University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Moose Thompson

Re: University of Florida

Postby Moose Thompson » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:08 am

In today via snail mail, really excited about it. Going to be a tough decision on where I end up.

My status changed 2/2 and the letter was postmarked 2/4.

joeysun

Postby joeysun » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:45 am

Moose Thompson wrote:In today via snail mail, really excited about it. Going to be a tough decision on where I end up.

Congrats! Mind sharing numbers?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:53 am

Sent me an Alumni magazine in a large orange package....really pissed me off. It was big enough to be an acceptance packet from another school.

Franco Columbu

Postby Franco Columbu » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:05 pm

Does anyone have insight as to whether or not I have better chances of being accepted as an international student. I'm from Montreal, finishing my undergrad at McGill University. UFlorida is the only American school I applied to.

My numbers are not the greatest, but I'm curious to know if UF generally expects higher numbers from their international students. I had a hunch that it would be easier to get in with lower numbers since they're looking for diversity.

LSAT: 158
GPA: 3.58/4.0
Average EC's
Living in Canada, originally from the Middle-East

Any thoughts?

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 pm

you have a better chance at FSU. Why only UF from Canada?

Franco Columbu

Postby Franco Columbu » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:49 pm

After I applied to many Canadian schools, i was reading up on some American schools and UF caught my attention as a good fit for me. I also spoke to a few people who studied there and only heard good things.

I didn't apply to FSU because I figured that I only want to apply to the best university in the state, and everyone seemed to agree that it was UF. (I don't intend on starting a debate about it)

My instincts told me I should just apply and see where it goes from there, but as time is passing and the winter is getting colder and colder in Montreal, a future in Florida is starting to seem like a good choice.

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:23 pm

joeysun wrote:
Moose Thompson wrote:In today via snail mail, really excited about it. Going to be a tough decision on where I end up.

Congrats! Mind sharing numbers?

Sure, 164/3.6. Non-traditional.

pedigreeofhoney

Postby pedigreeofhoney » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:20 pm

alanabanana wrote:
gatorlion wrote:Ok so UF > FSU in almost every conceivable way, that much we agree. But the most beautiful architecture in Florida? There are two schools that come to mind:

University of Tampa
--ImageRemoved--

Flagler College

WELL i do not agree with u. In every way? Now that you're bringing up arbitrary reasons on why one school is better than the other... let me say one thing. PULL ANY RANDOM GIRL FROM UF AND PUT HER NEXT TO ANY RANDOM GIRL FROM FSU. THEN PULL ANY RANDOM GUY FROM UF AND PUT HIM NEXT TO ANY RANDOM GUY FROM UF. you wanna talk about whats better? OUR SCENERY ALL TOGETHER.
you guys for the most part are stuck up, horrifyingly ugly, dorks (plainly stated).
and as far as the law schools go, uf is 51, fsu is 52 AND in the capitol. the only reason i'm considering UF is because seven years anywhere doesn't sound appealing to me.
GET OVER YOURSELF. you're a large reason why people don't choose UF.

Holy crap, are you 5? "you guys for the most part are stuck up, horrifyingly ugly, dorks (plainly stated)"? Seriously?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:27 pm

Flagler College is infinitely more beautiful than tampa. /discussion

UFLS2013

Postby UFLS2013 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:10 pm

any updates from "decision pending"?

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:34 pm

Franco Columbu wrote:My instincts told me I should just apply and see where it goes from there, but as time is passing and the winter is getting colder and colder in Montreal, a future in Florida is starting to seem like a good choice.

I'd rather live in Montreal...

joeysun

Postby joeysun » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:38 pm

UFLS2013 wrote:any updates from "decision pending"?

I'm still decision pending since 12/3. Have any 12/3'ers heard anything???

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:41 pm

joeysun wrote:
UFLS2013 wrote:any updates from "decision pending"?

I'm still decision pending since 12/3. Have any 12/3'ers heard anything???

Still DP since 12/17, no longer bothered though, have been accepted to other schools that were higher on my list by this point.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:57 pm

Franco Columbu wrote:Does anyone have insight as to whether or not I have better chances of being accepted as an international student. I'm from Montreal, finishing my undergrad at McGill University. UFlorida is the only American school I applied to.

My numbers are not the greatest, but I'm curious to know if UF generally expects higher numbers from their international students. I had a hunch that it would be easier to get in with lower numbers since they're looking for diversity.

LSAT: 158
GPA: 3.58/4.0
Average EC's
Living in Canada, originally from the Middle-East

Any thoughts?

