University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sky'stheLimit
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:00 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Sky'stheLimit » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:40 am

xeckosk8trx wrote:[
quote="Sky'stheLimit"]
Lomax wrote:
xeckosk8trx wrote:Hey everyone,

I called UF this morning and they told me that for those who went D.I.T. on 03/11/2010 the decision batch is mixed. It's a collection of Acceptances, Waitlists, and Denies. Although not so many WL.

I hope this gives some people hope.


Interesting... Very interesting.

If true, it marks an apparent departure from traditional procedure. Also, it has to give the DIT 3/16ers a lot of confidence, for they generally have better numbers than the DIT 3/11ers - some of whom were apparently accepted. Of course, going by xeckosk8trx's statement, the person on the phone could have been telling the truth had there been only two acceptances, two waitlists, and however many rejections.

And then, xeckosk8trx's statement is hearsay. We'll just have to wait and see. That last sentence pretty much sums up how I feel about the 3/16 batch as well. Before xeckosk8trx's revelation, I would have been ready to call 3/16 a mixed batch. But if 3/11 was a mixed batch, then surely 3/16 is all acceptances? However, the 3/16s aren't good enough to all be acceptances.

What would make the most sense to me, at this point, assuming that 3/11 was a mixed batch, would be that 3/11 was mostly rejections with a few waitlists and even fewer acceptances (the rep on the phone didn't want to pull a Lomax and be the bearer of bad news), that 3/16 is also a mixed batch composed almost entirely of waitlists but also including some acceptances, and that 3/17 and beyond will be either waitlists or rejections.

Important to consider is the fact that LSN shows more UF applicants accepted already this year - before the last few batches of decisions - than were accepted last year by the end. This could mean that UF simply doesn't need to board the stragglers to fill the train this year, so to speak. "But wait, isn't it true that a lot more people sign up for LSN every successive year?!" Maybe, maybe not, but from last year to this, the number of listed UF applicants has remained fairly constant.

Also, I find it atrocious that UF does not consider February LSAT scores. The Broncos fan who got screwed because of that should reapply next year and earn some money in the interim if he does not get admitted this year, so that he can be awarded the offer of admission and scholarship money he will certainly get then and deserves.


How do you figure? UF's median is a 161, and I dont think there was a single LSAT score out of the 15 or so reported here under 160 (with probably more than 1/2 over 161). Additionally, most had pretty solid GPA, and the couple that didn't had 166+ LSATs (including a 177). We're not auto-admits, but still very competitive for UF.

Also, someone pointed out that UF has a pretty convincing motivation to be splitter friendly with FSU's USNWR ranking right behind them (I know we've covered UF vs FSU dominance a hundred times Lomax, but I dont think anyone would deny that UF is certainly going to be very proactive in maintaining their position as far as admissions is concerned). I think I buy this argument.

Thoughts on mixed batched/status changes dated 3/17(on 3/16): UF is releasing in batches, which is consistent with their history. Yesterday, a few people with sub 160 LSATs had status changes, but dated for today so they would technically be released separately, despite decision/status changes occurring on the same day.

If anything just let me remain optimistic ;)

Do you know when the first batch of WLs went out last year Lomax??




Don't kill the messenger!!!![/quote]

I dont really think I came across that way, but If I did, sorry Lomax. Either way, we're all aspiring attorneys, so we should be able to handle a little bit of respectful give-and-take. None of us know what's going on, and that's the bottom line. However, I did want Lomax's response particularly on some of my thoughts. It definitely was not intended to be a personal attack.

cigator
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby cigator » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:59 am

I like to stay positive on this admission process. However, I just looked for the 1st time at the law school number site. If this is a good representation, it would seem to me that below 162 or so, without great GPA or this urm designation it doesn't look that promising. Has anyone discenered anything different?

Emma1
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Emma1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:20 am

I disagree! If you look at last years numbers most with a 161 and up were accepted. Some at 160 were accepted if they had a higher GPA. Some at 158,159 with a 3.9 etc. GPA( splitters). They also had acceptances with high LSAT ( 166 plus) and lower GPA( splitters again). Sounds like the 3/16 group this year!

Sky'stheLimit
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:00 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Sky'stheLimit » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:24 am

I think cigator was looking at this years page. If so, sub 162s just havent been admitted yet. The bulk of decision go out during March.

Emma1
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Emma1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:30 am

Sky'stheLimit wrote:I think cigator was looking at this years page. If so, sub 162s just havent been admitted yet. The bulk of decision go out during March.


Yes, I think that many of the numbers posted this year are either auto admits or people who applied earlier. Based on last year's numbers, I think the next group will fill in the gap. Could be a good sign for the 3/16ers!
Last edited by Emma1 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Alexandra24
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:23 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Alexandra24 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:48 am

Hi everyone.. I was DLIT 03/11 and received the letter today (I live in Miami, FL). I was waitlisted.

Emma1
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Emma1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:04 pm

LSN reports very few of the actual acceptances sent out by UF ( around 80) so you can only look at it to show trends.

UFLS2013
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby UFLS2013 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:06 pm

Alexandra24 wrote:Hi everyone.. I was DLIT 03/11 and received the letter today (I live in Miami, FL). I was waitlisted.


care to post numbers?

User avatar
alanabanana
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby alanabanana » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:07 pm

alexandra 24 mind posting #s?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Grizz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:42 pm

I agree with Lomax. Mixed batches with few acceptances. Like Lomax said, they just don't need to pick up many stragglers, especially since their application numbers went through the roof I'm sure.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:46 pm

rad law wrote:I agree with Lomax. Mixed batches with few acceptances. Like Lomax said, they just don't need to pick up many stragglers, especially since their application numbers went through the roof I'm sure.


