University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:04 am

Tuyarp wrote:Rice University isn't shabby for undergrad.


I was talking Law, but yeah, Rice is a great school. I visited though. The kids seemed nerdy and the women were very unattractive. Needless to say, I did not attend.

boadicea
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:36 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby boadicea » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:59 am

alanabanana wrote:
gatorlion wrote:
alanabanana wrote:I read that as well, about April 1st. Why don't they know that I have to have my decision in to both UM and FSU by then on whether I'm going or not? UF feels as though they are above everyone else it seems. Why am I so hung up on them?


Because it's the best school in the state and until FSU passes it (or their football team finally puts up a fight) UF will keep a lady waiting...



ohhh burn..
well i can't argue with statistics. but i must say, i did get accepted to UF undergrad.. I just wasn't feeling it when I went to visit colleges. Jorts wearings elitists weren't my style @ the time. I've become more open minded as the years have gone on though...hahahahha



Several things:

1. I am quoting this post to show that this poster started the argument with the "jorts wearing elitists" comment. Just saying. You were the one who got this forum off topic. Granted, gatorlion was the one who took it over the line, but that's to be expected on a public forum. Word of advice: don't throw out comments/jabs regarding a school ON THAT SCHOOL'S FORUM. Especially when the topic is supposed to be "Law School Acceptances, Denials and Waitlists: University of Florida."

2. You then went on to prove that your school (FSU) was better and gave several valid points, effectively winning your debate, but concluded your argument with "well I really want to go to UF" and gave an irrelevant reason (having attended FSU for undergrad). Hm. Thankfully, you are considering two very good law schools.

3. To get this back on topic and to avoid beating a dead horse, both schools have very good things going for them. UF has a higher ranking (not much higher), great football program, good job placement, and strong alumni network. FSU may be ranked slightly lower, but their student body has a greater sense of unity and has a lot more fun. Being located in Tallahassee makes FSU superior in access to externships and political experience opportunities.

4. Best of luck to everyone hoping for UF Law or FSU Law.

5. I've been DP at UF since 12/3.

User avatar
xanderdellus
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:58 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby xanderdellus » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:15 am

boadicea wrote:
alanabanana wrote:
gatorlion wrote:
alanabanana wrote:I read that as well, about April 1st. Why don't they know that I have to have my decision in to both UM and FSU by then on whether I'm going or not? UF feels as though they are above everyone else it seems. Why am I so hung up on them?


Because it's the best school in the state and until FSU passes it (or their football team finally puts up a fight) UF will keep a lady waiting...



ohhh burn..
well i can't argue with statistics. but i must say, i did get accepted to UF undergrad.. I just wasn't feeling it when I went to visit colleges. Jorts wearings elitists weren't my style @ the time. I've become more open minded as the years have gone on though...hahahahha



Several things:

1. I am quoting this post to show that this poster started the argument with the "jorts wearing elitists" comment. Just saying. You were the one who got this forum off topic. Granted, gatorlion was the one who took it over the line, but that's to be expected on a public forum. Word of advice: don't throw out comments/jabs regarding a school ON THAT SCHOOL'S FORUM. Especially when the topic is supposed to be "Law School Acceptances, Denials and Waitlists: University of Florida."

2. You then went on to prove that your school (FSU) was better and gave several valid points, effectively winning your debate, but concluded your argument with "well I really want to go to UF" and gave an irrelevant reason (having attended FSU for undergrad). Hm. Thankfully, you are considering two very good law schools.

3. To get this back on topic and to avoid beating a dead horse, both schools have very good things going for them. UF has a higher ranking (not much higher), great football program, good job placement, and strong alumni network. FSU may be ranked slightly lower, but their student body has a greater sense of unity and has a lot more fun. Being located in Tallahassee makes FSU superior in access to externships and political experience opportunities.

4. Best of luck to everyone hoping for UF Law or FSU Law.

5. I've been DP at UF since 12/3.



Boadicea, you should specialize in ADR. You've got the mind of a mediator.

isaiah6v8
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby isaiah6v8 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:23 am

rad law wrote:
Tuyarp wrote:Rice University isn't shabby for undergrad.


