University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Sparky
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:28 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Sparky » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:26 pm

apere054 wrote:I've been under review since November and on January 13th the status went blank for most of the day. Then at night I checked it again and it said "Under review" again but the date changed to 01/13. I'm not really sure what that means. Aaaahhh...I just want an answer...


The same thing happened to me. Does anyone know what this means?

User avatar
mdd05d
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:06 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby mdd05d » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:42 pm

SteelersandGators wrote:
mdd05d wrote:Rule #1 (for those of you who aren't familiar with UF grads/students): If you say anything remotely negative about UF to a Gator they get really nasty and defensive. I think it's a class they all take. It's called something like, Inferiority Complex 101.
:D


Says the FSU grad/student.

And everyone within Florida knows that FSU has a massive inferiority complex to UF. Whether it be with academics, sports, or just overall popularity of the respective schools.

And it wasn't that he said something negative about UF.... I've said negative stuff about the place myself. It's that he said something FALSE.


Thank you for proving my point, I knew you would! :lol:

hypo
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:56 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby hypo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:34 am

mattyboy7we wrote:I go to UF also, however it looks like you just didn't go out much/ make friends. I can honestly say it was the best four years of my life that went by TOO FAST. It isn't a bad school and the fact that I can go for free makes that much better. So if you consider winning 4 national championships, having one of the best night life/ club/ bar scenes for a college town, and a good education not "much to make anything of" then you wasted your undergrad.

I'm not trying to be mean but I hate when people talk down about UF....


So what is there to do if you don't want your life to revolve around expensive late night booze several nights per week? The sports are cool if you're into them, but what about the rest of the year?

Beach: 2 hour one way drive, same for any boat bigger than a canoe.
Cultured stuff, museums, sightseeing, etc: Nothing
Hiking/hunting/fishing: You need a car, but tons of options within 30 minutes.
Attractions: Busch Gardens, Tampa; Disney/Universal Orlando
Pro sports: 2+ hour drive
Concerts/shows: Some small time stuff, but again 2 hours to the big cities for anything good
Entertainment: movie theaters, bars, drinking clubs; what about comedy clubs, live music (regularly), something like a Dave & Busters, etc
Shopping: a few chain stores, mall isn't that nice
Food: 2-3 local restaurants I'd recommend, everything else is cheap/crappy chains, grocery selections are limited especially fresh food because people don't cook

User avatar
alirod12
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:47 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby alirod12 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:11 am

hypo wrote:
mattyboy7we wrote:I go to UF also, however it looks like you just didn't go out much/ make friends. I can honestly say it was the best four years of my life that went by TOO FAST. It isn't a bad school and the fact that I can go for free makes that much better. So if you consider winning 4 national championships, having one of the best night life/ club/ bar scenes for a college town, and a good education not "much to make anything of" then you wasted your undergrad.

I'm not trying to be mean but I hate when people talk down about UF....


So what is there to do if you don't want your life to revolve around expensive late night booze several nights per week? The sports are cool if you're into them, but what about the rest of the year?

Beach: 2 hour one way drive, same for any boat bigger than a canoe.
Cultured stuff, museums, sightseeing, etc: Nothing
Hiking/hunting/fishing: You need a car, but tons of options within 30 minutes.
Attractions: Busch Gardens, Tampa; Disney/Universal Orlando
Pro sports: 2+ hour drive
Concerts/shows: Some small time stuff, but again 2 hours to the big cities for anything good
Entertainment: movie theaters, bars, drinking clubs; what about comedy clubs, live music (regularly), something like a Dave & Busters, etc
Shopping: a few chain stores, mall isn't that nice
Food: 2-3 local restaurants I'd recommend, everything else is cheap/crappy chains, grocery selections are limited especially fresh food because people don't cook



Ugh thank fuck someone has a realistic perspective on this site...nice work hypo.

User avatar
tempurabanana
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:13 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby tempurabanana » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:41 pm

Jesus H. Christ on a Popsicle stick. This is by far the most immature thread I've seen on this board. I've always heard that Florida fans are obnoxious and that UF detractors are pretty harsh in their vitriol, but way to make us all look like a bunch jackasses, guys. This is just embarrassing.

