University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Midnight Rider

Re: University of Florida

Postby Midnight Rider » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:00 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:
Midnight Rider wrote:Any thoughts on if it is worth the $30 at this point with 75% LSAT but a well below 25% GPA? I have my application in and it is waiting on payment. I see all of this about long waits. Since I'm not auto admit, is there a risk that by the time my app is processed, it will be too late to get in with this type of split stat sheet? I'd love to have a UF option, as it would be one of the better schools in which I'm interested.

I won't tell you to save it outright, because my GPA is way way below, but LSAT is above the 75th, and I do have 7 years of WE, but I have been Decision Pending since 11/30 so I would guess I am a rejection or a waitlist, either one sucks for me at this point. But obviously, if your GPA is above mine, or you have some other softs that might make a difference you shoudl forward with it. Are you sure your application will as part of the Primary applicant pool?

It's my understanding that if I get the payment in before March 1, I am considered in the primary pool. I'm probably going to give it a whirl anyway. What's $30 in the grand scheme of things?

tilghmab

Postby tilghmab » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:20 pm

At risk of sounding sounding all puffed-up...

Has anyone else that has been accepted to UF been receiving communication from alumni, faculty, and/or students? Over the past month I have received three e-mails, one from each mentioned group, offering to answer questions, etc...one flattering e-mail in particular from Dean Emeritus Mills.

Opportunity for independent research, particularly under the wing of distinguished faculty, (ie "special attention") is my number-one priority, so I'm hoping these e-mails are UF's way of assuring me that I will have such an opportunity.

Anyone else being similarly recruited? Thoughts?

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:53 pm

tilghmab wrote:At risk of sounding sounding all puffed-up...

Has anyone else that has been accepted to UF been receiving communication from alumni, faculty, and/or students? Over the past month I have received three e-mails, one from each mentioned group, offering to answer questions, etc...one flattering e-mail in particular from Dean Emeritus Mills.

Opportunity for independent research, particularly under the wing of distinguished faculty, (ie "special attention") is my number-one priority, so I'm hoping these e-mails are UF's way of assuring me that I will have such an opportunity.

I've heard from a faculty member -- we had a nice exchange of e-mails, and she answered my questions more thoughtfully than I expected -- and spoke recently with a 1L who was some sort of UF ambassador. (Hope the 1Ls are compensated for volunteering their time.)

Gotta say, I'm impressed that they're doing this. It's given me a good reason to keep them in contention, even with the stingy scholarship.

Franco Columbu

Postby Franco Columbu » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:31 pm

horriblegb wrote:I am approaching the two month anniversary of being under review at U of F, and I was wondering, if :
a) this may be like an informal hold
b) they are waiting to reject me (but then would it say "reviewed, decision pending"?)
or
c) if I should call or continue to "patiently" wait?

Thanks

(My numbers are just about at the 25% for both LSAT and GPA, one higher, one lower, and URM status, in case anyone was curious or wants to rip on me, etc.)

If you're not an auto admit (which it seems) then I suppose they've put you in the stack that will be carefully reviewed later. I don't think calling them will get you any more information than you already have....

Your best option at this point is to pray to God, if you can manage to find him...

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:14 am

Franco Columbu wrote:
horriblegb wrote:I am approaching the two month anniversary of being under review at U of F, and I was wondering, if :
a) this may be like an informal hold
b) they are waiting to reject me (but then would it say "reviewed, decision pending"?)
or
c) if I should call or continue to "patiently" wait?

Thanks

(My numbers are just about at the 25% for both LSAT and GPA, one higher, one lower, and URM status, in case anyone was curious or wants to rip on me, etc.)

If you're not an auto admit (which it seems) then I suppose they've put you in the stack that will be carefully reviewed later. I don't think calling them will get you any more information than you already have....

Your best option at this point is to pray to God, if you can manage to find him...

Thank you for your insight on that!

tilghmab

Postby tilghmab » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:24 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
tilghmab wrote:At risk of sounding sounding all puffed-up...

I've heard from a faculty member -- we had a nice exchange of e-mails, and she answered my questions more thoughtfully than I expected -- and spoke recently with a 1L who was some sort of UF ambassador. (Hope the 1Ls are compensated for volunteering their time.)

Gotta say, I'm impressed that they're doing this. It's given me a good reason to keep them in contention, even with the stingy scholarship.

Interesting. I wonder if much of this aggressive recruiting is targeted at those of us with financial awards. I'm impressed as well...and the T10 is awfully expensive.

melaniec

Postby melaniec » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:55 pm

just got to "reviewed by committee; decision pending" ah! i was "under review by committee" since 1/26. what's the timeframe for getting a decision?

