University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
UFLS2013

Re: University of Florida

Postby UFLS2013 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:14 pm

im still decision pending....

does anyone know if after march 1 notifications are usually waitlist or rejection?

roxbury16

Postby roxbury16 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:29 am

joeysun wrote:
roxbury16 wrote:Same as above...I went decision pending on 1/14 and status changed yesterday to "decision letter in transit." I am so nervous!!

If you don't mind, what were your stats?

162, 3.7

elle86

Postby elle86 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:32 am

UFLS2013 wrote:im still decision pending....

does anyone know if after march 1 notifications are usually waitlist or rejection?

Last year on this thread, it looked like a mixed bag after March 1st, including acceptances, waitlists, and rejections.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:44 am

I'm very tempted to sneak in before the April deadline.

But I'm worried it would be pointless at this point.

stjaba

Postby stjaba » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:21 am

For those who are recent decision letter in transits.... check your status under mailings, you may have confirmation of admission. My girlfriend, whose decision letter is in transit, has "Welcome Letter from Dean Jerry 02/24/2010." I want to say this probably means admission, but I will only breath easily once the letter gets in. :D

Ragnar

Postby Ragnar » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:10 pm

stjaba wrote:For those who are recent decision letter in transits.... check your status under mailings, you may have confirmation of admission. My girlfriend, whose decision letter is in transit, has "Welcome Letter from Dean Jerry 02/24/2010." I want to say this probably means admission, but I will only breath easily once the letter gets in. :D

Mine says that too. That's good news! Anyone know anything about scholarship info?

stjaba

Postby stjaba » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:15 pm

Ragnar wrote:
stjaba wrote:For those who are recent decision letter in transits.... check your status under mailings, you may have confirmation of admission. My girlfriend, whose decision letter is in transit, has "Welcome Letter from Dean Jerry 02/24/2010." I want to say this probably means admission, but I will only breath easily once the letter gets in. :D

Mine says that too. That's good news! Anyone know anything about scholarship info?

I forget if I posted in this thread or another, but I'm a 1L at UF. Last year, I was informed that I had a chance at a scholarship in a separate letter sometime after admission. Sometime in May or the early summer, don't remember exactly when, I received another letter informing me that I got a 2500/semester scholarship. So, you might just have to be patient. If I remember correctly, in the admissions packet last year, there was plenty of information on applying for financial aid.

Edit: In case anyone is wondering, I was in-state applicant with a 3.35 GPA and a 165 LSAT.

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:49 pm

Still RCDP... I feel that the state of Florida has turned its back on one of its own...

isaiah6v8

Postby isaiah6v8 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:54 pm

ram jam wrote:Still RCDP... I feel that the state of Florida has turned its back on one of its own...

I am not from FL, but my wife is and graduated from UF, but I guess I didn't make it clear enough to them that UF was really one of my top choices, certainly my GPA may have kept me out, but considering the other schools that were higher ranked that I got into, I am betting they didn't think I would come.

GoTribe1

Postby GoTribe1 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:19 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:
ram jam wrote:Still RCDP... I feel that the state of Florida has turned its back on one of its own...

I am not from FL, but my wife is and graduated from UF, but I guess I didn't make it clear enough to them that UF was really one of my top choices, certainly my GPA may have kept me out, but considering the other schools that were higher ranked that I got into, I am betting they didn't think I would come.

I've only been RCDP since 1/19, but for the love of something holy speak to me UF.

kickincane21

Postby kickincane21 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:22 pm

FL Resident...accepted 2 weeks ago I think...just got a scholarship offer in the mail today...went to my parents though so just heard via phone call. $18K scholarship over 3 years...so instate $14-$6= $8,000 plus living expenses, not bad.

The only problem is criteria to retain scholarship is 3.2gpa which seems rough. Anyone have any experience negotiating?

stjaba

Postby stjaba » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:31 pm

kickincane21 wrote:FL Resident...accepted 2 weeks ago I think...just got a scholarship offer in the mail today...went to my parents though so just heard via phone call. $18K scholarship over 3 years...so instate $14-$6= $8,000 plus living expenses, not bad.

The only problem is criteria to retain scholarship is 3.2gpa which seems rough. Anyone have any experience negotiating?

3.2 GPA isn't that hard to maintain. The mandatory curve is 3.15-3.25. In other words, as long as you are about median or above, you should be able to keep your scholarship.

nolefan

Postby nolefan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:43 pm

I had that welcome letter from the dean on 2/24 on my status checker earlier today. I checked back just now and its gone. did this happen to anyone else? I hope it wasnt a mistake that it was on there in the first place.

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:48 pm

/
Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Tue May 11, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GatorGirl1230

Postby GatorGirl1230 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:25 pm

kickincane21 wrote:FL Resident...accepted 2 weeks ago I think...just got a scholarship offer in the mail today...went to my parents though so just heard via phone call. $18K scholarship over 3 years...so instate $14-$6= $8,000 plus living expenses, not bad.

Do you mind sharing your stats? :)

nbatty

Postby nbatty » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:47 pm

Do ya'll think at this point the RCDPs are being decided in order (relatively) of their last status date, ie when they went RCDP?

I don't know how many people are left with last status dates of Dec 2009, but would you consider yourself reaches? I went RCDP Feb 11, so I'm thinking I'm going to be in for a long wait.

UF works in mysterious ways...

