University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mortalnato

Re: University of Florida

Postby Mortalnato » Thu May 21, 2009 5:10 pm

All I got was waitlist newsletter #1 :roll:

"Please find attached the Update for the Fall 2009 Wait-List Candidates. This electronic publication intends to inform and educate students on the practices for admission to the University of Florida Levin College of Law. "

Rocky Estoppel

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Thu May 21, 2009 11:34 pm

I was just accepted off the waitlist earlier today.

Can you qualify for in-state tuition in your 2nd and 3rd years? I think the only thing holding me back is money. I'm already in at Tennessee with in-state tuition and Florida would cost a lot more. I have to make a decision by Tuesday.

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Thu May 21, 2009 11:37 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocky Estoppel

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Thu May 21, 2009 11:39 pm

AJaKe wrote:
kak23 wrote:I was just accepted off the waitlist earlier today.

Can you qualify for in-state tuition in your 2nd and 3rd years? I think the only thing holding me back is money. I'm already in at Tennessee with in-state tuition and Florida would cost a lot more. I have to make a decision by Tuesday.

iirc it is quite easy to get in-state for 2L/3L. Best thing you can do imo, is immediately sign up for the bar in Florida once you decide. What better way to show commitment to a state then signing up for its bar ... even if you don't plan to actually take it.
Did you decide on Florida or FSU? It's nice to have a hard decision to make but also stressful. Time to make my first poll. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72948

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Fri May 22, 2009 12:06 am

Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cosmickid

Postby cosmickid » Sat May 23, 2009 5:21 pm

I was waitlisted from the secondary pool the other day? I read earlier in this thread that they were only waitlisting or rejecting from the secondary pool, is this true? I spoke with admissions after I faxed the waitlist form back to confirm they got it and the guy I spoke to told me -after all I provided was my name and he told me he couldn't comment on the strenghts of my application as there was a big admissions team- told me that since I was put on the waitlist this early, I had a good chance. I hope this is true, but I have no idea whether or not he looked into my info or he said that because he knows that the WL pool is small? He also mentioned they have used the waitlist a lot this year compared to last, he was very nice and said again that he felt I had a good chance....crossing my fingers!

Machiavellian

Postby Machiavellian » Sat May 23, 2009 8:02 pm

cosmickid wrote:I was waitlisted from the secondary pool the other day? I read earlier in this thread that they were only waitlisting or rejecting from the secondary pool, is this true? I spoke with admissions after I faxed the waitlist form back to confirm they got it and the guy I spoke to told me -after all I provided was my name and he told me he couldn't comment on the strenghts of my application as there was a big admissions team- told me that since I was put on the waitlist this early, I had a good chance. I hope this is true, but I have no idea whether or not he looked into my info or he said that because he knows that the WL pool is small? He also mentioned they have used the waitlist a lot this year compared to last, he was very nice and said again that he felt I had a good chance....crossing my fingers!
I am on that list too and perhaps, God willing, we'll both get in...

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Tue May 26, 2009 4:21 pm

WL today. Actually surprised since my app got in so late due to some miscommunication. 2.6/160 from Wake. Sending in a LOCI tomorrow. Would love to go there!

invictus

Postby invictus » Tue May 26, 2009 11:00 pm

Well Gainesville is kinda lame, but it's close to a lot of cool places to visit, and it does ensure you concentrate on your studies...

Phlash58

Postby Phlash58 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:10 pm

invictus wrote:Well Gainesville is kinda lame, but it's close to a lot of cool places to visit, and it does ensure you concentrate on your studies...

Hope you have a nice apartment to enjoy your studies at. The library, the nicest part of the law school, is open to undergrads (except during finals' week) and is often very crowded.

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:18 am

Machiavellian wrote:
cosmickid wrote:I was waitlisted from the secondary pool the other day? I read earlier in this thread that they were only waitlisting or rejecting from the secondary pool, is this true? I spoke with admissions after I faxed the waitlist form back to confirm they got it and the guy I spoke to told me -after all I provided was my name and he told me he couldn't comment on the strenghts of my application as there was a big admissions team- told me that since I was put on the waitlist this early, I had a good chance. I hope this is true, but I have no idea whether or not he looked into my info or he said that because he knows that the WL pool is small? He also mentioned they have used the waitlist a lot this year compared to last, he was very nice and said again that he felt I had a good chance....crossing my fingers!
I am on that list too and perhaps, God willing, we'll both get in...

I'm assuming I'm on this same WL as I was WL'd a few days after you guys. There was a problem with a missing doc that didn't get to them until early May, then I got the WL letter a few weeks later, so I'm guessing I'm in the secondary pool WL as well? I hope it's a small WL and seats open up, as I'd love to go there instead of reapplying for 2010!

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:28 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shitlawsowhat

Postby shitlawsowhat » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:06 am

so what's the deal on Florida's secondary admissions? I know you can only be wailtlisted or denied, but is it one of those things where if you apply they don't turn you down? Do they let anyone and everyone on it, or is it more like a small list? I was placed on it two weeks ago and I just wanted to know if there is still hope to be selected.

ShiftyPig

Postby ShiftyPig » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:56 pm

shitlawsowhat wrote:so what's the deal on Florida's secondary admissions? I know you can only be wailtlisted or denied, but is it one of those things where if you apply they don't turn you down? Do they let anyone and everyone on it, or is it more like a small list? I was placed on it two weeks ago and I just wanted to know if there is still hope to be selected.