From McGill and you want to go to University of Florida? Why dont you just stay and go to McGill? Unless you dont know French... McGill is like the equivalent of going to NYU or Columbia in the states, and will provide you much surer access to high paying jobs than UF will. Of course the weather is a concern, and there is no income tax in Florida, but I just dont see why if you have the opportunity for McGill why wouldnt you take it?

Well this is all based on McGill not requiring the LSAT. If that has changed it may be a different story.

And if I seem passionate about that, I have a similar situation, trying to decide between US and Canada (dual citizen).

Franco Columbu

Postby Franco Columbu » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:54 pm

I applied to McGill, but realistically with my numbers it doesn't seem likely that I'll get in. Their median GPA is 3.7 and if you take the LSAT they're looking for mid 160's. They don't require the LSAT but if you take the exam then you are required to report your score. I took the LSAT so that I could apply to the other Canadian schools.

I've applied to all the English Common Law schools in Canada (15 or so). With my numbers I can probably get into Saskatchewan, Calgary, or Manitoba, and honestly those are not exactly ideal places to study. Also jobs are less and not as high paying as the US. Combine that with the amount of tax you gotta pay, plus shitty weather, and you have a pretty good reason to head to Florida.

The only factor that has kept me considering Canadian schools is tuition. But Florida will cost the same if I manage to get residency for my second and third years.

I really haven't decided yet. But the way I see it, if I'm not getting into the top Canadian schools, then I'd much rather go somewhere that I would enjoy studying and potentially living. Do you see what I mean?

kickincane21

Postby kickincane21 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:28 pm

So I got my acceptance this weekend (3.48/164) but had a question...I know I will receive any scholarship info in a week or two according to others but was curious.....I have scholarship offers from 3 similar or higher ranked schools (wake, cardozo and pepperdine) ranging from $18-23K but that equals about 50% scholarships at said schools. Well at UF I am a resident so tuition is only $14K so should I be looking for a full ride or about a 50% scholarship.....basically do they base scholarship on the amount offered or the percentages??

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:34 pm

kickincane21 wrote:So I got my acceptance this weekend (3.48/164) but had a question...I know I will receive any scholarship info in a week or two according to others but was curious.....I have scholarship offers from 3 similar or higher ranked schools (wake, cardozo and pepperdine) ranging from $18-23K but that equals about 50% scholarships at said schools. Well at UF I am a resident so tuition is only $14K so should I be looking for a full ride or about a 50% scholarship.....basically do they base scholarship on the amount offered or the percentages??

UF is extremely stingy, I probably wouldn't hold my breath for $$ offers from them.

GatorGirl1230

Postby GatorGirl1230 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:35 pm

kickincane21 wrote:So I got my acceptance this weekend (3.48/164) but had a question...I know I will receive any scholarship info in a week or two according to others but was curious.....I have scholarship offers from 3 similar or higher ranked schools (wake, cardozo and pepperdine) ranging from $18-23K but that equals about 50% scholarships at said schools. Well at UF I am a resident so tuition is only $14K so should I be looking for a full ride or about a 50% scholarship.....basically do they base scholarship on the amount offered or the percentages??

I have pretty similar numbers and I am also a Florida resident, and I haven't received any scholarship offer from UF yet (and I was accepted in December 2009). From what I have been reading, UF doesn't give out a lot of scholarships. Congrats on your acceptance though, and hopefully, you will receive some money from them! :)

UFLS2013

Postby UFLS2013 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:44 pm

UF vs. UNC

thoughts?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:47 pm

UFLS2013 wrote:UF vs. UNC

thoughts?

UF for Florida, UNC for North Carolina. Pretty simple.

I think UNC has the stronger alumni base, however, which probably gives it a little bit more portability (still not much, though).

spearnreel

Postby spearnreel » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:51 pm

...better apply to FL Coastal or Barry.

roxbury16

Postby roxbury16 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:37 pm

So, I just received an e-mail about secondary applicants for UF Law's spring prosepctus...I am pretty sure I am first priority applicant and my decision is PENDING. My numbers are 162, 3.7 I thought it was reasonable to assume I had a chance at UF, but now I am not sure. Does anyone mind sharing their numbers is they are also decision pending?

msv5010

Postby msv5010 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:43 pm

162 3.4, decision pending since 12/17. I've been somewhat confident in recent weeks but I'm starting to doubt my chances. Email didn't really change anything though, same stuff they've sent the last two updates.

Franco Columbu

Postby Franco Columbu » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:44 pm

I think everyone receives the same Prospective Student Update, it doesn't mean you are a secondary applicant.

SAE

Postby SAE » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:50 pm

Franco Columbu wrote:I think everyone receives the same Prospective Student Update, it doesn't mean you are a secondary applicant.

I didn't get it. Last update on 1/13.

I'm DIT 2/2, though. This must mean I am no longer "prospective".

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”