I was talking Law, but yeah, Rice is a great school. I visited though. The kids seemed nerdy and the women were very unattractive. Needless to say, I did not attend.


Well if you shift the scope like that, then yes, UT has the best Law School buy USNEWS. I have no quibble with that, UT Law is a great Law school. Though to say head and shoulders when there are at least a couple of other good law schools in the state is a bit overstated. SMU, as you said, is a good school with a good alumni network. Baylor is a good school if what you want to do is be a litigator, and also has a very good alumni network, especially in the state of Texas. Also, from my visits so far, I would say that Baylor has the nicest facilities, though it is not enough for me to want to go there.

If we shift back to UG as was actually being discussed when the thread got derailed, Rice has to be the top school in the state followed by UT, coming in behind UT is a muddle of Baylor, SMU, UH, A&M all very good UG's. I don't think TT can be put into this mix just yet. But if you can't get a good education in Texas, you didn't try. (However, I am a teacher in Texas and I would really not want my child growing up in Texas because of the lack of solid teaching leading up to college.)

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby gatorlion » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:33 am

boadicea wrote:
alanabanana wrote:
gatorlion wrote:
alanabanana wrote:I read that as well, about April 1st. Why don't they know that I have to have my decision in to both UM and FSU by then on whether I'm going or not? UF feels as though they are above everyone else it seems. Why am I so hung up on them?


Because it's the best school in the state and until FSU passes it (or their football team finally puts up a fight) UF will keep a lady waiting...



ohhh burn..
well i can't argue with statistics. but i must say, i did get accepted to UF undergrad.. I just wasn't feeling it when I went to visit colleges. Jorts wearings elitists weren't my style @ the time. I've become more open minded as the years have gone on though...hahahahha



Several things:

1. I am quoting this post to show that this poster started the argument with the "jorts wearing elitists" comment. Just saying. You were the one who got this forum off topic. Granted, gatorlion was the one who took it over the line, but that's to be expected on a public forum. Word of advice: don't throw out comments/jabs regarding a school ON THAT SCHOOL'S FORUM. Especially when the topic is supposed to be "Law School Acceptances, Denials and Waitlists: University of Florida."

2. You then went on to prove that your school (FSU) was better and gave several valid points, effectively winning your debate, but concluded your argument with "well I really want to go to UF" and gave an irrelevant reason (having attended FSU for undergrad). Hm. Thankfully, you are considering two very good law schools.

3. To get this back on topic and to avoid beating a dead horse, both schools have very good things going for them. UF has a higher ranking (not much higher), great football program, good job placement, and strong alumni network. FSU may be ranked slightly lower, but their student body has a greater sense of unity and has a lot more fun. Being located in Tallahassee makes FSU superior in access to externships and political experience opportunities.

4. Best of luck to everyone hoping for UF Law or FSU Law.

5. I've been DP at UF since 12/3.


Laughable. "You suck; we lose and still party" =/= FTW

User avatar
alanabanana
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby alanabanana » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:25 pm

Because it's the best school in the state and until FSU passes it (or their football team finally puts up a fight) UF will keep a lady waiting...[/quote]


ohhh burn..
well i can't argue with statistics. but i must say, i did get accepted to UF undergrad.. I just wasn't feeling it when I went to visit colleges. Jorts wearings elitists weren't my style @ the time. I've become more open minded as the years have gone on though...hahahahha[/quote]


Several things:

1. I am quoting this post to show that this poster started the argument with the "jorts wearing elitists" comment. Just saying. You were the one who got this forum off topic. Granted, gatorlion was the one who took it over the line, but that's to be expected on a public forum. Word of advice: don't throw out comments/jabs regarding a school ON THAT SCHOOL'S FORUM. Especially when the topic is supposed to be "Law School Acceptances, Denials and Waitlists: University of Florida."

2. You then went on to prove that your school (FSU) was better and gave several valid points, effectively winning your debate, but concluded your argument with "well I really want to go to UF" and gave an irrelevant reason (having attended FSU for undergrad). Hm. Thankfully, you are considering two very good law schools.