I would think the odds of getting off the waitlist vary on a case by case basis: if you applied late with a 166/3.9, I'm guessing you have a better shot than if you applied in November and were waitlisted with a 156/3.1.

The initial deposit deadline was May 15. At that point, admissions will know about where they stand and what action to take, but the waitlist process can last through the summer.

cosmickid

Postby cosmickid » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:28 pm

ShiftyPig wrote:
shitlawsowhat wrote:so what's the deal on Florida's secondary admissions? I know you can only be wailtlisted or denied, but is it one of those things where if you apply they don't turn you down? Do they let anyone and everyone on it, or is it more like a small list? I was placed on it two weeks ago and I just wanted to know if there is still hope to be selected.

I would think the odds of getting off the waitlist vary on a case by case basis: if you applied late with a 166/3.9, I'm guessing you have a better shot than if you applied in November and were waitlisted with a 156/3.1.

The initial deposit deadline was May 15. At that point, admissions will know about where they stand and what action to take, but the waitlist process can last through the summer.

You are likely correct, as had they had seats available to the secondary pool, they would have given those applicants they liked in that pool those seats. They would not have offered the seats to those waitlisted from the first pool if those in the second pool were more qualified. That being said, I feel that the amount of people waitlisted from the secondary pool is probably quite small (especially in comparison with those waitlisted from the first pool). I think this is the case because during their review of secondary pool they would have had a better picture of seat availability, and I personally think that it would make sense to waitlist less people with less seats available. I guess if you follow my logic, then those waitlisted from the secondary pool could have a greater chance of being admitted than those still on the waitlist from the first pool, as it is likely that the applicants in the new waitlist batch have stronger applications (due to greater selectivity when places people on the waitlist).

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:38 pm

cosmickid wrote:
ShiftyPig wrote:

You are likely correct, as had they had seats available to the secondary pool, they would have given those applicants they liked in that pool those seats. They would not have offered the seats to those waitlisted from the first pool if those in the second pool were more qualified. That being said, I feel that the amount of people waitlisted from the secondary pool is probably quite small (especially in comparison with those waitlisted from the first pool). I think this is the case because during their review of secondary pool they would have had a better picture of seat availability, and I personally think that it would make sense to waitlist less people with less seats available. I guess if you follow my logic, then those waitlisted from the secondary pool could have a greater chance of being admitted than those still on the waitlist from the first pool, as it is likely that the applicants in the new waitlist batch have stronger applications (due to greater selectivity when places people on the waitlist).

This sort of reasoning makes far too much sense to be accurate. 8)

ShiftyPig

Postby ShiftyPig » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:54 pm

cosmickid wrote:
ShiftyPig wrote:

Aside from the speculative assumptions, I do follow your logic. There's the possibility of those 166/3.9's in pool 2 that were autowaitlists that would improve the performance of that group.

I think it overly complicates the issue though: when the admissions committee sits down, both pools are one and your odds are based on the merit of your application.

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:33 pm

Just got this update......Anyone know the exact date for the second seat deposit??

UF Law has received very few cancellations during the later
part of May and first part of June; hence, there has been a
limited additional usage of the fall 2009 wait list. As you may
know, many schools have second deposit dates in mid to late
June, which then creates wait-list activity for other schools,
including UF Law.

Please be assured that the status of the confirmed class is
monitored daily, and should a need arise, the Admissions Com-
mittee will respond quickly. We acknowledge the level of anx-
iety wait list creates, but at this time, this is all the information
we can provide. Additional updates will follow throughout the
summer. Please contact us immediately, if your contact data
changes.

Mortalnato

Postby Mortalnato » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:44 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:Just got this update......Anyone know the exact date for the second seat deposit??

including UF Law.

changes.

I got the same e-mail. I guess they'll be making decisions after June 15th.

Machiavellian

Postby Machiavellian » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:38 pm

Mortalnato wrote:
SpencerPratt wrote:Just got this update......Anyone know the exact date for the second seat deposit??

including UF Law.

changes.

I got the same e-mail. I guess they'll be making decisions after June 15th.

... or maybe even later.

shitlawsowhat

Postby shitlawsowhat » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:09 pm

uh-oh, I didn't get this email and im on the waitlist. Should I be worried?

Mortalnato

Postby Mortalnato » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:47 pm

shitlawsowhat wrote:uh-oh, I didn't get this email and im on the waitlist. Should I be worried?

Hmm... I assumed everyone got it. I checked my UF Status Checker and it doesn't have it listed in the Mailings like the first update. Don't know if that means anything.

Phlash58

Postby Phlash58 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:56 pm

shitlawsowhat wrote:uh-oh, I didn't get this email and im on the waitlist. Should I be worried?

Three people whom were waitlisted from my graduating class by UF sent in their forms; only to find out later UF misplaced them/lost them/used them as toilet paper. If you didn't receive an update you should call, my guess is they threw your shit away. I'm not even joking...

After you confirm I'm right, begin to understand why UF is an atrophying law school. Stay away imo

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:54 pm

I don't remember anything about a 2nd deposit... which is probably a bad thing. Maybe the email meant other schools wl activity could affect UF? or is there another deposit which i totally missed/am unaware of?

invictus

Postby invictus » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:11 am

I haven't heard of a second deposit either...here's hoping such a thing doesn't exist.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”