some very unique softs...

alanabanana

Postby alanabanana » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:55 pm

Sky'stheLimit wrote:

We're fine. Look at the numbers in our group, and the list is short encyclopedia brown's 2.95/177 w/ 2 years W/E

Hi,
I hope you're right.
and I must admit.. I have a really good feeling about this. I am wondering if there is indeed a difference between the 3/16 and 3/17 letters though.

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:58 pm

Sky'stheLimit wrote:

We're fine. Look at the numbers in our group, and the list is short encyclopedia brown's 2.95/177 w/ 2 years W/E

Yes, we must hold onto hope. Why would they send out a big batch of <160 waitlists, only to waitlist all the remaining >160 five days later?

I know 2010 is a whole different ballgame than 2009, but like I mentioned before UF sent out acceptances on 3/18/09 and then sent waitlists on 3/20/09. They also sent out a batch of waitlists the previous week. 3/16 and 3/17 could potentially be comparable to 3/18 and 3/20 of '09.

p_r

Postby p_r » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:59 pm

JCougar wrote:
p_r wrote:It also states that "as of this date, all Fall 2010 admissions offers have been extended."

That's most likely BS, because they have no idea how many people are going to eventually withdraw. I'm sure they have a limit as to how many outstanding admissions offers they are allowed to send out, and they aren't allowed to send out any more until people withdraw. They don't want to end up being Miami last year.

Furthermore, it depends on their definition of "extended". "Extended" could mean that they already decided to admit more people but hadn't yet sent out the letters.

I understand that this statement does not enumerate those who are waitlisted and subsequently admitted, but I expect it to mean that as of 3/11, provided that all things remain equal, all offers have been sent out.

An offer is extended only when a communication of the offer is made. Assistant Dean of Admissions of a law school should know what an offer is. If that is not the case, than perhaps that institution is not worth attending.

Regardless, I wish the best of luck to those of you still waiting.

Sky'stheLimit

Postby Sky'stheLimit » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:01 pm

alanabanana wrote:
Sky'stheLimit wrote:

Hi,
I hope you're right.
and I must admit.. I have a really good feeling about this. I am wondering if there is indeed a difference between the 3/16 and 3/17 letters though.

I think there is. 3/17's have lower numbers, which is why I think they are at best WL (but if they were, why wouldnt they have been with 3/11). Historically, UF releases in batches of similar decisions at this time of year, and thus couldnt put 3/17s with us despite their status change on the same day.

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:05 pm

JCougar wrote:
Lomax wrote:P.S. (to the guy who thought that application numbers would be up but yields would be down because people would be applying to more schools) How does that make any sense? Why would people be applying to more schools? They aren't getting richer or less decisive about where they want to go. And even if they were applying to more schools, why would UF be any less competitively appealing than it has been in the best? Competition has not increased any great deal between this year and last on the school side; however, a flood of new applicants, given the terrible state of the job market, may have made for a significant increase on the applicant side. More applicants here simply means more opportunity for the law school to be choosy in who it accepts and rejects.

I'm just going by the information that was provided by an actual Dean of Admissions, who would seem to know the situation best.

I don't think you really understand what happens when more people apply to more schools (especially if they are the stronger, TLS/LSN applicants). These people are simply admitted to more schools, so they have more to choose from. Since it's physically impossible for them to matriculate at more than one school, naturally they have to withdraw more places.

If you don't think that more people are applying more places, just take a look at how the number of applicants on LSN have skyrocketed every year. We've already discussed how the LSN-type (ultra-gunner) is more prone to submit multiple apps to make sure all their bases are covered, so it should come as no surprise that the nubmer of applications has risen faster than the number of applicants. I'm not saying that the number of applicants hasn't risen at all this year -- all I'm saying is that the increase in applications isn't perfectly reflective of the increase in applicants. Thus, it's physically impossible not to have a lower yield rate this year, and not to have more withdrawls.

:lol: You're funny.

Hearsay is inadmissible, and we just found out why a short while ago. I don't care what you say one Dean told you at some point in whichever context; people don't all the sudden start plunking down money applying to significantly more law schools en masse in the midst of a big recession. They want to be sure to secure a seat somewhere, you say? They've been doing that for years, by making realistic choices. And like I said just now, the number of applicants to UF on LSN has actually not gone anywhere between last year and this. However, the early acceptances (with better numbers) have gone way up. This tells me that people could actually be applying to fewer law schools now, given that people who apply to fewer law schools generally avoid using LSN, and that more people overall are applying. You show that you have little talent for logical reasoning with your last statement - even accepting your false conditions, if all of the admitted students this year happened to love alligators so much that they let their love for alligators make their law school decision for them, then UF's yield would almost certainly be much greater this year. There would, in fact, be no withdrawals at all. Be careful when you refer to something as "physically impossible" next time.