Anyway, I'm "All Documents Received," but I never received the link to pay the application fee. I applied on 1/07/08 but didn't receive the login for the application status until yesterday. I don't really want to bother the admissions people since last time I called they were kind of nasty, but at what point should I start worrying/antagonizing admissions?

Any chance they'll give me a decision without paying the fee? :D

User avatar
alirod12
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:47 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby alirod12 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:21 pm

tempurabanana wrote:Jesus H. Christ on a Popsicle stick. This is by far the most immature thread I've seen on this board. I've always heard that Florida fans are obnoxious and that UF detractors are pretty harsh in their vitriol, but way to make us all look like a bunch jackasses, guys. This is just embarrassing.

Anyway, I'm "All Documents Received," but I never received the link to pay the application fee. I applied on 1/07/08 but didn't receive the login for the application status until yesterday. I don't really want to bother the admissions people since last time I called they were kind of nasty, but at what point should I start worrying/antagonizing admissions?

Any chance they'll give me a decision without paying the fee? :D


Banana you funny I like you smile :)

mattyboy7we
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:55 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby mattyboy7we » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:33 pm

hypo wrote:
mattyboy7we wrote:I go to UF also, however it looks like you just didn't go out much/ make friends. I can honestly say it was the best four years of my life that went by TOO FAST. It isn't a bad school and the fact that I can go for free makes that much better. So if you consider winning 4 national championships, having one of the best night life/ club/ bar scenes for a college town, and a good education not "much to make anything of" then you wasted your undergrad.

I'm not trying to be mean but I hate when people talk down about UF....


So what is there to do if you don't want your life to revolve around expensive late night booze several nights per week? The sports are cool if you're into them, but what about the rest of the year?

Beach: 2 hour one way drive, same for any boat bigger than a canoe.
Cultured stuff, museums, sightseeing, etc: Nothing
Hiking/hunting/fishing: You need a car, but tons of options within 30 minutes.
Attractions: Busch Gardens, Tampa; Disney/Universal Orlando
Pro sports: 2+ hour drive
Concerts/shows: Some small time stuff, but again 2 hours to the big cities for anything good
Entertainment: movie theaters, bars, drinking clubs; what about comedy clubs, live music (regularly), something like a Dave & Busters, etc
Shopping: a few chain stores, mall isn't that nice
Food: 2-3 local restaurants I'd recommend, everything else is cheap/crappy chains, grocery selections are limited especially fresh food because people don't cook


WRONG!!! Its almost funny how you put this up here and you seem to know nothing.

Beach: yes 2 hours away, so cry about it. For boats its called LAKE WALBERG that UF has full facilites at and you can go boating.
Culture: Historic downtown gville, there is a museum ON CAMPUS!!!
Hiking/fishing: We live near all of that
pro sports 2 hours?? I will tell you a little town called JACKSONVILLE an hour away.
Concerts? WRONG AGAIN!! Many top performers have played on campus such as lil wayne, david banner, ne-yo, carrie underwood, fabolous ect. So get you facts straight.
Food: there are chain restaurants like any other town but TONS of local places that are amazing. I find it hard to believe you know gville and only like 2-3 places?? Try driving around.
Oh and to add on to this, the grocery selection is limited?? NO. Everything from publix to fresh food and seafood markets downtown...and I can't believe you just stereotyped the entire population by saying people don't cook.

So yes there is much to do right around gville even more if you can hop in a car and take a little drive. And if you dont again, the night life is great.

And since you seen to not be "in" to the sports I'll also enlighten you that after football is done we have that other sport basketball that we won two championships with too.

