University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nolefan

Re: University of Florida

Postby nolefan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:30 pm

gatorlion wrote:...and the rest of the world. Besides your anecdotal, ambiguous evidence that you have achieved more than your UF grad friends doesn't say much, especially if they let a friend go to FSU in the first place! Look, it's really not a competition at all. The USNews has UF pegged #47, while FSU is #102. Some schools that are better than FSU: Marquette, Stevens Institute of Technology, Auburn, Drexel, University of Tulsa, and Iowa State. It's not even in the same league as UF, let alone the same academic tier.

Nobody ever said it was a competition. This is exactly the problem. I never said FSU was better, only that its not ridiculous that someone would choose FSU. But of course, someone from UF has to turn it into a discussion of rankings. This is why people think your obnoxious. Don't go around knocking other schools because yours has had a sudden rise in popularity over the past few years. Not everyone wants to attend a school that prides itself on being 47! There are other things that factor into our decisions.

daviddel03

Postby daviddel03 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:40 pm

i'm a gator, but i have to admit that that dude sounds like big deushbag. We're not all like that, don't worry.

Go gators!

nolefan

Postby nolefan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:45 pm

daviddel03 wrote:i'm a gator, but i have to admit that that dude sounds like big deushbag. We're not all like that, don't worry.

Go gators!

lol. Good to know. Thanks

alanabanana

Postby alanabanana » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:47 pm

nolefan wrote:
daviddel03 wrote:i'm a gator, but i have to admit that that dude sounds like big deushbag. We're not all like that, don't worry.

Go gators!

lol. Good to know. Thanks

to me the elitism at UF shines thru and thru, never ceasing to amaze me. I am only hoping that the law school weens out the obnoxious ones. But, that might be a far fetch hope of mine. We'll see what happens.

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:56 pm

All the worthless arguing aside; I'll tell you one thing, FSU's admissions department is light years ahead of UF's in terms of efficiency.

Trust me, I'm an economist

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:15 pm

Gatorlion has a history of acting douchey on this forum. The differences in UF and FSU for undergrad are minimal at best and neither are going to open any doors for you outside of Florida (and they'll open the same in Florida). A decent amount of UF students, like gatorlion, often think of themselves as attending some sort of "Harvard" in Florida. The students here at Florida State aren't jealous of UF students, trust me. There are lots of us that chose FSU over UF and those same people will be receiving the same quality of education at either institution. The only thing a Florida resident should use to decide between these two schools is who is going to give them the most scholarship money.

full discloser: I really hate living in Tallahassee, but that has nothing to do with the school.

As far as the law schools go, the most recent NLJ graph shows that UF clearly places more students in NLJ250 firms. They also have a larger alumni network to tap as well. Until recently, UF's graduating law class was almost twice the size as FSU's.

Also, unless your undergrad is Harvard, Yale, or Princeton, nobody cares.

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:29 pm

Last edited by gatorlion on Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hookem123

Postby Hookem123 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Well said. Ive been on this forum for 2 days and have run into several UF students bashing other members (including one who was simply asking about making friends). There has always been a sense of elitism surrounding UF (even in Texas) and I am glad that someone has written what many of us around the country think. No one really cares about your undergrad especially when comparing two incredibly similar state schools. Football has more of an impact on your ranking/popularity than anything else, and if there is anything we have learned about college football lately, it's that you fall much faster than you rise.

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:36 pm

Hookem123 wrote:Well said. Ive been on this forum for 2 days and have run into several UF students bashing other members (including one who was simply asking about making friends). There has always been a sense of elitism surrounding UF (even in Texas) and I am glad that someone has written what many of us around the country think. No one really cares about your undergrad especially when comparing two incredibly similar state schools. Football has more of an impact on your ranking/popularity than anything else, and if there is anything we have learned about college football lately, it's that you fall much faster than you rise.

...just like FSU's football program. Giggity giggity OH!

Hookem123

Postby Hookem123 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:42 pm

gatorlion wrote:I have no delusions about UF being akin to a "Harvard" of the south. Not even close. As far as elitism goes, that stems from being valedictorian at UF and going to an ivy league school for my first master's. UF is a big fish in a small pond (Lake Okeechobee). I have family and friends who attended FSU for UG and law school so I don't hate the school or anything like that. My problem lies with FSU UGs who turn the academic debate into one in which UF is chided for the quality of its women and similar nonsense.

EDIT: I reject the douchy label; I just reject arguments purporting UF to be inferior to FSU, which is clearly not the case.

I don't believe any FSU undergrads ever started any debate, and they certainly never claimed that their school was better. In fact, looking back, you started this entire debate by spitting off facts about UF's siperiority. Nice attempt at redeemig yourself though.

Sorry to jump into this debate. I saw someone being picked on for asking an innocent question earlier and felt the need to speak up. Good luck to all of you.