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:11 am

GatorGirl1230 wrote:

+1

elle86

Postby elle86 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:53 am

Ragnar wrote:
joeysun wrote:I have been RCDP (Reviewed by committee; decision pending) since 12/03/09.

Has anyone else, who has been DP since around that time, gotten any word from UF?

I got my priority notice on 1/19 and decision in transit 2/19. That is after I recently sent another letter of rec and took a tour, you know, just to remind them about me. I wonder how long it takes to get a letter 2 blocks.

I was RC; DP on 12/08/09 and today I got "Decision Letter in Transit," my LSAT is much lower than everyone elses on here, and UF is a reach, but I have pretty good softs (or at least I think so)...

I am hoping for the best :D but prepared for the worst :cry:

Cestjustemoi

Postby Cestjustemoi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:06 pm

elle86 wrote:
Ragnar wrote:
joeysun wrote:I have been RCDP (Reviewed by committee; decision pending) since 12/03/09.

Has anyone else, who has been DP since around that time, gotten any word from UF?

I got my priority notice on 1/19 and decision in transit 2/19. That is after I recently sent another letter of rec and took a tour, you know, just to remind them about me. I wonder how long it takes to get a letter 2 blocks.

I was RC; DP on 12/08/09 and today I got "Decision Letter in Transit," my LSAT is much lower than everyone elses on here, and UF is a reach, but I have pretty good softs (or at least I think so)...

I am hoping for the best :D but prepared for the worst :cry:

I went decision pending in mid December and decision in transit early to mid January. If you recieve a decision in transit before march odds are in your favor it's an acceptance. Final decisions for priority pool are made in march. The majority of the rejects got out then but there are also some fringe accepts and waitlists sent out as well. UF status checker is useless come march my advice to you is ignore it your decision will be coming soon anyway and status checker won't tell you if your admitted or rejected. Good luck!

tilghmab

Postby tilghmab » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:08 pm

stjaba wrote:I forget if I posted in this thread or another, but I'm a 1L at UF. Last year, I was informed that I had a chance at a scholarship in a separate letter sometime after admission. Sometime in May or the early summer, don't remember exactly when, I received another letter informing me that I got a 2500/semester scholarship. So, you might just have to be patient. If I remember correctly, in the admissions packet last year, there was plenty of information on applying for financial aid.

Edit: In case anyone is wondering, I was in-state applicant with a 3.35 GPA and a 165 LSAT.

This, I assume, was after you had accepted your offer of admission? I have briefly scanned over the "named" scholarships and was hoping that they were separate from the $30k award that UF has already offered me -- more money would have a significant impact on my decision; 3.84/168 in-state, in at Michigan and Cornell, waitlisted at Columbia and Chicago. Can you speak to this? I intend on speaking to Financial Aid in the near future if I cannot clarify on my own.

Cestjustemoi

Postby Cestjustemoi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:09 pm

lawduder wrote:
GatorGirl1230 wrote:

+1

I had the same offer and I had a 159 and a 3.4

fcowrx

Postby fcowrx » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:24 pm

Cestjustemoi wrote:I had the same offer and I had a 159 and a 3.4

URM?

kickincane21

Postby kickincane21 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:29 pm

Sorry, only come on during work...I had the original post and my stats are 3.48/164 non-urm, fl resident.

stjaba

Postby stjaba » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:32 pm

tilghmab wrote:
stjaba wrote:I forget if I posted in this thread or another, but I'm a 1L at UF. Last year, I was informed that I had a chance at a scholarship in a separate letter sometime after admission. Sometime in May or the early summer, don't remember exactly when, I received another letter informing me that I got a 2500/semester scholarship. So, you might just have to be patient. If I remember correctly, in the admissions packet last year, there was plenty of information on applying for financial aid.

This, I assume, was after you had accepted your offer of admission? I have briefly scanned over the "named" scholarships and was hoping that they were separate from the $30k award that UF has already offered me -- more money would have a significant impact on my decision; 3.84/168 in-state, in at Michigan and Cornell, waitlisted at Columbia and Chicago. Can you speak to this? I intend on speaking to Financial Aid in the near future if I cannot clarify on my own.

I received the actual scholarship letter way after I accepted my offer. I don't remember if the "possibility" of a scholarship letter was before or after I accepted, though. I would speculate that the named scholarships are not separate from the award you already received. My scholarship offer wasn't "named", but in the Fall, I found out that the funds for my scholarship came out of two different named scholarships. I would recommend calling the admissions/financial aid office to verify this though. Your best bet is probably to negotiate with the school and explain the impact that more money would make for you. On the other hand, if you are in-state, you already have about a 75% scholarship, and they may be reluctant to give you any more. Tuition for in-state students is 41734 over 3 years- I imagine tuition at Michigan and Cornell is significantly more expensive.

Given the state of the economy and the legal market, taking on a significant amount of debt is a risky proposition. Still, if your career goals involve working in big firms in NY or Chicago or whatever, it would be foolish to turn down Michigan/Cornell no matter how much money Florida throws at you. On the other hand, if you are fairly confident you are going to stay in Florida, going to UF is probably the smartest thing you can do.

Cestjustemoi

Postby Cestjustemoi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:45 pm

fcowrx wrote:
Cestjustemoi wrote:I had the same offer and I had a 159 and a 3.4

URM?

I don't think I'm urm, I'm white and NA but I clearly said I wad only a quarter. Im a Florida resident I triple majored and worked fulltime during undergrad tho so maybe that helped.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”