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby 06072010 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:46 pm

WRONG!!! Its almost funny how you put this up here and you seem to know nothing.
Beach: yes 2 hours away, so cry about it. For boats its call LAKE WALBERG that UF has full facilites at and you can go boating.
Culture: Historic downtown gville, there is a museum ON CAMPUS!!!
Hiking/fishing: We live near all of that
pro sports 2 hours?? I will tell you a little town called JACKSONVILLE an hour away.
Concerts? WRONG AGAIN!! Many top performers have played on campus such as lil wayne, david banner, ne-yo, carrie underwood, fabolous ect. So get you facts straight.
Food: there are chain restaurants like any other town but TONS of local places that are amazing. I find it hard to believe you know gville and only like 2-3 places?? Try driving around.

So yes there is much to do right around gville even more if you can hop in a car and take a little drive. And if you dont again, the night life is great.



It's the students that make Gainesville suck -- honestly the town isn't that bad.

Beach / Water: 2 hrs to Gulf Beach, which I prefer. I mean even UF has Lake Alice and Lake Walberg.

Culture: There are lots of cultural things on campus if you look - butterfly museum, history museum, art museum, ton of concerts, jazz ensembles, book clubs -- it's an academia town, ya cheezehead.

Hiking: Are you kidding? Gainesville is one of the most active towns I've lived in. There are tons of trails.

Concerts: Um, http://www.ticketmaster.com/search?tm_l ... search.y=0 -- tons of acts in town. Notables: Elton John, Bela Fleck, Less Than Jake, Allman Bros,

Pro sports: Jax and Orlando within 2 hours. Plus, you know, the Gators. The UF team is probably better than the Detriot Lions.

Food: Satchels, Bento, That Mushroom place, Tijuana Flats ( <3 ), Melting Pot, the 10 decent sushi places, GatorFood delivery, Satchels, Satchels. And all the decent chain places. Sure there isn't a Peter Lugers, but sheesh. Coming soon: Del taco.

User avatar
gogators
Posts: 272
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:20 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby gogators » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:29 pm

God damn GO GATORS!

hypo
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:56 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby hypo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:22 pm

OK, I was wrong. Gainesville has as much to do as Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Atlanta, Raleigh, Charleston, DC, NYC, Philly, Chicago. You could just look at it's population of 95,447 against UF's enrollment of 49,693 (not including faculty/staff) and see that the city MUST be so much more than the university.

And Tebow's an NFL ready quarterback.

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby 06072010 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:33 pm

Did you seriously just compare Gainesville to DC, NYC and Philly?

Captain Obvious wrote:HEY EVERYBODY THERE IS MORE STUFF TO DO IN NYC THAN GAINESVILLE

hypo
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:56 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby hypo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:47 pm

PKSebben wrote:Did you seriously just compare Gainesville to DC, NYC and Philly?

Captain Obvious wrote:HEY EVERYBODY THERE IS MORE STUFF TO DO IN NYC THAN GAINESVILLE


That's kind of the point I'm trying to get across. There are ways to amuse yourself, but it's not this hotbed of awesomeness certain people are making it out to be.

mattyboy7we
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:55 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby mattyboy7we » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:44 pm

hypo wrote:
PKSebben wrote:Did you seriously just compare Gainesville to DC, NYC and Philly?

Captain Obvious wrote:HEY EVERYBODY THERE IS MORE STUFF TO DO IN NYC THAN GAINESVILLE


That's kind of the point I'm trying to get across. There are ways to amuse yourself, but it's not this hotbed of awesomeness certain people are making it out to be.


True, I would say its a great college town that provides what you need when you are 18-22 but after that I would say its time to leave and move to a real city.

midrangejumper
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:38 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby midrangejumper » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:25 pm

how long did it take you guys to go from "all required documents received" to "complete" and/or UF's version of "complete" on their status checker???

lilquibo
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby lilquibo » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:24 pm

I go to UF law and in defense of the city, it really is the perfect city to attend law school in. Let me explain why: I am a big city guy and will more then likely call one of them my home after law school. However, the problem with living in a big city during law school is that there are too many distractions (i.e. actual fun and cultured shit to do). Gainesville is small and quiet with nothing to do and it will force you to stay home and study which is what you should be doing.

FIRST, If you love football, you will fall out of love with it because Florida fans make football cheesy with their khaki shorts and tucked in polo's. Sports are almost a cult here and for me that's where the game ceases to be fun. So while your classmates are our getting "fucked up" or "trashed" at the game, you will actually want to stay home and study.

