University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
loro-rojo

Re: University of Florida

Postby loro-rojo » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:49 pm

Just received awesome scholarship offer from UF. The scholarship amount pretty much translates to full tuition plus some $$ for the first 2 years of law school.

grobbelski

Postby grobbelski » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:05 pm

My status has been "all documents rec'd" for over a week now. is this normal?

flhealth

Postby flhealth » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:57 pm

grobbelski wrote:My status has been "all documents rec'd" for over a week now. is this normal?

seriously???? i thought all the decisions had been mailed

HereinMiami

Postby HereinMiami » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:17 pm

loro-rojo wrote:Just received awesome scholarship offer from UF. The scholarship amount pretty much translates to full tuition plus some $$ for the first 2 years of law school.

Wow not to be bitter, but I am a bit, I saw you had a 159 and 3.35 URM, quite a boost considering I had a 165 and 3.46 and straight rejected Non-URM With work experience and quite a unique life stuggles financially putting myself through school. Congrats I guess... Dont mean to be bitter but cant really help but to be so.

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:37 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HereinMiami

Postby HereinMiami » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:57 pm

AJaKe wrote:
HereinMiami wrote:
loro-rojo wrote:Just received awesome scholarship offer from UF. The scholarship amount pretty much translates to full tuition plus some $$ for the first 2 years of law school.

Wow not to be bitter, but I am a bit, I saw you had a 159 and 3.35 URM, quite a boost considering I had a 165 and 3.46 and straight rejected Non-URM With work experience and quite a unique life stuggles financially putting myself through school. Congrats I guess... Dont mean to be bitter but cant really help but to be so.

Please, whine some more.

While I am sure your stuggles were truly a hardship, get over yourself. Have you asked this guy how many struggles he has had? Stop being bitter, cause yeah .. you are def being ridic, and you need to get over this drama llama you are creating for yourself.

Maybe UF didn't like your DWLS, maybe they didn't like your personal statement. Don't assume that you did not get in because you are a white male, that is just as bad as assuming this guy got in because he was a URM.

Food for thought: They waitlisted my white ass with a lower LSAT and lower GPA. Sorry, but they just aren't that into you.

While I can truly appreciate your response I also have a right to express my opinion, whether I am bitter, angry, or frustrated. I understand that everyone struggles in their own way, but I DONT understand why some are given a boost for their struggles. My wife is born and raised in Peru, she has seen some difficult times, growing up with Guerilla warfare and terrorism as an everyday occurrence. However, would that make her more qualified than someone that scored higher than her? Not necessarily.

I am not bitter to those people whom have gotten both what they want and deserve, such as loro-rojo. However, I have a right to be bitter for the situation. Such as I am home tonight on a Friday, late, because I wake up tomorrow to do my 2nd job so I can finish paying for Undergrad. Yes, I am whining, but I do believe that this is an appropriate place for expression of frustration. Congratulations to those who got in, honestly, however if I leave it at a solitary congratulations it would have been half-hearted.

tempurabanana

Postby tempurabanana » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:16 am

HereinMiami wrote:While I can truly appreciate your response I also have a right to express my opinion, whether I am bitter, angry, or frustrated. I understand that everyone struggles in their own way, but I DONT understand why some are given a boost for their struggles. My wife is born and raised in Peru, she has seen some difficult times, growing up with Guerilla warfare and terrorism as an everyday occurrence. However, would that make her more qualified than someone that scored higher than her? Not necessarily.

I am not bitter to those people whom have gotten both what they want and deserve, such as loro-rojo. However, I have a right to be bitter for the situation. Such as I am home tonight on a Friday, late, because I wake up tomorrow to do my 2nd job so I can finish paying for Undergrad. Yes, I am whining, but I do believe that this is an appropriate place for expression of frustration. Congratulations to those who got in, honestly, however if I leave it at a solitary congratulations it would have been half-hearted.

Sure. You have a "right" to be bitter. That's great. However, AJake was just pointing out that you're being an ass about it in a public forum. You think it's bad that you got rejected? Well, how about working hard to get into the school of your choice only for some asshole on the internet to question the fact that you got in over him solely because of your race? A factor that you yourself have absolutely no fucking control over.