Applications are up, but a similar number of people are simply applying to more schools. The total number of applicants this cycle hasn't risen all that much. So I think yield rates are headed downward. Given that it looks like they're already aiming for a 162 median this year (a 1-point improvement), I'm not sure that there's enough applicants to warrant them being any more selective than that.

UFLS2013
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby UFLS2013 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:58 pm

any more 3/11's with results yet?

User avatar
ScndCareertyme
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:31 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby ScndCareertyme » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:59 pm

I agree with what emma and some others have said; LSN should mainly be used to show trends, it is only going to show about 80-90 admits. going off of last years total admits (granted they are slimming this number down in an effort to decrease class size) it is only representing about 10% of total admits. assuming that TLS/LSN users are mainly a group of overachievers - i think it is an especially non-representative sampling. there is plenty of room for some sub scores, definately sub what has been listed recently on these posts. So for every 2 or 3 bad splitters or sub 160's posted as an admit on LSN, there should be somewhere between 30-40 actual admits with similar numbers. I think the 3/16 is mainly admits w/some wl's

User avatar
ScndCareertyme
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:31 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby ScndCareertyme » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:03 pm

I've also always wondered why they use the Median LSAT and not the Average. I believe the schools as a whole would use whatever qualifier would show a higher number, therefore the Average LSAT is probably below the Median. just my two cents.

Sky'stheLimit
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:00 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Sky'stheLimit » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:09 pm

ScndCareertyme wrote:I've also always wondered why they use the Median LSAT and not the Average. I believe the schools as a whole would use whatever qualifier would show a higher number, therefore the Average LSAT is probably below the Median. just my two cents.



I dont think so. Prestigious law schools/graduate institution inherently admit high outliers, not low ones.

lawduder
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:56 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby lawduder » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:12 pm

Sky'stheLimit wrote:
ScndCareertyme wrote:I've also always wondered why they use the Median LSAT and not the Average. I believe the schools as a whole would use whatever qualifier would show a higher number, therefore the Average LSAT is probably below the Median. just my two cents.



I dont think so. Prestigious law schools/graduate institution inherently admit high outliers, not low ones.


A: 140 140 140 160 160 160 160 - 160 median 151 avg
B: 160 160 160 160 180 180 180 - 160 median 168 avg

It's a lot easier to hide the lower numbers by using medians instead of averages... also USNews reports medians. If USNews started reporting averages, schools like UVA would EXPLODE.

Sky'stheLimit
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:00 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Sky'stheLimit » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:18 pm

lawduder wrote:
Sky'stheLimit wrote:
ScndCareertyme wrote:I've also always wondered why they use the Median LSAT and not the Average. I believe the schools as a whole would use whatever qualifier would show a higher number, therefore the Average LSAT is probably below the Median. just my two cents.



I dont think so. Prestigious law schools/graduate institution inherently admit high outliers, not low ones.


A: 140 140 140 160 160 160 160 - 160 median 151 avg
B: 160 160 160 160 180 180 180 - 160 median 168 avg

It's a lot easier to hide the lower numbers by using medians instead of averages... also USNews reports medians. If USNews started reporting averages, schools like UVA would EXPLODE.


Obviously, different reporting methods would affect each school uniquely. But across the board, due in large to scholarship incentives and in-state tuition rates, a schools LSAT distribution would be skewed on the higher side, and thus moving the avg above the median.
Last edited by Sky'stheLimit on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawduder
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:56 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby lawduder » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:19 pm

Sky'stheLimit wrote:
lawduder wrote:
Sky'stheLimit wrote:
ScndCareertyme wrote:I've also always wondered why they use the Median LSAT and not the Average. I believe the schools as a whole would use whatever qualifier would show a higher number, therefore the Average LSAT is probably below the Median. just my two cents.



I dont think so. Prestigious law schools/graduate institution inherently admit high outliers, not low ones.


A: 140 140 140 160 160 160 160 - 160 median 151 avg
B: 160 160 160 160 180 180 180 - 160 median 168 avg

It's a lot easier to hide the lower numbers by using medians instead of averages... also USNews reports medians. If USNews started reporting averages, schools like UVA would EXPLODE.


Obviously, different reporting methods would affect each school uniquely. But across the board, due in large to scholarship incentives and in-state tuition rates, a schools LSAT distribution would be skewed on the higher side. Obviously, schools WANT higher [strike]numbers[/strike]rankings.

User avatar
p_r
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:35 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby p_r » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:22 pm

My 3/11 letter has informed me of my place on the waitlist (157/3.58). It also states that "as of this date, all Fall 2010 admissions offers have been extended."

User avatar
melicopter
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:24 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby melicopter » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:27 pm

DLIT 3/11- Wait listed today.. (159/ 3.76)

User avatar
ScndCareertyme
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:31 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby ScndCareertyme » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:41 pm

you're right lawduder, i redact my last statement.

cigator
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby cigator » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:42 pm

p_r wrote:My 3/11 letter has informed me of my place on the waitlist (157/3.58). It also states that "as of this date, all Fall 2010 admissions offers have been extended."


Based on this all the 3/16 DIT are waitlist or reject?

User avatar
p_r
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:35 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby p_r » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:46 pm

Either that or they're not telling the truth.

UFLS2013
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby UFLS2013 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:00 pm

I guess UF was not being sincere when they said 3/11 is a "mixed batch"

LoveSaltLife
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:32 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby LoveSaltLife » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:01 pm

p_r wrote:My 3/11 letter has informed me of my place on the waitlist (157/3.58). It also states that "as of this date, all Fall 2010 admissions offers have been extended."


that'd be terribly unfortunate for all of the DLIT 3/16 and 3/17. im still keeping my fingers crossed.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bloomsday, genjustice, Google Adsense [Bot], jjcorvino, joezze, RictusErectus and 9 guests