3. To get this back on topic and to avoid beating a dead horse, both schools have very good things going for them. UF has a higher ranking (not much higher), great football program, good job placement, and strong alumni network. FSU may be ranked slightly lower, but their student body has a greater sense of unity and has a lot more fun. Being located in Tallahassee makes FSU superior in access to externships and political experience opportunities.

4. Best of luck to everyone hoping for UF Law or FSU Law.

5. I've been DP at UF since 12/3.[/quote]

Laughable. "You suck; we lose and still party" =/= FTW[/quote]

quittt being mean. I don't care about your opinion, and I'm glad to see you're so proud of Gators. Hopefully I'll feel the same way if I attend there. I have actually no idea about where I will finally decide on going.

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby missvik218 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:31 pm

I'm withdrawing today, I hope one of you gets my spot!!

isaiah6v8
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby isaiah6v8 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:37 pm

missvik218 wrote:I'm withdrawing today, I hope one of you gets my spot!!

Thanks! I can only hope, DP since 11/30.

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby missvik218 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:38 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:
missvik218 wrote:I'm withdrawing today, I hope one of you gets my spot!!

Thanks! I can only hope, DP since 11/30.

Good luck!

User avatar
Midnight Rider
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Midnight Rider » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:54 pm

Just got my status checker and fee email today. I'm in for a long wait it looks like. I'm definitely not an auto-admit.

I was thinking about it today, and if I had to give one reason for taking the LSAT again to improve, despite having good enough numbers to get in everywhere I targeted, it would be to get auto admit numbers to cut down the wait and stress.

Any guesses or info on where the auto admit/reject numbers are this cycle?

lawduder
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:56 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby lawduder » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:02 pm

Midnight Rider wrote:Just got my status checker and fee email today. I'm in for a long wait it looks like. I'm definitely not an auto-admit.

I was thinking about it today, and if I had to give one reason for taking the LSAT again to improve, despite having good enough numbers to get in everywhere I targeted, it would be to get auto admit numbers to cut down the wait and stress.

Any guesses or info on where the auto admit/reject numbers are this cycle?

I know that some "decision pending" people have LSAT scores all the way up to 164 coupled with 3.7+ GPAs

Tuyarp
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Tuyarp » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:07 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:
rad law wrote:
Tuyarp wrote:Rice University isn't shabby for undergrad.


I was talking Law, but yeah, Rice is a great school. I visited though. The kids seemed nerdy and the women were very unattractive. Needless to say, I did not attend.


Well if you shift the scope like that, then yes, UT has the best Law School buy USNEWS. I have no quibble with that, UT Law is a great Law school. Though to say head and shoulders when there are at least a couple of other good law schools in the state is a bit overstated. SMU, as you said, is a good school with a good alumni network. Baylor is a good school if what you want to do is be a litigator, and also has a very good alumni network, especially in the state of Texas. Also, from my visits so far, I would say that Baylor has the nicest facilities, though it is not enough for me to want to go there.

If we shift back to UG as was actually being discussed when the thread got derailed, Rice has to be the top school in the state followed by UT, coming in behind UT is a muddle of Baylor, SMU, UH, A&M all very good UG's. I don't think TT can be put into this mix just yet. But if you can't get a good education in Texas, you didn't try. (However, I am a teacher in Texas and I would really not want my child growing up in Texas because of the lack of solid teaching leading up to college.)


I was talking about the overall quality of the institutions. I believe that UT, as a whole, is the best university in the state of Texas. Rice may have a better undergraduate program, but many of UT's graduate programs are better.

isaiah6v8
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby isaiah6v8 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Tuyarp wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:
rad law wrote:
Tuyarp wrote:Rice University isn't shabby for undergrad.


I was talking Law, but yeah, Rice is a great school. I visited though. The kids seemed nerdy with that, UT Law is a great Law school. Though to say head and shoulders when

Ifquote]

I was talking about the overall quality of the institutions. I believe that UT, as a whole, is the best university in the state of Texas. Rice may have a better undergraduate program, but many of UT's graduate programs are better.


Well, respectfully, I will have to disagree, I think the hype arm of UT works overtime, while programs like SMU and Baylors have quietly amassed as much respect for their business programs, if not more. Rice as a UG feels nearly ivy league in terms of it's prowess. I think UT could make the claim that while they may not be the best at everything, they do have a hand near the top of everything. Of course if you have UT's money, you better be near the top.
anyway, back to FL.