As for why a person deserves a boost over someone who hasn't had such a difficult time? It's more freaking impressive. It just is. I was raised with the expectation that I would go to college - it was never a question for my family, and thus they supported me and made sure I had every opportunity to succeed. So the kid from the poor neighborhood who never had his mom read a book to him and whose dad left him when he was five, and whom society-in-general treats as likely to succeed because of his ancestry- yeah, he deserves more credit if he can perform 3/4 as well in school as I did. It's just more freaking impressive. And seeing as this is a state school we're talking about, yes, the state does owe it to the population to see that it takes the best and the brightest from all neighborhoods, from all walks of life, from all ancestries, and trains them to better handle legal matters for all citizens of the state. You can't help people if you can't understand or at least empathize with where there coming from.

And no, this is not the appropriate place to vent your frustrations. The proper place to do that is among friends who won't immediately judge you as being a racist, entitled jerk. If you can't at least feel bad for making an individual question their right to their education, then consider this: it may be the internet, and you may be semi-anonymous, but guess what - it's public record. And it can come back to haunt you.

Sometimes the best thing to do is not to say anything at all.

flhealth

Postby flhealth » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:24 am

tempurabanana wrote:
HereinMiami wrote:While I can truly appreciate your response I also have a right to express my opinion, whether I am bitter, angry, or frustrated. I understand that everyone struggles in their own way, but I DONT understand why some are given a boost for their struggles. My wife is born and raised in Peru, she has seen some difficult times, growing up with Guerilla warfare and terrorism as an everyday occurrence. However, would that make her more qualified than someone that scored higher than her? Not necessarily.

Sure. You have a "right" to be bitter. That's great. However, AJake was just pointing out that you're being an ass about it in a public forum. You think it's bad that you got rejected? Well, how about working hard to get into the school of your choice only for some asshole on the internet to question the fact that you got in over him solely because of your race? A factor that you yourself have absolutely no fucking control over.

As for why a person deserves a boost over someone who hasn't had such a difficult time? It's more freaking impressive. It just is. I was raised with the expectation that I would go to college - it was never a question for my family, and thus they supported me and made sure I had every opportunity to succeed. So the kid from the poor neighborhood who never had his mom read a book to him and whose dad left him when he was five, and whom society-in-general treats as likely to succeed because of his ancestry- yeah, he deserves more credit if he can perform 3/4 as well in school as I did. It's just more freaking impressive. And seeing as this is a state school we're talking about, yes, the state does owe it to the population to see that it takes the best and the brightest from all neighborhoods, from all walks of life, from all ancestries, and trains them to better handle legal matters for all citizens of the state. You can't help people if you can't understand or at least empathize with where there coming from.

And no, this is not the appropriate place to vent your frustrations. The proper place to do that is among friends who won't immediately judge you as being a racist, entitled jerk. If you can't at least feel bad for making an individual question their right to their education, then consider this: it may be the internet, and you may be semi-anonymous, but guess what - it's public record. And it can come back to haunt you.

Sometimes the best thing to do is not to say anything at all.

I hate to take up for hereinmiami, but keep in mind both you and AJake got into better schools than UF, he hasnt....so maybe your perspective is a little different

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:49 am

Last edited by AJaKe on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flhealth

Postby flhealth » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:55 am

meh....it may not be classy for HereinMiami to whine, but its also not classy for loro-rojo to gloat, especially with those numbers

loro-rojo

Postby loro-rojo » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:44 am

flhealth wrote:meh....it may not be classy for HereinMiami to whine, but its also not classy for loro-rojo to gloat, especially with those numbers

Gloat?

Everyone here is posting about their response from UF, and I got a scholarship offer. I simply posted that I got a scholarship. How is that gloating?