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:57 pm

melaniec wrote:just got to "reviewed by committee; decision pending" ah! i was "under review by committee" since 1/26. what's the timeframe for getting a decision?

Me too, finally! nervous! super nervous!

waverider

Postby waverider » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Decision pending for me as well.

Good luck. Hopefully we find out soon!

Whats the purpose of the "decision pending" anyway? I wish it would just go from Under review to decision in transit. Afterall isn't the application still under review while the decision is depending?

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Decision Pending 2/11 here too, been UR since 1/26

165 , 3.23

Disappointed to be held, was really hoping 165 was auto admit at UF even with a very weak GPA... guess not.

fcowrx

Postby fcowrx » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:26 pm

Decision pending 2/11 here as well, was under review 1/22

Like others have asked, what's the typical time frame for decision in transit now??

Is this really a hold?

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:29 pm

fcowrx wrote:Decision pending 2/11 here as well, was under review 1/22

Like others have asked, what's the typical time frame for decision in transit now??

Is this really a hold?

From what I've read it's basically a hold, but I've heard of some people who are accepted now that were previously decision pending. So (hopefully) they must be revisiting the decision pending stack throughout the process, instead of just at the end.

I'd imagine the latest we get our decision will be late March

Franco Columbu

Postby Franco Columbu » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:46 pm

Application was complete on 02/02
My status just changed to "Under review by committee"

one step closer to a decision!

lacrosse22

Postby lacrosse22 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:09 pm

My status says "Reviewed by committee; decision pending" and I got a phone call from someone from UF who wanted to talk about my application, but I was at work. Now I have to wait to call back until the morning. Anyone else with similar situations?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:14 pm

The professor emails, emails from partners and 1L ambassadors is star-treatment. It is for those of us at or above both 75%. Though I can attest, it isn't just for those getting $$$--as I am getting none so far. Goddamnit.

Franco Columbu

Postby Franco Columbu » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:38 pm

lacrosse22 wrote:My status says "Reviewed by committee; decision pending" and I got a phone call from someone from UF who wanted to talk about my application, but I was at work. Now I have to wait to call back until the morning. Anyone else with similar situations?

sounds serious... I don't think they'd call just to say that you've been rejected

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:52 pm

I got called last night. I still haven't stepped foot into Levin even though I go to UF. Maybe I should check it out.

tilghmab

Postby tilghmab » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:10 am

Cupidity wrote:The professor emails, emails from partners and 1L ambassadors is star-treatment. It is for those of us at or above both 75%. Though I can attest, it isn't just for those getting $$$--as I am getting none so far. Goddamnit.

Be patient!

mlewis87

Postby mlewis87 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:51 pm

I was under review since 1/13. I went DP on 2/12. Hopefully this is good, good luck to all.

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:58 pm

I've been decision pending since 1/15 with a very high LSAT for UF... anyone else in the same boat?

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:02 pm

Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Tue May 11, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:55 pm

whuts4lunch wrote:I've been decision pending since 1/15 with a very high LSAT for UF... anyone else in the same boat?

165 here... decision pending since 2/11. Weak GPA though (3.23), but I haven't heard of any other 165+ on here that UF has held. stats?

roxbury16

Postby roxbury16 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:54 am

ChattTNdt wrote:
whuts4lunch wrote:I've been decision pending since 1/15 with a very high LSAT for UF... anyone else in the same boat?

165 here... decision pending since 2/11. Weak GPA though (3.23), but I haven't heard of any other 165+ on here that UF has held. stats?

I have 162, 3.7 and have been decision pending since 1/14. To the people that UF has called them about their application, what are they wanting to talk about? Is it general stuff or specific things? I'm getting really nervous, I guess they were waiting to see how many high LSAT applications they received before making a decision on the "decision pending" ones.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:20 pm

I've moved to decision pending. I've got a 162 (with a Feb. score on the way which they won't consider in the primary pool). Pretty low GPA, but I have a graduate degree and 3 years WE and some above average softs. I'm pretty nervous, as I'm more on the fence than most people on this thread.

Franco Columbu

Postby Franco Columbu » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:54 pm

JCougar wrote:I've moved to decision pending. I've got a 162 (with a Feb. score on the way which they won't consider in the primary pool). Pretty low GPA, but I have a graduate degree and 3 years WE and some above average softs. I'm pretty nervous, as I'm more on the fence than most people on this thread.

Even though your GPA may be low, look on the bright side, your LSAT is well within the accepted range and your application definitely stands out since the grad degree and WE show maturity...
Just pray that the admissions committee sees it the same way I do!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”