User avatar
Moose Thompson
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 9:38 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Moose Thompson » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:37 pm

Sky'stheLimit wrote:Go Knights!



"Win or lose we still booze!" That is why I love UCF alum!

User avatar
Gator2010
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Gator2010 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:23 pm

I'm decision pending since 1/14 (161, 154, 3.62). My gf sent in an application later than I did (she actually sent it in January), and she got her acceptance letter today (but she was pretty much auto-admit).

User avatar
Kchuck
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:49 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby Kchuck » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:33 pm

Moose Thompson wrote:
Sky'stheLimit wrote:Go Knights!



"Win or lose we still booze!" That is why I love UCF alum!


We always lose.

lawhawk
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby lawhawk » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:34 pm

Just wanted to say that any "letter in transits" before March will be acceptances. Check LSN on that.

User avatar
Kchuck
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:49 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby Kchuck » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:36 pm

lawhawk wrote:Just wanted to say that any "letter in transits" before March will be acceptances. Check LSN on that.


I'm pretty sure that this is wrong.

User avatar
SAE
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby SAE » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Kchuck wrote:
lawhawk wrote:Just wanted to say that any "letter in transits" before March will be acceptances. Check LSN on that.


I'm pretty sure that this is [strike]wrong[/strike].

ftfy

I'm pretty sure that is RIGHT.

Look at LSN for last year. March is exactly when rejections and wl's started to come around.

kickincane21
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:02 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby kickincane21 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:10 pm

Still no one with a 2/2 "letter in transit" receive anything? Its been 3 days and I live in FL so should have gotten something by now.

lawduder
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:56 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby lawduder » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:53 pm

kickincane21 wrote:Still no one with a 2/2 "letter in transit" receive anything? Its been 3 days and I live in FL so should have gotten something by now.

They're really slow. I live in Florida and it took 9 days to get my letter.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Grizz » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:54 pm

kickincane21 wrote:Still no one with a 2/2 "letter in transit" receive anything? Its been 3 days and I live in FL so should have gotten something by now.


It took me a week to get mine.

lawhawk
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby lawhawk » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:18 pm

I got a huge packet today with another letter. No scholarship info though. I got my acceptance letter mid january.

roxbury16
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby roxbury16 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:36 pm

lawduder wrote:
Midnight Rider wrote:Just got my status checker and fee email today. I'm in for a long wait it looks like. I'm definitely not an auto-admit.

I was thinking about it today, and if I had to give one reason for taking the LSAT again to improve, despite having good enough numbers to get in everywhere I targeted, it would be to get auto admit numbers to cut down the wait and stress.

Any guesses or info on where the auto admit/reject numbers are this cycle?

I know that some "decision pending" people have LSAT scores all the way up to 164 coupled with 3.7+ GPAs


* I have been "decision pending" at UF Law since almost 2 weeks ago. I was accepted to Florida State around the same time. (162, 157, 3.7 gpa) Does "decision pending" translate to waitlisted? Does anyone know how long this step will take to get a decision? Thanks ahead of time if you know the answers...

isaiah6v8
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby isaiah6v8 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:49 pm

roxbury16 wrote:
lawduder wrote:
Midnight Rider wrote:Just got my status checker and fee email today. I'm in for a long wait it looks like. I'm definitely not an auto-admit.

I was thinking about it today, and if I had to give one reason for taking the LSAT again to improve, despite having good enough numbers to get in everywhere I targeted, it would be to get auto admit numbers to cut down the wait and stress.

Any guesses or info on where the auto admit/reject numbers are this cycle?

I know that some "decision pending" people have LSAT scores all the way up to 164 coupled with 3.7+ GPAs


* I have been "decision pending" at UF Law since almost 2 weeks ago. I was accepted to Florida State around the same time. (162, 157, 3.7 gpa) Does "decision pending" translate to waitlisted? Does anyone know how long this step will take to get a decision? Thanks ahead of time if you know the answers...


read back a few pages in the thread and you will see it is like some sort of "hold". I have been there since 11/30/09.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fountainja and 6 guests