And now I must drive across West Texas to Southwest New Mexico. Enjoy yourselves.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:08 pm

Lomax wrote:
JCougar wrote:

Take a look, though, at the number of other schools the applicants that have been accepted to UF this year compared to last year. It's not scientific, but I looked at about a dozen "accepted"s from last year, and about half of them applied to only a handful of schools. I randomly clicked on a dozen profiles from this year's acceptances, and found almost everyone had applied to a dozen or more schools (some even three dozen). The only one who applied to less than 10 that I clicked on was already accepted to Texas and currently lives in Austin, so there's a high probability that he/she will withdraw from UF.

I'm just saying...Florida can't afford to be that much more selective this cycle because the number of applicants hasn't increased that much. It already looks like they've tried to raise their median a point this year, which would account for the greater selectivity. I seriously doubt they're going to be able to do much more than that.

LoveSaltLife

Postby LoveSaltLife » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:09 pm

alanabanana wrote:
Sky'stheLimit wrote:

Hi,
I hope you're right.

What are the stats of the 3/17 group? I am part of it 158/3.6. Its probably WL at best.

waverider

Postby waverider » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:09 pm

Would it be too much to expect that at least one of us 3/16 posters will get our decision by tomorrow or Friday?

alanabanana

Postby alanabanana » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:11 pm

waverider wrote:Would it be too much to expect that at least one of us 3/16 posters will get our decision by tomorrow or Friday?

YES lol. the soonest I've seen has been a 4 day wait. My money is on Saturday or Monday for the letter to get to me in Tallahassee!

UFLS2013

Postby UFLS2013 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:11 pm

3/11 waitlist

flowb

Postby flowb » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:15 pm

It could be possible that as applicants withdraw from UF, that the school may choose to accept more people who are/were RCPD before dipping into the waitlist. Just a thought. My numbers are similar to the #s on the list wiggsb compiled, but am still decision pending, I am hoping UF did not forget me.

waverider

Postby waverider » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:17 pm

alanabanana wrote:
waverider wrote:Would it be too much to expect that at least one of us 3/16 posters will get our decision by tomorrow or Friday?

YES lol. the soonest I've seen has been a 4 day wait. My money is on Saturday or Monday for the letter to get to me in Tallahassee!

Oh I wasn't expecting it, half joking, half hoping.

Btw... Good luck

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:21 pm

Lomax wrote:
JCougar wrote:

:lol: You're funny.

Hearsay is inadmissible, and we just found out why a short while ago. I don't care what you say one Dean told you at some point in whichever context; people don't all the sudden start plunking down money applying to significantly more law schools en masse in the midst of a big recession. They want to be sure to secure a seat somewhere, you say? They've been doing that for years, by making realistic choices. And like I said just now, the number of applicants to UF on LSN has actually not gone anywhere between last year and this.

I don't think the people who apply to law schools are the ones that are financially suffering right now. Nevertheless, I give law school applicants more credit than that. A few dollars right now could turn out to be a very wise investment if you get accepted into somewhere and get surprised with a scholarship offer that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Even if you don't want to go to the school, being admitted gives you leverage to get more money from schools you really do want to go to. People are smart, and they're not limiting their options this year.

However, the early acceptances (with better numbers) have gone way up. This tells me that people could actually be applying to fewer law schools now, given that people who apply to fewer law schools generally avoid using LSN, and that more people overall are applying. You show that you have little talent for logical reasoning with your last statement - even accepting your false conditions, if all of the admitted students this year happened to love alligators so much that they let their love for alligators make their law school decision for them, then UF's yield would almost certainly be much greater this year. There would, in fact, be no withdrawals at all. Be careful when you refer to something as "physically impossible" next time.

Early acceptances going up doesn't mean jack squat, especially if they have better numbers. Maybe these are people that applied to an extra safety or two. The fact that they have better numbers means that they were also likely to have been accepted to better schools, and ITE, better schools seem to be the way to go. You're confusing accepted students with people who actually matriculate. And LOL at my purported lack of logical reasoning skills. The rest of your paragraph is a mess of discombobulated statements with little to no logical cohesion or emperical support at all. Your "evidence" for there NOT being an increase in applications (with respect to applicants) is even worse than hearsay. It's complete speculation.

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:31 pm

Lomax wrote: However, the early acceptances (with better numbers) have gone way up. This tells me that people could actually be applying to fewer law schools now, given that people who apply to fewer law schools generally avoid using LSN, and that more people overall are applying.

How does this indicate that people are applying to fewer schools? All it tells me is that a greater percentage of the applicants with auto-admit numbers (early acceptances) used LSN this year than in previous years.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:36 pm

ChattTNdt wrote:
Lomax wrote: However, the early acceptances (with better numbers) have gone way up. This tells me that people could actually be applying to fewer law schools now, given that people who apply to fewer law schools generally avoid using LSN, and that more people overall are applying.

How does this indicate that people are applying to fewer schools? All it tells me is that a greater percentage of the applicants with auto-admit numbers (early acceptances) used LSN this year than in previous years.

Or it means that more people applied to UF as a safety. There's just so many holes in that logic...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”