HereinMiami

Postby HereinMiami » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:31 am

Look I completely understand. I am not being racist by any means. I am sure that the individual deserved getting in and I am sure that I was rejected for a reason. Additionally, I never stated that the sole reason for acceptance was URM status. It almost seems that the comments made in response were a bit over-reactive, if I came off attacking it was not my intention. Perhaps being bitter was too strong of a word for people here, I retract that statement and replace it with Jealous. Good job for those that succeeded, I clearly didn't get in this cycle and perhaps next if I wait, or Ill move on to another school. I dont think I am alone in thinking that this cycle was a little off.

I also by no means meant to demean the posters achievements. Good job, seriously. Perhaps I was rash, but try and understand both perspectives. I dont wish ill for anyone else, I of course wouldn't want anyone else to feel poorly about being rejected when they deserved to get in. I was just moderately shocked I got rejected. Is it possible to contact the school and get a clear reason why? Or is it a lost cause.

jpin22

Postby jpin22 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:26 pm

Loro-rojo, did you find out by mail or email? It wasnt with your acceptance was it? Thanks

grobbelski

Postby grobbelski » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:36 pm

flhealth wrote:
grobbelski wrote:My status has been "all documents rec'd" for over a week now. is this normal?

**jumps off cliff**

why do you think this? I did apply pretty late, am I screwed?

flhealth

Postby flhealth » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:22 pm

grobbelski wrote:
flhealth wrote:

**jumps off cliff**

i dunno, i thought everybody had a decsion in hand or on the way...either way these last letters of acceptances say they have finished filling their class.(besides waitlist)...so unless they are lying.....

loro-rojo

Postby loro-rojo » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:46 pm

jpin22 wrote:Loro-rojo, did you find out by mail or email? It wasnt with your acceptance was it? Thanks

I found out yesterday through a letter UF sent me. My acceptance package had nothing regarding scholarship awards.

midrangejumper

Postby midrangejumper » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:38 pm

rejected, 3/24 DIT batch. good luck to everyone else.

jpin22

Postby jpin22 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:04 pm

So I found out yesterday that I will definitely be going to UF and couldnt be more excited

VAGATOR

Postby VAGATOR » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:19 am

WL letter came yesteday. Will withdraw Monday via Fedex overnight. :evil:

gdin

Postby gdin » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:12 am

rejected

unbelievable

grobbelski

Postby grobbelski » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:04 pm

flhealth wrote:
grobbelski wrote:
flhealth wrote:

**jumps off cliff**

i dunno, i thought everybody had a decsion in hand or on the way...either way these last letters of acceptances say they have finished filling their class.(besides waitlist)...so unless they are lying.....

FML

ShiftyPig

Postby ShiftyPig » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:24 pm

loro-rojo wrote:
flhealth wrote:meh....it may not be classy for HereinMiami to whine, but its also not classy for loro-rojo to gloat, especially with those numbers

Gloat?

Everyone here is posting about their response from UF, and I got a scholarship offer. I simply posted that I got a scholarship. How is that gloating?

You should be a little more in tune with what is going on in the thread. In the past week a lot of people got surprising WL's and straight rejects. It's incredibly poor form to talk about specifics of a scholarship, especially when people can connect the dots.

I very briefly touched on my merit scholarship earlier in this thread, but only in the context of my disappointment regarding a W&M WL in the same batch of mail.

nychopeful

Postby nychopeful » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:50 pm

Rejected... DIT 3/24

But got a $75,000 scholarship to a not so great school... considering taking it just to reduce debt.

Is this a good idea??

unfgolfer14

Postby unfgolfer14 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:53 pm

nychopeful wrote:Rejected... DIT 3/24

But got a $75,000 scholarship to a not so great school... considering taking it just to reduce debt.

Is this a good idea??

what school?

nychopeful

Postby nychopeful » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:41 pm

unfgolfer14 wrote:
nychopeful wrote:Rejected... DIT 3/24

Is this a good idea??

what school?

... Golden Gate University .... The more i'm researching it, the more I'm thinking hell no... I applied because of a fee waiver and then got this letter in the mail today.

What do you think... will it matter If I go to an 82 ranked school versus one out of the top 100?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”