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:49 pm

Last edited by gatorlion on Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

alanabanana

Postby alanabanana » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:06 am

gatorlion,
you suck. and you can't understand why someone would choose fsu over uf? that to me is ridiculous, yet non surprising coming from what i have learned about you. You are clearly not, nor nowhere near being a MAN. You are just someone who is stuck in school, because "UF is just awesome". You're on your second masters? Are you going to law school even? Or do you just join these forums to talk about being a gator. LOL. You truly live up to the stereotype you guys have. Congrats on being a high ranking party school, thats rad, especially your club painted like a cow. What I truly love about being a Nole is that win or lose, we're proud, we're partying AND we're suceeding. You guys have this "new money" kind of vibe about you, and that's cool that you can act that way behind a user name. And maybe if you're lucky will have a similar confrontation in person at law school, or better yet, in a court room. Can't wait to prevail up against an almight Gator. Hahahaha.
I know now that no matter WHERE I go, I'll forever be a NOLE at heart.

mango26

Postby mango26 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:14 am

this debate is exactly why i am glad i went out of state for school. almost all of my friends from high school went to uf, and for whatever reason they always find it necessary to tell me why uf is better than my school.
i would think the law school is less this way though...well, i hope so.

alanabanana

Postby alanabanana » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:19 am

mango26 wrote:this debate is exactly why i am glad i went out of state for school. almost all of my friends from high school went to uf, and for whatever reason they always find it necessary to tell me why uf is better than my school.

Sky'stheLimit

Postby Sky'stheLimit » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:21 am

Go Knights!

isaiah6v8

Postby isaiah6v8 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:23 am

Hookem123 wrote:Well said. Ive been on this forum for 2 days and have run into several UF students bashing other members (including one who was simply asking about making friends). There has always been a sense of elitism surrounding UF (even in Texas) and I am glad that someone has written what many of us around the country think. No one really cares about your undergrad especially when comparing two incredibly similar state schools. Football has more of an impact on your ranking/popularity than anything else, and if there is anything we have learned about college football lately, it's that you fall much faster than you rise.

That's pretty rich coming from a Longhorn! A school that gets a majority of its fans by selling t-shirts at Walmart. I think those of us in Texas who didn't go to UT know that UT plays the same card that you are claiming UF does.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:44 am

mango26 wrote:this debate is exactly why i am glad i went out of state for school. almost all of my friends from high school went to uf, and for whatever reason they always find it necessary to tell me why uf is better than my school.

+1. UF people act like it's Harvard. I love UF, but some people there are out of control. Also, I can understand why people go to FSU. I like the campus more than UFs.

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:50 am

alanabanana wrote:gatorlion,
you suck. and you can't understand why someone would choose fsu over uf? that to me is ridiculous, yet non surprising coming from what i have learned about you. You are clearly not, nor nowhere near being a MAN. You are just someone who is stuck in school, because "UF is just awesome". You're on your second masters? Are you going to law school even? Or do you just join these forums to talk about being a gator. LOL. You truly live up to the stereotype you guys have. Congrats on being a high ranking party school, thats rad, especially your club painted like a cow. What I truly love about being a Nole is that win or lose, we're proud, we're partying AND we're suceeding. You guys have this "new money" kind of vibe about you, and that's cool that you can act that way behind a user name. And maybe if you're lucky will have a similar confrontation in person at law school, or better yet, in a court room. Can't wait to prevail up against an almight Gator. Hahahaha.
I know now that no matter WHERE I go, I'll forever be a NOLE at heart.

1) I am absolutely the antithesis of the typical UF guy. All of the Greek letters after my name are honor societies...

2) UF wasn't my first choice for UG, so I have mixed feelings about my time there. However, I can say that no one wasted any breath on worrying about competing with FSU. It was never an issue.

3) I'm leaving a PhD program to pursue a career in environmental law, but I earned my second master's along the way.

4) You will probably end up facing a Gator in court at some point, but you'll be defending a Criminole...

I'm really just pulling your chain here, but clearly I struck a nerve. I apologize for forcing you into a defensive rationalization of your choice for UG. I think we can both agree that in general UF has superior academics, but that when it comes to law schools FSU and UF are very similar in quality. Let's just leave it at that. You're in the University of Florida Law forum after all; you may very well be a Gator/Nole after all! Good luck!

P.S. Again, no one is arguing that UF is like Harvard. It's an absurd comparison at best.

Hookem123

Postby Hookem123 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:15 am

isaiah6v8 wrote:

That's pretty rich coming from a Longhorn! A school that gets a majority of its fans by selling t-shirts at Walmart. I think those of us in Texas who didn't go to UT know that UT plays the same card that you are claiming UF does.

Not thats it relevant. Im in UT for law school not UG. I went to UH. Agreed though

joeysun

Postby joeysun » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:26 am

spitfire935 wrote:Still waiting from 12/3. The email for prospective students last sent says they hope to have all decisions out by 4/1 to give us plenty of time to make a decision. By then, I plan to have either already accepted a school or come close, not look at a new school altogether. Get on the ball UF!

I'm another "Decision Pending" since 12/3. I'm guessing here, but do we all have LSATs that are 162 or lower? It seems like 163 has been the auto-admit figure thus far. Anyone agree?

nolefan

Postby nolefan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:29 am

163 and also pending

mango26

Postby mango26 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:33 am

nolefan wrote:163 and also pending

+1, but my gpa is 3.3 so that might be why

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:39 am

isaiah6v8 wrote:

Isn't UT clearly the best university in its state be several measures?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:45 am

Tuyarp wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:

Isn't UT clearly the best university in its state be several measures?

Yes. Head and shoulders above its nearest competition, SMU.

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:49 am

Yes. Head and shoulders above its nearest competition, SMU.[/quote]

Rice University isn't shabby for undergrad.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”