NEXT, As far as the nightlife goes, its for small town folk. A bunch of college kids in sandals playing beer pong at a bar, EX-CITE-MENT. Anyone who thinks Gainesville has great nightlife is 1) lame and 2) has never experienced real nightlife. So, once again, while your classmates are at Grog or Swamp getting "waisted" you will WANT to stay home and study.

NEXT, On to the shopping thing. If you base where you go to law school on the shopping you are a baboon. The shopping is fine, if you need to shop for Gucci, Burberry, Dolce, etc etc while you're in law school, you are an idiot. Save your money and go to Manhattan over the winter break and buy all the bullshit you need. That way while all your friends, who are at law school in trendier cities, are shopping on 57th Street you will be at home...yes studying.

NEXT, the restaurants suck. Yes sorry gator's but Dragonfly is not good sushi, anyone who has ever eaten at places like Nobu, R-32, and BondST know the difference. BUT they DO have some quality places to get fresh seafood, organic meats, fruits & vegetables (Fresh Market). So you will WANT to stay home and eat (healthier) and of course since you're home, you'll study too.

NEXT, The town is so small that you won't spend much on gas. I fill my tank once every 3 to 4 weeks (I live a mile from the law school)

FINALLY, After 3 years of Gainesville you will want to get a job somewhere so far from here, you will bust your ass to get the best grades you can so that you can get a job in a bigger city LIGHT YEARS from here.

Seriously, though Gainesville works perfectly for me because it makes me not want to do or spend my money on anything. There is nothing wrong with this town or the Law school. In fact, i love the law school. The professors are great and the students are ok. Think about the things I just mentioned before you decide on any law school. Think about it, law school isn't about being a social butterfly, partying, or living the life. Its about business, learning to act professional and making great contacts (and friends). All the lifestyle shit can come afterwards.

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby 06072010 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:43 pm

nobody has addressed my satchel's claim. DELICIOUS!

lilquibo
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby lilquibo » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:00 pm

PKSebben wrote:nobody has addressed my satchel's claim. DELICIOUS!


I haven't eaten there yet, I'll try it tonight and post my analysis on it later.

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby 06072010 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:10 pm

Sweet. DEEP DISH, DOODER!

User avatar
gogators
Posts: 272
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:20 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby gogators » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:35 pm

PKSebben wrote:Sweet. DEEP DISH, DOODER!


Honestly, about to graduate, and only been there twice, not my cup of tea. But I have about a million friends who swear by it.

midrangejumper
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:38 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby midrangejumper » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:40 pm

how long did it take you guys to go from "all required documents received" to "complete" and/or UF's version of "complete" on their status checker???

User avatar
green918
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:59 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby green918 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:50 pm

gogators wrote:
PKSebben wrote:Sweet. DEEP DISH, DOODER!


Honestly, about to graduate, and only been there twice, not my cup of tea. But I have about a million friends who swear by it.


I ate there tonight and it was delicious.

User avatar
gogators
Posts: 272
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:20 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby gogators » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:04 pm

Ok so this will sound weird, but I told my gf tonite that I wrote that I hardly ever went to Satchels (she loves it btw) and so we went there too. So apparently there were a couple of TLSers there and we didn't even know it.

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby 06072010 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:40 pm

gogators: please DESCRIBE your sachel's experience.

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby coolkatz321 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:44 pm

Sparky wrote:
apere054 wrote:I've been under review since November and on January 13th the status went blank for most of the day. Then at night I checked it again and it said "Under review" again but the date changed to 01/13. I'm not really sure what that means. Aaaahhh...I just want an answer...


The same thing happened to me. Does anyone know what this means?


I would like to know this too... I went from 12/16 to 1/22.

marqban
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:29 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby marqban » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:51 pm

Did anyone skip the "under committee review step"? I went from "all documents received" to "under committee review" and have been stuck there forever. But a friend of mine claims she went to "decision in transit" straight from "all documents received." Did this happen to anyone else? TIA!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”